PDA

View Full Version : starting trouble on the lake

stuttgart
04-17-2006, 12:35 AM
ok so we're out on the lake for about 20 min cruising to a cove then we shut the engine down for about a minute or two, when the driver starts the engine it sounds like it stuggles for a sec then turns over and starts. We ski for a while, then shut it down for a about 30 minutes. When it comes time to start her up again, click, click, nothing. I could hear the bendix on the starter engaging every time i turned the key but it wouldn't even crank. Guage was showing 11-12 volts. I'm picking up a new battery on the way home from work tomorrow, but I was wondering if it isn't the starter or the solenoid.

Does anyone have a schematic of the electrical system on a 96 prostar 205? i want to know this thing like the back of my hand

Also, there is a relay or something next to the battery, two main leads go to batt. pos and neg(see attached image) what is this and what does it do? there are absolutely no markings on it.

Thanks guys, this place is great!

milkmania
04-17-2006, 01:51 AM
dang, I just knew you went after one of those jet skiers finally.....lol

hence
"starting trouble at the lake"

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 03:31 AM
I am willing to bet that your battery is just shot. ICBW so keep up posted :)

#47of100TeamMC
04-17-2006, 08:59 AM
You are holding your solenoid... You can arc a screwdriver over the 2 posts and it's the same as turning the key. (except you get cool little sparks!) 9 times outta 10 if you get the clicking it's a weak battery. Have it load tested where you purchase your new one. Then you'll know for sure. But I'll bet it's just weak and can't take the load anymore.

michael freeman
04-17-2006, 10:20 AM
dang, I just knew you went after one of those jet skiers finally.....lol

hence
"starting trouble at the lake"

I thought the same thing. I was expecting a story of adventure and intrigue, followed by legal advice. ;)

stuttgart
04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
You are holding your solenoid... You can arc a screwdriver over the 2 posts and it's the same as turning the key. (except you get cool little sparks!) 9 times outta 10 if you get the clicking it's a weak battery. Have it load tested where you purchase your new one. Then you'll know for sure. But I'll bet it's just weak and can't take the load anymore.

Ok thanks, thats what I thought (i tried to short it) but I was confused b/c there looks like there is a solenoid on the starter as well. Where can I buy a spare solenoid and a spare starter, are those dealer only items or can I get them at an autoparts store???

I have a spare impeller and all the tools on board I would need, but are there other spare engine or electrical parts that I should carry???

Thanks guys!

Diesel
04-17-2006, 11:36 AM
What year is your boat and what engine? That is not your starter solenoid. It looks like a 50amp dual battery relay/lawn mower starter solenoid. They are sold by a few car audio manufactures and are completely inadequate for our usage.

Where do those two wires go?? I assume one is to the battery but where does the other go?? If it is to the starter it could be the cause of your problems since it will only hold around 100-150 amps.

Give me some more info and we can probably solve the problem....... :)

Workin' 4 Toys
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Post a picture of your starter.

AirJunky
04-17-2006, 04:06 PM
No clue what that thing is, but it doesn't look like stock MC.
But the problem itself sounds like bad battery connections. I had a similar problem on my 94 a while back & replaced the crap connectors with some nicer ones from a high end stereo shop. Now the motor spins way faster & the battery never seems to fail, even after sitting all winter.

EricB
04-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Stuttgart;
Start at the battery - using a DVOM (Digital Voltmeter), place the negative lead onto the battery negative post, and the positive on the positive post (not the cable clamps, the POSTS). If the DVOM (set on Volts) reads 12.4 v. or better, turn the key on. Turn to start. If battery voltage drops to 7 or 6 v., then battery is junk. If voltage stays high, you most likely have a bad connection or possibly a solenoid/starter issue. Let us know what the test results are, then we can direct you further.

lakes Rick
04-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Almost sounds like you ingested water up the exhaust into the engine..

rabooze
04-18-2006, 12:46 PM
A little FYI: I had been having a problem with my batteries. I had two in my boat, one driving the amp and sub and the other for starting. Both batteries were always draining so i took it to the dealer to check it out. They said it was from a lose connection to the battery. I had not screwed down the connectors, just kind of slid them on there. Apparently this will drain them down as well.

sprink
04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Counldn't it be the alternator? Sounds like it didn't even recharge during the ski session. Were you turn the boat on and off for multiple skiers with no problems? Unless there was something drawing power during the 30 minutes, it may not be charging the battery. $.02

rabooze
04-18-2006, 05:15 PM
I meant that mine drained over the weekdays in between weekend outings, not really while I was just sitting in the water in between skiers. The alternator would charge them up while the boat was running.

stuttgart
04-20-2006, 12:21 AM
I got a chance to put a voltmeter on the battery today. The battery shows 12.4 volts and goes down to 10 volts when I turn the key, still only a single click noise. I took the starter off and when I turn the key, still nothing, the gear doesn't even protrude. So, i'm picking up a new starter tomorrow, we'll see if that fixes it. I have also included a pic of the back of the starter, i'm thinking of just tossing the relay next to the battery (photo on the first page) which I assume is for a dual bettery setup. What do you guys think?

thanks for all the help

Diesel
04-20-2006, 10:52 AM
I got a chance to put a voltmeter on the battery today. The battery shows 12.4 volts and goes down to 10 volts when I turn the key, still only a single click noise. I took the starter off and when I turn the key, still nothing, the gear doesn't even protrude. So, i'm picking up a new starter tomorrow, we'll see if that fixes it. I have also included a pic of the back of the starter, i'm thinking of just tossing the relay next to the battery (photo on the first page) which I assume is for a dual bettery setup. What do you guys think?

thanks for all the help

Does one of the wires on the relay go to the starter?? If so I would pull the relay out before you buy the new starter and try it again. It very well could be cutting off critical amperage to the starter.

JimN
04-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Stuttgart- put the blue wire back on your knock sensor.

If the insulation is melted and touching the + post, you may have some issues at some point. That wire is not supposed to get 12V.

stuttgart
04-20-2006, 11:33 AM
yup, right after I took the picture I noticed that and put it back on.

Diesel
04-20-2006, 01:36 PM

If the insulation is melted and touching the + post, you may have some issues at some point. That wire is not supposed to get 12V.

Ha, ha, good catch................ I didn't even see it until you pointed it out :D

stuttgart
04-20-2006, 10:07 PM
new starter, still no start. battery shows 12.4volts (at the terminals or at the wire) and drops less than a volt when trying to start. The solenoid (behind the engine, inside a plastic cover) just clicks, pic of the solenoid attached. Could the solenoid be bad? can I pick one up from an autoparts store?

Thanks guys

Bert
04-20-2006, 10:29 PM
new starter, still no start. battery shows 12.4volts (at the terminals or at the wire) and drops less than a volt when trying to start. The solenoid (behind the engine, inside a plastic cover) just clicks, pic of the solenoid attached. Could the solenoid be bad? can I pick one up from an autoparts store?

Thanks guys
You need a new battery. Jumper the solenoid terminals and see if the starter will spin.

Footin
04-20-2006, 10:34 PM
A fully charged battery should show between 12.60 and 12.80.

12.40 is pretty low.

JimN
04-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Stuttgart- so the solenoid in the picture is clicking, but nothing else is happening, right? The solenoid base needs to be grounded and I don't see that happening from the photo. If you look at the first photo, there's a circuit beraker on the same plastic cover- did you press that to reset it?

If you hear a hard clunk when you try to crank it, you may have hydro locked it, as someone else mentioned. I didn't see if you checked for this by removing the spark plugs. If you didn't, remove them and see if it turns over.

12.4V is light- a fully charged cell will show about 2.2 Vdc each, so a battery with 6 cells (most car batteries) should show about 13.65Vdc.

JimN
04-20-2006, 11:03 PM
rabooze- if your battery is dying between weekends, you have a bad bridge rectifier in the alternator and if this has happened multiple times, your battery is toast. It may charge when you run it but it probably won't pass a load test and is putting a strain on your alternator.

rabooze
04-21-2006, 08:59 AM
When I took it in to MC of Charlotte, I asked them to check it out. They came back with the loose connection causing the drain. They checked everyhting else out. I have not had it hooked back up since I have yet to drop the boat in the water this season, but that will change this weekend. I will see how it goes.

Diesel
04-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Make sure the dual battery relay is removed and then try a new battery.

stuttgart
04-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Yes the solonoid clicks and nothing happens. The solenoid base was grounded I just removed it for the photo, I also made sure the breaker was not tripped. The engine is not hydrolocked as the starter is is not bolted to the bellhousing. I have removed the dual battery relay. I bought a new optima but it needs charging, we'll see what happens with a full charged battery. I'll try to find a new solenoid from an autoparts store.

betsy&david Harrison
04-21-2006, 04:38 PM
We just had to replace the original battery (13 years) two weekends ago. When David took it in the guy said, "I think your warrenty is still good." David said he didn't think so and told him how old the thing was. The guys jaw hit the floor.

You sound like you need a new battery...just like the guys are telling you!

JimN
04-21-2006, 06:55 PM
The starter bolts to the block, is this what you mean? Unmounted, it won't do anything because the mating surfaces and bolts provide the ground path, which you probably know.

Ric
04-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Those arkansas boys can start some trouble!!

stuttgart
04-22-2006, 04:10 PM
In the end it was the starter, I appreciate all the help!

JimN
04-22-2006, 04:38 PM
:toast: Whoo-hoo!!!