PDA

View Full Version : Sorry State Of Teak Platforms

MasterCrafting
09-29-2004, 11:33 PM
I have been looking at some of the boats on this site and shaking my head. Go out an look at your teak deck if it isnt rich in color you have a problem. The oil makes it look better and last longer. Its like that Liberty medical comerical for the blood testing but modified. "Oil your teak deck, oil your teak deck often, there just isnt any reason not to."

I'm Serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Skiufool
09-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Trust me...once the damaged stringer piece gets replaced it'll be back up to par! I've only had it for a short time anyway...its on the list!

Sorry to upset you...I know you were partially making a reference to me!

H20skeefreek
09-30-2004, 04:56 AM
I have been looking at some of the boats on this site and shaking my head. Go out an look at your teak deck if it isnt rich in color you have a problem. The oil makes it look better and last longer. Its like that Liberty medical comerical for the blood testing but modified. "Oil your teak deck, oil your teak deck often, there just isnt any reason not to."

I'm Serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

lol, you are welcome to come and do mine. has anyone used the starbrite gel restorer for teak? I've heard it's really easy to use. Opinions??

also, on my '85 i'm thinking of planing down the top layer to make a smooth top, similar to the current platforms. feelings? Mine is kinda rough. the old owner used to rub it down with transmission fluid once a year.

east tx skier
09-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Oil your teak deck, oil your teak deck often, there just isnt any reason not to.

I don't know about doing having to do it often. If you do it right (clean and sand), and assuming your boat isn't outside all summer, you shouldn't have to do it more than once a year. And that's coming from a guy that puts his ski on while standing on the platform. Looked at it the other day. Still looks great.

G-man
09-30-2004, 10:47 AM
"To each his own" is the phrase.

I am just slightly particular about teak. I had two platforms on my previous boat, one for reunions and one for use. Evan the one for use looked good. All it takes is a light sanding and a couple coats of oilwhen it starts to look rough. It really helps if you can store the platform out of the sun. This can be done easily by having a canvas platform cover made to velcro onto your existing cover or one that ties to the platform.

This winter I may put some table legs on the show platform and have a tempered glass top cut to shape. What wife wouldn't be proud of that?

mgurley
09-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Pretty sweet coffee table.

AirJunky
09-30-2004, 11:41 AM
You guys are hardcore...... I keep my boat on the lake. I tried sanding & oiling it & after 2 days the teak looked like crap.

So now I Traxx'em: http://airjunky.com/traxxed/

I did probably 100 swimsteps this summer alone. I just don't see many people who want to take care of the wood.

When it looks good it's nice, even if it is a bit slick. But keeping it looking good involves hard work & storing it inside. And all I want to do is ride.

Oh and to cap it off..... I just scored a glass step on Ebay for $150. So I just might have a Traxxed wood step for sale shortly.

MarkP
09-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Sorry, MasterCrafting:o

87Craft
09-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Personally, I like the natural teak look...however it must be clean. Oil tends to make the color vairation in teak more obvious (especially over time). Also, I've seen people who restore/oil so much that the teak looks more like knotty pine...not attractive. For me, a good scrub a few times a year keeps me happy.

tph
09-30-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm somewhere between AirJunky and George. I do enjoy showing the boat at the reunions but something functional during the season is the only way to go. I have a "show" teak platform, and a larger carpeted one for the rest of the year.

MasterCrafting
10-03-2004, 09:57 PM
I was thinking about building another one to beat up and keep the real one nice.

Hoosier Bob
10-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Remember to wash your hands and face, brush your teeth and oil your #$%^& teak!
I get the point.
Mine looks good by the way!

NeilM
10-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Balance.. it's all about balance.. Some people put more weight on how the boat looks, others put more weight on getting some use out of the thing.

While I like to keep mine looking nice, if I have to choose from being on the water having fun with the boat or waiting for the oil to dry while everyone else is out skiing, well I'm not waiting for the oil...To be honest, by the end of this season, mine looked like crap. 3 weeks straight in the water while on vacation, getting goose $hit on it every day, lotsa people putting on skis and wakeboards took its toll. But, the great thing is, a little time with the power sander and some fresh oil and now it looks like new..

SkySkiSpokane
10-04-2004, 06:55 PM
H20Skee,
as far as the starbrite gel restorer goes, it rocks! I use it once a year and then use the starbrite oil and sealer. Once a year is enough. The end of the summer it starts to look like you should do it again but not so bad it has those nasty gray spots!!

6ballsisall
10-04-2004, 07:46 PM
I am in the process of dressing up my platform. I bought the Starbrite kit and have done steps one and two with good success. I have done now 4 coats of teak oil, 2 prior to steps 1 & 2 where I sanded with 60 grit paper (this platform was rough) and then just finished coat #2 after sanding down with 120 grit paper to smoothen things up. It sure is soaking up a lot of oil!

I really want it to have that wet, glossy look all the time. What can I do to it to make it look that way?

H20skeefreek
10-04-2004, 08:02 PM
I am in the process of dressing up my platform. I bought the Starbrite kit and have done steps one and two with good success. I have done now 4 coats of teak oil, 2 prior to steps 1 & 2 where I sanded with 60 grit paper (this platform was rough) and then just finished coat #2 after sanding down with 120 grit paper to smoothen things up. It sure is soaking up a lot of oil!

I really want it to have that wet, glossy look all the time. What can I do to it to make it look that way?

you could varnish

6ballsisall
10-04-2004, 08:19 PM
you could varnish

Will that hurt the wood any? Any recommendations on a good varnish for this sort of application?

H20skeefreek
10-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Will that hurt the wood any? Any recommendations on a good varnish for this sort of application?

well, it won't hurt the wood, but it won't look like teak anymore, maintenance is more work (HAVE to sand it ti reapply) and it can be slippery. but it'll be glossy.

Farmer Ted
10-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Mastercrafting:

I submit my swimplatform for your inspection, additionally I stumbled across a good way to hang it up and keep it off the ground. I bought a weedeater hangar from Home Depot and once it was on the wall the swimplatform found it's way onto it.

I think it was only around $4.99. Not sure if you guys with the new platforms could use it unless you hooked it through the mounting brackets.

T

Farmer Ted
10-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Respectfully submitted for your review....

AirJunky
10-05-2004, 12:16 AM

Actually, it cracks after sitting in the sun. I Traxxed one a couple summers ago that had been varnished. Had it not been for a cover of some kind, or sanding it all off, I would have guessed it was garbage.

east tx skier
10-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Tim, you got your boat back yet? Platform looks good. Since I go diagonal in the garage anyway, I just leave mine on the boat. But pretty much everything else is on the wall.

6ballsisall
10-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Here is my swim platform after 50 grit paper, 1 coat of teak cleaner, 50 grit paper again, 1 coat of teak brightener, 2 coats of teak oil, 120 grit paper, 3 coats of teak oil. How's it look?

BriEOD
10-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Nice job! :headbang:

TalleyHo
10-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but why the low grit sandpaper? I would think that would just scratch it up. I would think a super-fine, maybe even wet-paper would be the best way to smooth it down. Perhaps start out a little rougher, but ultimately, why do you not end on a really fine sand paper? Does it get it too smooth so you bust your a$$ when you stand on it? For me, oiling it is sufficient enough for that.

6ballsisall
10-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Tallyho,

I am kicking myself for not getting a before pic. This platform was really rough. you could get slivers by putting your hand on it. Had to break off all the pieces with the big paper first. I am actually contemplating doing like a 250 grit paper now on it and maybe 2 more coats of teak oil.

MasterCrafting
10-05-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm going to give Farmer Ted a 9.0 because i can see where some fin scrapage has lightend the color but overall a very fine piece of wood. Jrandol I am going to give you a 9.0 as well because your teak is older and not fully restored yet. I'm not saying my deck is the greatest either but most decks should be at least a 6.5-10. I'd rate my own about a 9.0 its in the same condition as Farmer Teds.

Keep em comin!

G-man
10-06-2004, 09:54 AM
your platform is looking good. Keep sanding and putting coats of oil on. It is important for the oil to dry completely. I baked mine this summer 93 degrees for 8 hours, then sand again. I used to start 150, 200, 400wet, and 1000wet sand paper. after the 200 I put a small amount of oil in the palm of my hand and rubbed it in till there was little residue on my hand. The best oil is one of the least expensive, Starbright in the white bottle. This is a great project in the winter if you get warm enough to put it outside inbetween coats. One of my photos shows my current platform. I still have my show platform from my 93. It was sanded down to a 2000 wet grit. It looks like furniture, I'll make a table out of it this winter.

ski_king
10-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Ok, what is the best teak oil to use. For years I used a product called Tip Top Teak. It was not a sealer, just a oil. I would add a touchup coat every other week or so and it looked great. When I finished that bottle, I couldn't find it again anywhere, so I went with a Starbright Product. Over the winter I did the cleaning, sanding and added umteen coats with fine grit sanding in between. It looked great.
Until I actually started to use the platform. The finish was chipping off. It is about all worn off now, and I plan to sand and clean it again, and I am looking for a product like the Tip Top Teak Oil I used to use.
Starbright in the white bottle, Amazon or what?

G-man
10-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Starbright in the white bottle. I have put 30 hours on my boat in the last 6 weeks and touched up just the scratches last week. How are people treating your platform when they put on their equipment? Sounds like they are beating it up pretty bad.

bfinley
10-06-2004, 10:50 AM
In regard to the comments about varnish. This spring I powerwashed and stained my teak platform. After that I put on 4 coats of marine varnish. It looks great and stayed looking great all summer. :D I'd post a picture, but I just put it away for winter last weekend.

east tx skier
10-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, as long as we're posting the pictures again ....

ski_king
10-06-2004, 10:55 AM
How are people treating your platform when they put on their equipment? Sounds like they are beating it up pretty bad.
Thanks George,
Actually we usually put or skis on in the water. The finish I had put on became hard and looked like it may have blistered in the sun, then was just flaking off. I am looking for an oil that soaks into the wood.

MasterCrafting
10-06-2004, 10:56 AM
We use Starbright teak oil. Its in a clear bottle. Its good stuff!

east tx skier
10-06-2004, 10:57 AM
MasterCrafting, maybe I missed something, but let's see your teak.

jimmer2880
10-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I'd post one of mine, but you'd probably strangle me. I definitely belong to the "other side".... my teak hasn't gotten much TLC since the baby was born 03/23/03. I only hit it 2x with oil both seasons since she was born. Ohh well... that's the beauty of teak. When I have more time to devote to it, I'll be able to bring it back to "good as new" condition with a little elbow grease.

Sledneck
10-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Yah, You're right MasterCrafting I should really take better care of mine.. :rolleyes

17 years old...

BriEOD
10-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Yah, You're right MasterCrafting I should really take better care of mine.. :rolleyes

17 years old...

The back of that boat looks strangely familiar... :confused: :D

bcampbe7
10-06-2004, 08:52 PM
The back of that boat looks strangely familiar... :confused: :D

You talking about the tow hooks??? I got those too... :uglyhamme

captkidd
10-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Never one to shy away from posting a picture of my platform (Starbright in the clear bottle):

MasterCrafting
10-07-2004, 10:58 AM
I'll get a pick of it soon...I'm liking what i'm seeing

BrianM
10-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Here is a picture of mine it is a large version of my avatar. I like to keep it looking perfect. Usually oil about once a week and use the three step process at the begining of the season.

Tom Wortham
10-08-2004, 04:01 PM
My teak was in pretty bad shape.. Very Gray. No excuses, just skiing too much. Affraid to put a "before" picture on this thread. :eek3: