PDA

View Full Version : Prop for 230/X30...?

bigmac
04-16-2006, 04:30 PM
I haven't been happy with the stock OJ prop on my '04 230VRS. On the '04 and earlier 230/X30's, it's a cast Nibral prop but without the CNC machining found on the '05's and later. The performance is adequate from an acceleration and top speed standpoint, but it vibrates a lot and cavitates a lot more than I think it should. I've had the engine alignment checked twice and the runout checked on the shaft - all OK. I'm seriously thinking about an Acme 847 13.5 LH 17.5 four blade nibral spline bore .105 cup propeller. This was the prop recommended to me by Bill Weeks at Acme. My local prop guy will sell it to me for $399 (same as Acme), and if I don't like it he'll take it back if I agree to pay the shipping. In the meantime, my prop guy went over my OJ, checking balance, pitch and cup (he has the correct block). He said it was "within OJ's specs" but he did tweak it a little. I'll wait to see if his work made a difference before pulling the trigger on the 847, but I confess I'm kind of hot to try it as its performance is reportedly superior to the OJ, both from top speed and vibration standpoint.

Anybody have experience with the Acme 847 on these 230/X30 boats? Any other prop suggestions?

vegashomeexpert
04-17-2006, 10:42 AM
I haven't been happy with the stock OJ prop on my '04 230VRS. On the '04 and earlier 230/X30's, it's a cast Nibral prop but without the CNC machining found on the '05's and later. The performance is adequate from an acceleration and top speed standpoint, but it vibrates a lot and cavitates a lot more than I think it should. I've had the engine alignment checked twice and the runout checked on the shaft - all OK. I'm seriously thinking about an Acme 847 13.5 LH 17.5 four blade nibral spline bore .105 cup propeller. This was the prop recommended to me by Bill Weeks at Acme. My local prop guy will sell it to me for $399 (same as Acme), and if I don't like it he'll take it back if I agree to pay the shipping. In the meantime, my prop guy went over my OJ, checking balance, pitch and cup (he has the correct block). He said it was "within OJ's specs" but he did tweak it a little. I'll wait to see if his work made a difference before pulling the trigger on the 847, but I confess I'm kind of hot to try it as its performance is reportedly superior to the OJ, both from top speed and vibration standpoint.

Anybody have experience with the Acme 847 on these 230/X30 boats? Any other prop suggestions?
Is your current prop the 14 LH 18? Thats what my X30 has and it will suck you back in your seat at starts and tops at about 49. The vibration was taken care of when the prop was refinneshed. Do get some cavitation while, uh, tubing.

bigmac
04-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Is your current prop the 14 LH 18? Thats what my X30 has and it will suck you back in your seat at starts and tops at about 49. The vibration was taken care of when the prop was refinneshed. Do get some cavitation while, uh, tubing.Yes, it's the 14x18. Acceleration is pretty brisk, top speed about 46. Bill Weeks at Acme tells me the acceleration from an 847 will be a little better and the top speed will be a little better too (sounds a little like a sales pitch?). Mostly, he said, the noise, vibration, and cavitation will decrease.

My prop guy did refinish the prop (REAL shiney now) and tap on it in a few places, so we'll see.

Leroy
04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm still using the stock prop, but bought a 4 blade Acme that I need to put on.

http://www.acmepropellers.com/html/list.html

BigBarney
04-17-2006, 11:40 AM
I need to check and see which model I bought for my '03 X30. Long story short, I ended up getting 2 ACME props. Although I am unsure as the model the I put on, it is world better than the stock prop. Acceleration is smoother - but the real plus was the response. I do like it alot better because I can control the speed so much easier now (big plus when wakeboarding). I'll look tonight and let you know. Bill at ACME recommended mine too. If it is the 837, I can probably make you a better deal (I don't need an extra laying around).

bigmac
04-17-2006, 12:45 PM
I need to check and see which model I bought for my '03 X30. Long story short, I ended up getting 2 ACME props. Although I am unsure as the model the I put on, it is world better than the stock prop. Acceleration is smoother - but the real plus was the response. I do like it alot better because I can control the speed so much easier now (big plus when wakeboarding). I'll look tonight and let you know. Bill at ACME recommended mine too. If it is the 837, I can probably make you a better deal (I don't need an extra laying around).

Thanks BB, I'd be very interested to know what prop that is.

Jerseydave
04-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Bigmac,

My '03 230 has a 4-blade stainless, more acceleration than I need with the MCX. I was running 49mph with the old rudder, now seems to be 46-47, BUT I removed my old speedo for perfectpass. Only way to know for sure is with a GPS, which I don't have.
I'm not concerned, as I don't ski, board or barefoot at 46+!

Like I said, the holeshot seems good, that's all I need.

WakeSeeky
04-18-2006, 09:38 PM
We're running the 847 on our '05. We weren't unhappy with the stock prop, but wanted a spare and used the opportunity to get a bit more hole shot. It took a little off the top end and gives a bit better pull at the bottom end. The prop performs just like Acme said it would, so we've been happy.

BigBarney
04-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Edited size -

I checked tonight my extra prop is a 1039 (13.5 x 19.5) - the same as I put on my boat. ACME recommended this given that I wanted more throttle control and have the stronger LQ9 engine. I believe is was a relatively new model last year when I called. I have it and the prop puller package if you are interested. I'd call ACME first and see if they would recommend it for your setup. Keep in mind that I wanted more throttle control for slow speeds (wakeboarding, etc...).

WakeSeeky
04-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Oh, probably should have added that we have the MCX engine. :)

bigmac
04-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Edited size -

I checked tonight my extra prop is a 1039 (13.5 x 19.5) - the same as I put on my boat. ACME recommended this given that I wanted more throttle control and have the stronger LQ9 engine. I believe is was a relatively new model last year when I called. I have it and the prop puller package if you are interested. I'd call ACME first and see if they would recommend it for your setup. Keep in mind that I wanted more throttle control for slow speeds (wakeboarding, etc...).

Thanks for checking. Bill said my poor little MCX wouldn't be happy with that monster prop. :D

BigBarney
04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Whatever you decide to go with, I am sure that you will be happy. The ACME props are the jizzle.

bigmac
05-16-2006, 11:19 PM
I put an Acme 847 on tonight. Nice prop. Gave me a noticeably better hole shot with faster time-to-plane, and about 1 mph on the top end, 47 mph @ 5200 WOT vs 46 mph @ 5150 WOT on the original OJ. Smoother, quieter, negligible cavitation. Overall, a better prop than the OJ 14x18 cast prop that came on the 2003-2004 X30/230VRS with MCX IMHO.

It's the same 13.5 x 17.5 prop as the Acme 381, the only difference being that the 381 is for a tapered shaft, whereas the 847 is for the splined shaft.

vegashomeexpert
05-17-2006, 10:50 AM
I put an Acme 847 on tonight. Nice prop. Gave me a noticeably better hole shot with faster time-to-plane, and about 1 mph on the top end, 47 mph @ 5200 WOT vs 46 mph @ 5150 WOT on the original OJ. Smoother, quieter, negligible cavitation. Overall, a better prop than the OJ 14x18 cast prop that came on the 2003-2004 X30/230VRS with MCX IMHO.

It's the same 13.5 x 17.5 prop as the Acme 381, the only difference being that the 381 is for a tapered shaft, whereas the 847 is for the splined shaft.
You guys are trying to make me spend more money! Sounds like the 847 lets you have your cake and eat it too! :D

WakeSeeky
05-17-2006, 11:31 AM
You guys are trying to make me spend more money! Sounds like the 847 lets you have your cake and eat it too! :D

Hee hee! That's what boats are FOR! It's a relief valve for your extra cash. :D

Bigmac, glad you like your new prop! I should mention that the prop we replaced was the stock OJ CNC prop, not a cast prop. I would guess that is probably why we saw a little drop in top end and you saw a little gain. Anyway, I think both of us saw the results that Acme said we would, so that's nice to know.

vegashomeexpert
05-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Hee hee! That's what boats are FOR! It's a relief valve for your extra cash. :D
Ha Ha :uglyhamme . My kids think THEY are the relief valve... little do they know :D

SteveO
05-18-2006, 12:17 AM

If you don't quit playing with the underwater gear you'll go blind Mac

bigmac
05-18-2006, 07:35 AM
If you don't quit playing with the underwater gear you'll go blind Mac

I plan to stop at the point where I need glasses...

bigmac
06-10-2006, 09:32 AM

Just an update now that I have about 15 hours on this 847 prop....it's amazing!

We ski early every Thursday morning using either my '04 230VRS or my buddy's '04 X-10. Both boats have the MCX, but the difference in acceleration between the two boats, especially in pulling up skiers (one of whom is 230 lbs), is very noticeable, AND the wake is flatter AND the rooster tail smaller than his X-10.

Frankly, I'm very surprised. I've done a lot of propeller experimentation over the years and I certainly expected to give up SOMETHING in switching props, but this one improved things to some degree in virtually every category - noise/cavitation, acceleration, wake, top speed.

I don't know how the Acme 847 would compare to the CNC OJ props that MC started putting on these boats in 2005, but is sure beats the OJ cast 14x18 that it replaced.

Jim@BAWS
06-10-2006, 10:25 AM

We have just started and account with ACME. Bill is probably the most
knowledgable guy I have ever talked to about props. I am sure that he is pointing you in teh right direction. If it does not work send it back

Jim@BAWS

gtink
05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I will have more details later this week, but I just put the ACME 1039 13.5 X 19.5 on my 2003 X-30 MCX 350 HP and my RPM range went from 5300 down to 4600 at WOT. Orginal OJ 14 X 18 on the boat now.

I will run the prop again today and give detailed specs on the run before downshifting to the ACME 845 (size not sure). Will ask bill or Jim to give me details about the 845 Monday 5/14/07.

Have a good weekend all.