PDA

View Full Version : tow rig

sizzler
09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
chaps....having suffered the total loss of my tow-rig,i am on the look-out for a new one.....and having seen some of your trucks i am v.keen on them.....give me your thoughts on rigs available....i have a friend in NY who would buy it for me and ship it over to england......i love the look of the ford super duty with the diesel, king ranch edition..the dual rear looks great...i can just see it backing my black x9 into the lake...having never driven one-a test drive is a long way-give me your views on the dually........
thx

bcampbe7
09-29-2004, 12:50 PM
If I were in England i would be buying a diesel Land Rover Defender. That being said, I don't care for my Land Rover Discovery II as a tow vehicle. It pulls very smoothly but I would get run over if I tried to tow my PS190 down the interstate. The vehicle is too heavy and has little horsepower to perform well on the interstate. It does well enough going the 6 miles from my driveway to the ramp.
Good news is I think I finally got the driveshaft vibrations corrected! :banana:
Are there places to get the Ford worked on over there?

aprgriggs
09-29-2004, 01:29 PM
chaps....having suffered the total loss of my tow-rig,i am on the look-out for a new one.....and having seen some of your trucks i am v.keen on them.....give me your thoughts on rigs available....i have a friend in NY who would buy it for me and ship it over to england......i love the look of the ford super duty with the diesel, king ranch edition..the dual rear looks great...i can just see it backing my black x9 into the lake...having never driven one-a test drive is a long way-give me your views on the dually........
thx

wish you were in the states....my dad has a Ford store in Houston, TX

they can ship one to you, but they would have to fedex the paper work in advance....let me know I will hook you up.

Thrall
09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Sizzler, Ford SD trucks are very good, comfortable, powerful and very capable tow rigs. Think hard about if you need a dually though. A crew cab short box single rear wheel takes a small parking lot to U turn. The dually adds 3' to the width of the back of the truck. Unless you're towing a 10,000# trailer over the road (lots of miles), or have an oversized camper in the box, a dually is overkill for your purposes (very cool looking though.)

mcprostar197
09-29-2004, 02:21 PM
SAY NO TO FORD!!!.....go with the Chevy Silverado 2500 or 3500 HD with the Duramax Diesel engine if you want a pickup. Or you could go with a Suburban or Yukon XL. Our tow rig is a Yukon XL 1500 and it pulls the 197 with no problems, even on the interstate from Colorado to Wisconsin, so in that sense you really dont need the 2500 or 3500 diesel engines if you are just pulling the X9 to the ramp, but i dont know whatelse you tow, or where you would take it so maybe for your needs you would want a bigger engine. ;)

jimmer2880
09-29-2004, 02:56 PM
I agree with Thrall... my ex-rig was a '99 F250 Super Duty, Extended cab, Shortbed, Diesel. No way you need a Dually unless you're upwards of 10,000 lbs towing. It pulled my PS190 like nothing was back there!

east tx skier
09-29-2004, 05:34 PM
I can see this turning into a delightful Ford/Chevy flame war. So I'll just say that my Ford vehicle tows my 205 just fine and hasn't asploded yet.

/door slams. Sounds of locks engaging heard. Earplugs in. "Discuss!"

ski_king
09-29-2004, 05:45 PM
I'd say the Ford Super Duty Power Stroke Diesel is a great choice (the Dodge and GM versions are ok as well). As far as dual wheels, as said before not needed.
Ford is continuing the Excursion for one more year. It may be big, but with the diesel it still gets 18 mpg around town.

bradamerry
09-29-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm a big Ford man when it comes to trucks. The 04' F150 has been beefed up from 267hp. to 300hp. and is awesome. If you are pulling anything smaller than a 30ft. travel trailer, it is all you will need. I've had 9 works trucks and 3 personal, all Fords (F150's,F250's). And I work in the oilfields of east Texas and north Louisiana, they get a great work out! No and I mean NO truck holds up to the pulling and work like a FORD!!! :headbang:

Zach S
09-29-2004, 06:13 PM
'89 Chevy with a 350 and 5 speed manual. Pulls the stars and stripes like a champ. "Shes a gasser but she'll pull" :steering:

Rockman
09-29-2004, 06:18 PM
We pull our MasterCraft with an '02 2500HD Gas. Never had a problem. Also pulled our friends 37 foot Baja (triple axle). Not a problem. :D

Not sure why you would need a Diesel though. Are they easier to fix in Europe or is Diesel just cheaper than gas there? :huh:

I wanted a GMC Dually like the one in Lethal Weapon 2 where he pulls the guy's house down. Just couldn't justify the need for all that power or the extra time it would take to cut the wall out in my family room to fit the thing in the garage. :eek:

Good luck!

DrNautica
09-29-2004, 06:38 PM
No GM vs. Ford here.

I have both.

'02 Excursion w/7.3 Powerstroke running a TS Performance Flip Chip adding 130 HP in the extreme setting.

'95 Chevy Suburban 2500 w/7.4L (454 cu in) big Block gas motor. The wife now drives the Suburban as a daily driver but it got us back and forth to the Lake for 7 years and now sports 270,000+ miles. If I could figure out how to post pics I'd show you that it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Now, that said, there is no way I'll ever go back to a gasser after running a diesel. BTW, you diesel guys should check out TS Performance @ TSPerformance.com (http://www.tsperformance.com/). Check out the video of what they can do with a Dodge Truck. This guy is awsome and I know him personally. A diesel truck that weighs in at 6,000-7,000 pounds running the 1/4 mi in under 11 seconds and 123 MPH! That beats the brand new Corvette hands down!!!

BriEOD
09-29-2004, 06:48 PM
An Excursion and a Burban, holy smokes, how many kids do you have???

Rockman
09-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Better yet, how big is your garage? :D

André
09-29-2004, 08:14 PM
How deep is your oil well?

mcprostar197
09-29-2004, 09:11 PM
D.A.R.E. To resist the Frod Motor Company.
We all will have our opinions, my dad and I have always had good experiences with our Chevys/GMCs.

DrNautica
09-29-2004, 09:39 PM
An Excursion and a Burban, holy smokes, how many kids do you have???

Only 2 kids.

DrNautica
09-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Better yet, how big is your garage? :D

Not big enough! :(

DrNautica
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM

I probably shouldn't mention that we have four boats huh? :cry:

NeilM
09-29-2004, 10:44 PM
André - my thoughts exactly!:D

Sizzler - I cannot imagine anything over there that'd require a dually, but, from what I've seen, if you did get it, there'd be plenty of streets you just wouldn't fit on.

I also think you'd have one of the only pickup trucks in all of the UK -- a real head-turner.:toast:

I've seen a few left hand drive vehicles on the motorways over there.. are there any restrictions?

sizzler
09-30-2004, 02:49 AM
i know the dually is overkill...my amazon(toyota) pulled it great....but i like the look of the dually....as to choice of diesel;...i just like'em...
also i have not seen any in england,and i think it would look too cool....

realistically tho'....i think the swb would be more suited to the streets of london......

thx for the feedback

jimmer2880
09-30-2004, 06:01 AM
I can see this turning into a delightful Ford/Chevy flame war. So I'll just say that my Ford vehicle tows my 205 just fine and hasn't asploded yet.

/door slams. Sounds of locks engaging heard. Earplugs in. "Discuss!"
Don't get me wrong... I had & loved my F250. Now I own a 92 Jeep Wrangler (not very suited for towing the boat more than around the yard), a 99 1500 burban with a 350, and an 88 Chevy 1500 truck - again with a 350. That 350 sure is a great motor - I have 3 of them (that's what is in my 95 PS190 also) :D

The burban & 88 Chevy pull the boat just fine. But - they can't touch the diesel F250 when you hit the mountains.

By the way - I'm in NO way discounting the Dodge or Chevy Diesels. I've just never owned one of those.

east tx skier
09-30-2004, 10:09 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thrall
09-30-2004, 11:20 AM
You really can't beat any of the diesels offered by the big 3 now. They are all purpose built engines, get better mileage than any gasser 1/2 ton and up, outpull any stock gasser and if you plan on keeping a vehicle forever and putting on alot of miles, the initial cost difference of the diesel pays itself off @ about 100k miles and from there on you're money ahead with the diesel.
That said, the Cummins is the most bullet proof of the three. It is a true medium duty truck/equipment engine and it is not uncommon to see the Cummins go 500k miles before needing rebuilt. It's also the cheapest and easiest to mod into a real "smoker."
Gas engines, I have to throw my plug in for the venerable Chev 350, TBI and Vortec. I've had 5 different 1/2 ton Chevs between '90 and '97 models. My first '90 I put 160k on it without any problems (except wear parts: alternator, tune ups, belts) and saw the guy I sold it to about a year later: He put a 5th wheel plate in it and was hauling a stock trailer with it at 200k miles and orig engine and trans (5sp).
If anyone cares, thats my .02

Rockman
09-30-2004, 01:26 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn:

NeilM
10-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Guys, Sizzler's in the UK. When I was there in April, Regular Gasoline was 89 pence per litre ( = $6.04 USD per US gallon). Even Dodge Caravans have diesels in them.. Big block gas engines just don't exist.

As far as GM vs Ford vs Daimler: :popcorn: :popcorn:

NeilM
10-01-2004, 11:08 AM
i know the dually is overkill...my amazon(toyota) pulled it great....but i like the look of the dually....as to choice of diesel;...i just like'em...
also i have not seen any in england,and i think it would look too cool....

Sizzler, go for it.. I'm sure you could get that whole Mel Gibson / Lethal Weapon (2, I think) look going for you... Might do better than Rick in a Porsche...:D