PDA

View Full Version : Fold Away Trailer Tongues

upnorth
04-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Has anyone installed or had one of these installed? Where do I pick one up and how much are they? How much for the install? - Thanks.

JohnnyB
04-15-2006, 07:52 PM
There has been a previous thread on this.....I just did a few searches...you may want to try the search feature on this site.....

I believe wakeside.com sells a pivot tongue conversion kit...

JohnnyB
04-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Search West Marine's website for Fold-Away Coupler....they have 'em in the catalog FULTO# SBC3530101

Sodar
04-15-2006, 07:59 PM
I just installed one on my 96 Trailer a couple months back. The kit is $349 and comes in either a weld on or bolt on kit from pivot hitch. If you order from them, the number there is 909-546-4129. Here is are a few pictures of mine...

http://www.extremetrailers.com/options/pivit-hitch.html

Sodar
04-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Installed and Sandblasted

Sodar
04-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Painted and Folded away...

Sodar
04-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Painted and extended...

Farmer Ted
04-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Installed and Sandblasted

Looks good!

How deep is your garage?

Did you do this yourself or have it done?

What did it run you?

Footin
04-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Very nice....love the set up fot the trailer wires.

Sodar
04-16-2006, 12:58 AM
My garage at home is 20', the trailer with the tongue folded is about 19' 8''.

Well, if you want to talk costs, it is difficult to say because I did a complete overhaulon the trailer. If I isolate just the cost of the tongue, the kit was $349, the welder was $40, and then the new elongated safety cables were an additional $35. Then, you have to throw in paint... I can not calculate this because I had the whole trailer sandblasted and repainted.

Yeah, the wiring setup on the Jet-Connex is awesome. My dad's boat sits on an awesome Extreme Custom Trailer, so I stole alot of the ideas from them. I got pretty deep on the trailer, but the whole thing functions much better now. Besides, a boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand.... Right!?!?!?

erkoehler
04-16-2006, 01:31 AM
No matter what it costs Sodar, it is worth the cost. Boat and trailer look awesome, you'll enjoy it for along time to come until you buy that 197!!!!

Farmer Ted
04-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Do you have any before pictures you can post or email me?

I was looking at my tongue last night and it looks like something has already been welded and bolted onto my trailer and I'd like to see your before the mod if possible

maybe you have one Eric?

Doug, anyone have a shot of their trailer tongue that doesn't fold away?????

aerojt
04-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Sodar where did you buy from? I looked at West Marine, but they look more for light duty, nothing like the one you have in the picture. Thanks!

erkoehler
04-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Do you have any before pictures you can post or email me?

I was looking at my tongue last night and it looks like something has already been welded and bolted onto my trailer and I'd like to see your before the mod if possible

maybe you have one Eric?

Doug, anyone have a shot of their trailer tongue that doesn't fold away?????

There you go....

Sodar
04-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Sodar where did you buy from? I looked at West Marine, but they look more for light duty, nothing like the one you have in the picture. Thanks!

You can get it from Extreme Custom Trailers. Ask for Dave Rogan. Their number is 909-546-4129. Check it out at: http://www.extremetrailers.com/options/pivit-hitch.html

AirJunky
04-24-2006, 07:32 PM
This isn't the folding tongue kit (http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200311795.htm) that was listed in this group a while back, but looks like it would do the job for less $$.

On second thought, the weld on version looks way stronger. I'm not sure this would cut it.

aerojt
04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Yah that one looks kinda sketchy, I would go with the pivit hitch setup, looks like it is meant for "our" trailers, instead of a bass boat or something tiny.

-jt

Liquidfire
04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6236&highlight=swing+tongue

On a 1985 S&S :)

Sodar
04-24-2006, 07:44 PM
They also have a bolt on version from PivitHitch, I did not want it though because I new I was going to sandblast and repaint, so there was not much reason to bolt it on. They hold the patent for this design and use the design for much larger stuff that skiboats. Here is a shot of their bolt-on kit...

Farmer Ted
04-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks Eric! Your set up is the same as mine.

Sodar,

So..... I basically need to chop off anything forward of the red line and unweld the blue line

clean it up and treat the corrosion slap on the new fold away tongue and weld it up.

When you did yours did you not utilze the hole that were already drilled for the safety chain?

Looks pretty straight forward, and it would definately enable me to gain some precious real estate in my garage!

Sodar
04-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Farmer,

I cut at the blue line. The kit slides on the inside of the tube and the requires a bead of weld all the way around. If you wanted to, I guess you could cut at the red, but you would only have 3 out of the 4 sides with a bed on it... and in my mind, the bottom weld would be the most important (Just in my thought process!)

Sodar
04-24-2006, 11:15 PM
One more thing... I do not have a good shot of it, but I did need to relocate my safety cables. When you talk to Dave, just tell him that you need the hardware to relocate it and he will send it out! He is an awesome guy!

Farmer Ted
04-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Farmer,

I cut at the blue line. The kit slides on the inside of the tube and the requires a bead of weld all the way around. If you wanted to, I guess you could cut at the red, but you would only have 3 out of the 4 sides with a bed on it... and in my mind, the bottom weld would be the most important (Just in my thought process!)

OK I got it, I think

you just chopped it off and didn't bother removing the remaining (blue)

Dude, I'm stoked! I can get over half of my garage back!

Now I just need to find an empty 190 trailer so I can get this done.....

Sodar
04-24-2006, 11:20 PM
You can have this whole project done with the boat on it, unless you are going for a complete restoration. It took my welder an hour, a six-pack and $40 to do mine!

Farmer Ted
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM
You can have this whole project done with the boat on it, unless you are going for a complete restoration. It took my welder an hour, a six-pack and $40 to do mine!

I'd really like to redo the entire trailer, it needs it but I guess I could get by with just doing the tongue.

thanks for the info! I'm definately going to get this done.

Sodar
04-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Here are a few ideas, if you want to redo it: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=147&highlight=trailer+refurbish

Farmer Ted
04-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Here are a few ideas, if you want to redo it: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=147&highlight=trailer+refurbish

Thanks again!

Looking at these pictures it looks like you already had a folding tongue?

Did it pivot upwards instead of to the right?

Sodar
04-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I had the crappy MC folding toungue, but all the welds were broken and the thing had about 1 1/2" of play veritcal play in it, which made it loud and jerky when towing. The old MC fold away design was not good. With the new fold away tongue, I was also able to lose about 2" in overall length, giving my just enough room to get the boat straight in the garage. Good luck with the project, I learned a lot and it was fun doing most of the work myself!!

Thrall
04-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks Eric! Your set up is the same as mine.

Sodar,

So..... I basically need to chop off anything forward of the red line and unweld the blue line

clean it up and treat the corrosion slap on the new fold away tongue and weld it up.

When you did yours did you not utilze the hole that were already drilled for the safety chain?

Looks pretty straight forward, and it would definately enable me to gain some precious real estate in my garage!

Farmer, my trailer has a "homemade" fold down toungue. Bought it that way. The hitch was cut off at the "blue" line and across the top too. Then drilled through for 2-ea 3/4 " hitch pins. Flexible brake line was put in just aft of the Master Cyl.
Only problem was the holes weren't lined up just right and 5/8" pins were used and the slop caused the outside part of the toungue to waloow out the holes. I welded a gusset over the top and sides of the tongue and re-drilled @ 5/8" lined up w/ the existing inside holes. It works well and hasn't even started to wallow out any of the holes. Still need to tap the 2nd pin in w/ a hammer due to a slight misalignmnet of the holes.
Near as I can tell, the first mod lasted a good 6 yrs and the trailer has some miles on it. I've towed about 5k miles since repairing it and it's held up quite well.
I'll try to get a pic up here for you to look at.
Might be a good low $ alternative for you.

Farmer Ted
04-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Farmer, my trailer has a "homemade" fold down toungue. Bought it that way. The hitch was cut off at the "blue" line and across the top too. Then drilled through for 2-ea 3/4 " hitch pins. Flexible brake line was put in just aft of the Master Cyl.
Only problem was the holes weren't lined up just right and 5/8" pins were used and the slop caused the outside part of the toungue to waloow out the holes. I welded a gusset over the top and sides of the tongue and re-drilled @ 5/8" lined up w/ the existing inside holes. It works well and hasn't even started to wallow out any of the holes. Still need to tap the 2nd pin in w/ a hammer due to a slight misalignmnet of the holes.
Near as I can tell, the first mod lasted a good 6 yrs and the trailer has some miles on it. I've towed about 5k miles since repairing it and it's held up quite well.
I'll try to get a pic up here for you to look at.
Might be a good low $ alternative for you.

Thanks Thrall!

Sodar
04-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Bump for the "Trailer too long thread"