PDA

View Full Version : HELP -- Blood stains on my vinyl

JohnnyB
04-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Maiden voyage for the year with my boat. Just had my drivers, observers and rear bench seat bottoms reupholstered and sometime during the day, my nephew cut his leg and got blood on all three...... :mad: :mad: :mad:

How do you get blood out of vinyl??????

HELP!!!

erkoehler
04-14-2006, 11:10 PM
303?

Works for everything else....otherwise I have a product called quick clean that will clean just about anything I have tried off of the seats. Including, but not limited to: dirt, sap, mud, tree buds, lipstick, mold, and a small amount of blood.

Hoosier Bob
04-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Maybe this should be handled in a less public forum? Is it in the curtains and the carpet as well? I usually use a small John boat for disposal. Never used my MC. Anyway I heard from a friend of a friend that happens to be italian that the old vinegar and water will work without damaging the vinyl. Peroxide may work as well but I do not know what it does to the vinyl (assuming white) but seams harmless enough! Good luck and if you need an alibi I'll swear you were here all day! ;)

JohnnyB
04-15-2006, 09:22 AM
No alibi needed......we can save that for another day :D

So far last night I tried diluted bleach, peroxide, Mr Clean Magic Eraser....all to no avail. I'm thinking of hitting it with oxyclean

What is quick clean, where do you buy it, who is the mfg?

ski_king
04-15-2006, 09:36 AM
You must not have read post 5 on this thread. (http://)

I have found a product called WORKS, works. It is meant to be a soap scum/hard water remover for showers, etc., but I have found it to work well taking stubbern stuff of upolestery.
http://www.limeosol.com/tub.htm

Try it in a nonconspicious place first, it may eat thru your vinyl.

Leroy
04-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I've never had to deal with this, hope little Johnny is fine......

Google search Cleaning Blood Stains and there is a lot of options.

http://www.doityourself.com/info/blood

bigmac
04-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Blood stains on clothing are an occupational hazard for me, and my wife has a whole regimen for dealing with that stuff. OxyClean is a mainstay of her protocol, as is hydrogen peroxide.

My understanding of vinyl staining is that it's not the vinyl that gets stained, it's the fabric backing. Once that's discolored, getting the stain out is difficult or impossible. I had an upholstery guy tell me that if the stain won't wipe off the vinyl, the only thing that might work is to take the cover off that section and work on the fabric from the back side.

jbfootin
04-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Hey John. Jay here. Sucks about your seats. I have used the scrubbing bubble bathroom stuff. Great for mildew but not sure for blood

erkoehler
04-15-2006, 02:01 PM
No alibi needed......we can save that for another day :D

So far last night I tried diluted bleach, peroxide, Mr Clean Magic Eraser....all to no avail. I'm thinking of hitting it with oxyclean

What is quick clean, where do you buy it, who is the mfg?

i'll go find the bottle......

JohnnyB
04-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Jay.....small price to pay for an awesome day on the water.....

I'd even still invite Joel again although I'm going to give him some $&*t about it next time I see him.

I'm going to fill the kitchen sink with Oxyclean and soak the whole cushion....what've I got to loose.

JohnnyB
04-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Oxyclean didn't work....going to give Amonia a try once it dries again....

Amonia is what the link Leroy provided suggests.....

roddydog
04-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Oxy. Go with that.

JohnnyB
04-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Left the drivers seat bottom soaking in oxyclean overnight.....stain is still there but only if you know to look for it. Barely visible.

However, my back bench seat cushion is too big for the bath tub.....not sure what I'm going to do. Thinking of building a box out of some scrap wood and lining it with builders plastic to hold enough water to soak the seat face down in about 2" of oxy.....kiddie pool was too small, too.

Maybe I need to buy a bigger kiddie pool :D I could probably justify that with my wife and kids....

erkoehler
04-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Hey, try this:

erkoehler
04-16-2006, 12:56 PM
I got it at Stengle Marine in Minocqua Wisconsin. It was $10.18 for the bottle. I LOVE IT! :D

JohnnyB
04-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks erk, I'll google it right now.

My drivers seat cushion has the stains removed from an overnight soak in oxy....however, it is now waterlogged. I squezzed all I could out of it and its now leaning against the dehumidifier running full bore!! Probably will leave it out in the sun tomorrow. Decided not to use this method to clean my bench seat bottom....

In the end, guess I'll be into it for another $150 in upholstry work.....

erkoehler
04-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks erk, I'll google it right now.

My drivers seat cushion has the stains removed from an overnight soak in oxy....however, it is now waterlogged. I squezzed all I could out of it and its now leaning against the dehumidifier running full bore!! Probably will leave it out in the sun tomorrow. Decided not to use this method to clean my bench seat bottom....

In the end, guess I'll be into it for another $150 in upholstry work.....

Try this stuff first....you might be surprised! It hasn't let me down yet.

JDK
04-17-2006, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=JohnnyB] Decided not to use this method to clean my bench seat bottom....
QUOTE]

Here's what I'd try..... you have nothing to lose.
Remove the bench seat skin completely. Before using ANY cleaners, attack it with a medium bristled brush and a garden hose with COLD water (on both sides). My bet is you will be surprised at how well this works.

AIRCANX09
04-17-2006, 10:35 AM
For bllod stains try meat tenderizer as it is an enzyme that breaks down the blood. Im not sure about the effect on vinyl, but it doesn't eat clothes, or our stomachs so it may be the answer.

JohnnyB
04-19-2006, 05:59 PM
:banana: :banana: Stain Removal Solution Found :banana: :banana:

OK, here's what finally worked on the blood stains on the rear bench.....

I cut 3 pieces of some heavily absorbent paper towel in squares to cover one of the spots. I then soaked the pile of toweling squares with Hydrogen Peroxide and covered the area with Saran wrap. After remoistening the squares and leaving them on under cover of the Saran wrap, the spot seems to have disappeared.

Since this is the same spot I tried amonia soak on with the same method, I'm going to try the other spots with just the Peroxide as I think it is what did the trick. I'll let it soak a couple of days and let you know what happens....

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 06:12 PM
One of the solutions in the 2005 manual is as follows:

1 Tbs ammonia
1/4 Cup Hydrogen Peroxide
3/4 Cup Water

It doesn't list a solution for blood though. Sounds as if you came up with a good one.

M-Funf
04-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Blood stains on clothing are an occupational hazard for me...

If I didn't know your occupation, that statement would have me worried :eek3:

Glad you found a solution. You may find that the stains come back after a short time and need to be treated again. Same happened to me on some cloth upholstry. I used a different method, but had to do it three times to get it out completely...

Good Luck!