PDA

View Full Version : Portable BBQ suggestions/advice?

vegashomeexpert
04-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Need to upgrade my portable BBQ. Anybody have any experience with the Weber Q series or have suggestions on anything else they really like? Must fit in the boat and not make a mess. Need decent capacity (10+ burgers). Must use 14oz propane. Must clean itself (J/K). :)

erkoehler
04-14-2006, 05:15 PM
The weber Q grills are nice, I have the largest table top one that they make.

I like it alot, and it does a great job on the food.

The other one that we have at the lake is the Thermos Fire and Ice grill. The grill on that one is dishwasher safe, so it makes cleaning up really easy.

Sodar
04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
I just bought one last night for my river trip next weekend. One of my buddy's has one and it works AWESOME. Clean up is really easy, he just uses those wipes that come in a canister for cleaning countertops and stuff. I figured I could also use it at my apartment at school for BBQ's! I say go with the Weber Q, I originally was gunna get the Weber Baby-Q, but I decided to go big or go home!!!! I looked at the Coleman one and it was really cheesy. You will be amazed at all the accerssories you can buy for these things too!! Get one!

vegashomeexpert
04-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Sweet! Does it make a mess on the bed at all? (J/K). Did you get the cover w/wheels? Did you pay more or less than $185? Thanks (young pup!).

erkoehler
04-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Sweet! Does it make a mess on the bed at all? (J/K). Did you get the cover w/wheels? Did you pay more or less than $185? Thanks (young pup!).

The "Q" grill does not come with wheels unless you get the next model up. The one pictured above is more of a table top model.

vegashomeexpert
04-14-2006, 05:47 PM
The "Q" grill does not come with wheels unless you get the next model up. The one pictured above is more of a table top model.
Erk: I saw on the Weber site that they sell a convas sack to put it in that has roller blade wheels on it (like luggage) for $39. I saw the stand but don't need that on the boat.

Sodar
04-14-2006, 05:57 PM

It's Brand New, so it has not made a mess of the bed, yet! "You might be a redneck if you grill while laying in you bed and watching the Bass Tournament!!" Anyways, I bought mine off the internet for$152.66 Shipped. I did not buy the wheels or cover, but I do plan on buying the cover with the wheels built in and a griddle for pancakes and eggs...

Sodar
04-14-2006, 05:58 PM

WRONG ERK!! You can buy the cart for the table top model!!

erkoehler
04-14-2006, 06:02 PM
WRONG ERK!! You can buy the cart for the table top model!!

Sorry, I thought you meant standard. I think the next "bigger Q" comes with the stand and wheels??? ICBW.

I have found that it is easier just to put it on a park bench or picnic table.

Either way, great grill.

WakeSeeky
04-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Might also look for a Coleman Roadtrip grill (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=27110). There are several models. We don't have one (yet) but friends we camp with do, and we're keeping an eye out for a good price on one. Sometimes Costco has them, but we haven't managed to get there while the grills are in stock. Looks like it's similar to the Weber. I know the Coleman is a great boat camping grill, so I'd bet either one would do fine.

vegashomeexpert
04-14-2006, 10:22 PM
I have been checking out the coleman as well. One burner vs 2? 12,000 btu vs 20,000. Seems like people think the Coleman is a little harder to clean but they rate it higher than the Q. I want to see them both in person. Can you take those things for test drives? Try cooking in a little wind? See how they hold up when they get handled a little too rough?

WakeSeeky
04-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Sure... you get some friends to buy one and then you see how it works out. :D

I can say we've shared the use of the Coleman boat-camping at both Powell and Mead and that's the one we'll buy. We just haven't had to yet, because we've had the use of one when we needed it. I can't compare it to the Weber, which also looks like a nice grill, but we've been really impressed with the Coleman.

vegashomeexpert
04-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Sure... you get some friends to buy one and then you see how it works out. :D

I can say we've shared the use of the Coleman boat-camping at both Powell and Mead and that's the one we'll buy. We just haven't had to yet, because we've had the use of one when we needed it. I can't compare it to the Weber, which also looks like a nice grill, but we've been really impressed with the Coleman.
Thanks for the input. Why aren't you at the lake yet? :cool:

mattsn
04-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Get a Big Green Egg cooker. Ceramic design makes the best meals. Small model is portable and extremely versitile.

vegashomeexpert
04-18-2006, 05:52 PM
The big green egg cooker looks a little large and pricey for me. I have now seen the Weber Q and Coleman Road Trip. I am leaning towards the road trip: 2 burners and 20,000 btu vs 12,000 on the Q, built in stand with wheels that folds up and rolls for transport. Both have a carry bag to keep the boat clean. I need to measure my boats truncks to make sure it will fit lying down. Anybody else have experience with the Coleman? :confused:

milkmania
04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
regarding the RT Grill....... which one would make a better choice?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/RTGrill.jpg

vegashomeexpert
04-19-2006, 12:24 PM
regarding the RT Grill....... which one would make a better choice?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/RTGrill.jpg
Good question! I assume porcelain would clean up easier but I like the fact that the LX can be used with or without the stand. Indifferent on the detachable lid as the lid on the LXE I looked at was way out of the way of the cooking area when it was opened. I measured my trunk and the Cole would fit nicely on either side.

Thrall
04-19-2006, 12:43 PM
If you are using it on the boat and can stomach drilling a hole and mounting a rod holder on your deck somewhere, Overton's sells stainless steel propane fired BBQ's that mount over the side of the boat. They're a little pricey by the time you get the rod holder, mounting rod, storage bag, etc.
A buddy has one on his boat and it is really nice. Will cook enough food at once for 4-6 people depending what's on the grill. Desn't make any mess as it hangs over the side of the boat and is self cleaning! He leaves it on for a couple min after done cooking and it burns up any grease thats accumulated.

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 12:45 PM
If you are using it on the boat and can stomach drilling a hole and mounting a rod holder on your deck somewhere, Overton's sells stainless steel propane fired BBQ's that mount over the side of the boat. They're a little pricey by the time you get the rod holder, mounting rod, storage bag, etc.
A buddy has one on his boat and it is really nice. Will cook enough food at once for 4-6 people depending what's on the grill. Desn't make any mess as it hangs over the side of the boat and is self cleaning! He leaves it on for a couple min after done cooking and it burns up any grease thats accumulated.

You not encouraging putting this on a MC are you :eek:

I have seen this setup on alot of pontoon boats though.

SD190EVO
04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I have a Ducane "Take it or leave it" and I am very happy with it.

http://www.backyardsuperstore.com/store/product266.html

vegashomeexpert
04-19-2006, 02:35 PM
They have them that mount to the grab rails but I am not into cooking on the boat. :cool: :cool: :eek:

vegashomeexpert
04-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I have a Ducane "Take it or leave it" and I am very happy with it.

http://www.backyardsuperstore.com/store/product266.html
Looks interesting but a bit pricey compared to the other 2. Does it have a stand and carrying case?

Thrall
04-20-2006, 08:44 AM
They have them that mount to the grab rails but I am not into cooking on the boat. :cool: :cool: :eek:

Yeah, you notice I said a "buudy" has it on his boat. Nice boat too, but I don't plan on there being any chance of me accidentally "grilling" my interior. To each there own though.
Have to admit, it is nice to tie up to his boat and have a brat or cheeseburger out on the water.

vegashomeexpert
04-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Picked up the Coleman Road Trip LXE grill last night at Sports Authority of all places. $169 + tax. Cheaper than anything on the net. Had to pay tax but no shipping. That baby does put out some heat! Would like something more compact but need the large grill space. Seems bigger than the posted measurements so I need to make sure it fits in the boat before I declare it a keeper.

AirJunky
04-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Another option is the Thermos Fire & Ice (http://www.grill2go.com/fire_ice/index.asp)
It's a full size cooler & a BBQ on top. Works pretty slick.

vegashomeexpert
05-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Used the roadtrip grill this weekend and here are my pros and cons FYI:
Pros:
Great heat and control with 2 burners
Good fuel efficiency (cooked 3 meals on one cannister)
Nice platform for cooking with 2 slide out tables and it is a good height.
Easy to move when using the wheels
Tons of cooking capacity!
Cooks well with a breeze.

Cons:
PIA to clean up
Hard to move when carrying (I am hoping the canvas bag they sell as an accessory will solve this).

SDmc205
05-02-2006, 02:46 PM
We don't use them on the boat, but my cousin Mark and I have the Coleman LXEs and our cousin David has the Weber. All 3 barbecue pretty well. We used to be only charcoal guys, but year after of year of not starting dinner until 10pm (after being on the lake until sunset) and a bunch of starving kids made us break down last year and buy the propane grills. In fact we have talked about picking up an extra Coleman if we see them on sale (you can find them as cheap as 140 sometimes at Target.)

If I remember I will try to find some pictures of our campground setups, it looks like a commercial kitchen with all the crap we bring. Thank god for motorhomes and boats.