PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten "to do" maintenance?

goballgo
09-29-2004, 06:12 AM
For those of us with older boats...please list the top ten must,need should,and get around to it...maintenance to do's. I love to do my own maintenance but I'm sure there are somethings I'm not doing. Thanks

H20skeefreek
09-29-2004, 09:01 AM
For those of us with older boats...please list the top ten must,need should,and get around to it...maintenance to do's. I love to do my own maintenance but I'm sure there are somethings I'm not doing. Thanks

WE ARE SUPPOSED TO DO MAINTENANCE ON THESE THINGS??? I THOUGHT THEY WERE LIKE CARS??? :D

sizzler
09-29-2004, 09:09 AM
1. phone up dealers
2. arrange date
3.book holiday
4.send boat to dealers
5.go on holiday
6.enjoy yorself
7.come back from holiday
8.pick up boat
9. go footin'
10 enjoy yourself

simple

goballgo
09-30-2004, 06:05 AM
If had that kind of money...I would have a newer boat!

BriEOD
09-30-2004, 09:10 AM
10. New Striping on Hull
9. New Johnson Bimini
8. New Stereo *w/remote*
7. Re-paint trailer
6. Re-Wire Trailer
5. Re-Finish Teak Platform
4. Tint Windshield
3. Touch up nicks in hull
2. Cut 2 new holes for speakers
1. Lots of skiing

These are in no particular order except #1

captkidd
09-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Sizzler, It would also help if Americans had 5-6 weeks of vacation (holiday) from Day 1 like you folks in Europe. Here, we're lucky to get 1-2 weeks, and some folks never get any more than that (or any).

Top 10 Lists of Maintenance Items (in order of priority):

1. Change the oil
2. Change the transmission fluid
3. Grease and check your wheel bearings and check brake fluid
4. Check air in tires
5. Wash and wax boat and trailer
6. Oil teak platform
7. Vacuum/clean carpet
8. Put protectant on vinyl
9. Touch up nicks on trailer before they rust
10.Do it all over again, and smile the whole time knowing that you're protecting your investment, maintaining
its value, and fortunate enough to have a boat that's great enough to make all this worth the effort.

sizzler
09-30-2004, 11:02 AM
CHAPS,,,i'm just messing wiv ya all........i'm crap at maintainance,,,,the bad points of being a desk jockey......

hats off to you all.....

BTW captkidd,,,,slightly more than 6 weeks.......works overtrated

east tx skier
09-30-2004, 11:20 AM
1. Ski until late November
2. Winterize
3. Put that cool, foil-faced soundproofing in motorbox.
4. Make beer.
5. Drink beer.
6. Play GTA San Andreas all winter
7. See #4
8. See #5
9. See #4
10. See #5

lakes Rick
09-30-2004, 01:08 PM
ADD to CaptKid,

I read where it is recommended to reduce the tire pressure on your trailer when winterizing.. Trailer tires usually run up to 55 pounds. Reducing it down to 30 while sitting reduces the stress on the sidewall .. Just remember to pump them back up in spring...

OhioProstar
09-30-2004, 01:55 PM
I always slide a cinder block under the axles on both sides and deflate the whole tire.

AirJunky
09-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Interesting.... I've never heard of anyone changing the air in their tires as part of the winterizing process. :uglyhamme

tph
09-30-2004, 04:53 PM
If the boat's really older you might want to check the rubber hoses (especially the hoses in the fuel system) They eventually deteriorate.

meggsy1221@aol.com
09-05-2005, 02:55 PM
:worthy: hello barry from canada,94 205 looking for information on winterizing a 5.7 330 h.p.i get conflicting info any suggestions are greatly appreciated

RickDV
09-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Periodically check to make sure your lug nuts are tight on your trailer wheels.

JDK
09-06-2005, 12:45 AM
:worthy: hello barry from canada,94 205 looking for information on winterizing a 5.7 330 h.p.i get conflicting info any suggestions are greatly appreciated

I did mine today (same boat, standard MPI). I took out the thermostat, and drained the block and the manifolds just like it says in the book. Then I re-installed the plugs, hooked my fake a lake up to a 6 ft. chunk of 1" hose with a funnel on the other end. I filled the funnel with RV anti-freeze and had 4 additional gallons of anti-freeze (with the caps off) right beside me.
I started the engine and poured A.F. into the funnel until a big red blast came out the rear flappers (it took all 5 gallons, and wifey fogged the engine in the process).
When done, I drained the block & manifolds again, and removed all the hoses specified in the manual.
I did this because I've seen too many boat engines, that have supposedly been correctly winterized ruined by the cold... and the A.F cost $20.... pretty cheap insurance

H20skeefreek
09-06-2005, 06:16 AM
you filled the block with antifreeze AND then drained the block? Seems counter-productive.

JDK
09-07-2005, 03:03 AM
you filled the block with antifreeze AND then drained the block? Seems counter-productive.

Yep, very counter productive..........unless you've seen what temperatures colder than -40 degrees
F. can do to an engine with a few cup fulls of water left in it. (and I'm not talking about wind chill temp).

123src
09-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Geez, guys, you mean to tell me i can't just keep my new baby in the garage? It get's below freezing here for a couple of weeks per winter, but i guess i assumed the attached (insulated) garage would be good enough. My buddies do this and seem to be ok. What's the real scoop? Should I do the whole shabang, as the manual suggests?

thanks

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3253

Jimmy O
09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Antifreeze could be overkill and unnecessary. After draining the block and manifolds, open up the hoses, this is after fogging the engine, and turn it over, with the kill switch diconnected. This will rid of any pocketing water. I have done this with mine for 8 seasons and have never had a problem. But i guess it never hurts to be over cautious.

Leroy
09-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Depends if you think it is worth risking $4-5k on new engine if you have that record cold season. Draining the water depends on how much peace of mind you want if things start going bad! The entire shabang is good if your engine/boat sit for several months period.

Geez, guys, you mean to tell me i can't just keep my new baby in the garage? It get's below freezing here for a couple of weeks per winter, but i guess i assumed the attached (insulated) garage would be good enough. My buddies do this and seem to be ok. What's the real scoop? Should I do the whole shabang, as the manual suggests?

thanks

erkoehler
09-07-2005, 11:46 AM

thanks

I would drain the engine at a minimum, you just never know

erkoehler
09-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I always slide a cinder block under the axles on both sides and deflate the whole tire.

Is it still true that the best way to store the trailer is w/ the tires off the ground? Jack stands....