PDA

View Full Version : SilentMaster Really Necessary?

pwillcutts
04-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has removed their SilentMaster muffler systems ? I removed mine from my 1990 TriStar, and the engine must be giving me an extra 20 horsepower!!! The Boat is so much more responsive to the throttle, at all speeds. :steering: The SilentMaster fiberglass had cracked so many times over the years (and at the worst times...ie: 4th of July weekends!), that I finally gave up repairing it, and my mechanic suggested ripping it right out. I don't know if MasterCraft has gotten better at the design over the years, but I'm pretty sure my model year was their first attempt at it, and the basic design of the SilentMaster just proved to be the Achilles heel of the whole boat. I pulled it out and ran the exhaust hose directly off the manifold straight out to the transom. Yes, the engine is louder, but sounds great to me, and the performance improvement is well worth the added decibels IMHO. Anyone else ever face the same SilentMaster problems? My vote would be a SilentMaster-ectomy!

JohnnyB
04-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Just clarifying....the silentmaster is one piece exhaust system that comes off both manifolds, goes to a large horizontal cylinder (about 5" diameter) and then goes from the canister to the exhaust ports on the transom....correct??

That's the setup I've got right now and I have reglassed mine and it is leaking again. I was thinking of ordering two individual mufflers from SKIDIM...has anyone done this conversion....has your power changed similar to pwillcuts? Has anyone compared this to the "straight pipe" arrangment pwillcuts has done?

I think the individual mufflers were $140/ea

Hoosier Bob
04-14-2006, 10:07 AM
I would go with the old bronze tubes that were in the older boats. Very cool sound and since it comes from under the platform not much louder in the boat. I have the fiberglass individual mufflers in my 93. If you don't mind a little noise?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-14-2006, 10:40 AM
If my silent master craps out, I think I would be inclined to try it without a muffler. I dont know.......but I am a sucker for cool sounding pipes. :rolleyes:

JohnnyB
04-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I agree it would probably sound cool. But, the neighbors up at the lake are very understanding of my 6:30am barefoot runs.....if I was out there with loud pipes on the 120acre lake, folks might start talking about lake hours :eek:

Hoosier Bob
04-14-2006, 12:16 PM
There may be a fewe options on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Marine-Muffler-for-Ski-Boats_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31285QQitemZ45481 42672QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
This may work but you will need 2. These resemble what is in my 93. No problems and no leaks as of yet. Ski Dim and others may have less expensive aftermarket alternatives. Silent Master I believe is what mine are but they are in the bilge not rear and on top of the engine. :D I agree it would probably sound cool. But, the neighbors up at the lake are very understanding of my 6:30am barefoot runs.....if I was out there with loud pipes on the 120acre lake, folks might start talking about lake hours :eek:

6ballsisall
04-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Our 86' had them and it was pretty quiet. Our 95' has straight exhaust and its quite a bit louder. Sounds pretty nice though. :D

tommcat
04-14-2006, 05:56 PM
my buddies Brendela has no mufflers and both pipes just go straight out the back. even though they are under the platform it is still pretty loud.
i like the sound of it but sitting in the back of the boat it's impossible to hear anyone else talking.

pwillcutts
04-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Just clarifying....the silentmaster is one piece exhaust system that comes off both manifolds, goes to a large horizontal cylinder (about 5" diameter) and then goes from the canister to the exhaust ports on the transom....correct??

That's the setup I've got right now and I have reglassed mine and it is leaking again. I was thinking of ordering two individual mufflers from SKIDIM...has anyone done this conversion....has your power changed similar to pwillcuts? Has anyone compared this to the "straight pipe" arrangment pwillcuts has done?

I think the individual mufflers were $140/ea
Yes, it's that horizontal fiberglass Dinosaur egg that sits over the transmission with the two manifolds connecting up top, and the two Exhaust hose connecting on the bottom. Mine leaked all the time from various weak points in the glass also. Once when the engine backfired, the SilentMaster tore a gash all the way down its center seam. A real mess, with flying debris all over. It was like an M-80 went off, and the engine cover was up....so I'm lucky no-one was hit. As you can imagine....this led to the conclusion of just getting rid of the dang thing. Love the rumble, but the responsiveness is what is really impressive....feels like a brand new boat. But at 6:30am run, yes....I might worry about the neighbors !

rodltg2
04-14-2006, 07:58 PM
my buddies Brendela has no mufflers and both pipes just go straight out the back. even though they are under the platform it is still pretty loud.
i like the sound of it but sitting in the back of the boat it's impossible to hear anyone else talking.

yep, my brendella was fricken loud...so's my malibu. i dont think those cheap bastards put mufflers i there either..

bigmac
04-16-2006, 01:33 PM
How about this from SkiDIM (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NFM289-300)

http://www.skidim.com/images/41204.jpg

or this from Overton's (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/order/items2.cgi)

http://overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/22582M.jpg

bigmac
04-16-2006, 01:34 PM
And you'd probably need some of this (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=23615&fcat=) too...

http://overtons.com/graphics/products/large/23615L.jpg

TMCNo1
04-16-2006, 07:47 PM
One relatively economical alternative for your replacement pipes if you take your mufflers out is 3" aluminum conduit from your local electrical supply house or electrical contractor. A electrical contractor can also bend your pipes to match the angle of the old muffler and then you won't have to buy any additional rubber hose to make the set up if you have the 2 mufflers. If you have the big transverse muffler you have plenty rubber hose to cut and attach to the riser, then you will only have to insert 2 straight pieces each side.
Should be a simular situation for the 4" exhaust too, but always check your inside and outside diameters of all your components for proper connections.

Prostar Rich
05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Used the search function and found this thread.

This past weekend I changed fuel/water separator filter as well as the fuel filter on my 1990 prostar 190. Had a very hard time getting it to start and I figured this was due to draining the fuel system. I decided to use a little starting fluid. The boat wanted to start but seemed starved for fuel. So I repeated spraying in some starter fluid and went to fire the engine and it seemed to backfire and the backfire blew out the side of the silent master muffler. Needles to say I was done for the day. On this year boat the muffler is mounted horizontal across the top of the trans. It looks like I could glass the muffler back together however I know that this muffler is prone to problems. I am looking at the above post and just wanted to ask if anyone here has gone with the 3" aluminum conduit. This seems like a quick and inexpensive fix compared to converting the boat to a two muffler system. Second question is if someone has done this fix was the boat way to loud? I realize it's going to be louder and that's ok I just don't want it to sound way too loud.

Thanks,
Prostar Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------------
One relatively economical alternative for your replacement pipes if you take your mufflers out is 3" aluminum conduit from your local electrical supply house or electrical contractor. A electrical contractor can also bend your pipes to match the angle of the old muffler and then you won't have to buy any additional rubber hose to make the set up if you have the 2 mufflers. If you have the big transverse muffler you have plenty rubber hose to cut and attach to the riser, then you will only have to insert 2 straight pieces each side.
Should be a simular situation for the 4" exhaust too, but always check your inside and outside diameters of all your components for proper connections.

Prostar Rich
05-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Decided to eliminate the muffler altogether. I ordered some exhaust hose and will piece together. I am having Chicago MC do the swap for me. Has anyone else here eliminated their muffler? How much louder did the boat get? This is the the most inexpensive route to go and eliminates that troublesome muffler.

Prostar Rich

JKTX21
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
My buddy has an '87 without mufflers and it isn't too much louder than my '96 with mufflers. His boat actually sounds great running across the lake.

Speaking of noise, is there a kit for the engine box? I had to rip out all of the foam in mine, as it was falling apart when I bought the boat.

Prostar Rich
05-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback. As far as your engine box goes I would look into dynamat material. They have a website www.dynamat.com

Prostar Rich

My buddy has an '87 without mufflers and it isn't too much louder than my '96 with mufflers. His boat actually sounds great running across the lake.

Speaking of noise, is there a kit for the engine box? I had to rip out all of the foam in mine, as it was falling apart when I bought the boat.

JKTX21
05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Wow, I'm sure it's a great product, but it's a little steep for me. I was wanting to spend maybe a buck to get the project done.

Jesus_Freak
05-09-2007, 12:38 PM

When I got mine last year, the foam was falling all out. I used some caulk to put it back up. In general, I use caulk like duct tape. :o

Jim@BAWS
05-09-2007, 12:41 PM
yep, my brendella was fricken loud...so's my malibu. i dont think those cheap bastards put mufflers i there either..

Mufflers on a Malibu are an OPTION Not standard equipment
Just another COST CUTTING measure

Jim@BAWS

sanjuan23
05-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow, I'm sure it's a great product, but it's a little steep for me. I was wanting to spend maybe a buck to get the project done.

Check out the I/O kit from Overton's I think that is the one ETS used to get his done.

J

wakescene
05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
My 2001 Maristar with the LTR motor has the Silent Master muffler. It's much larger than your all speaking of, about 8" in diameter but only 20"-24" long. It's a giant baffle, I had removed 2 years ago and pointed a flashlight into it, the light beam almost came out the hole on the opposite end, there is almost no baffling inside.

Does the Silent master have anything to do with increasing backpressure for the motor?

How do you bent the 4.5" tubing for the proper angles?