PDA

View Full Version : skylon

brady1022
09-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Ok, just bought a new skylon for my 88prostar 190, how much give should the ratchet cable have...I mean how much do I have to crank down on it, and also,anybody have any general issues or advice for use of the skylon? thanks guys, -Brady

MasterCrafting
09-29-2004, 04:09 PM
I would recomend not using it at all (the skylon). I have one and it destorys the base of the pylon. I still use the extension but i crank down on that rachet so hard the pole is leaning foward when noone is behind it if you dont you will crack the base. Try not to cut out to far becuase there are no side supports. Have fun and be safe :friday:

stan
09-29-2004, 05:33 PM
When I bought my 93 the guy was a freek when it came to keeping everthing clean and unharmed. He put a pvc union over the pylon and slid it all the way down, to protect the base of the pylon when the skylon was put on. Its pretty cool and has a custom sock that slides over the union, you don't even notice it and it keeps the sklon off of the floor. The pvc union has a rubber gasket inside so it doesnt scratch the pylon. Other than that I would crank down on the cable for big people. Its always been a concern of mine seeing the sklon flex when pulling big people, thats why I'm looking for a tower.

bfinley
09-29-2004, 05:54 PM
I was considering buying a skylon for my 92, but based on what you guys say, maybe that's a waste of money?? Should I just save up for a Skylon??

stan
09-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Dont get me wrong I wouldnt wakeboard without it, but my concern is my 250 lb plus buddies. If it were just my kids, wife, and me I would never get rid of it. I still cant imagine drilling holes in my baby for a tower.

AirJunky
09-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Dont get me wrong I wouldnt wakeboard without it, but my concern is my 250 lb plus buddies. If it were just my kids, wife, and me I would never get rid of it. I still cant imagine drilling holes in my baby for a tower.

This is exactly why you need to either have it done or get someone you can trust to come over & help. Wiley helped me do mine. He didn't have any reservations at all about it. And the install has been fine for several years now.

Rockman
09-29-2004, 07:23 PM
We have the BF FlyHigh on our boat. We use a piece of washcloth (about 1/2 of it) and put it on top of the Pylon then the FlyHigh over it. That way, it doesn't scratch the pylon.

we have had it since 1996 and have had no problems. The FlyHigh does not go down to the floor, only about 3/4 of the way. We pull 5 footers with our and it worked well.

DrNautica
09-29-2004, 07:28 PM
I have a Barefoot International extended pylon in use on my '89 TS 190. I've seen both the Skylon and the BI unit and, to me there is little comparison. The Skylon has an oversized bottom section that cuases it to be "sloppy" on the factory pylon while the BI unit fits tight. I weigh 225 and have no flexing issues unless I go way wide and pull hard. None of the extended pylons have any side support so if you exceed 45 degrees from center, all will flex.

My BI is brushed stainless and has help up extremely well. I too would like to have a tower and have no qualms about drilling holes. I just don't feel like spending $2,400 for the tower I'd like to have for a 1989 boat.

The Dr.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
09-29-2004, 10:19 PM
I've got a BigAir Pylon and the instructions say to tighten the ratchet 'till the pole flexes a couple of inches forward. This seems to work well and I've been happy with the pylon.....I use mine primarily for pulling barefoot so there is a fair amount of pressure. Another advantage to the pylon is that it comes down quickly. I keep the boat on a covered lift and can crank it up tight under the canopy to keep sun and weather off the boat.....it seems to be more work to raise and lower a tower.

AirJunky
09-29-2004, 11:48 PM
$2400?! Man, you must be buying the factory tower. My buddy & I have spent that for 2 towers, an Ichor at $1400 & a Monster at $999. Either tower is far more rigid than the Zeroflex. Their not as easy to break down as a pylon but they give a much better pull from anywhere behind the boat. Ever see a foil rider not quite land a heli out in the flats & hold onto the rope? I know a guy who rides on the Sac Delta who yanked a pylon completely out of his Maristar, including the cross piece between the stringers!

MasterCrafting
09-30-2004, 12:09 AM
I dont want to start another war but...foil skiing is super and everything but it will never catch on wide scale beacuse it costs WAY too much and it looks wierd. I could be wrong becuase thats what they said about wakeboarding, but until then i stand by what i say. (although i would like to give it a try)

AirJunky
09-30-2004, 01:33 AM
OK, foils are too weird for you. Ever have a boarder go down way out to the side & try to hold onto the rope? It would do about the same thing.
I had a hot dog skier do a tumble turn & he couldn't get turned around too easily & got "stuck" on his butt.... really leaned the boat way over. I'm sure it would have pulled a pylon down easily.

H20skeefreek
09-30-2004, 05:53 AM
I dont want to start another war but...foil skiing is super and everything but it will never catch on wide scale beacuse it costs WAY too much and it looks wierd. I could be wrong becuase thats what they said about wakeboarding, but until then i stand by what i say. (although i would like to give it a try)

Dude, this is like the second time you've bagged someone else for the way they do things. First the comments about a BF boom being for P**ssies, I've yet to see a Pu**y on a boat with a barefoot boom. Now baggin' this guy for foiling. What's the point? This thread is about extended pylons.

MasterCrafting
09-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Like i said before i'm not trying to start a war. Maybe its just because i'm young and not open to some things. Actually i think foil skiing is badass i'm just saying its so expensive. What i ment to say is that i dont think a pylon would stand up to foil skiing. The barefoot boom comment was not at all serious i'm just young and thats the way my friends and i talk. To be honest i wouldnt mind being pulled behind a boom. That said i would like to apologize to anyone i may have offended. Keep in mind i'm young and thats how we are. Keep having fun thats what its about!

AirJunky
10-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Just thought I'd show off a "young, weird looking, pu$$y on a foil". Jake is all of 20 yrs old, #3 in the world, and been riding for 3 or 4 yrs. This shot is not Photoshoped at all.

DrNautica
10-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Dude, That is some serious AIR!!!

As for being a p***y, mama always said, you are what you eat. :love:

Can I say that on here?

H20skeefreek
10-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Dude, That is some serious AIR!!!

As for being a p***y, mama always said, you are what you eat. :love:

Can I say that on here?

I believe that you just did.

Tom Wortham
10-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Ok, just bought a new skylon for my 88prostar 190, how much give should the ratchet cable have...I mean how much do I have to crank down on it, and also,anybody have any general issues or advice for use of the skylon? thanks guys, -Brady

My Skylon has a plactic sleeve on the inside of the brushed metal pole. It slips over the ski pylon... only goes about half way down. It also has a "pull" so you can ski from the pylon when not using the top part. I have not pulled alot of wakeboarders. We are mostly skiers. It does the trick for me... but I can see how it would wear on your pylon if you are using it ALL the time. I would justify by asking yourself how much you ski vs. wakeboard. I ski 90% of the time. Good Luck. :twocents:

MasterCrafting
10-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Thats sick!

jimmer2880
10-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Just thought I'd show off a "young, weird looking, pu$$y on a foil". Jake is all of 20 yrs old, #3 in the world, and been riding for 3 or 4 yrs. This shot is not Photoshoped at all.
I would love to try! I can only imagine the faceplants that can be had on one of those toys!:worthy:

SkySkiSpokane
10-07-2004, 01:30 PM
If everybody gave it a try, there would be no skiing or wakeboarding at all. Give it a shot and sell your other toys. Then expense is no issue. I have an HO Phantom that has been wet once this year. Anyway to keep this on the topic, I am 250lbs and use a skylon one piece pylon. I have had great luck with it so far but am upgrading to a monster tower this off season. It bends and bangs a little but I am not good enough to yank it out of the boat. I let go!! :eek:
Have fun at worlds Airjunky!!