PDA

View Full Version : NW Arkansas Beaver Lake

Ryan
04-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Have any of you ever been to Beaver lake? Or, is someone out there in/from the Rogers area?

What I'm looking for:
- How is the water on weeknights and weekends (particularly since there are lakefront homes)?
- Where are the best places to launch?

jrcarte78
04-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Have any of you ever been to Beaver lake? Or, is someone out there in/from the Rogers area?

What I'm looking for:
- How is the water on weeknights and weekends (particularly since there are lakefront homes)?
- Where are the best places to launch?

I'm in Springdale AR which is about 15 minutes from Rogers. I would consider Beaver my home lake. Good water can always be found on weeknights. Weekends are obviously more crowded but, if you get out early you can lay claim to a good cove and most folks are courteous enough to let you have it mostly to yourself. Water levels are really low here just like everywhere else in the mid-south-east so it'll be interesting to see if any issues arise b/c of it(submerged stuff, etc) but I think(my first outing will be this weekend) it'll be fine.

The closest ramps to my house are Blue Springs and Hickory Creek which are in Springdale. We use these for quick trips. But, if it's a weekend outing we'll go up to Prairie Creek or Horseshoe Bend which are further north(in Rogers). Water on Beaver definitely gets better(cleaner and clearer) the further north you go on it.

CoFooter
04-13-2006, 04:19 PM
My in-laws live in Mountain Home, so we usually ski at Norfork (awesome lake in its own rights and a little more off the beaten path). My wife and I spent a long weekend in early June at Beaver last time we were back there and stayed in Rogers. Weekdays, nearly no one around, weekends as you would expect were busy, though early (8:00ish) we had the lake to ourselves not counting the hundreds of bass fisherman which really don't usually come into play. Rogers is a fairly happening place with good resturaunts and bars and hotels. Walmart headquarters is just down the highway so the town has grown up because of that. I'd recommend it, but if you really want to get away, try Norfolk.

Ryan
04-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. That would be a long drive for me to just get away. I'm puting in for a job and want to know as much as I can before I get real deep into this since I've only been there once. I actually lived in Mountain Home for a short while, so I think I can hack AR life for a few years at least.

jrcarte, I was looking through the AR boating reg's and saw this:
Water Skiers: Must wear a Type I, II, III or V PFD. Water-skiing is not allowed from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. Boats towing water-skiers must have, in addition to the driver, an observer at least 12 years of age or a wide angle convex marine mirror to observe the person being towed.

You guys can really ski with no observer? And is the 1 hour sunset/sunrise rule for real and enforced?

Are there any launch fees at the areas you mentioned?
PS-check your PMs, you've got a new one.

jrcarte78
04-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. That would be a long drive for me to just get away. I'm puting in for a job and want to know as much as I can before I get real deep into this since I've only been there once. I actually lived in Mountain Home for a short while, so I think I can hack AR life for a few years at least.

jrcarte, I was looking through the AR boating reg's and saw this:
Water Skiers: Must wear a Type I, II, III or V PFD. Water-skiing is not allowed from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. Boats towing water-skiers must have, in addition to the driver, an observer at least 12 years of age or a wide angle convex marine mirror to observe the person being towed.

You guys can really ski with no observer? And is the 1 hour sunset/sunrise rule for real and enforced?

Are there any launch fees at the areas you mentioned?
PS-check your PMs, you've got a new one.

The sunrise/sunset rule is real but I have never heard of anyone getting shut down b/c of the sunrise/sunset rule. And, definitely never been shut down myself b/c of it.

I just saw those AR boating regs the other day(I wanted to print a copy off to have in the boat). I guess it is legal but it's not common practice to ski/ride w/o a spotter. We have never done it and probably never will.

There are launch fees are pretty much all the area marinas but they are minimal. But, I guess they could add up if you made short afternoon runs 3 or 4 days a week plus the weekend. I'm pretty sure the Army Corps of Engineers(the operators of the Lake), still offer passes for the entire summer, but I might be mistaken

J.R.