PDA

View Full Version : POLL-Will a PFD work inside of a Dry Suit?? Mari wants to know!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-13-2006, 12:39 PM
OK, maristar210 posed a question, and he wants a poll done. Will a PFD work inside of a Dry Suit?? Mari wants to know! Yes, friends and neighbors, its time for an UMP poll!! :dance: :toast: :D

SO Heeeeeeeeeeere we go!!!

Cary K.
04-13-2006, 12:49 PM
I always wear mine inside the drysuit. I can't definitely tell it is adding bouyancy. Plus it adds an extra layer of warmth.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Yep.....experience shows flotation inside the drysuit is the same as flotation outside of the drysuit.

Rockman
04-13-2006, 01:34 PM
I never wear a PFD under my drysuit because I wear my barefoot shorty which has flotation built in.

However, no difference is noted. I have never sank. :D

LakePirate
04-13-2006, 01:44 PM
It will work....the real question is do you need it? Is the air that is trapped in the suit, no matter how many times you burp it, enopugh to keep you afloat in case of an emergency?

And if you are skiing in a lake that would requite one to use a drysuit, is someone really going to jump in and save you if they don't have a drysuit?

rodltg2
04-13-2006, 01:46 PM
i dont wear a pfd with a drysuit, plenty of floatation with out it. i dont think you would want to wear one over it though , it would be hard to burp the suit...

beef
04-13-2006, 01:57 PM
I don't wear a pfd with mine either, but there is a potential problem... If you go head down in the water, all the air in the suit is going to go up into the legs/ankles. You'll still float, but not in a very desirable position!

erkoehler
04-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I don't wear a PFD under mine, but at times I have the barefoot suit on.

jraben8
04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't wear a pfd with mine either, but there is a potential problem... If you go head down in the water, all the air in the suit is going to go up into the legs/ankles. You'll still float, but not in a very desirable position!

I've never had this happen but I haven't let my self think about it in those terms either. I may have to perform a controlled experiment for myself just so I know how difficult it is to right myself.

04-13-2006, 02:14 PM
I burp the suit before I put the PFD on. I wont trust the suit to keep me afloat. I have read stories where skiers took a bad fall and blew the air out of the suit and it wasnt bouyant anymore. I cant risk it. Its far too easy to wear the PFD over it. It doesnt hurt it, and its a good safety factor. Plus, it does insulate a bit too. I am sure if I had a life or death situation, my buddies would jump in to save me if they HAD to to save my life, but Its just too easy to wear a PFD just in case. The funny part is, PFD arent required by law in Michigan unless your skiing behind a PWC. so we dont NEED to wear them by law, but even as teenagers, we NEVER skied withouht a PFD. Im just a safety nerd. :o

bcampbe7
04-13-2006, 02:29 PM
...Im just a ...nerd. :o

I agree! :uglyhamme

J/K UMP :friday:

DanC
04-13-2006, 02:31 PM
1. It is illegal to not wear a coast guard pfd in California when skiing.
2. A pfd under your drysuit will provide more flotation because the pfd will remain completely dry and thus displace slightly more water. It also creates more air pockets under your drysuit and makes it harder to completely burp, thus providing much more bouyancy.
3. See the picture below on why you should wear a pfd under (or over) your drysuit. Ever jumped into the water with your clothes on? Or known someone who has not zipped up their drysuit zipper before jumping in? It is not a good feeling and you better be a decent swimmer.

rodltg2
04-13-2006, 02:47 PM
i agree, it is a huge safety factor, the reason i dont wear one is mainly beacause of the added discomofort i already have from the drysuit. if i were skiing on a public lake i would definately use it. on a private site , it's not illegal and it just seems safer for some reason. you dont have other boats around and the lake is only 4ft deep.

TMCNo1
04-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Pi R square, NO,NO, Pi R round, Cornbread R square! :popcorn: :eek: :D

AirJunky
04-13-2006, 02:53 PM
It will work....the real question is do you need it? Is the air that is trapped in the suit, no matter how many times you burp it, enopugh to keep you afloat in case of an emergency?

And if you are skiing in a lake that would requite one to use a drysuit, is someone really going to jump in and save you if they don't have a drysuit?
Have you ever tried this? I have not. But I was on the boat when my brother popped a drysuit on a big crash. Then entire back of the suit blew out....... and when we came back around to pick him up, he was a foot under water & heading down. I jumped in & pulled him up. He had no vest on at the time.
But to each their own. I for one would and did jump in. I don't know anyone who would let their brother go down.

rodltg2
04-13-2006, 02:55 PM
:headbang: Have you ever tried this? I have not. But I was on the boat when my brother popped a drysuit on a big crash. Then entire back of the suit blew out....... and when we came back around to pick him up, he was a foot under water & heading down. I jumped in & pulled him up. He had no vest on at the time.
But to each their own. I for one would and did jump in. I don't know anyone who would let their brother go down.

well afetr that story i may use one today

AirJunky
04-13-2006, 03:00 PM
BTW, there is a pic of his back on that one too. He blew out the front of the the seat on an old Air Chair plastic seat, which is why the back of the suit blew apart. It also tore his back up pretty bad. Pretty gross stuff & he ended up getting an ambulance ride out of it. And the worst part about it, he was riding behind a 45' SeaRay that had the Evening Magazine TV crew on board. They never used the footage. Guess it was a bit too extreme.

But I think the result of any blown suit would be the same. Something about nuetral bouyancy, it would take you to just below the water's surface.

captain planet
04-13-2006, 03:25 PM
HEY UMP, I think EVERYONE here that is poking fun at you is just JEALOUS YOU are skiing already and THEY AREN'T. :headbang:

"WAAAAA, my boat is still in storage so I am going to poke fun at UMP for skiing in a drysuit already." :cry:

Keep you head up and keep posting pics of you skiing just to make them more envious!!!!!! :dance:

WakeSeeky
04-13-2006, 03:43 PM
UMP, :worthy: :worthy: I am a much bigger wimp than you.

We wear jackets under the dry suit. It seems like it would be awfully tight over the suit, but I've never tried it. Also, it keeps the jacket dry, so there's one less thing to drip cold water on dry people in the boat.

When I was very young, a kid skiing on my grandparent's lake, not wearing a life jacket, fell and probably knocked the air out of his lungs. He drowned. It was his 18th birthday. That scared me pretty good, so I've personally never seen a reason not to wear a vest, law or no. :twocents:

04-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Will do Cap!!
OK, if the weather holds out tonite, we are going again. If we do, I plan on bringing the trick skis along for a ride!!! :toast:

and while I will continue to wear a PFD EVERY single time I ski, I hope everyone else does too. Its just too easy to wear one, and $hit happens man! the above pic and stories prove it. Hey, you cant be too careful when it comes to stuff like this. Someone could die, and that aint cool. Safety first people!

and yes beau, I am a nerd!!! :D Its cool man!

bcampbe7
04-13-2006, 03:59 PM

and yes beau, I am a nerd!!! :D Its cool man!

For the record, I was not poking fun at the vest. I wear a PFD anytime I am in the water and consider it a requirement when doing any water sport on the lake.

I was poking fun at the goggles. That's a good look. :rolleyes:

04-13-2006, 04:07 PM
I know you were Beau! :wavey: Goggles rule! they are chick-getters for sure! :headbang:

bcampbe7
04-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I know you were Beau! :wavey: Goggles rule! they are chick-getters for sure! :headbang:

No doubt! :D

Mi.mc
06-09-2006, 08:40 PM
it'd better work! where would i be with out ump's random polls?!

tex
06-09-2006, 08:47 PM
I had a buddy who talked too much and jumped into Mission Bay without zipping his drysuit. He did not have a pfd on and we had to jump in for him. I wear a thin shorty under mine. I have an extra large jacket that I will wear on top of my suit when I ride my sky ski.

06-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Thats a scary story Tex..... :eek:

tex
06-09-2006, 09:06 PM
We watched him the whole time. It was a cold morning in San Diego and we just let him jump in. Someone had just finished riding so that had a suit on and could jump in and pull his ars out. It was actually pretty funny! He just kept talking as he was getting ready and we just kept looking at each other trying to keep from laughing.

MarkP
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I use both. As for the under or over question, I donít think it matters all that much..

Ric
06-10-2006, 09:04 AM
ump I would not use the term "battleships float" when a chic asks whether or not she can wear a life jacket inside or outside a dry suit....