PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Swap a 351 out for a 350? '90 PS190???

lancef53
04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
I have a 1990 PS 190 with the 351, and have a crack in the block somewhere, as the boat uses(pushes into the coolant passages) like a pig, up to a couple of quarts in a day. It doesn't burn it, and the only place I can find it is in the water jackets.

I bought a 350 chevy out of an 89 malibu, complete with the velvet drive-the same part number as my MC. Has anyone done a swap like this, and is there certain things I need to get ahold of ahead of time, I still have the boat in storage.

Thanks for any tips--Lance

6ballsisall
04-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Skidim sells all the parts needed to make this swap. Give Vince or Richard a buzz.

www.skidim.com

It can be and has been done. Typically it's not cost effective by any means. But if you have the motor already your well on your way.

flipper
04-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Not that exact swap, but changed my 351 for an injected 302 roller. The hardest part was moving the computer and all the wires that go with it. Other than that, out with the old and in with the new.

6ballsisall
04-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Not that exact swap, but changed my 351 for an injected 302 roller. The hardest part was moving the computer and all the wires that go with it. Other than that, out with the old and in with the new.

Would love to see pics of how you set that up flipper.

As you mentioned yours isn't the same swap, the 302 is the same block as the 351 Windsor and shares alot of the same components saving money.

With the 350 swap lots of cost will be involved buying all kinds of new brackets and accesory components, not to mention new engine mounts.

flipper
04-12-2006, 11:40 PM
If the engine is complete, shouldn't be that much more. Mine was complete when I bought it, so I have a few spare parts off the old motor. I have pic somewhere, have to find them.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-13-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't have much info for you, I would love to see pics when you are done. Sounds like a GREAT idea.

I have a 1990 PS 190 with the 351, and have a crack in the block somewhere, as the boat uses(pushes into the coolant passages) like a pig, up to a couple of quarts in a day. It doesn't burn it, and the only place I can find it is in the water jackets.

I bought a 350 chevy out of an 89 malibu, complete with the velvet drive-the same part number as my MC. Has anyone done a swap like this, and is there certain things I need to get ahold of ahead of time, I still have the boat in storage.

Thanks for any tips--Lance

redmike
04-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Question, If I repowerd my mc with a 350, would it start to rust out immediately?

BrianM
04-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Question, If I repowerd my mc with a 350, would it start to rust out immediately?

No that would happen if you repowered with a Mopar 318. :uglyhamme

redmike
04-13-2006, 02:03 PM
no way, my mopar is quiet at night, my damn chevy is the one that keeps waking me up! glad someone got the joke!

lancef53
04-13-2006, 02:43 PM
The Motor I bought is complete, so I should have all of the accessories, The only thing I am wondering about is the motor and tranny mounts. I hope it goes well, It shouldn't be too much of a pain.

At least it will have a chevy in it!!!

88 PS190
04-13-2006, 03:00 PM
malibus rotate in the same direction as mastercrafts right?

TRBenj
04-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Would love to see pics of how you set that up flipper.

As you mentioned yours isn't the same swap, the 302 is the same block as the 351 Windsor and shares alot of the same components saving money.

With the 350 swap lots of cost will be involved buying all kinds of new brackets and accesory components, not to mention new engine mounts.

Just FYI, the 302w and 351w blocks are not the same. Granted, they are from the same family (windsor), so they may use the same mounts and have some interchangeable parts (cams, heads, etc) but the blocks themselves are different.

I agree that the swap (351 to 350) should be relatively simple since nothing here is computer controlled. I would expect the biggest hassle to be the engine mounts.

ski_king
04-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I agree, only issue should be motor mounts. Worst case is you may need to modify a standard mount, but I bet Vince at Ski Dim can help you out.

Is your new motor (350) a Indmar or a Mercruiser conversion?

Edit/ There is the possibility the existing prop shaft length may be wrong.

I assume your existing transmission isnt the 1.5 (powerslot). If it is, the shaft diameter will be an issue as well as the prop.

BrianM
04-13-2006, 04:04 PM
malibus rotate in the same direction as mastercrafts right?

That is correct

milkmania
04-13-2006, 04:13 PM

been all over mine, and I haven't found a computer yet:confused:

I guess you're talking about the computer for the injected motor?

lancef53
04-13-2006, 08:34 PM
It is a mercruiser version, not sure if that is good or bad. What is the difference? I bought the engine from a guy who pulled it out of his malibu to install a newer fuelie motor. I bought the complete motor, spark arrestor to oil pan, all the manifolds, mounts, wires, some extra parts, electronic ignition, raw water pump, etc., and the velvet drive, along with a v-drive unit for a 2002 centurion for $1000 delivered to my door, so I am happy with what I have into it.

The velvet drive is 1:1, and it is the same part number as the one in my PS 190, so if I can mount the tranny in the same spot, I should be able to use the prop shaft that I have.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!!

Lance

jimmer2880
04-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Wow - sounds like a very fun project. Pls post lots of pic's when you do it.

My only piece of advice is, be warned getting the motor out of the boat may be a bit of a hassle if you don't have a tall enough cherry-picker. I ended up having to remove my wheel, then lower the trailer on that side very low to the ground. We needed additional height and the trailer tire was in the way for one of the legs of the picker. We also ended up pulling the trans off while the motor was suspended in the boat to make things easier.

lancef53
04-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the tips, I was planning on using a forklift to remove/replace the engine. Yes, I will take lots of pics--It should be interesting. I dissassembled the 350 this weekend, the block and crank are going to the machine shop today, hopefully the block can just be honed, it had some water spots in the cylinders from sitting before i bought it.