PDA

View Full Version : Snap covers

SilverStoneFD
04-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Hey all,

I just picked up a 1999 Prostar 205V and I am looking to upgrade some things on it. First off I am planning on keeping the boat in the water, so I was looking at getting a snap cover made for it. This would entail a bow cover and a toneau cover that covers the windshield as well. Does anyone have any experience getting one of these made?

There is a local shop that is willing to make me new custom one for around 700 including snap installation on the boat. Or they said they could modify my OEM cover for a couple hundred. Think I should keep the OEM cover for storage and get a new one made, or just modify the one I have.

LJ

captain planet
04-12-2006, 04:19 PM
I have two covers. One is nice, one is older. The older one I keep around just for storage in the winter months. Kind of nice to have an extra cover. :twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
04-12-2006, 04:25 PM
A second cover is nice to have. I am not a fan of snaps, so you are on your own there.

peason
04-12-2006, 04:31 PM
silverStone - have you looked at the newer covers that have a ratchet strap all around the boat that you ratchet after you get the cover on? Eliminates the need for straps. Worth looking at.

M-Funf
04-12-2006, 05:45 PM
silverStone - have you looked at the newer covers that have a ratchet strap all around the boat that you ratchet after you get the cover on? Eliminates the need for snaps. Worth looking at.

Fixed ;)

I'm not a big fan of snaps, either. :noface:

Oh, and welcome!

Sodar
04-12-2006, 05:45 PM
I am not a fan of the little button snaps all the way around the boat. For $600 you can go to skiboatcovers.com and buy a new sunbrella waterline cover with a cinch rope on the side for when the boat is at the dock!!

SilverStoneFD
04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
The snaps would just go around the bow, and along the lower edge of the windshield. The sides and transom would just be covered by a drawstring. Why don't you guys like the snaps? I think they are really easy to put on especially in the water.

LJ

erkoehler
04-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Its not that we are not agreeing with the fact that it makes it easy, but many have found the ratchet system on the new covers to be just as easy without having to look at the snaps on the boat.

Most, including myself, don't like the look of snaps on a MasterCraft.

flipper
04-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Its not that we are not agreeing with the fact that it makes it easy, but many have found the ratchet system on the new covers to be just as easy without having to look at the snaps on the boat.

Most, including myself, don't like the look of snaps on a MasterCraft.

...Or any other boat for that matter. A friend of mine had one of those covers on his boat, I thought it was a pain in the @$$. Much easier it pull a normal cover over and tighten the cord, than to go around the boat, crawl over the boat and try not to tear anything up or fall in trying to get all of the snaps in.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Snaps, Just wait until you get one or two pull outs!!!:eek: And you will know why I don't like them.
I think the ratchet style cover is the next best boating idea (next to direct drive of course);)

SilverStoneFD
04-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Does anyone have a picture of this ratchet cover?

AirJunky
04-13-2006, 11:21 AM
I have 3 covers for my 205, 2 of which came with the boat when I bought it & one is the snap on tonneau cover. The snaps suck. :eek: They scratch the windshield when they slide around & also are the start of gelcoat cracks down the road.
The snap on tonneau also do not cover the various vents in the front & back of the boat. And when I keep my boat on the lake, the inside will fill up with bugs & then they all die in there. When I put my new sunbrella mooring cover on, it covers all the vents & nothing gets in there.
Ever put a snap cover on? It's a pain to reach all those things from the middle of the boat too.

Look up Rankin boat covers (http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboard_tower_accessories/rankin_boat_cover) on Google. Wakeside sells them or they sell direct in the Pacific NW. They are about the best quality, trailerable cover I've ever seen.

captain planet
04-13-2006, 11:22 AM
There isn't much to see other than the ratchet that is located at the back of the cover. The rest of the cover looks like any other cover. My buddy has one on his 03 197. I don't know if it is out of storage yet or I would get a picture for you.

If you are still considering the snaps idea :noface: I have see where people have put the snaps on the bottom of the rub-rail in the plastic as opposed to putting them in the side of the boat. But I wonder how long those last in the plastic before they start pulling out. :confused:

Workin' 4 Toys
04-13-2006, 11:25 AM
I will see if I have one. If not, all I can offer is a picture of the cover in the bag because it is not on the boat in my off season.

dyoungman
03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Are the snaps screwed in? Can they be removed? I am looking at a 1995 190 and it has the snaps all around and below the windshield. I have only seen pictures of the boat, but I don't know if I could live with the silver snaps everywhere.

jrhollow
03-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I have snap cover on my boat and It's a life saver. In early or late summer being able to leave the front cover on in Norther Minnesota is huge especially with a cold blooded girlfriend.

If you are just looking for a cover to leave on while it is sitting at the dock/lift I think a traditional cover would be better. Because the cover is not one piece I would have to imagine that after a while you would see fade lines in you boat.

JohnnyB
03-19-2007, 06:37 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Considering a snap cover for the open bow for towing.

I don't tow with any cover. Having the open bow covered would keep the boat much cleaner.

If you're just using the cover for mooring, I believe one with the normal draw string would be find....wouldn't have to have a ratcheting one.

dyoungman
03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
This is on a closed bow. The snaps are drilled and screwed into the fiberglass, is that correct?

JohnE
03-19-2007, 08:43 PM
My new 197 has a snap cover. I haven't picked it up yet, so I don't know how it is. I like the idea of being able to keep the bow cover on when it's cool. But my boat stays uncovered in my garage 99% of the time anyway.

mitch
03-19-2007, 08:57 PM
You get used to the snaps, and I have not had any pull out~strip etc on either of my MC's. I have a 2000 PS205 and have the 2 covers. I have a couple of buddies w/ the ratchet cover and I like the snaps better. Personal preference. Like John said it's nice to leave the front cover on sometimes, and I can cover the boat solo in 3 minutes. I had a local shop make my covers and install them for 350 3 years ago. My boat is in the water for 5 months. You can check the small pic in my profile, or shoot me a PM and I can email you a better pic. Cya!

TRBenj
03-20-2007, 08:03 AM

I have a bunch. Send me an email: TRBenj (at) gmail (dot) com

Im not a fan of snaps either- no way am I drilling holes in my boat!

kdr
03-20-2007, 08:35 AM
I've got a snap cover on my 99 205V and I really like it. The only problem I have with it is that it is a two piece cover. The seperate bow cover does not adequately shed water. Water always pools by the windshield. Also the snaps on the bow cover are pretty much on the top of the deck which can allow for water to get into the boat. I only keep my boat in on the weekends and if I know a big storm is coming, I will put it in the garage so this isn't usually that big of a deal for me.

TRBenj
03-20-2007, 01:44 PM
At the risk of upsetting the powers that be, Ill post some pics of Rankin's covers. Id have used pics of MC's, but I dont have any. If there is a problem with me sharing these pics, just let me know and Ill edit my post.

These covers use a drawstring instead of snaps. There are a series of straps in the back that tighten the cover, and then the drawstring tightens using straps and cinches. The cover is shaped very precisely and is held on by a series of soft hooks that grab the rub rail.

The fit is so tight that support poles, straps under the boat, and snaps are not necessary. These covers are the only ones Ive found that can be used while towing. Ive only test fit mine once, but the quality is very high. If anyone wants more info, shoot me an email: [email protected]

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/216_2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/tsc1rankin4.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/rankin1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/rankinSAN2.jpg

ilikeitglacy
03-20-2007, 04:46 PM
At the risk of upsetting the powers that be, Ill post some pics of Rankin's covers. Id have used pics of MC's, but I dont have any. If there is a problem with me sharing these pics, just let me know and Ill edit my post.

just thaught i'd bump that interesting thread after you decided to kill it 8p ,
i have a snap cover on X7 and i love it, can't trailer with it thought. i find ratchet covers are a pain when the boat sits at the doc, but if you are going to trailer a lot go for it

JohnnyB
03-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Mitch or others, can you post pics of your snap covers???

Sodar
03-21-2007, 02:44 PM

These covers use a drawstring instead of snaps. There are a series of straps in the back that tighten the cover, and then the drawstring tightens using straps and cinches. The cover is shaped very precisely and is held on by a series of soft hooks that grab the rub rail.

The fit is so tight that support poles, straps under the boat, and snaps are not necessary. These covers are the only ones Ive found that can be used while towing. Ive only test fit mine once, but the quality is very high. If anyone wants more info, shoot me an email: [email protected]

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/216_2.jpg

One of the few boats that looks better under the cover. Do you need support poles with the MasterCraft Ratcheting cover?

mitch
03-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Mitch or others, can you post pics of your snap covers???

Here you go

ilikeitglacy
03-21-2007, 07:50 PM
her's one.....