PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher install

LakePirate
04-10-2006, 11:14 PM
I bought a new dishwasher and have been on an never ending quest for the proper hoses. I finally got the right one and went to push it on in and the insulation won't fit. The kitchen floor was redone before I bought the house and they laid hardwood on top of the linoleum. That makes the fit extremely tight.

Has anyone ever installed a dishwasher with out the insulation? Will it really diminish the performance or damage the cabinets?

erkoehler
04-10-2006, 11:18 PM
I bought a new dishwasher and have been on an never ending quest for the proper hoses. I finally got the right one and went to push it on in and the insulation won't fit. The kitchen floor was redone before I bought the house and they laid hardwood on top of the linoleum. That makes the fit extremely tight.

Has anyone ever installed a dishwasher with out the insulation? Will it really diminish the performance or damage the cabinets?

My Dad installed ours, and there is no insulation around it.

mitch
04-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Not certain, but I believe the is insulation is for sound dampening. I've installed a few and they all seemed to have it. Other will chime in I'm sure

LakePirate
04-10-2006, 11:21 PM
My Dad installed ours, and there is no insulation around it.

So in theory I am your daddy.. :dance:

erkoehler
04-10-2006, 11:24 PM
So in theory I am your daddy.. :dance:

Just to clarify, there haven't been any issues, and there is no damage to the cabinets after 2 years.

LakePirate
04-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Just to clarify, there haven't been any issues, and there is no damage to the cabinets after 2 years.

Thanks for the info. :D

Mag_Red
04-10-2006, 11:41 PM
LP, arent there adjustable feet on the bottom of the dishwasher frame?? :confused: My thinking is to screw them in so you can obtain some more clearance.

LakePirate
04-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Did that and used the wheels on the back to put it in at an angle. However, I could only go so far with the angle and had to push straight in, at that time the insulation just wads up and it won't go.

Mag_Red
04-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Did that and used the wheels on the back to put it in at an angle. However, I could only go so far with the angle and had to push straight in, at that time the insulation just wads up and it won't go.
Use some duct tape and fasten it down in the rear of the dishwasher.

BriEOD
04-10-2006, 11:49 PM
The kitchen floor was redone before I bought the house and they laid hardwood on top of the linoleum.
Don't you love people that half-@$$ things? :mad:

LakePirate
04-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Use some duct tape and fasten it down in the rear of the dishwasher.

That is next on the try it out list..

LakePirate
04-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Don't you love people that half-@$$ things? :mad:

Especially since in my last house I pulled up 2 layers of linoleum before I laid tile. :mad:

BriEOD
04-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Especially since in my last house I pulled up 2 layers of linoleum before I laid tile. :mad:
Holy sh!t!! :rant:

LakePirate
04-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Holy sh!t!! :rant:

Exactly...it only took me about a month, a pair of boots and a pair of jeans....along with a couple of layers of skin on the hands. You can get a great adhesive remover at Lowe's that will eat through anything.

BriEOD
04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
You could pull out the hardwood under the dishwasher and then put the diswasher in and run a piece of shoe molding across the front of it.
(This would be a last resort suggestion).

LakePirate
04-11-2006, 12:06 AM
You could pull out the hardwood under the dishwasher and then put the diswasher in and run a piece of shoe molding across the front of it.
(This would be a last resort suggestion).

Oh, that would have been too much work for the previous owners contractors. The cut out is on the original sub flooring. The problem stems from the hardwood flooring and the edge of the counter top.

Rockman
04-11-2006, 02:18 PM
If the dishwasher doesn't fit in on the sides (width-wise) due to the insulation, there is an easy fix.

Get 2 pieces of cardboard that are a little bit bigger than each side of the dishwasher (front to back). Use a few small pieces of scotch tape to attach the cardboard pieces to the back of the dishwasher and do the same at the front of the dishwasher. Compress the cardboard on the sides of the dishwasher when pushing in the cabinet (or empty space under the countertop). Once the dishwaher is leveled, etc., slowly pull the cardboard out on both sides. If you use the minimal amount of scotch tape, the cardboard will come out easily.

It to height is the problem. then lowering the feet or removing some of the flooring (as mentioned earlier here) would be your only options.