PDA

View Full Version : Installing new STARTER KIT LH 302/351 Permanent Magnet.

92 190 PS
04-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Pulled the old plunger style starter off today. Now wondering if anyone has installed one of these and if so what it takes....The kit comes with the additional wires needed for installation. Just don't want to screw it up

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK122014

6ballsisall
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Yes, put one on my 86' Just follow the directions and all will be good. If you get stuck call Vince or Richard and they'll walk you thru it. It is VERY important you follow the diagram. It is setup differently electrically than the old plunger style.

I bet you'll be VERY happy with the new starter. Mine spun WAY faster than the old school starter, was way quieter and started the boat with a flick of the key. Not to mention the battery liked me a lot more too :rolleyes:

92 190 PS
04-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Box didn't contain the diagram. Email back from Vince this AM and I'm good to go now....Thanks for the reply.

It's a pretty easy install. On the relay, you have your positive battery cable. Attach the heavy wire in the kit to the same post as the positive battery cable, then to the large stud on the starter (the one with no wire attached). On the other large post, attach the thin yellow wire with the red stripe and run it to the spade connector on the starter.

campbelljo
04-19-2006, 12:44 PM
I have had the worst luck with my starter, had it in the rebuild shop at least four times last summer and it never sounded right. Always had a metalic sound when starting. Eventually had to replace my flywheel and the starter finally bit the dust to the point it was not rebuildable. The old plunger starters do not compare to the permanent magnet starters. I order mine straight from ARCO marine i think it was around 180 shipping incl. however there was no remote wire to go from my original solenoid to the one piggybacking the new starter. Once i made one of those i was not ready for the difference it made. My engine has never turned over as fast as it does now and starts as soon as you touch the key.

JohnnyB
04-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Curious 92 190 PS, who is the manufacturer of the one from DIM. Is it from indimar or someone else?

campbelljo
04-20-2006, 08:24 AM
I zoomed in on the picture on DIM's website and saw the ARCO sticker on the starter so that led me to order directly from them. They said they sell mostly through distributors however he took my order over the phone. They are located in FL and i got the starter the next day. Check out www.arcomarine.com then give em a call. There is technical help on their website for determining which rotation starter you need and they include a wiring diagram when they ship. All you need is a "jumper wire" to go from your old solenoid to the male spade switch terminal on the new solenoid that is on the new starter. You can also call them if you have any problems with installation. You may want to check with a NAPA auto parts or something comparable. I noticed the NAPA where i live had a NAPA Marine book with parts for pleasurecraft engines. Sometimes they are cheaper. Just make sure its a marine starter of course.

92 190 PS
04-20-2006, 09:16 AM
JohnyB it was a ARCO that I received from DIM. Had the boat our yesterday and it works like a champ. Was my first of many I'm sure working with DIM and they're great. The Box didn't contain directions/instructions, but emailed DIM and had them in 5 minutes. Great product support from what I can tell.