PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge 95 Maristar

DLewis
09-28-2004, 10:39 AM
The gas gauge needle has been stuck on 1/4 tank mark for several weeks. After reading several posts on gas gauge issues I pulled the sending unit from the top of the tank. Once I pulled it out, I removed the two screws holding trim plate off the bottom of the sending unit. I could see a mechinism (float?) slid up and down when you tilt the sending unit side to side. The fact that the float within the sending unit seems to work, does this point to the gauge itself, possible bad ground or both? (Once I reinstalled the sending unit, the gas gauge needle went from 1/4 to empty - where it has stayed ever since.)

Footin
09-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Take the float out and move it up and down with the key on while connected to the gauge. Your gauge should move up and down.

DLewis
09-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the 'common sense' approach. I was trying to make it harder then it needed to be.

SkySkiSpokane
09-28-2004, 04:19 PM
It is probably your sendng unit. the tube style ones they made in those year sucked!! :rant: I know from experience with my 95 prostar. Get an arm style one. Seems to work much better!!

AirJunky
09-28-2004, 04:38 PM
It is probably your sendng unit. the tube style ones they made in those year sucked!! :rant: I know from experience with my 95 prostar. Get an arm style one. Seems to work much better!!

Now wait a second, Dave. I thought you said yours is consistantly 1/4 tank off.

SkySkiSpokane
09-28-2004, 04:46 PM
That is true!! but it doesn't stick like my old tube one did all the time. I need to calibrate it big time though hahaha! I'll get to that someday :toast:

AirJunky
09-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Hey, my flag in the fill hole method hasn't stuck yet! ;)

So how do you calibrate the gas guage?

JimN
09-28-2004, 04:56 PM
If you hear the float move up and down but don't see any change, it could be that the magnets fell out of the float and are stuck to the circuit board at the 1/4 tank mark. The magnets can be glued in again, but it needs to be impervious to gasoline and similar solvents.

Before you pull the sender, turn the key on and remove one of the wires on it. If the gauge zeros out, it's the sender.

SkySkiSpokane
09-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I dunno. I think that I need to take it apart and redo the arm but it is kinda nice to have 1/4 of a tank left when the gauge is on "E". :banana: Ideas??

AirJunky
09-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Hmmmm, someone who actually knows? Hey Jim, I have a '94 & just this summer the gas guage has stopped working. It's sitting at just over 1/4 tank all the time now. If I turn the key off, it zeros but otherwise it sits at the same point all the time.
Any idea what the problem is?

DLewis
09-29-2004, 05:22 PM
JimN - If I it turns out the magnets have come lose is this tube style sending unit easy to dismantle? When I removed it the first time, I pulled off the two little screws that hold the bottom plate on but did not study it enough to determine if I could break it down further.

DLewis
09-29-2004, 05:29 PM
JimN - When I removed the sending unit, I did not notice any magnets. It appeared the tube sending unit couldn't be dismantled. With the exception of a plate on the bottom of the tube that was held on by two small screws. How do I break this sending unit down further to get to the magnets?

DLewis
09-29-2004, 05:40 PM
JimN -
The gauge was stuck @ 1/4 tank. I pulled the sending unit and could see and hear the float moving back and forth. When I reinstalled the sending unit, the gauge fell to 0 where it has stayed ever since. When I removed the sending unit, I did not see how you could dismantle it any further then removeing the two little screws on the bottom. This did not give me much access to work with.

Having the gauge fall to empty (after removing then reinstalling the sending unit) - does that impy the magent are still attached to the float - meaning a bad gauge? If not, how do I dismantle the sending unit to access the magnets?

JimN
09-29-2004, 08:04 PM
You already got the 2 screws off, remove the float and look at it for 2 small magnets glued to it. If they aren't in the tube at all, you need to replace the sender. If they're in the float and the float doesn't slide smoothly and easily on the thin circuit board, use a file to make the grooves a little bigger, just enough that the float moves easily. Reassemble it and it should work.

DLewis
10-01-2004, 11:23 AM
JimN -
I pulled the sender again last night. I can see the float moving back an forth. There is a small metal arm which is used to keep the float from coming all the way out of the bottom. Do I need to bend this metal 'bumper' to allow the float to be removed? There are some torx's screws holding the top of the sender onto the tube, do these need to be reoved - to pull the float out of the top?

Once I pulled the sender I could see one magnet stuck to the very end of the circut board. Where exactly does this magnet need to be glued to? And should there be two of them?

Thanks for your help.

JimN
10-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Can you post a photo of this bumper? I don't remember seeing this before.

DLewis
10-01-2004, 03:00 PM
I will try to get a picture tonight. However, it is pretty basic. Pull off the plastic end cap (from the bottom). Inside the tube in the center is a piece of metal seperating the tube in half - lengthwise. One side has the float the other side is the circutboard (mounted to this metal divider). It is here that the metal divider has an 'arm' or 'bumper' keeping the float from falling out the bottom.

It appears that the sending unit has been replaced by the dealer once before - you can see where the wires have been cut and spliced in. So maybe it is a generic unit.

If I can remove the top of the sending unit with a torx driver I will try that first.

Thanks for your help.