PDA

View Full Version : New Acme Prop

_JR
07-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Well, I was a complete dumba$$ last weekend, and managed to mangle my stock prop and drive shaft (won't go into the details! :( ).

Anyway, after hearing so many good things about Acme, I decided to make the change from the stock OJ prop to a 13.5x17 4 blade prop.

All I can say is WOW!!! My baby jumps out of the water like a scalded dawg and the ride is MUCH smoother overall. Top speed also kicked up from ~42 to ~46. :D

I am a happy man!!! :headbang:

MarkP
07-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Jr, congrats on the new prop!!:headbang: Now that that’s out of the way, details man details:confused:

bfinley
07-30-2004, 09:28 AM
What motor do you have?? Do you have the powerslot transmission??

André
07-31-2004, 11:37 AM
JR
What was on your boat so we can compare? The jump in top speed seems quite impressive if you have improved your hole shot that much...
And,like Mark...DETAILS!

east tx skier
07-31-2004, 12:17 PM
Very nice _JR. Did you have a 4 blade on there before? From the prop size, I'm guessing powerslot. Six months later, I'm still happy with my Acme as well. And having recently mangled a prop and a driveshaft (not on my own boat), I can understand your not wanting to relive it! ;)

_JR
08-02-2004, 12:19 AM
As for the demise of my original prop and prop shaft...I was out late on Lake Travis in an unfamiliar part of the lake and happened across a sandbar while we were going about 25 MPH... :eek:

Fortunately, besides the bend prop and damaged shaft, nothing was hurt but my pride. :(

As for my boat, it is the 250 (275 HP)Chevrolet engine with a PowerSlot tranny. Original prop was a three blade, new prop is a four blade.

The new prop has made the ride noticably smoother, and it really seems to STICK when accellerating. Wonder why MC is not using Acme like the others???

MarkP
08-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Jr

Ouch! I hate to hear those stories.. I think because I know it can happen to me at any time. As a matter of fact the last time it happened to me, the vibration getting back to the launch took the strut bushing and the main transmission seal out. But its like a train wreck, cant, look,, away.. Thanks for the details. That does blow but at least the new prop rocks.:toast:

bcampbe7
08-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Speaking of props.
I do not have a spare prop. Is this something that one should have? The reason I ask is because I will have to explain to the treasurer why we "need" to shell out the $350-$400 for a spare prop. Although I would probably use the new, better, prop and have the original as the spare. I have a 96 PS190, non-powerslot, 1:1.

MarkP
08-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Bc,

Its on my list. I would love to have a spare. But for now, I will buy one if I need a new one. I have a lot of things on the list above it

east tx skier
08-02-2004, 10:33 AM
A spare prop is a good thing to have. I still have my OJ 3 blade in my Acme box. As for why MC didn't go with Acme, my guess would be that it's because OJ started producing CNC'd props and they have a good business relationship with OJ. But that's just a guess. OJ makes good props (and does great with repairs as I've recently discovered), but I'm a huge fan of Acme, needless to say.

Tom Wortham
08-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Doug and others in North/East Texas,
Any recommedations on where to pick up a ACME 4 blade in North Texas. I have the original OJ 3 blade 13x13 on my 86 MC. Considering a 4 blade... and ACME seems to be the way to go. Regards.

G-man
08-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Try the slalom shop if no one knows what to order try Buxton Marine.

east tx skier
08-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Tom, are you running a power slot? Have you spoken to anyone at Acme yet? I got mine through www.schitzskis.com. It was the best price I found anywhere. As for local dealers, it is my assumption that MC doesn't carry them because they do not offer Acme stock on their boats. I know that SWCC in Lindale has literature sitting out about them. I presume, therefore, that they are an authorized dealer.

Tom Wortham
08-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Doug,
I've owned my boat for 9 years. Embarrassed to say... I don't know if it is a "Power Slot" or not. I think it is... not sure how I can tell. Doug after reading a few more threads... I guess mine is NOT a Power Slot...since the shaft is 1 inch and not the 1 1/8 inch. Any other ways to tell?

east tx skier
08-02-2004, 05:16 PM
I think there's a tag by the tranny. But at 1", it's a 1:1. What made you choose the 4 blade acme over the 3 blade? I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Just curious.

Tom Wortham
08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Doug, Haven't done anything yet... Just was impressed with the tread that talked to the 4 blade. Sounds like you stayed with the 3 blade...? Enlighten me! Getting a new prop is "on the list" however, it might have to take a back seat to new carpet and interior. If you remember... I was trying to see it and get a newer MC less than a month ago. I have someone that wants to come look at it this weekend. If it doesn't sell... then I'm off to the races restoring it... If it goes... I'm going to call the guy who is trying to sell a 1998 / 205. Regards.

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Tom, since I haven't personally compared Acme's 3 blade to their 4 blade on the water, I'll just give you the link to their FAQ section where they talk about the two props.

http://www.acmemarine.com/html/faq.html

Andyg
08-03-2004, 11:41 AM
In my never ending search for speed I decided to contact ACME. They suggested a 13X12 with a .080 cup. I am going to order one and try it out. I will let everyone know the results once it is on.

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 02:46 PM
That's what I'm running, Andy. What kind of boat do you have? Let us know how it goes.

Andyg
08-03-2004, 03:34 PM
I have a 2003 PS 197 with the MCX and 1:1 drive. I probably wont have the new prop on and be able to take the boat out for at least two weeks. My other toy (2004 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide) has been feeling neglected for the past month and a half, since I got the new boat, so I am going out to Sturgis with it.

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Sounds like you have my dream boat, Andy. Post some pics when you get a chance. I thought they were putting OJ XMPs on the new boats, which are CNC'd like the acmes. Maybe that's as of this year though.

vtbuehler
08-03-2004, 10:00 PM
I have had my ACME Prop for a year and I really like it. We ski and wakeboard with it. With the added weight of the fat sacks it has a much better hole shot then the OJ did. Anyway I use the OJ for my spare prop. :headbang:

captkidd
08-04-2004, 02:10 PM
As far as spare props, I would highly recommend having one also. Nothing worse than driving two hours to the lake and damaging your prop as soon as you unload (BTDT). I try to always carry my spare prop and my prop puller in the truck, especially if we're going camping at the lake for several days. On second thought, damaging the prop on the first day of a multi-day trip would be worse.

_JR
08-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Doug and others in North/East Texas,
Any recommedations on where to pick up a ACME 4 blade in North Texas. I have the original OJ 3 blade 13x13 on my 86 MC. Considering a 4 blade... and ACME seems to be the way to go. Regards.

Tom -

Just give Acme a ring, I bought mine from them directly, and had it on my doorstep the following day. :D