PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problem--HELP!!!

JohnnyB
04-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Dewinterized the boat today. Took me a long time to get it started....once it started, I hopped out to walk around the boat immediately noticing the prop spinning :eek: :eek:

I immediately shut it down, checked the tranny fluid level which was OK....restarted and found the prop still spinning!!!

TWO QUESTIONS:

1) Is there anything else simple I can check before I haul it to the dealer???

2) How much damage to you think I did to the strut bearing??

brianaw26
04-09-2006, 06:44 PM
mine will spin very slow out of the water when the engine is running..... How fast is it going?

erkoehler
04-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Dewinterized the boat today. Took me a long time to get it started....once it started, I hopped out to walk around the boat immediately noticing the prop spinning :eek: :eek:

I immediately shut it down, checked the tranny fluid level which was OK....restarted and found the prop still spinning!!!

TWO QUESTIONS:

1) Is there anything else simple I can check before I haul it to the dealer???

2) How much damage to you think I did to the strut bearing??

The prop may spin, but it shouldn't be at a very fast speed. Unless it was spinning at a very high RPM, I wouldn't think any damage was done.

Hoosier Bob
04-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Is it spinning as soon as you start it up like it is in gear or somewhat slower? Assumning no changes to linkage or any other adjustments have been performed? If linkage appears ok then you may just have a very close tolerance that is made even closer when stored (plates/pressure plate corrosion). This can happen during storage and will burn off so to speak on first use. Have someone else start the boat, move into forward then reverse (let it stop before you change back from forward to reverse) then back into neutral. Spray the drive shaft down with water before you begin. If it is an instant spin after this you may have an issue but I still believe the first use will clear this up. My guess is also your bearing is fine. Check for play. :twocents

JohnnyB
04-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Define pretty fast....seemed almost like it was matching idle speed....

Doesn't seem to be play in the stut....its only got about 20 hours on it.

I think I'll go with the recommendation of giving it a good hard run next weekend and then retrying it with the fake-a-lake in the driveway and possibly running it in reverse and back to neutral to see if it happens immediatly or gradually......

rodltg2
04-09-2006, 06:52 PM
spinning is normal,if it actually m oves the boat in the water, then it may be too much

Hoosier Bob
04-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Edited above post. Do not go from rev to fwd quickly! I meant go into forward, observe if speed changes. Neutral then reverse and observe speed. You should see a difference from a distance! If so you may only need to run her! Keep yourself, obvious, and pets away!;)

JohnnyB
04-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Hoosier Bob and Rod....I was editing my reply while you guys were posting...thanks for the suggestions!!!! I am hoping to go footin next Friday or Saturday and then give it a retry in the driveway.....I'll probably try the forward-neutral-reverse-neutral with a second hose spraying on the shaft and see what happens.....

erkoehler
04-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Johnny B, if it is slow enough where you can watch a single blade, and stay with it while its spining, then there isn't an issue.

88 PS190
04-09-2006, 07:19 PM
you could also try stopping the shaft, to see if its engaged or not.

Hoosier Bob
04-09-2006, 08:40 PM
The shaft! Not the prop! Take hold of the shaft well above the prop! I'll never forget when my brother and I replaced a transmission in a 69 Nova. Linkage hooked up wrong and dumbarse brother thought the tires were spinning due to the clutch. It was an automatic! Puts his hand on the tire and a split second later the polyglass 50's turned his hand through the fender well slicing the back of his hand open. To the hospital we go! Stay away form the prop! ;)

Leroy
04-09-2006, 09:56 PM
This was discussed some time ago and was more common than you would expect. I believe there is an adjustment in the transmission, not easy, or I believe some had used a thicker transmission oil. ICBW.

JohnnyB
04-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I did a search on the site and didn't find anything.....I may have the borg-werner manual and will look.

If you can remember more about the specific post and can find the link that would be helpful....it didn't show up in the 3 or 4 pages I looked at when I searched on transmission

thanks.

flipper
04-09-2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4858&highlight=transmission

Found this one, didn't read it but sounds close to what you are talking about.

Leroy
04-09-2006, 11:10 PM
I found a couple with info.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1277&highlight=spinning
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1852&highlight=spinning

east tx skier
04-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Mine will turn a little. I'm told it is a glaze that forms on the clutch pack (?). Sorry if I got that terminology wrong. Dealer told me that he has seen it begin on boats with as little as a few hundred hours, and that it's nothing to worry about.

Now if it's really spinning fast, you might have something bigger to deal with. Like Rod said, it shouldn't be pushing the boat in the water.

JohnnyB
04-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I've always thought the creeping was from the exhaust as opposed to from the prop.....it certainly doesn't move like it's in gear.

There is a new dealership opening in the Green Bay area. I called them yesterday afternoon. Although they are not open for business, they answered the phone.

The guy I talked to said he would talk to his tech and get back to me as to how they might get me in for repair even though they really aren't open for business yet.

They called me back this morning about 8:30am and gave me similar advise as to what I heard here. Basically, he said it is normal after storage to see this. He recommended running it in the water to see what happens as he believes it will go away.

I mentioned to him that I appreciated his advise and also that he's got a great opportunity in the area to do well as his competition doesn't have good service for inboards.....without saying a word, you could tell we both understood the competition I was talking about....he said, that's our goal to unseat the incumbent with better service.....

He'll be getting my business.....

JohnnyB
04-14-2006, 10:52 PM
You guys were right. I took my boat out and ran it hard all afternoon.....on the water for 3.5hours footin'....according to the GPS, we did 32+ miles. Brought the boat home, started it with the fake a lake and no prop movement whatsoever..... :dance:

Hoosier Bob
04-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Way to go JB! Better safe than sorry! So how was the skiing? Any pics?

JohnnyB
04-19-2006, 06:28 PM
I'll bug my nephew "the bleeder" (see blood stains on my seat thread) for the digital pics he took. Was very windy but almost 80 degrees which is fantastic for April in Wisconsin. Other than a few very choppy spots where the river was exposed to the wind, we found great footin water....stay tuned for pics.