PDA

View Full Version : new baby (X2) pics

feydakin
04-09-2006, 10:11 AM
couldn't help it. some pics of my 03 X2 I just picked up. anyone have advice or any issues with this boat I should know about (besides figuring out how in the world to trailer and back it up ...)? I'm coming from I/O experience so just curious if I should watch for anything besides changing impeller, normal oil change, etc.

bigmac
04-09-2006, 10:53 AM
couldn't help it. some pics of my 03 X2 I just picked up. anyone have advice or any issues with this boat I should know about (besides figuring out how in the world to trailer and back it up ...)? I'm coming from I/O experience so just curious if I should watch for anything besides changing impeller, normal oil change, etc.

The trailer uses hydraulic surge brakes, so backing up activates the braking system. I'm not sure about the '03s but on my '04 there's a solenoid that is activated by the truck's backup circuit in the 7 wire connector that disengages the brakes while backing up. My trailer has no practical manual lock-out. Be aware that these trailers can be a little problematic, according to various reports here on TeamTalk. You may notice, for example, that the trailer wheels lock up on slowing down when pulling the trailer empty (I do). You may find issues with the cylinder or other aspects of the hydraulic system that causes one wheel or the other to lock. Braking issues aside, they're pretty nice trailers.

Loading and unloading the boat might be a little different for you. Note that these boats are drive-on/drive-off rather than floating the boat on and off. If you try to float it on and off, you will likely find that the rear vertical guides gouge the side of the boat. Make sure you have good (and soft) end caps on those guides if you try it that way. You may also find that the bow won't come up over the bow-stop if you have the trailer in far enough to float it on/off. Otherwise, for drive-on/off, the angle and depth of the various boat ramps you use will create some variability in how far you back it in. Note that your trailer has a prop guard on it. That means that you can't hit the prop while driving on or off. Obviously, watch your approach speed - advance onto the trailer with enough speed to engage your automatic bow-lock when the bow-eye hits it (make sure it's set to auto-engage).

I'm still trying to figure out the best impeller approach. The manual says change it every year. My dealer says that's unnecessary. I pulled mine at the end of the season and it looked fine. I have a spare, but haven't decided whether to use the old one or not. Note that pulling the impeller on the V-drives is problematic because of lack of room back there. Pulling the impeller on a V-drive is greatly facilitated by getting an impeller puller. Also note that the bolts that secure the cover plate on that raw water pump are brass, and soft. I bought several extra hex bolts for that cover from SkiDim. Also, do make sure you periodically pull the bottom raw water hose off the transmission cooler to make sure there are no weeds impeding flow. The hardest thing on an impeller is running the engine with no water flow, so make sure the impeller is well lubed (MasterCraft recommends vaseline) at your initial start up when the entire raw water circuit is dry after winterizing.

Nice boat. You're going to love it.

feydakin
04-09-2006, 09:40 PM
hey thanks bigmac. that's good advice - the dealer also mentioned the surge brake problem (and sold me the adaptor for my truck wiring harness).

trailering is definitely different. i'm going to have to work on that one some.

do you recommend any impeller pullers or know where to get them?

bigmac
04-09-2006, 11:44 PM
hey thanks bigmac. that's good advice - the dealer also mentioned the surge brake problem (and sold me the adaptor for my truck wiring harness).

trailering is definitely different. i'm going to have to work on that one some.

do you recommend any impeller pullers or know where to get them?

Well, if found out this afternoon that the Jabsco impeller puller won't work on a '04 230VRS V-drive. See this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8195). It all has to do with the location of the silencer relative to the raw water pump on my particular model. May not be an issue for you.

SkiDim sells the Jabsco impeller puller - about $45. West Marine also has one (you'd want the smaller of the two) but it's about $20 more.

On my boat, the top-most bolt on the raw water pump cover plate is so close to the silencer that I can't even get a socket on it - gotta use an open-end wrench. Other three cover bolts - no problem with a 5/16 socket.

Bad design.

Leroy
04-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Nice boat! How many hours? Which engine? Compared to the I/O it will be a dream! There are service/winterization lists in the FAQ section that might be good to read.

I'm with Bigmac, I am going to start going several years per impeller. I pull it out after one year and it looks new still. My lake is pretty clean.

east tx skier
04-10-2006, 12:09 AM
I'll throw one in for the change the impeller every spring camp. It's just cheap insurance. I've seen one go bad after a couple of years and it's a major pain even if you don't overheat.

Great looking boat!

Kevin 89MC
04-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I change mine every 3-4 years, no problems here. Can you use the "paint can opener" trick with the v-drives? Get yourself 1 or 2 paint can openers, the kind that area bout 4" long, just a rod with a 90 degree hook on one end, and a loop for opening beer bottles at the other end. They slide right down between the vanes, and hook on the back side of the impeller. Then it pulls out very easily. Not sure if there is room for that on a v-drive, though. Welcome aboard, and nice boat! I love the black with red stripe. Very cool!
Good luck.

feydakin
04-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks all - great advice and great to be a member of the MC family. This site is really cool.

One other dumb question I noticed after it rained this weekend. The ski locker in the belly of my boat (where the middle ballast is located on my KGB ballast system) is full of water even after I pulled the T handle and let it drain all day. Should this not drain back into the t handle drain area (w round hole in middle of floor)? I can't believe there's not a hole in the bottom of that locker for draining. I've looked under the bag but can't see everything without trying to remove it (and all the hoses).

NORTHERN LIGHTS
04-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks all - great advice and great to be a member of the MC family. This site is really cool.

One other dumb question I noticed after it rained this weekend. The ski locker in the belly of my boat (where the middle ballast is located on my KGB ballast system) is full of water even after I pulled the T handle and let it drain all day. Should this not drain back into the t handle drain area (w round hole in middle of floor)? I can't believe there's not a hole in the bottom of that locker for draining. I've looked under the bag but can't see everything without trying to remove it (and all the hoses).
Make sure the boat is level--it will drain. leave the plug out when not in the water. Don't forget to PUT IT BACK. been there done that!!

JRW160
02-10-2012, 07:07 AM
I bought this boat from a guy in Arkansas about a year ago. I ran across this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16684) while searching on bleeding my trailer brakes. I had always wondered what happened to that side of the trailer under the fender.

JBrew
02-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I bought this boat from a guy in Arkansas about a year ago. I ran across this thread (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16684) while searching on bleeding my trailer brakes. I had always wondered what happened to that side of the trailer under the fender.

Wow I hope they did a good job patching that fiber glass. That's gnarly man. Did you know about the damage to the boat?

Jerseydave
02-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Wow I hope they did a good job patching that fiber glass. That's gnarly man. Did you know about the damage to the boat?

Looks like mostly fender damage, I would assume they just replaced that fender with a new one? Is the trailer frame ok? One pic looks like a crack in the frame rail?

I would bet the caliper gave him problems....many calipers had tight pistons around that year.

JBrew
02-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Looks like mostly fender damage, I would assume they just replaced that fender with a new one? Is the trailer frame ok? One pic looks like a crack in the frame rail?

I would bet the caliper gave him problems....many calipers had tight pistons around that year.

Am I mistaken that the fender put a huge hole in the fiberglass? From the looks of the pic itappers pretty large.

19_Skier
02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Am I mistaken that the fender put a huge hole in the fiberglass? From the looks of the pic itappers pretty large.

that may be the fender playing tricks on you. doesn't look like the boat took any damage from those pictures - unless I am the one missing something! :D

BrooksfamX2
02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
that may be the fender playing tricks on you. doesn't look like the boat took any damage from those pictures - unless I am the one missing something! :D

I concur.........:)

JBrew
02-10-2012, 11:04 AM
I concur.........:)

Ahhh sure was :uglyhamme:

Jerseydave
02-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Looks to me like the fender is cracked and bent up against the side of the boat. I also thought there was a huge hole in the boat but picture was playing tricks on me.

bturner2
02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I had a 03 X2 and it wasn't without it's share of gremlins.

Mine was the model with the wrong rotation prop that caused all kinds of handling problems. Switched the cable on the throttle and put a new prop on to fix that.

Then replaced the rudder to the new style and the steering lightened up and actually made the boat pleasant to drive.

Had the hanging calipers and called Reliable. They were nice enough to send me an entire set of calipers and pads which fixed that problem.

Had the intermittent gauge problem that also caused my PP not to function on a restart. Perfect Pass send me a noise suppressor to plug in line to the PP and that problem was gone.

Was getting ready to run new ground to dash as a final effort to resolve the gauge problem before handing it one over to the local dealer to figure out but decided to trade up to a newer 07 X2 and sold the boat.

As bad as all those problems sound I got the boat for a steal as it had sat in a garage for three years and only had 35 hours on it. By the time I sold it, it was really starting to be a really nice reliable boat and I made some good money on it even with all the repairs. Once my wife got a ride in a friends new style X2 she was a easy sale to the next boat.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new boat. Good luck and welcome to the club......

bcd
02-10-2012, 06:15 PM
My 02 X Star would never drain all the water out of the ski locker. There was a hole to allow it to drain to the rear, but it was higher than where the water would sit. I just got in the habit of shop vac'ing the ski locker dry when I put the boat in the garage.

JRW160
02-10-2012, 06:43 PM
I've had the boat for about a year and it's been mostly trouble free thus far. I don't think there was any damage to the boat from the trailering incident. I probably put 1500 miles on the trailer last summer without any issues.

I didn't know anything about the damage until I crawled under the trailer one day. You can see that the fender mount has been rewelded.

The ski locker does hold water, which is annoying. We've been really happy with the boat thus far. I had to replace a couple sections of the vinyl, but from what I've read that is expected with that year.

Jerseydave
02-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Have you tried putting a plug in the hole between the ski locker and the bilge? At least then the bilge water cannot get into the ski locker. Rain water still can however. On my '03 Maristar 230 I had to also use a shop vac on occasion for the ski locker.

Nice boat!