PDA

View Full Version : which plugs? 03 X2

feydakin
04-09-2006, 12:00 AM
I've got a new (to me) 03 X2 w/ the predator 310HP engine. any recommendations on whic plugs to use? this is my first inboard - with car engines I would almost always upgrade to platinum plugs when tuning up because the cost difference was small. Is this worth it/recommended with an indmar? what about changing rotor/distributor - worth it at 200 hrs?

Also - has anyone ever changed to a K&N automotive airfilter on these engines?

thanks, nick

JimN
04-09-2006, 03:24 AM
What plugs are in it? If they're AC with the stainless body, use them. Check the owner's manual to see what it should have. The marine plugs are used because the body is stainless and won't rust into the heads, they come from GM in the motor and they're made for marine use. Have you ever calculated the difference from using the different plugs? Keep the flame arrestor clean and you won't need to use a K&N.

feydakin
04-09-2006, 09:55 AM
thanks Jim. I'll check on the plugs - do you replace the rotor/dist every time you replace plugs as well? With cars I would usually skip this until around 75-90K miles but not sure with the indmar again.

JimN
04-09-2006, 12:21 PM
I usually check it and if I don't have any ignition issues, it'll keep it if it doesn't have a lot of hours on it. I've had good luck with the Borg Warner cap/rotor and they have a premium series with a 5 year warranty.