PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice Fast!!

Datdude
04-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Here is the situation. My wife had been at her last job for almost 3 years. She was not used to her full potential, and there was no opportunity for advancement. My boss being the generous person he is used his connections(it's not what you know...it's WHO you know) and assisted her in getting a job at another company here in town with many opportunities for advancement although the money was the same. She has been at the new job for about two weeks and really likes the company and the people she works with. The problem is that she got a call this morning and was offered a job that pays 50% more than she is making now. The issue is that my boss put his reputation on the line and "vouched" for my wife. I also personally think that it looks bad to start a job and work for two weeks...then leave. On the other side of the coin, she was not out looking for another job and was approached with a very generous offer with a reputable company. When I discussed this with my boss this morning he said that taking the job is the right thing to do. She needs to give the new company her decision by Monday morning. What is the proper way to handle this? Thanks

Farmer Ted
04-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Here is the situation. My wife had been at her last job for almost 3 years. She was not used to her full potential, and there was no opportunity for advancement. My boss being the generous person he is used his connections(it's not what you know...it's WHO you know) and assisted her in getting a job at another company here in town with many opportunities for advancement although the money was the same. She has been at the new job for about two weeks and really likes the company and the people she works with. The problem is that she got a call this morning and was offered a job that pays 50% more than she is making now. The issue is that my boss put his reputation on the line and "vouched" for my wife. I also personally think that it looks bad to start a job and work for two weeks...then leave. On the other side of the coin, she was not out looking for another job and was approached with a very generous offer with a reputable company. When I discussed this with my boss this morning he said that taking the job is the right thing to do. She needs to give the new company her decision by Monday morning. What is the proper way to handle this? Thanks

Sounds like your boss is ok with it, good move on keeping him in the loop since he vouched for her.

Without considering money, does the other job have equal or better opportunities for advancement?

Which job does she think she’ll be happier at? Money is nice but piece of mind/sanity is worth a lot more than a fat paycheck.

If it were me, I’d stay at the current job unless I wasn’t happy there.

Keep in mind taxes, the more you make the more they take. A guy I work with who retired from the Air Force and got hired as a Civil Servant, his pay jumped 60 grand in one year and now he’s got to pay an additional 5 grand in taxes because he didn’t withhold enough or contribute to a 401K. Poor planning on his part, but one thing to keep in mind if you income increases substantially.

Jabrew
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
The key is longevity stick with what you got and workyour way up. There will always be a better offer.

Datdude
04-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Sounds like your boss is ok with it, good move on keeping him in the loop since he vouched for her.

Without considering money, does the other job have equal or better opportunities for advancement?

Which job does she think she’ll be happier at? Money is nice but piece of mind/sanity is worth a lot more than a fat paycheck.

If it were me, I’d stay at the current job unless I wasn’t happy there.

The new company offers the same opportunities for advancement so that is not an issue. The idea of her staying at her current "new" job is more comfortable for me, but we could sure use the extra money. The other advantage to switching is that the owner of the company is honestly one of the nicest people we know, and is also a very successful business person. We are a young couple(I'm 27 and she is 29), will eventually be starting a family and the extra money would be very helpful. I am very torn though. My first comment to her affter I heard about the offer was to stay where she is and grow with the company. However the saying about a bird in hand is worth two in the bush comes to mind.

6ballsisall
04-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Explore the new opportunity thoroughly to make sure it provides the career track she wants and the atmosphere she wants. If it does, go for it!

The fact that she's only been with this company for 2 weeks means it doesn't need to be on her resume for the future. Someone mentioned longevity, which is important, but given the fact that she was at her last role for 3 years she is just fine.

Smart move keeping your boss in the loop. Don't want to burn any bridges there at all!

As for taxes, while I don't like paying lots of taxes anymore than the next guy, every scenario I have been in where I paid more taxes I also always put more money in my pocket along the way too.

Just my :twocents: Best of luck in her decision making process

6ballsisall
04-08-2006, 01:44 PM
One last comment, don't forget you are your own business too. Your contribution not only to your employer is important, but the contribution it provides you is why you do it. That includes looking at finances, career track, a "good fit", etc....

Datdude
04-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the good advice guys! It is appreciated! Keep it coming :D

Farmer Ted
04-08-2006, 02:43 PM
As for taxes, while I don't like paying lots of taxes anymore than the next guy, every scenario I have been in where I paid more taxes I also always put more money in my pocket along the way too.

Just a reminder to be aware that if your income increases so does your tax bracket. If the dude I work with would have contributed to his 401K he would have stayed in the lower tax bracket and could have avoided writing the $5,000 check to Uncle Sugar. Not to mention starting a nice little nest egg.

ski_king
04-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Remember the ultimate decision is up to your wife.

I guess she needs to consider everything and understand she will most likley NOT be welcome back at the company she just got hired at.

All things equal, I would go for the $$ but be careful at tax time.

peason
04-08-2006, 03:01 PM
The saying goes money isn't everything holds true some times. Enjoying who you work with and work for makes a big difference. I took a transfer 4 years ago and I left the company I transferred with because I got a great offer from a competitor. It has been the best career move I have made - the bonus is I really enjoy the people I work with. I probably would not have left my old company if I got along with my boss better - he was not fun to work with and it was going to be a long time before I got the opportunity to move up the ladder.

Sounds like she is working with a good company now - is it worth the move? Will she have the opportunity to work part time after the kids come along? I am sure there will be opportunities to make a move later.

Good luck with the decision

jeverett
04-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Though the money is nice, I have been in this situation before. You need to concider the stability of both companies. A red flag in my mind would be the 50% more pay, are thay really asking her to do the same job or is this other company going to as much more of her, so much so that she would be miserable. I agree with Ski King al things equal go for the $$.

Datdude
04-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Comparing the companies is like comparing apples to apples. Both are very successful, reputable companies that are fast growing and the owners of both businesses(fairly large for this area) work everyday in the offices. The job description is similar, but these two businesses are in related, but different fields(not competiton). The job is a step above her current job which is the reason for the pay difference(workload issues should not be a problem). I am guessing it would take her a few years (or more) to get to this pay level with her current job-if at all. The owner of the business that called and offered her the job this morning is as nice a person as you could find, and is very successful at running the business. Either place would be a fine place to work, but a 50% raise is A LOT OF MONEY!!!! I am having a hard time getting past the MONEY. According to my wife she would be happy to work at either company.....but it comes back to the money. I am trying to play the devil's advocate here and it is not working. My suggestion was to sit down on Monday morning with her current boss and explain the situation to see what kind of reaction she gets. The other company needs an answer on Monday though. Am I over thinking this situation?

shepherd
04-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Any decent boss would understand, and should accept, that an employee will leave if given a better offer, no matter how long (or short) the employee was working there. And if he's not ok with it, would you really want to work with him? She's a free woman, not a slave.

rodltg2
04-08-2006, 07:20 PM
make sure the new company's offer is what will really happen. a simalar situation happened to my girlfriend just recentley only difference i wasnt involved.. a doctor at her work decided to open up her own practice . she decided to take some of the staff with her including my girlfriend. she promissed them higher pay , which meant about $3 more an hour for my girlfriend. well it turned out when it was time to set the pay rate she only ended up getting $1 more. by this time it was too late becuase she already had quit her other job.. she ended up hating the new job and ended up quitting after 3 months.

just beware and make sure there not just blowin smoke.

6ballsisall
04-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Any decent boss would understand, and should accept, that an employee will leave if given a better offer, no matter how long (or short) the employee was working there. And if he's not ok with it, would you really want to work with him? She's a free woman, not a slave.

TRU DAT!!! :toast:

Brent
04-08-2006, 09:50 PM
You covered your end by speaking to your boss! Your wife should make the choice After weighing all the factors Plus & Minus, is the travel time to work much different between the 2 jobs. Ultimatly it is your wifes choice , she has to do the work.

bcampbe7
04-08-2006, 10:07 PM
I can't remember if you mentioned this or not, but is the benefit package equal.
A lot of times employers will offer less of a benefit package and pay more.

As mentioned before though, all thing equal, take the money.

JohnnyB
04-09-2006, 06:29 PM
I'll throw another idea out there......

If it is the same type of job with same qualifications and same advancement opportunities.....why does the new employer pay so much better??? Let's say the field she is employed in is tight for labor right now and she's being "bought" to fill a needed vacancy at a compensation that is much higher than typical, if there is a downturn in economy or business in general, she will have "a target on her back".....

Datdude
04-09-2006, 11:08 PM
I'll throw another idea out there......

If it is the same type of job with same qualifications and same advancement opportunities.....why does the new employer pay so much better??? Let's say the field she is employed in is tight for labor right now and she's being "bought" to fill a needed vacancy at a compensation that is much higher than typical, if there is a downturn in economy or business in general, she will have "a target on her back".....

The pay is better at the new job because it is a step up the ladder over her current job. The new company recently purchased a competitor and the owner did some reshuffling and let a few people go. The nice thing is that the owner is the one who personally called to offer my wife the job without her applying for it.....so they want her. This would lead me to believe that she would be safe from the target, but I guess anything is possible. The benefits are pretty comparable with the slight advantage going to her current job, however the money makes up for the difference. I just hope that her current boss understands. We live in a relatively small town and I really do not like hiding from people when you see them around town. Thanks for all of the advice guys.......this site is AWESOME. I will keep you posted!

Leroy
04-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I would have your wife go to the present job boss, present the basics, similar job, 50% more pay and see if they want to counter. Tell them offer came out of the blue she is very happy here, but this is very significant. They may match, come close or see your wife in more desirable light and move her to higher position at present company.

If not I see nothing wrong with picking up 50% more money. Paying more taxes is a good sign, much better than paying no taxes! Nothing wrong with being in the top tax bracket!
With most raises today even for late 20's I think it will take some time to make up 50% salary.

Datdude
04-10-2006, 10:47 AM
I would have your wife go to the present job boss, present the basics, similar job, 50% more pay and see if they want to counter. Tell them offer came out of the blue she is very happy here, but this is very significant. They may match, come close or see your wife in more desirable light and move her to higher position at present company.

If not I see nothing wrong with picking up 50% more money. Paying more taxes is a good sign, much better than paying no taxes! Nothing wrong with being in the top tax bracket!
With most raises today even for late 20's I think it will take some time to make up 50% salary.

She is doing exactly that right now. I will find out at lunch what happened. :o

Thrall
04-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Didn't read the whole thread, but one more thing to think about.......... You live in Minocqua. I know the area quite well and there aren't too many high paying jobs around there unless you are in a very lucrative or specialized business.
If you're wife has the opportunity to move up substantially in pay with similar benefits, advancement potential, and a solid job (not temporary), I'd say take it.
You live in small town USA, so if you're worried about her current employer saying bad things, don't be because there will always be someone down at the corner bar talking smack about someone anyway. If the decision's in her best interest, give them something to talk about for a couple days and move ahead.
When we moved to Park Falls, my wife got a coveted job in town (Nurse Mgr for Marshfield Clinic, PF and Phillips). There were several pissed off people for a while, but they got over it. Even friends w/ a couple of them now.
Take the new job, money talks!!!

maristarman
04-10-2006, 01:58 PM
It's great that you've kept your boss in the loop, and it's obvious your wife is concerned about the company she may be leaving.

One thing I haven't heard people mention is what your wife commited to when she took this job 2 weeks ago. Were there other people in the mix for the job? What did your wife say to the new company to make them pick her over one of the other candidates?

My point is, if just a few short weeks ago, she was telling the company that hired her things like "I know a lot about this company and it is the type of environment I know I'd be happy at for a long time, etc. etc. etc." then she should think about that.

There is the saying "Business is business", but a persons integrity shouldn't be for sale.

The fact that you and your wife are struggling with this issue says a lot of great things about your character.

Money isn't everything. We had a person transfer out of our department recently because he was miserable. When he transferred in less than 6 months ago he got a nice raise. He actually transferred back to his old department, and took a pay cut to do it. The job just didn't fit. No problems with co-workers or anything like that. The job just didn't make him happy.

Hoff1
04-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Tough decision, new job could be better money but could be the worst job ever. Or, better money could be the best thing ever. Always tough, especially if you battle it ethically.

My girlfriend has been at a new job for 5 weeks, and probably will be turning her notice in this week for another job. Her situation is different, pay is basically the same. But, the current place neglected to tell her that she got no benefits for 3 months, no paid holidays for 6 months and no paid vacation for 12 months until after she started. Partly her fault for not asking, but still I think it was incredibly shady to leave that part out.

Datdude
04-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all of the great advice guys! I wish there was a way to look into the future and see which job will work out better in the end. My big concern is that it may take a few years at her current job to get to the pay level the new job is offering now. I think she could be happy in both jobs so that is not really a concern. My sticking point is loyalty to her current company. After two weeks of employment they do not have a lot invested in her.....yet. However it is a small town and having a bad reputation is not something we are looking for. When she approached her current employer this morning they could not give her a definate schedule of progression up the ladder so for all she knows she could be stuck in her current role for quite some time(looking for a little more challenge already?). We discussed her options over lunch today and she is physically ill about the entire situation. 6pm tonight is the deadline. :confused:

Datdude
04-10-2006, 06:28 PM
a persons integrity shouldn't be for sale.

That is what scares me. I don't want her to come across like it is for sale. :confused:

bcampbe7
04-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks for all of the great advice guys! I wish there was a way to look into the future and see which job will work out better in the end. My big concern is that it may take a few years at her current job to get to the pay level the new job is offering now. I think she could be happy in both jobs so that is not really a concern. My sticking point is loyalty to her current company. After two weeks of employment they do not have a lot invested in her.....yet. However it is a small town and having a bad reputation is not something we are looking for. When she approached her current employer this morning they could not give her a definate schedule of progression up the ladder so for all she knows she could be stuck in her current role for quite some time(looking for a little more challenge already?). We discussed her options over lunch today and she is physically ill about the entire situation. 6pm tonight is the deadline. :confused:

Having read this, take the other position but not just for the money.
If her current employer cannot give her a clear-cut schedule of progression then she should leave. :twocents:

6ballsisall
04-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Having read this, take the other position but not just for the money.
If her current employer cannot give her a clear-cut schedule of progression then she should leave. :twocents:

I am with Beau. if current company can't get her some sort of career track and that is important to your wife, then chances are good she is in the wrong position, wrong company. Move on to new things. Do all thats possible to keep an amicable relationship at the place she'd be leaving and then move on with your lives.

Leroy
04-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Well have you popped the champagne yet!!!!????

She is doing exactly that right now. I will find out at lunch what happened. :o

Datdude
04-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Well have you popped the champagne yet!!!!????

no champagne.....Miller Lite!!! She just got back from a 2 hour meeting with her NEW boss!! Looks like all is going to work out for the best. I just want to make sure everything is ended on good terms and everyone can move on. I really can not stress how great this website is. Where else can you post a question and get tons of information from total stangers? Thank you all for helping us out in this situation. Let's hope it works out as well as it looks now. Thanks again guys

:toast: :toast: :toast:

6ballsisall
04-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Congrats Datdudes wife!! :cool:

Stash the cash and fund that retirement!! :wavey:

BeavenX5
04-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Congratulations to your wife. I think she did the right thing.

Where else can you post a question and get tons of information from total stangers? Thank you all for helping us out in this situation.

I am not sure we should be called "total strangers". We never met but are all part of a great community. ;)

Leroy
04-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Congrats Datdude and Datgal! You guys worked this very professionally and the results show!

no champagne.....Miller Lite!!! She just got back from a 2 hour meeting with her NEW boss!! Looks like all is going to work out for the best. I just want to make sure everything is ended on good terms and everyone can move on. I really can not stress how great this website is. Where else can you post a question and get tons of information from total stangers? Thank you all for helping us out in this situation. Let's hope it works out as well as it looks now. Thanks again guys

:toast: :toast: :toast:

Datdude
04-11-2006, 11:34 AM
I am not sure we should be called "total strangers". We never met but are all part of a great community. ;)

That is a good way to put it.

Thanks again for everything guys!