PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Sticking

snivesatgt
04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
First off wanted to say this is a great resource. Just completed my registration and plan to post/browse the board often.

I have a 88 Prostar 190 w/ a 351 and a Holley Carb on it. The past couple of weeks, the boat started to have the throttle stick when accelerating (pulling the skiing up). I made sure that the throttle cable was nice and clean (not sticking).

Any ideas of what to look at next - running out of ideas. Anything else on the carb that could be sticking??

Thx,
Ben

TMCNo1
04-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Try applying some 3-in-1 oil or WD40 with a straw on all the moving exterior parts of the carb when it's NOT running, especially the throttle shafts, accelerator pump linkage and all the other linkage, then see if it still sticks. When its not running have someone move the throttle to WOT and return to idle a couple times and see if anything is hanging. Could use a simple carb rebuild, but try oiling first!
My vacuum secondary stuck one time and WD40 freed it right up and has been OK ever since. I carry one of those real small sample cans in the boat tool box.

JimN
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
The easy way to find out if the carb is the culprit is to remove the throttle cable and rev it manually, then move the throttle and see if the cable is sticky. A better test for the cable is to disconnect it from the throttle and see how much effort it takes to move it when it's disconnected from the carb.

The one sticky carb issue was the choke plate staying closed when it was hot and causing hot start issues.

You'll probably need to replace the throttle cable, but by attaching the new cable's carb end to the old cable's throttle end and pulling it toward the motor, it's really not hard to do.

If you use any oil on the cable, use something with teflon. WD-40 has cutting oil in it.

TMCNo1
04-08-2006, 07:18 AM
JimN, thanks for the update and info!

snivesatgt
05-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Well figured out what the issue was....it was actually where it connected to the controls for the throttle. What had happened was the sleave that held the outer part of the cable in one space broke - so it would allow the throttle to open, but had a hard time closing since the ring was broken.

Thanks for all the help figuring out the issues.
Ben