PDA

View Full Version : I kid you not!......

milkmania
04-06-2006, 06:42 PM
wife came home last night saying her check engine engine light came on during her trip home from work.

Got the scanner out, came back with a DTS (diagnostic trouble code) P0420.

I called the local arts store asking to translate that code.

him: "what year truck?"
me: "97, suburban"
him: "who makes suburban?"
me: "that's alright, I'll find it on the internet"

I couldn't believe it:rolleyes:

jrhollow
04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
so what does P0420 mean?

east tx skier
04-06-2006, 06:47 PM
More importantly, which auto parts store hired someone who didn't know who made the suburban?

milkmania
04-06-2006, 06:51 PM
so what does P0420 mean?

depends on who you ask.......lol

some say catalytic converter, some say coil, some say plug wires......

nothing definitive as of yet

how to test cat & o2's
http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/catfailure/

jeverett
04-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Try tightening the gas cap see if that works.

M-Funf
04-06-2006, 08:15 PM
so what does P0420 mean?

I think it means the car's been smokin pot ;)

tex
04-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Flux Capacitor has gone bad.

TMCNo1
04-06-2006, 09:34 PM
The kitty litter in the CATalytic converter box may need changing!

tommcat
04-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Thats a cat code, bank 1 to be specific. 99% probable you need a cat.
i work for Ford so i'm not 100% sure about GM but check with your dealer to see if there is any extended warranty on it. we had 8/80 on cats for awhile.

SKI*MC
04-06-2006, 10:25 PM

I was going to recommend that, PM me if you can't find one, i have a few extra.

milkmania
04-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Thats a cat code, bank 1 to be specific. 99% probable you need a cat.
i work for Ford so i'm not 100% sure about GM but check with your dealer to see if there is any extended warranty on it. we had 8/80 on cats for awhile.

you win the prize:toast:

now, I'm thinking this thing's got two cats, or is that the 98 models?

20 years ago, I coulda told you every part I had under MY car/truck...
now-a-days with the new fangled gadgets they're putting on vehicles I can't tell you what's under there!
and I don't crawl under my vehicles anymore:o

JEREMY79
04-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I think it means the car's been smokin pot ;)
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Danimal
04-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Did I hear 420?? 8p

milkmania
04-06-2006, 10:58 PM
I don't get it:confused:

Danimal
04-06-2006, 11:03 PM
I don't get it:confused:
420 For Dummies (http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14379214&BRD=1697&PAG=461&dept_id=44551&rfi=6)
;) :uglyhamme

milkmania
04-06-2006, 11:08 PM
420 For Dummies (http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14379214&BRD=1697&PAG=461&dept_id=44551&rfi=6)
;) :uglyhamme

oooohhhhhh...........

never touch the stuffhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/joint.gif

Danimal
04-06-2006, 11:16 PM
oooohhhhhh...........

never touch the stuffhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/joint.gif

Me either :cool:

TMCNo1
04-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Milk, as a last resort get a CAT SCAN!

milkmania
04-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Milk, as a last resort get a CAT SCAN!

done deal;)

TMCNo1
04-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Unreal dude, LOL, you be a hard nut to crack!

milkmania
04-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Unreal dude, LOL, you be a hard nut to crack!

are you talking about them actually scanning the catalytic converter?

that'd probably cost more than just replacing the converter:cool:

tommcat
04-07-2006, 08:35 AM

now-a-days with the new fangled gadgets they're putting on vehicles I can't tell you what's under there!
and I don't crawl under my vehicles anymore:oif it has 2 cats then you just need the bank 1 replaced. although bank 2 would probably be close behind.
they still label it bank 1 if it only has one cat.

ski_king
04-07-2006, 08:45 AM
wife came home last night saying her check engine engine light came on during her trip home from work.

Got the scanner out, came back with a DTS (diagnostic trouble code) P0420.

I called the local arts store asking to translate that code.

him: "what year truck?"
me: "97, suburban"
him: "who makes suburban?"
me: "that's alright, I'll find it on the internet"

I couldn't believe it:rolleyes:
Not to defend the guy at the parts store, but in 97, both Chevy and GMC sold the Suburban.
But I am sure the code reads the same for both of them...

It has always been my pet peeve to call on a expert for help and find out they know less than I do, which isn't much.......

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-07-2006, 09:09 AM

GREAT SCOTT MARTY!!!!

tommcat
04-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Not to defend the guy at the parts store, but in 97, both Chevy and GMC sold the Suburban.

It has always been my pet peeve to call on a expert for help and find out they know less than I do, which isn't much.......I'd consider a parts counter guy about as far from being an expert as it gets.

jraben8
04-07-2006, 09:54 AM
GREAT SCOTT MARTY!!!!

1.21 JIGAWATTS!!!! Where am I going to find that much power!?!?!

milkmania
04-07-2006, 10:19 AM

It has always been my pet peeve to call on a expert for help and find out they know less than I do, which isn't much.......

if I had stayed in that conversation, I would have gone with General Motors:D

stumbledog
04-07-2006, 11:19 AM

and I don't crawl under my vehicles anymore:o

Did the light go out after the vehicle had sat awhile?

milkmania
04-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Did the light go out after the vehicle had sat awhile?

I reset the DTC yeasterday morning, and told her to call me when it set again....
she drove to work and drove home......under 30 miles roundtrip

and back this morning

nothing yet

Hoff1
04-07-2006, 11:40 AM
For my Jeep, the P0420 is "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)" - whatever that means.

Anyway, I wouldn't think that Chevy and Jeep/Mopar are sharing code numbers, but I could be wrong.

bcampbe7
04-07-2006, 11:42 AM
For my Jeep, the P0420 is "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)" - whatever that means.

Anyway, I wouldn't think that Chevy and Jeep/Mopar are sharing code numbers, but I could be wrong.

I think alot, if not all, OBDII codes are standard.

http://www.iequus.com/obd_def.asp

JimN
04-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Doug- In my experience, it could be any of the parts stores. Go to a chain parts store and and one of the simplest questions that have been discussed here and see how they answer.

My guess is that the guy was pretty young and is interested in imports.

milkmania
04-07-2006, 11:45 AM
OBDII codes are standard.

cool, thanks..... I was wonderin' because google would send back everything when I just entered that code.... it got a little better when I searched that code + suburban, but not much. and most of what I found was related to bank 1

JimN
04-07-2006, 11:49 AM
If it has dual exhaust, it has two cats. My guess is that Bank One is the side with the #1 cylinder, which is the driver's side.

tommcat
04-07-2006, 11:58 AM
If it has dual exhaust, it has two cats. My guess is that Bank One is the side with the #1 cylinder, which is the driver's side.
Not many vehicle have factory dual exhaust.
and yes on bank one being with cyl #1, which is drivers side on chevy.

you may not see the code or MIL come back for awhile as the cat efficiency drive cycle can take quite awhile to complete.

M-Funf
04-07-2006, 12:22 PM
I think alot, if not all, OBDII codes are standard.

Tru dat.

for what it's worth...the 0420 code on my BMW is also bank 1 cat

ski36short
04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Tru dat.

for what it's worth...the 0420 code on my BMW is also bank 1 cat

OBD codes up to P1000 are SAE standard. P0420 is indeed "Bank 1 catalyst efficiency low", Chevy driver's side, etc., etc. depending on the history of the car (i.e. misfire on bank 1 only), bank 2 may be OK.

TMCNo1
04-07-2006, 02:07 PM
are you talking about them actually scanning the catalytic converter?

that'd probably cost more than just replacing the converter:cool:

MILK????????No, Milk,?????????????? It would be hard to get the vehicle up on the table in the room, unless you drove it through the brick/block wall, then you would have some serious body damage issues. What good is the catalyic converter when the front of the vehicle is tore up back to the windshield. Just take it to UMP's dealership and let the flatnosed retarded kid with the hockey helmet on steal your wife"s ride and drive it to the lab for the CatScan! :eek: :D :eek:

Rockman
04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
The kitty litter in the CATalytic converter box may need changing!

Now THAT is funny!

I'm gonna used that one...but I will give you credit! ;)

dog paw
04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
I did not read all the posts so sorry if I'm repeating someone else. You will need a down pipe they use 2 converters made into the downpipe the drivers side- bank 1 is bad I have seen some hack jobs where people cut them out and put in a jobber but it is just that... a hack job ;)

Here is the diags (if I can hack it to cut and paste) :D

Daym it's a HTML It wont upload.......

Rockman
04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
I just double checked with my GM guy and he confirmed that it is Catalytic Converter Bank 1...so you'll need a new one.

Just thought I'd checked my resources for you. :toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
04-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Just hollow it out......;)

vogelm1
04-10-2006, 04:57 PM
FWIW - I had a similar code on mine (three-way converter efficiency low). I was told that I needed a new catalytic converter(s). I initially believed this since I have 185K miles on my Yukon. Found out it has two of them and you can't just buy one since the pipes are welded together as a unit. After learning the bill for parts was a minimum of $395 I asked around some more. Another mechanic friend asked if once the MIL (check engine light) was reset, did it come on right away. It usually took a long trip, or during a long tow with the boat attached to make it go on again. He says ahhh, sounds more like an oxygen sensor that is 'lazy'. If it was a bad cat converter he said the light should have come back on again fairly quickly...I was driving hundreds of miles between resets. To be safe I replaced both the pre-cat and post-cat oxygen sensors ($60 a piece) and the light hasn't come on since. So I think I saved myself a couple hundred dollars plus had it diagnosed right by my friend who isn't GM mechanic. Hopefully this helps.

tommcat
04-10-2006, 07:27 PM
if you have a slow or "lazy" HEGO sensor you should set a number of other codes long before you set a cat code. the cat efficiency codes are set after a long drive cycle and the PCM sees the downsteam sensors switching. if the downstream HEGOs are switching anything like the upstreams it means the cat is dead. just like if you had a hollow pipe between them.

Datdude
04-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Did you check the rotator splint? Just kidding. My old 1996 Chevy pickup truck had the check engine light on a lot especially after filling up. When I took the truck in, the tech said it was an oxygen sensor code, then asked if I had recently put gas in it. Apparently if you dont click the gas cap three times it can cause the light to come on.

Sodar
04-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Did you check the rotator splint? Just kidding. My old 1996 Chevy pickup truck had the check engine light on a lot especially after filling up. When I took the truck in, the tech said it was an oxygen sensor code, then asked if I had recently put gas in it. Apparently if you dont click the gas cap three times it can cause the light to come on.
Same thing happened to my 1997 Suburban!

tommcat
04-10-2006, 11:08 PM
if the tech told you it was an O2 sensor code and the loose gas cap caused it he lied. a loose fuel cap (or filling it while running) will cause an evap system code, not an 02 code.

milkmania
04-11-2006, 12:33 AM
it hasn't set off the light again all week.....

believe me, she'll let me know when it does:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
04-11-2006, 12:34 AM
if the tech told you it was an O2 sensor code and the loose gas cap caused it he lied. a loose fuel cap (or filling it while running) will cause an evap system code, not an 02 code.
Another reason you want your own scanner for the boat huh.....;)

tommcat
04-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Another reason you want your own scanner for the boat huh.....;)
:D

picked up the LT1 diag manual a few weeks ago, now i just need the scanner. i'm having a helluva time finding an affordable one

Workin' 4 Toys
04-11-2006, 09:37 AM
:D

picked up the LT1 diag manual a few weeks ago, now i just need the scanner. i'm having a helluva time finding an affordable one
It might me cheaper to put a Carb. on it;) and not have to think about it again...:rolleyes:

tommcat
04-11-2006, 10:19 AM
It might me cheaper to put a Carb. on it;) and not have to think about it again...:rolleyes:
Carbs are ok for some things, i prefer electronics though. easier to diagnose as long as i have access to the right equipment.

i get confused when no computers are involved 8p

JimN
04-11-2006, 05:24 PM
It'll never pass emissions with a carb, expecially if they look under the hood and hook it up to the ALDL.

tommcat
04-11-2006, 09:59 PM
jim. i'm curious about the emissions standards for boats. what do they measure for? standard 4 gas or something different from automotive?

JimN
04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
The numbers are higher for boats, but they're looking for the same things- low HC, NOX, CO2. The EPA and CARB (California Air Research Board) are the main governing bodies that post the guidelines although all car/truck motors need to hit the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) figures, too. Will at Chicago MC told me that in 2007 (IIRC) or '08, Indmar will have O2 sensors and catalytic convertors on their motors with injection. Still no intake air temperature sender, though.

tommcat
04-11-2006, 10:16 PM
IAT isnt needed as much as some other sensors and equipment. a MAF would be easy and very effective to put on them (if the new ones arent already using one)
cats and O2s should be interesting in the marine environment. i'll be curious to see how they go about it.

i actually hope they do go hardcore on the emissions. i'll leave the Ford dealership and go work for a marina. the newest technology they come out with will still probably be 10 years behind what i'm working with now. might be a good job opportunity for me

JimN
04-11-2006, 10:29 PM
But, since they aren't using MAF, the IAT would make it possible to be more accurate with the programming. We added one to Will's boat when we were at MC training one year and since he was doing a lot of wakeboarding at the time, he was going through a lot of gas until we installed it and they did the recal.

You probably make more than a marine mechanic does.

ski36short
04-11-2006, 10:35 PM
IAT isnt needed as much as some other sensors and equipment. a MAF would be easy and very effective to put on them (if the new ones arent already using one)
cats and O2s should be interesting in the marine environment. i'll be curious to see how they go about it.

You mean the MCX has a MAF without an IAT?? Pretty critical to know the temperature if you're trying to calculate air mass and therefore fuel delivery. Cats and O2s will definitely be interesting...

i actually hope they do go hardcore on the emissions. i'll leave the Ford dealership and go work for a marina. the newest technology they come out with will still probably be 10 years behind what i'm working with now. might be a good job opportunity for me

Me too. It's got to be coming soon...

JimN
04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Will's boat had a MAP and we added the IAT. As far as I know, they still use MAP sensors.

tommcat
04-12-2006, 08:48 AM
You mean the MCX has a MAF without an IAT?? Pretty critical to know the temperature if you're trying to calculate air mass and therefore fuel delivery. Cats and O2s will definitely be interesting...

Me too. It's got to be coming soon...being new to boats i dont know what the MCX is using.
but mass air, barometric pressure and intake air temp can all be had from a MAF sensor. you do not need a seperate MAF, MAP and IAT although some vehicle still use them. or a combo of them

tommcat
04-12-2006, 12:35 PM
jim, your PM box is full. couldnt respond to your last message

milkmania
04-18-2006, 10:11 PM
well, she came back in tonight and said the DTC light was back on.......for several days:rolleyes:

ran the scan, came up with two DTC's

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

is this the sensors getting bad reading, like the sensors are going out, or is the catalytic converter bad and giving improper reading and setting off the DTC's?

if it's one way, it goes to the dealer, if it's the other way, it goes to the muffler shop.... big difference!

thanks guys:)

tommcat
04-19-2006, 08:46 AM
as i said previously, O2 sensors WILL NOT cause cat codes. you need cats.

it is however a good idea to replace the HEGO sensors when doing the cats because i've found when you remove them it damages them internally and you will end up with O2 codes later on down the road.

milkmania
04-19-2006, 09:17 AM
as i said previously, O2 sensors WILL NOT cause cat codes. you need cats.

it is however a good idea to replace the HEGO sensors when doing the cats because i've found when you remove them it damages them internally and you will end up with O2 codes later on down the road.

noted, thanks

cats & sensors it is:)