PDA

View Full Version : Macs do Windows - Mac Computers run Windows XP

BuoyChaser
04-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Mac has finally done it, they've made an OS (Boot Camp Public Beta) that can run Windows XP or Macintosh OSX on any macintosh computer. Steve Jobs is kicking Bill Gates where it counts for Windows stealing from Apple back in the day!!! All that money we've dumped into buying iPods has paid off.
Scott

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Boot Camp Public Beta - Macs do Windows, too.

More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

As elegant as it gets
Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data, though you will need to bring your own copy to the table, as Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.(1) Boot Camp will burn a CD of all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

Run XP natively
Once youíve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. (Thatís the ďaltĒ key for you longtime Windows users.) After starting up, your Mac runs Windows completely natively. Simply restart to come back to Mac.

east tx skier
04-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I was just reading that. I have a friend that just bought a powerbook or whatever they're called with an intel processor. So far, his only issue has been driver support for a copier/printer in his office.

Sodar
04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
I was just reading that. I have a friend that just bought a powerbook or whatever they're called with an intel processor. So far, his only issue has been driver support for a copier/printer in his office.

LONG LIVE THE APPLE!!

Tom023
04-05-2006, 04:47 PM
I have a Mac G5, bought it primarily for the OSX operating system and Apple programs. I guess for the rare instance I want to run a Windows only program this would be helpful, if I have an Intel based Mac. Other than that, I cannot figure out WHY someone would buy a Mac and then want to run Windows :confused:

BuoyChaser
04-05-2006, 04:50 PM
I have a Mac G5, bought it primarily for the OSX operating system and Apple programs. I guess for the rare instance I want to run a Windows only program this would be helpful, if I have an Intel based Mac. Other than that, I cannot figure out WHY someone would buy a Mac and then want to run Windows :confused:

some of us in the biz world are stuck running PCs with windows, because the software doesn't run easily on the mac...now us graphic/web/techie dudes can do both!!!

BuoyChaser
04-05-2006, 04:51 PM

has he done the basic knowledge base search on apple, they've been really good about helping out...

Tom023
04-05-2006, 05:03 PM
some of us in the biz world are stuck running PCs with windows, because the software doesn't run easily on the mac...now us graphic/web/techie dudes can do both!!!

I've had a PC at work since 1982 because that is what my company supports, I don't have a choice. At home I run the Mac exclusively because I think the OS and software is better. I don't see anything inherently in Apple hardware that makes it any betterso I guess I still don't understand, but that is just me.

BuoyChaser
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
I've had a PC at work since 1982 because that is what my company supports, I don't have a choice. At home I run the Mac exclusively because I think the OS and software is better. I don't see anything inherently in Apple hardware that makes it any betterso I guess I still don't understand, but that is just me.
how many problems do you have with your pc at work???how many problems do you have with your mac at home???

Tom023
04-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Exactly my point, why would anyone want to run Windows on a Mac and have all those problems. It's not in the hardware but the software.

BuoyChaser
04-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Exactly my point, why would anyone want to run Windows on a Mac and have all those problems. It's not in the hardware but the software.
just hate using a pc, doesn't work for anything i'm trying to do...always fighting it...rather be on a mac...so need to convince the boss to make my next computer a mac, laptop to boot...then to get him sold, the dual boot is the key...that way if i have to test WIN software and write training stuff, i can...

east tx skier
04-05-2006, 05:22 PM
has he done the basic knowledge base search on apple, they've been really good about helping out...

I don't know. I just played around on it for a bit over the weekend. He was running the apple os, and I just remember him mentioning it. His law partner is running a mac as well, but has had no problems printing.

Tom023
04-05-2006, 05:23 PM
just hate using a pc, doesn't work for anything i'm trying to do...always fighting it...rather be on a mac...so need to convince the boss to make my next computer a mac, laptop to boot...then to get him sold, the dual boot is the key...that way if i have to test WIN software and write training stuff, i can...

I agree, if I could have a Mac at work I would, just not an option. The only trouble I've had with Mac related applications is that Quicken does not easily go back and forth between the two platforms, and some plug ins for media viewers. I know those in the graphics/design areas run across some programs that are only Windows only. Other than that, they are pretty seemless for my purposes.

It is good they have an option now.

BuoyChaser
04-05-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't know. I just played around on it for a bit over the weekend. He was running the apple os, and I just remember him mentioning it. His law partner is running a mac as well, but has had no problems printing.
he might not be running OSX, which is why he's probably having the problem...apple has worked hard to ensure driver support for almost everything new out there...

east tx skier
04-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Could be. I haven't owned a Mac since the mid 90s and have been sufficiently brainwashed as a result. The one-button laptop mouse was driving me nuts though.

BuoyChaser
04-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Could be. I haven't owned a Mac since the mid 90s and have been sufficiently brainwashed as a result. The one-button laptop mouse was driving me nuts though.need to go to a mac store and check it out...gotta be one somewhere in middle of those cow pastures!!!

they've had two mouse button capability for awhile now, even though they come with TRADITIONAL one-button mouse...

east tx skier
04-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey, this is east Texas. We've just got oil fields and tree farms. Cow pastures are near Ft. Worth. 8p

I may look into one again at some point. They're fine products. When everything I deal with is PC based, it's just easier (and cheaper) to conform. 'Til then, I've got an ipod.

BuoyChaser
05-18-2006, 11:13 PM
parents are looking to pick up a Mac Mini tomorrow, any suggestions???

BuoyChaser
05-19-2006, 03:41 PM
instead picked up the new mac laptop released tuesday, 05/16, called MacBook...replaces the old iBook and such...looks like a screamer for just around $1k...can't wait to play...

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks/macbookfirst/index.php