PDA

View Full Version : Fogging Oil - Brand, Form, & Amount

PeteS
09-27-2004, 02:27 PM
A question to you winterization experts outs there (JimN). What is the reccomended brand and form of fogging oil? I've heard the spray, and I've also heard the liquid.

If spray is reccomended, and I've been seeing the number of 4 oz. bouncing around for the ammount to use, how do you convert that into seconds of spray? Or should I just spray into the carb until it stalls? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Rockman
09-27-2004, 02:31 PM
PeteS,

My situation is different than what you have in question but for the most part, you just want to get enough of the fogging oil into the engine to coat the walls of the block.

We have the Yanaha ProV 200 and we use the spray fogging oil. We usually use the Yamaha brand but have used the Mercury version once or twice. We have never gotten to the point where the motor has totally shut off but stopped spraying the fogging oil in once the engine had alot of blue smoke coming out the back. Then fog for about 10 more seconds.

Biggest thing to make sure you do right on your engine is to get the water out though. Much easier on my end though. :twocents:

I'm sure more replies will come in for inboards though.

JimN
09-27-2004, 03:05 PM
It's hard to convert to time because of viscosity change with change in temperature. I have used a few types but prefer the kind that produces smoke, since some brands don't smoke.

PeteS
09-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Which brands have you found produce smoke? Basically the consenous is, spray until you notice a nice blue smoke, and then spray for another 10 seconds?

Spray right into the carb body? Thanks a million, Rocketman & Jim.

Rockman
09-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Pete,

Not sure how the Inboards are but on the Yamaha, we remove the air filter and spray right into each carb.

Some poeple say spray until the moved dies out but not sure if that is overkill or not.

Again, the I/Os may be different.

lakes Rick
09-27-2004, 09:57 PM
You can bend valves and rods with a liquid if your not careful.. A spray is much better in my opinion....

jimmer2880
09-28-2004, 06:48 AM
I don't think that there is such a thing as too much when you're talking about spray. I spray until the engine almost cuts out (mine will never cut all the way off). Shut her off, then spray a little more. I then also remove each plug, & spray down each cylinder - then re-insert the plugs.

I know it's overkill - but I don't want ANY chance of rust in my cylinders :D

PeteS
09-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Sounds good fellas, thanks for the advice. We're getting close to that dreaded time of year up here in Michigan. Hopefully there will be a few more weekends left! But the afterwork runs are done, due to the fact that it's getting dark quickly. Thanks again!

Michael Epp
09-28-2004, 11:33 PM
I was told today by my dealer that a 4 stroke engine doesn't need fogging. I've asked my dealer to fog my MCX engine anyway. What is the official position from MC, does anyone know?

JimN
09-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Any motor with cast iron cylinders or sleeves needs to be fogged. Cast iron, if left in a wet environment, will rust. Fogging also leaves a film of oil on the valves and valve seats. Since the valves can't all be closed while it sits during the winter, you'll have condensation in the cylinders. Then the water goes to the lowest part of wherever it is, which means that it sits at the place where the rings meet the cylinder walls, causing a rust line that leaves a groove when the rust leaves. If the groove os deep enough, it will damage the ring(s) and you'll lose some compression.

east tx skier
09-29-2004, 03:34 PM
So does anyone want to recommend a brand? Would I be good with Penzoil.

lakes Rick
09-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I like using the Sea Foam product in a spray can.. I have used it in its liquid form and it works OK if you use it carefully..

The Napa stores have it....

Michael Epp
09-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks Jim. I checked my owners manual last night and "fogging" is included as one of the required winterizing steps. The technique they suggest is to spray fogging oil into the intake (moving the flame arrestor out of the way). I'm assuming that's an okay technique. I guess the alternative is to pull the plugs in spray directly into the cylinders. What's your opinion?

east tx skier
09-29-2004, 05:29 PM
I've used the liquid sea foam (never sean the spray version). Didn't realize that that was fogging oil.

east tx skier
09-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Michael, I think the response you'll get from Jim N is "both." In most of his posts, he's recommended spraying it into the throttle body. So my guess is that'd be your first step. Then, if you so desire, remove the plugs and spray it into the cylinders (that's what I plan to do).

I don't know if one is preferable to the other. I'm going to err on the side of more.

JimN
09-29-2004, 07:08 PM
You can spray it in both if you want. The idea is to get it to have a light coating on the cylinders, pistons, rings and valves. That way, the condensation won't rust them. Spraying it into the throttle bodyworks for TBI and MFI. Just remember to spray into both sides on TBO. Ask if the fogging oil you buy will smoke when it burns. If it doesn't, you don't know how well it's getting into the cylinders.

east tx skier
09-30-2004, 10:25 AM
I guess if nobody has any brand ideas by winter, I'll just pi$$ in it! ;)

mgurley
09-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Doug. How bout pouring some of the home brew in there. I now wasting beer is a cardinal sin, however it is a Mastercraft. :friday:

east tx skier
09-30-2004, 10:48 AM
I fear the yeast sediment of what I've got in the bottle might clog things a bit. Of course, the dos equis clone will be in the keg by late November. Hmmm (burp).

lakes Rick
09-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Mgurley, I believe that is what he is going to do after he "rents" it for a while......

east tx skier
09-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Ah, two birds with one stone. Or better yet, 8 cylinders with ... never mind.

nattylightmike
10-01-2004, 12:05 AM
BE CAREFUL!!! Last year I took the plugs out to fog the cylinders and the little red straw that's supposed to help you went right down my #1 cylinder :eek: . I talked to a lot of hot rod guys, that said it had to come out or it would melt and burn my rings up once the plastic hardened. I tried everthing to get that stupid straw out, but I ended up having to pull the head off to remove it. So I would make sure you hold onto the straw while you are spraying. Just my two cents.

east tx skier
10-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Sage advice. Thanks for the tip. Any brand recommendations?

lakes Rick
10-01-2004, 07:31 PM
BE CAREFUL!!! Last year I took the plugs out to fog the cylinders and the little red straw that's supposed to help you went right down my #1 cylinder :eek: . I talked to a lot of hot rod guys, that said it had to come out or it would melt and burn my rings up once the plastic hardened. I tried everthing to get that stupid straw out, but I ended up having to pull the head off to remove it. So I would make sure you hold onto the straw while you are spraying. Just my two cents.

Whoa what a bummer... That had to have pi$$ed you off....

jimmer2880
10-04-2004, 06:26 AM
Dang! That really su(ked dude! I usually don't use a straw - but that's more because I lose the darn thing the second I remove it from the can!

TalleyHo
10-05-2004, 09:36 PM
So, for those of us w/ the MPI engines, do we just spray a considerable amount of fogging oil (minus the straw of course) in each cylinder and hope for the best? Or is there a central location to spray to cover it all?

BriEOD
10-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Wow, that is a fluke, but what a good tip! Thanks.

NeilM
10-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Wow, that is a fluke, but what a good tip! Thanks.
More common than you think.. A buddy of mine did that to his 90hp Merc O/B - same deal - had to take the head off to get the straw out. He figured that winterizing it himself saved about $70, which vanished in an instant when he got the $350 bill to re/re the head, THEN finish winterizing it...

Hey Brian -- you getting any sleep yet?

ktn_cmu
10-06-2004, 08:15 AM
So, for those of us w/ the MPI engines, do we just spray a considerable amount of fogging oil (minus the straw of course) in each cylinder and hope for the best? Or is there a central location to spray to cover it all?

MPI engines still have to get air, therefore they still have a throttle body...just spray it in the throttle body...

Kyle

east tx skier
10-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Still waiting on a brand suggestion. You guys are spraying something in there. Does it have a name?

OhioProstar
10-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Doug,
I use the Sta-Bil fogger that normally sits next to their gas additive in most stores. Works pretty well.

east tx skier
10-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Very good. Thanks Ohio.