PDA

View Full Version : 303 Gelcoat refurbish

LakePirate
04-04-2006, 11:49 PM
I decided to deploy the 303 on the ol' faded gelcoat. It works like a champ. I am beyond impressed. It has worked better than any of the other products that I have tried and is a whole lot easier than the 3 step process from Mcguires. Now I have a question. The 303 provided a nice sheen and is very slick, but I still feel like I need a coat of wax on top of it. By adding the layer of wax will it remove/negate the effects of the 303?

erkoehler
04-04-2006, 11:53 PM
Where's the pics????

LakePirate
04-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Only did a test area. Going to wash the boat prior to doing the whole thing. The test area also provides me an opportunity to see the difference. I will try and get a pic tomorrow so you guys can see the difference.

milkmania
04-05-2006, 12:07 AM
my RED on my boat has never been deeper in color since I've owned it!

edit:
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=380

ski_king
04-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Be sure to wax over it!

BuoyChaser
04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
my RED on my boat has never been deeper in color since I've owned it!
edit:
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=380

claims you don't have to wax:
"303 FOR FIBERGLASS. . .Never buff or wax again!"

LakePirate
04-06-2006, 12:16 AM
claims you don't have to wax:
"303 FOR FIBERGLASS. . .Never buff or wax again!"

Some say wax, 303 says no....what is the call?

Mag_Red
04-06-2006, 06:03 AM
I'll have to give this stuff a go :twocents:

amber 6
04-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Thats what I thought and am I glad I did. Its great and easy to use on gel coat but another bonus was the side windscreens which are plastic and had been a bit grey(poor condition you know what I mean) scratch marks but not after 303 and 2 minutes its clear and GREAT.

ski_king
04-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Some say wax, 303 says no....what is the call?
Wax it, especially if it is near the waterline.

mhobbs01
04-06-2006, 09:33 AM
I have an '84 and I just bought some 303 at West Marine. I can't believe how good it is. I did a little bit yesterday, but I'm going to do the whole boat as soon as it stops raining and I can wash the boat first.

east tx skier
04-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Thats what I thought and am I glad I did. Its great and easy to use on gel coat but another bonus was the side windscreens which are plastic and had been a bit grey(poor condition you know what I mean) scratch marks but not after 303 and 2 minutes its clear and GREAT.

For what it's worth, my owner's manual says not to use anything on the windshield glass other than a damp, soft cloth.

TMCNo1
04-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Meguiers makes a Plexiglas/Lexan cleaner and polish, and its non static, won't draw dust or you can use Meguiers #7 Seal and Reseal Glaze and it's non-static too, it's for removing swirl marks on paint after buffing. Used it on race car windshields made from Lexan and Plexiglas.

east tx skier
04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Whoops. I should've said soap and water. From the 91--93 Pro Star manual ...

MarkP
04-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Whoops. I should've said soap and water. From the 91--93 Pro Star manual ...
But if it was in “poor condition” already, what do you have to loose??? Sounds like it worked.

BTW, IIM, I use only water..

east tx skier
04-06-2006, 12:04 PM
You're right Mark. I'm just glad Harold didn't recommend he wet sand it and pour teak oil on it. ;)

stumbledog
04-06-2006, 12:47 PM
I decided to deploy the 303 on the ol' faded gelcoat. It works like a champ. I am beyond impressed. It has worked better than any of the other products that I have tried and is a whole lot easier than the 3 step process from Mcguires. Now I have a question. The 303 provided a nice sheen and is very slick, but I still feel like I need a coat of wax on top of it. By adding the layer of wax will it remove/negate the effects of the 303?

I used the 3-step process form Mcquires last year. The boat looked great until I put it in the water and dried it off after. The dull hazy look came right back. Is 303 an answer to this problem?

TMCNo1
04-06-2006, 01:25 PM
You're right Mark. I'm just glad Harold didn't recommend he wet sand it and pour teak oil on it. ;)

Ok, Doug, your getting in the GRAY area going there, oh, I forgot the gray goes away with a little clorox. :uglyhamme

LakePirate
04-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I used the 3-step process form Mcquires last year. The boat looked great until I put it in the water and dried it off after. The dull hazy look came right back. Is 303 an answer to this problem?

Did that as well...I hope it is the answer.

Danimal
04-06-2006, 02:20 PM
So... this 303 stuff claims to get rid of the oxidation of my gel-coat without all of the arm busting buffing? It would be awesome to find a product that just sprays on and wipes off.

I must get some of this if it truley works as promised.

ski_king
04-06-2006, 02:38 PM
So... this 303 stuff claims to get rid of the oxidation of my gel-coat without all of the arm busting buffing? It would be awesome to find a product that just sprays on and wipes off.

I must get some of this if it truley works as promised.
I don't think it works quite that way.

I might be wrong, but this is how I think it works.

When you are buffing you are removing a "oxidized" portion of the gel coat that has dried up and looks faded.

What the 303 does is soak into this dried up surface of the gel coat and give it luster again. Problem is the oxidized surface is still open and the sun can bake the moisture (303) back out or if it is in the water it can be washed back out, this is why you need to put a coat of wax over it.

Which is the best solution? Not sure......

Danimal
04-06-2006, 03:03 PM

When you are buffing you are removing a "oxidized" portion of the gel coat that has dried up and looks faded.

What the 303 does is soak into this dried up surface of the gel coat and give it luster again. Problem is the oxidized surface is still open and the sun can bake the moisture (303) back out or if it is in the water it can be washed back out, this is why you need to put a coat of wax over it.

Thanks ski_king. I knew it was most likely too good to be true.

Holtrodj
04-06-2006, 10:00 PM

Why don't you need to put some type of protectant / wax on your interior then? The way I read their explaination, the theory behind this stuff on gelcoat is the same as vinyl... Both porus plastic based materials. I guess I don't get it.

jeverett
04-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Why don't you need to put some type of protectant / wax on your interior then? The way I read their explaination, the theory behind this stuff on gelcoat is the same as vinyl... Both porus plastic based materials. I guess I don't get it.

303 is a water based silicone emulsion that will wash right off when it get's wet. The wax that Ski King is talking about will seal the 303 into the pours of the gel coat and help it last longer. Vinyl like what is in your boat is coated and has a lot more chamicals that will leach out eventually causing it to dry out.

The 303 is not removing the oxidation it is merely covering it up or masking it, and providing a sacraficial surface that the sun can destroy, instead of your gel coat.

Funny thing about 303. They used to claim that it had no silicone in it untill I ran a test on it and pointed out to them that it sure did. The last bottle that I looked at didn't have that claim on it anymore :)

Jorski
04-07-2006, 10:07 AM
One further note:

If you coat the boat with 303, there is no way that the wax will adhere as well as it would have without it. (due to the silicone)

Analogy: used car dealers have been known to spray WD-40 on scratches. Makes them disappear into the clearcoat. No one would say that was the same as repairing the scratch.

Hoff1
04-07-2006, 10:31 AM
We can solve this dilemma by using someone's boat. The transom would be a great place to use.

Someone volunteer that has mild to severe oxidation on their transom (your name can be kept anonymous). Treat the entire surface of the transom with 303 per the directions, but only coat half of it with wax. Provide pictures right after the coat and then weekly from there. Would be a great way to determine if wax is needed or provides any benefit over time. Then, it will be up to Teamtalk to determine which side is waxed and which is not. I'll choose Coke over Pepsi any day.

Kevin 89MC
04-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Hoff1, that's a good idea. As anyone can see from my recent pic in the ProStar thread, my boat has some pretty serious oxidation. Last fall I cleaned it really well, but have not waxed it yet (it was getting too cold). I haven't figured out exactly what to do this spring, because I really don't have the time to sand & buff like I want to (hopefully in a few years I will). I've been thinking about trying 303, or just waxing for now to prevent more oxidation. I think Jorski is right, the wax won't hold over the 303. Maybe I'll try a few different options this summer. Sadly I'll probably be very busy with non-ski things so I might not have too much time to spend on it, but I may do some experimenting, and will definitely post pics of the process.

Hoff1
04-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Kevin,
thanks for volunteering. I'll probably try a test as well. Did something similar on my platform last year to prove some to myself, tried a half and half approach. Should fairly obvious after about a month if there will be any noticeable difference between the wax on, wax off.

88 PS190
04-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Mine can be put to the test in may.

Hoff1
04-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Sure is nice for a company that makes products like 303 to have such a large test base. Laboratory a la Teamtalk

X-45
04-07-2006, 01:03 PM
With my last boat I used polish two time a year untill the oxidation was gone. Then I used it only in the fall and wax in the spring. The polish will leave a uv protective shine.
:twocents:

ski_king
04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I accidently did this test last year. I 303'd and waxed one side of my boat while it was still in the garage. The other side was too close to the wall to get and I figured I would get the other side once I pulled it outside.

I got the second side 303'd but got a chance to go skiing before I got the wax on. You could see the difference in the 2 sides.

Sorry, I don't have photos.

Kevin 89MC
04-07-2006, 01:38 PM
So the wax held over the 303 all season? Cool . . .

Holtrodj
04-07-2006, 06:09 PM
I accidently did this test last year. I 303'd and waxed one side of my boat while it was still in the garage. The other side was too close to the wall to get and I figured I would get the other side once I pulled it outside.

I got the second side 303'd but got a chance to go skiing before I got the wax on. You could see the difference in the 2 sides.

Great to know. Thanks Ski King...

jrcarte78
04-18-2006, 05:07 PM
I tried the 303 method. It did not work as well as I had hoped. My boat's oxidation may have surpassed what even 303 can take out though.

I tried the 3M product that combines both rubbing compound and wax. This worked great for me. I even used it on the oxidized dash and it worked great. Both the hull and the dash look like they just rolled off the show room floor. I have had the boat in the water since and it still looks like I just polished it. I will probably use the same stuff again in a couple of months to remove any oxidation that I missed the first time or that I get over the next couple of months. After that, hopefully a good waxing once a year will prevent any further oxidation from occurring.

I would definitely recommend the 3M to anybody who's trying to get rid of oxidation in their hull. The best part is that it's not hard to get and it's cheap. I picked it up at Wal Mart for about $5.

jsonova99
04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
I tried the 303 method. It did not work as well as I had hoped. My boat's oxidation may have surpassed what even 303 can take out though.

I tried the 3M product that combines both rubbing compound and wax. This worked great for me. I even used it on the oxidized dash and it worked great. Both the hull and the dash look like they just rolled off the show room floor. I have had the boat in the water since and it still looks like I just polished it. I will probably use the same stuff again in a couple of months to remove any oxidation that I missed the first time or that I get over the next couple of months. After that, hopefully a good waxing once a year will prevent any further oxidation from occurring.

I would definitely recommend the 3M to anybody who's trying to get rid of oxidation in their hull. The best part is that it's not hard to get and it's cheap. I picked it up at Wal Mart for about $5.

I use this stuff, it's pretty good. None of these products is a permanent fix for faded gel coat though, atleast not in my experience. :twocents:

BuoyChaser
04-18-2006, 08:35 PM

would love to see some photos...

Kevin 89MC
04-19-2006, 04:23 PM

Cool - sounds great. Any pics??

TMCNo1
05-01-2006, 12:17 PM
I just found out our local ACE Hardware carries 303 products! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It don't get any better than that. ACE is the PLACE!

BuoyChaser
05-01-2006, 12:23 PM

you indicated you could see the difference, but which side was better the wax or 303???

jake
05-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Anyone see this on the 303 web site? Just bought a lake place, now the boat will be living on a lift so the platform will be getting a lot of exposure. Wondering if I should try this, has anyone else done it?
303 marine applicatoins on wood (http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=424)

BuoyChaser
05-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Anyone see this on the 303 web site? Just bought a lake place, now the boat will be living on a lift so the platform will be getting a lot of exposure. Wondering if I should try this, has anyone else done it?
303 marine applicatoins on wood (http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=424)
makes sense but still can't replace oil, just protects teak/oil...

helton333
05-15-2006, 02:20 PM
I waxed my red ps over the 303. SPrayed 303 liberally, lightly smeared it and left it wet for about an hour. I came back over it with 2 clothes to remove residue. Finally, I applied a fairly expensive liquid wax. It took at little of the deep, wet looking red out. I think you can do it without waxing, it just isn't going to stay on for long.

helton333
05-15-2006, 02:22 PM
I have my boat on a platform, exposed as well. About once a month I soak it in teak, the let a town hang over it while I am gone. This works very well. Gets plenty of air to breath and the towel helps the board stay saturated in oil

TMCNo1
05-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes, I'm crazy, but Saturday I shined my dress-up loafers with 303. I was pimpin'!

BuoyChaser
05-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I waxed my red ps over the 303. SPrayed 303 liberally, lightly smeared it and left it wet for about an hour. I came back over it with 2 clothes to remove residue. Finally, I applied a fairly expensive liquid wax. It took at little of the deep, wet looking red out. I think you can do it without waxing, it just isn't going to stay on for long.
any pics of before/after???

vegashomeexpert
05-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Yes, I'm crazy, but Saturday I shined my dress-up loafers with 303. I was pimpin'!
Unless you provide pics.....

TMCNo1
05-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Unless you provide pics.....

I'm not going there! :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme I don't think anyone wants to see my Sunday-Go-Meetin' brogans all pimped up!

Hoosier Bob
05-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Anybody use it on perfect boat finishes? I want to keep my boat looking great and am already sick of you guys promoting this stuff! I am off to buy but as a preservative!
Thanks all! :D

TonyB
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
I soak it in teak, the let a town hang over it while I am gone.

?
{scratches head}

Mi.mc
05-20-2006, 10:43 PM
how much does a regular sized container of 303 cost? it sounds like it would solve the main problem my boat has. (fading)

BuoyChaser
05-20-2006, 11:36 PM
how much does a regular sized container of 303 cost? it sounds like it would solve the main problem my boat has. (fading)
post a pic of your fading, best to use a color restorer from mcguiars or 3m to bring the color back...then use polish to smooth out the color, then wax her up then 303 her...or 303 her then wax her then 303 her...

Kevin 89MC
05-22-2006, 02:14 PM
FWIW, I tried 303 on a faded spot on the side of my boat. After 3 applications it looked great. Finally got the boat in the water for some skiing, and the fading came right back. The 303 probably got washed right off. I'll try rubbing compound next. I already have the before pics, I'll be sure to take some after as well.

Brian
05-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I tried it too. put it on before 10 days of rain. this week checked it out...303 seems gone. applied more...plus coat of wax...seems fine. i noticed that the liquid wax seperated over the 303. when it dried and rubbed off it looked fine though. we'll see how long it lasts.

boats an '85 so its a bit rough anyway. gives a great ride...thats all that matters. ;)

Davo
05-25-2006, 10:19 AM
303 is a water based silicone emulsion that will wash right off when it get's wet. The wax that Ski King is talking about will seal the 303 into the pours of the gel coat and help it last longer.
The 303 is not removing the oxidation it is merely covering it up or masking it, and providing a sacraficial surface that the sun can destroy, instead of your gel coat.

This is true. I have a slight oxidation near the waterline on the side of my boat that gets hit with the sun while sitting and the 303 hides it, protects it from further damage, but it comes off when in the water. You'd have to put it each time you take the boat out of the water. If your gel coat was in good condition and you hit it with 303 after each trip out - I'm convinced it could look new forever.

As far as using 303 and wax - It doesn't seem like putting wax over the 303 would work very well. I would prefer using the wax and then the 303 after a couple weeks or so to add protection. I'm actually polishing and waxing my boat this Saturday and like someone else mentioned the 3M products work great.

JohnE
06-04-2006, 08:59 AM
OK, so I was reading through firts 2 pages of the thread and was so impressed by comments that I followed link to 303 and ordered a gallon of the protectant. I then finish the thread and am a little disappointed to find out that 303 washes off after 1 use.

Am I corrrect in thinking that if you do not have oxidation, you should keep boat waxed and apply 303 over wax before every use and everything stays great?

303 says not to use over wax, but I'm thinking that's because wax would keep product from getting to oxidized surface.

I've been registered here for a while, but this is my first post. I've read hundreds of posts, though, and want to say thanks to all for all the great info I've learned.

I bought an '88 Tristar 190 w/ 400 hours in January and took it out last weekend and it ran great. It's in really good shape, but I want to really buff and shine it now.

John