PDA

View Full Version : How to soak your passengers??

firstmc
04-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Someone once told me in the MC boats there is a way to soak the passengers in the back seat on purpose.. have no idea how or if this is even true...Just curious if the guy at the marina knew what the heck he was tlaking about.

erkoehler
04-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Power turn :D

6ballsisall
04-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Otherwise known as a Bat Turn. Be careful when doing them, while fun, they are hard on the boat and can be dangerous for the riders.

Datdude
04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
I had 3 unsuspecting friends on the back seat of my boat last Summer and executed a perfect turn that resulted in a 3' wall of water soaking them :D . I am not sure what I did to create the perfect wall of water as I have been unable to duplicate it after that day? Drive in a straight line at about 30 mph, start a right hand turn, then go hard left while putting the boat in neutral and the back of the boat will spin around. Apparently putting the boat back in gear at the end of the turn will keep water from rushing past the exhaust flaps and into the engine. When kept to a minimum, it can be a fun way to surprise your (seated) guests in the back seat! :D

BigBarney
04-04-2006, 05:19 PM
I just drink a six pack and pee on them. They don't mind because it is warm and they're usually toasted.

Ryan
04-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't do a bat turn with passengers in the back. Maybe because I've only done it a few times with just me in it, and the back end was nice and light.

If you have my hull (93...aka 91-94) all you really need is a decent wind/breeze. I soaked my in-laws (I really do like them) by lining up the side spray into a gust. It gets those sitting in back like crazy.

X-45
04-04-2006, 05:20 PM
I'll just nose into rollers and flood the front. Had friend with a moomba boomerang that would send a wall of water up over the windshield onto the rear passengers.

:uglyhamme

east tx skier
04-04-2006, 05:54 PM
With the older hulls (probably through the mid 90s), all you have to do is get it going about 25+ mph and cut the throttle as you let the wheel spin to the right.

I would not do this without a warning to hang on though. Yes, you can get a nice wall of water across the transom from the side. But you could easily throw someone out of the boat if you're not careful.

firstmc
04-04-2006, 06:22 PM
it a 98 PS190... Ive buried the nose a few times on accident... but couldnt do on purpose if i tried

rodltg2
04-04-2006, 06:31 PM
it a 98 PS190... Ive buried the nose a few times on accident... but couldnt do on purpose if i tried

a 98 huh ? maybe you should refrain from bat turns... :D

BriEOD
04-04-2006, 06:33 PM
a 98 huh ? maybe you should refrain from bat turns... :D
Don't poke the bear Rod!! :uglyhamme

milkmania
04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
yeah, it can be done.....

http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/batpic.jpg

Farmer Ted
04-04-2006, 06:39 PM

How's the new job Agent?

east tx skier
04-04-2006, 07:18 PM

Or as Hank Hill would say, "You're messin' with the gorilla in the monkey cage."

jimmer2880
04-04-2006, 07:57 PM
I have a couple friends who have been thrown out doing them. That doesn't mean that I won't, but I do warn everyone first.

ilikeitglacy
04-04-2006, 08:13 PM
i got thrown out of the boat and it was not funny. When my buddy did the power turn i was on the back seat with my dog and at the end of the turn my dog was already flying in my direction :eek: , hit me at shoulder hight with force :mad: , enough to throw me out as the dog followed in the water. my buddy still thinks it was funny :cool:

River Rat
04-04-2006, 08:17 PM
I'll just nose into rollers and flood the front. Had friend with a moomba boomerang that would send a wall of water up over the windshield onto the rear passengers.

:uglyhamme
When we go out with friends the girls will sit in the front so it works out so those that wont get wet do get wet. :steering: in my boat it's easy to drown those sitting in front :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
After signing waivers in 1989 @ Cypress Gardens,Fla and riding in the boats during the 2:00 ski show, we were invited to learn some show driving maneuvers by Russ Daley [Senior Driver] and Eddie Skiddingruud {Youngest driver ever @ the Gardens] with us driving our boats during their practice session.
A Power Turn [Bat Turn] is executed the following way:
In a straight line WOT, hopefully somewhat smooth water @ approx 44mph, grab the right bottom of the steering wheel @ about 4 o'clock firmly with your left hand under the steering wheel, when you fell ready turn the sterring wheel hard right as far as you can. The boat will turn suddenly and hard and when the hull is 90 deg. around pull the throttle into neutral and still hold the steering wheel firm. At 180 deg around with no throttle the hull will stop violently and start backing up and settle into the water. Normally with a WOT power turn when at 180 deg. around the transom will want to rise out of the water and the bow will go underwater and when the hull settles level you will have about 20 gallons of water on the bow where it went under and it WILL come back over the windshield onto the driver and observer unless you are up standing waving at the crowd. They stressed that there should NEVER be anyone in the back seat, as they can be thrown out of the rear seat, and bones can be broken if a passenger or passengers are sitting anywhere in the rear seat.
Also read your owners manual where it states doing high speed maneuvers such as this will VOID your warranty!
The newer hulls, newer than 1991 with the rear of the hull having considerably more of a "V" compared to the older boats this maneuver cannot be performed as successfully because the rear of the hull won't slide across the water with the "V", the lifting stakes and the reverse chines.
BEWARE, DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT PROPER INSTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rodltg2
04-04-2006, 08:40 PM
i got thrown out of the boat and it was not funny. When my buddy did the power turn i was on the back seat with my dog and at the end of the turn my dog was already flying in my direction :eek: , hit me at shoulder hight with force :mad: , enough to throw me out as the dog followed in the water. my buddy still thinks it was funny :cool:

you got to admit it sounds kind of funny

DrNautica
04-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I do this all the time! '89 Tristar Closed Bow. It is a hoot and I have never even come close to throwing anyone out of the back seat. I always give warning for them to hold on, but they still don't know they're gonna get wet.

Done properly, with all the "stars" aligned, I'd say you get about a 3' wall of water across the back seat from the right side over the gunnel. The cool thing is the delay from the time the boat stops sliding and settles until the wall of water comes crashing over the gunnel. It's a hoot. :dance:

ilikeitglacy
04-04-2006, 08:48 PM
you got to admit it sounds kind of funny
well it's funnyer when you know i was dressed up and ready to leave... :D

AirJunky
04-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Just drag your hand or foot in the water while the boat is doing more than about 20 mph. Anyone sitting on the same side of the boat in the back seat is going to get it in the face!

gene dobies
04-05-2006, 07:40 AM
I just drink a six pack and pee on them. They don't mind because it is warm and they're usually toasted.

Not funny at all

Datdude
04-05-2006, 03:59 PM

LMAO

It's nasty to think about that, but for some reason I can't stop laughing

Kevin 89MC
04-06-2006, 03:22 PM
After signing waivers in 1989 @ Cypress Gardens,Fla and riding in the boats during the 2:00 ski show, we were invited to learn some show driving maneuvers by Russ Daley [Senior Driver] and Eddie Skiddingruud {Youngest driver ever @ the Gardens] with us driving our boats during their practice session.
A Power Turn [Bat Turn] is executed the following way:
In a straight line WOT, hopefully somewhat smooth water @ approx 44mph, grab the right bottom of the steering wheel @ about 4 o'clock firmly with your left hand under the steering wheel, when you fell ready turn the sterring wheel hard right as far as you can. The boat will turn suddenly and hard and when the hull is 90 deg. around pull the throttle into neutral and still hold the steering wheel firm. At 180 deg around with no throttle the hull will stop violently and start backing up and settle into the water. Normally with a WOT power turn when at 180 deg. around the transom will want to rise out of the water and the bow will go underwater and when the hull settles level you will have about 20 gallons of water on the bow where it went under and it WILL come back over the windshield onto the driver and observer unless you are up standing waving at the crowd. They stressed that there should NEVER be anyone in the back seat, as they can be thrown out of the rear seat, and bones can be broken if a passenger or passengers are sitting anywhere in the rear seat.
Also read your owners manual where it states doing high speed maneuvers such as this will VOID your warranty!
The newer hulls, newer than 1991 with the rear of the hull having considerably more of a "V" compared to the older boats this maneuver cannot be performed as successfully because the rear of the hull won't slide across the water with the "V", the lifting stakes and the reverse chines.
BEWARE, DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT PROPER INSTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, that is essentially how it was explained to us. We had some very good drivers at our ski club that could perform great power turns in my generation of ProStars. When we got our '89 in about '97, they said "cool, you can do power turns! The newer ones can't." My sister, who had been driving the show boats a lot, learned how to do them. She pulled off a perfect one in ours the first time, and that was enough for us. It's a pretty violent maneuver. I tried a few times, but never really cranked it hard enough to get the full effect. I was always afraid of breaking the boat or myself! I still get a rush out of turning as hard as I can at full speed - probably a bit easier on the boat, and still a thrill for the passengers. :eek3:

JEREMY79
04-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Just buy an old S&S and idol around. Eventually you will take one over the windshield.

94PS190
04-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I was thrown out of a moomba during a bat turn. Very scary! F@#&$&g Moomba's

OhioProstar
04-06-2006, 04:48 PM
A friend of mine took two girls out for a quick boat ride before a they were heading out for a date. He ended up putting a '79 Ski Nautique into a power slide and threw them out of the boat. Both were un-hurt but VERY mad. I can still see their faces to this day standing there at the dock wet with makeup running down from their eyes and their hair hanging at odd angles. Needless to say, I don't power slide unless I let everyone know.

pilot02
04-07-2006, 09:07 AM
You can soak the back seat passengers without doing a bat turn in a tristar if the boat's loaded fairly well and you drop the boat to idle from about 12 mph in a straight line. Then you can turn, and punch the bow through the rollers to soak the people in front as well.

LakePirate
04-07-2006, 09:15 AM
You can soak the back seat passengers without doing a bat turn in a tristar if the boat's loaded fairly well and you drop the boat to idle from about 12 mph in a straight line. Then you can turn, and punch the bow through the rollers to soak the people in front as well.

Dang Grif you beat me to it.

In the ol' Tristar all you have to do is cut the throttle from 35 to nothing and the back seat passengers get whacked from behind.