PDA

View Full Version : Beat up from slalom?

Davo
04-04-2006, 04:12 PM
What the heck?

I just started slaloming again and I must have laid down some pretty good turns last Sunday because the outside of my right calf feels like I got kicked by a mule...?

On top of that, the inside of my left hand is bruised from the handle (I even had gloves on) and my back feels like I did about 1,000 bent rows.

I feel like I got beat up and I only did four passes. I'm obviuosly in no shape to be slalom skiing like that. :noface:

jraben8
04-04-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry your sore but at least you skied...

Davo
04-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Yeah, sorry if my post comes off as complaining...I guess I'm looking for some tips on what I can do to prevent these things. Ski more? :D

I'm trying to do it more often because it felt great. I guess I need to get the right gear - I've just been using a friend's equipment and he's no Andy Mapple. :uglyhamme

TNH2oSkier
04-04-2006, 11:39 PM
When my back is sore, especially lower back its because my hips are not up, and my shoulders are not back. Your back takes all the hit, and your not in the strong pulling position.

stevo137
04-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Try my rolling pin treatment as suggestion as posted in Tex's soreness thread... :D

Davo
04-05-2006, 12:06 PM
When my back is sore, especially lower back its because my hips are not up, and my shoulders are not back. Your back takes all the hit, and your not in the strong pulling position.

Thanks for that...my lower back actually feels alright. I even hurt it a couple weeks ago doing a double up on the wakeboard, so surprisingly enough it didn't bother me. My upper back and arm muscles are stretched out good and the side of my lower right leg is really sore. Do you guys were a leg protector or something when you ski? My hand feels better today, but damn - I had good gloves on...or so I thought.

Anyways, the conditions were real good and I felt like I had pretty good form for the most part. I'm left foot forward on the ski and my left side turns were not as consistent as my right. At one point I was concentrating on keeping the handle lower in the turn in an effort to reduce the little bit of slack I was occasionaly getting when I came out of a turn. Keeping the handle low seemed to help a little.

I was also trying to not lean too far back in the turn and stay over the ski. I've seen pics on here and guys seem to be way over the front of the ski coming out of a turn. So, handle position and body position are the two things I'm wondering about the most.

M-Funf
04-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Left foot forward? Maybe your cutting really good and the spray off the ski is hitting you calf? Happens to me and early in the season I get a bruise on my right calf...

Davo
04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks....yeah, left foot forward. That is most likely the cause. I only fell once and it wasn't that hard so I dont' think it was from that.

I guess I'll toughen up as the season progresses. This was from just free skiing so I'm itching to try a course. I know a few o' dem buoy chaser types. ;)

88 PS190
04-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Get a second pair of gloves and layer, it adds some padding, which will help the bruising.

I also like tape esp. early season, later on your hands get tougher and won't have the same issue.

Could be spray on the calf too, i get it on my left leg because i'm right foot forwards and it normally hurts the outside of your calf, i get it worst on ski lakes because of the sharp turns at the end, your ski gets going slow and you sink a bit, really wrecks up the leg.

If that is what's getting it, you can either tape (duct tape works pretty well, but have some baby oil around to help get it off) or you can cut the leg off an old long wetsuit, or buy one of the neoprene things for it.

Cold dense water hurts.

Kevin 89MC
04-05-2006, 04:06 PM
There was a discussion about "leg spray guards" awhile ago. I seem to remember it ending along the lines of "tough it out or wear a guard if you're a sally" (no offense intended to readers named Sally). Course skiing, calm water and cold water do beat up my leg more than freeskiing in the summer with a bit of chop. Personally I like my Overton's spray guard! :D

WTRSK1R
04-05-2006, 04:26 PM
My leg will actually get Black and Blue with a bruise early in the season, and then I get a burn like peel on my leg. I actually had my doctor ask what I burned my leg on when I went in for something else and happened to be wearing shorts. By a month into the season it is no longer is even noticeable to me. I would say just keep it up and it will get less bothersome. :headbang:

BrianM
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
There was a discussion about "leg spray guards" awhile ago. I seem to remember it ending along the lines of "tough it out or wear a guard if you're a sally"

Yep, just suck it up! Spray leg goes away after the first few times out.

Davo
04-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Ohhhh, so I gots "spray leg". I guess I better get out and ski more or quit whining.

Hopefully, the hand bruise will go away too. I mean, damn, I had gloves on and to have to use two pair or tape seems crazy. I can wakeboard all day and not get blisters or bruised hands, but four passes on the ski and it feels like I b1tch slapped C-3PO. :D

88 PS190
04-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Hey, i tape and wear a pair of those yellow underliners for the first part of the season.

go several sets in one day, a few days in a row, and you'll have ruined hands, even w/ the layers.