PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel drive or not

richardsoncd
04-04-2006, 11:55 AM
I posted a poll earlier about what kind of tow vehicle...now do any of you pull without 4 wheel drive. My question would be when your rear tires get in the water. My girlfriends Dad wants to give me a great deal on his Grand Cherokee Limited, but it isn't 4 wheel drive, which kind of scares me.

vegashomeexpert
04-04-2006, 11:58 AM
I posted a poll earlier about what kind of tow vehicle...now do any of you pull without 4 wheel drive. My question would be when your rear tires get in the water. My girlfriends Dad wants to give me a great deal on his Grand Cherokee Limited, but it isn't 4 wheel drive, which kind of scares me.
I pull about 1/2 the time with a 2wd f150 supercrew. Now slippage but it has positraction (or whatever they call it now). If I am going to a different place or concerned about ramp conditions we do use the 4wd expedition.

kalanic
04-04-2006, 12:02 PM
I haven't had any problems with my 2wd Silverado. 4wd would be nice for piece of mind but I haven't needed it yet.

Byrdman
04-04-2006, 12:06 PM
I all comes down to the ramp you use. I personally wont own a truck without 4wd. It does cost more, but you get that back when you sell it. Plus living in the "Redneck Riveria" just would not do with out a 4wd truck. It would be almost as un-American as not owning a gun....

jsonova99
04-04-2006, 12:08 PM
I use 4wd, but it's a Land Rover so it is in full time 4 high and adjusts by itself as needed. I can say that I have never experienced any slippage on any ramp that I have been on though. I have seen people have problems at a few of the ramps we use though with 2wd trucks, even sliding backwards as they are spinning the wheels.

jrhollow
I use my Yukon to pull an X-2 on a single axle trailer out of the water and have never put in 4x4.

richardsoncd
I all comes down to the ramp you use. I personally wont own a truck without 4wd. It does cost more, but you get that back when you sell it. Plus living in the "Redneck Riveria" just would not do with out a 4wd truck. It would be almost as un-American as not owning a gun....

If I did buy this, it would be the first 2WD I have owned :eek: , but it is a great deal and my Silverado has over 100K and guzzles gas

east tx skier
04-04-2006, 12:17 PM

I agree with the fact that it depends on what ramps you use. We have 3 boats in our family. I pull with a Ford 2WD. My father-in-law pulls with a Chevy 2WD. My brother in law pulls with a Jeep GC(XJ) 2WD. We've not encountered a ramp that presented us with any problems from Austin to deep east Texas. Could we just be lucky?? It is a possibility.

richardsoncd
04-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I agree with the fact that it depends on what ramps you use. We have 3 boats in our family. I pull with a Ford 2WD. My father-in-law pulls with a Chevy 2WD. My brother in law pulls with a Jeep GC(XJ) 2WD. We've not encountered a ramp that presented us with any problems from Austin to deep east Texas. Could we just be lucky?? It is a possibility.
There's the man I was waiting to hear from....

M-Funf
04-04-2006, 12:20 PM
I agree with what others have said...it depends on the ramp.

My old Jeep was part time 4WD (command trac). I always left it in 2WD for normal towing, and only put it in 4WD if I needed it on the ramp. How many times did I "need" it to get the boat out? Maybe twice. But that's two times that I was VERY glad I had it...

maristarman
04-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Agree with the comments about the type of ramps being a factor.

Another factor is the boat you are hauling.

I wouldn't try to launch an x-30 on a steep/wet ramp with a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

But a 79 S&S is considerably lighter.......

richardsoncd
04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I agree with what others have said...it depends on the ramp.

My old Jeep was part time 4WD (command trac). I always left it in 2WD for normal towing, and only put it in 4WD if I needed it on the ramp. How many times did I "need" it to get the boat out? Maybe twice. But that's two times that I was VERY glad I had it...

This is my fear....I always use 4WD now, I think I am going to stick with 4WD, it's not a great deal if the boat is floating on top of the jeep that just slid into the lake.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-04-2006, 12:42 PM
This is coming from a man that has lived in the U.P. of michigan all of his life. I really dont think 4x4 is necessary. I get around all winter with my 4x4 and I rarely put it into 4x4. I have a limited slip rear diff, and thats all I need. Sometimes I even think about getting a 2WD for my next truck living in the frozen tundra. As far as trailering the boat, I dont need 4x4 for that. I get by with 2WD all season. one ramp in particular is pretty steep, and I do fine with that. :twocents:

BrianM
04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
My truck is a 2wd but it has the limited slip rear end. The ramp at our lake is STEEP and not that great. Trailer kind of drops into a hole. I don't have any problems even if the ramp is wet from an afternoon thunderstorm.

rabooze
04-04-2006, 01:18 PM
I used to have an '03 Tahoe and never used the 4WD to get my tandem axle trailer and PS209 out of the water at a variety of ramps. Now I ahve an '06 Denali and it is full time 4wd, and no problems there either. I think unless you have a rear wheel drive car and the ramp in green slime sludge, you should not ever have a problem. You can also use the boat to push you out of the water, just got to remember to shut it off when the prop comes out!!! :friday:

jraben8
04-04-2006, 01:21 PM
I haven't needed 4WD with either of my MC's but have used it considerably pulling an airboat for duck hunting. The ramps aren't steep at all but about 3 feet in the concrete ends and it's sand and silt.

I've also pulled out some trucks (2 and 4wd that couldn't get out with their boats)

ski36short
04-04-2006, 01:43 PM
This is coming from a man that has lived in the U.P. of michigan all of his life. I really dont think 4x4 is necessary. I get around all winter with my 4x4 and I rarely put it into 4x4. I have a limited slip rear diff, and thats all I need. Sometimes I even think about getting a 2WD for my next truck living in the frozen tundra. As far as trailering the boat, I dont need 4x4 for that. I get by with 2WD all season. one ramp in particular is pretty steep, and I do fine with that. :twocents:

Come on UMP we know that if it's bad enough to be in 4wd, yoopers are on sleds anyway...

prostar190
04-04-2006, 02:18 PM
I pull with a Chevy Suburban and have never had traction problems. I do like locking out in Low 4 WD on steep ramps to transfer the load to the transfer case instead of the transmission. Just a long term precaution.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Come on UMP we know that if it's bad enough to be in 4wd, yoopers are on sleds anyway...

Or on snowshoe! :D

redmike
04-04-2006, 02:41 PM
4X dodge cummmins-never had to lock the hubs in, but have put it in lo range for ease at one really cruddy ramp...

Ric
04-04-2006, 02:53 PM
4x4 without a doubt, always, no questions asked. I don't like big lifted 4x's anymore but I do like knowing that there is no doubt where I can go and come back from.
okay I cannot justify it for you or anyone else but it's all I've driven for the last 14 years and will continue for the forseeable future. It's just not that much more of an expense in the long run.
AND, maybe, just maybe I will draw a 3rd season hunt in CO this year on which I will finially need 4x4 again!!

Footin
04-04-2006, 02:57 PM
I use 4 low on the the Trailblazer even though I don't need to. I figure we paid for 4 wheel drive so if it's easier on the car long term I will use it.

Plus it's a good idea to use your 4wd every once in a while to keep the seals lubed and the oils flowin.

prostar190
04-04-2006, 03:34 PM
What ever you do decide, Make sure you get locking diffs.

jimmer2880
04-04-2006, 08:38 PM
I used to pull my 9,000 lb dock out with my F250 in 2wd (it was 4wd, but never needed it on the ramp), granny gear. However, now I need my current vehicles in 4wd for the dock. But - the boat never requires 4wd as long as you're easy on the gas coming out of the hole.

X-45
04-04-2006, 08:49 PM
I get 4x4 just in case I need it and the resale value is better. :D

:firejump:

flipper
04-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I have 4WD, but have never had to use it to get the boat out. Take that back, one time we took the boat out on a beach on the side of the road in the CA Delta, but as far as launch ramps, never had to use it.

Byrdman
04-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I have seen a 2wd truck almost get dragged into the water. It was on the west coast of FL, I think it was in Sarasota. Anyway, he was trying to pull a boat too big for his Ford Bronco II (2wd) and the ramp had a lot of green slime on it. Lucky for him, someone in a full size 4wd truck tied a strap to the front of his truck and pulled him out. I always put my truck in 4wd when I put the boat in and pull it out. Not that I really need it, but it is good for your 4wd system to put it in every once in a while.

mbradey
04-05-2006, 10:35 AM
2 WD should be fine as I have pulled my PS190 out with an Intrepid fwd vehicle on a steep ramp. The car would just spin it's tires in the gravel so I started up the boat and pushed the car out. So even if you encountered a steep ram and had wheel spinage there's an easy solution.

ski_king
04-05-2006, 11:59 AM
My ramp is rather steep. It is concrete but frequently gets some river gravel washed up on it.

I have used my dads old 2wd truck before and it is a major pain if the ramp is wet. If I was first to take my boat out and the ramp is dry, no problem. But who want to be the first to take there oat out on any given day, I want to be last and get the glass after everybody else goes home.

Go with 4WD if possible.

.... My girlfriends Dad wants to give me a great deal on his Grand Cherokee Limited, but it isn't 4 wheel drive, which kind of scares me.
He probobly want to give you a good deal, because a non 4wd SUv dosnt hold its value well. At least here in the snow belt.

richardsoncd
04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
He probobly want to give you a good deal, because a non 4wd SUv dosnt hold its value well. At least here in the snow belt.

Actually....it's an amazing deal, a lot less than what he'd get in trade.

ski_king
04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
After checking out you live in GA and will never see snow and you have a older stars and stripes, go for it if it is a good deal.

Kevin 89MC
04-05-2006, 12:29 PM
If it's a good deal, I'd get the 2wd truck if you don't need the 4wd for anything else. I currently have a 4wd, but use it mostly for the winter snow up here, and the construction jobsites I'm on a lot. I do use it at the launch if it's gravel to prevent spinning, but never had to on pavement or concrete launches, unless it's real slimy (water level low).
I towed for many years with a 2wd Toyota pickup, with a 2.4 liter 4 cyl to boot. I've posted about this before, but my sister was a master at "powering" the boat out at a particular launch that was tough even for the folks with 4wd. Silty/muddy lake bottom, sand & gravel launch that had many potholes from people spinning tires. Another acquaintance towed a PS 190 with an old Chevy Caprice. They also used the boat to "power out". Basically just give the boat some throttle when you hear the vehicle driver giving it some gas. Works pretty well.
Good luck.

Hoff1
04-05-2006, 03:21 PM
My last Grand Cherokee (1997) had the Select-Trac 4x4 which allows for 2 wheel drive operation - standard differential without limited slip. It had the 4.0L engine. My ramp is fairly steep and can be quite wet. I never had much issue pulling my 210 Maristar out and rarely used 4x4, don't think I ever actually needed it. Condition of your tires will play a role though.

My newer Grand has the V8 though and would probably cause more wheel spin because of the increased torque, but I have Quadra-Drive, so I never get more than 1/8 of a wheel spin before it kicks in.

atlfootr
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
My girlfriends Dad wants to give me a great deal on his Grand Cherokee Limited, but it isn't which kind of scares me.Hey Rchson,

Back home (Georgia) thats what we needed on some of those steep *** boat ramps in the N Ga. Mnt Lakes - Lake Burton, Carters Lake etc.

Dwn here, now in our new home (WH, Fl) (soon to install a dock) there's soft sugar sand in many of the places we go.

Still helps to have a 4wd, but we also have a 2wd 4Runner as well.

Ric
04-05-2006, 04:37 PM
I may be repeating myself but in my days as a supra owner I was staying on a part of lake travis that was 30-45 minutes from a boat ramp.
I drove down to the end of the street where there was an empty lot and locked the truck into low range. backed the boat about 50 yards down a steep grade of NOTHING but rocks and into the lake. voila! launched!
Game warden might not have approved but it was gravy.... With a chevy of course!

Loading the boat at the end of the weekend was equally as simple and I crawled back up the rocks without a single slip of a tire or a rock to the gelcoat. Good times Good times.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-10-2006, 03:58 PM
It will take ONE TIME for your 2WD to let loose on the ramp and you end up in the water with the truck to see why you MAY need it. You will not need it all the time, but the ONE TIME you do, you will be thankful.

SD190EVO
04-10-2006, 04:24 PM
4x4 will not keep you out of the water, your brakes will and all modern vehicles have brakes on all 4 wheels.

Many years ago 4x4 was not all that common and it didnt keep folks off the ramps (or end them up in the drink).

Living in Colorado I do find it funny that Jeep would make a Jeep that does not have 4x4 though.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-10-2006, 05:01 PM
SD190, some ramps I have been on. Yes the brakes should keep you from slidin in. But if you have 2WD and a steep wet asphalt ramp. 2WD will leave you spinning and eventually in the drink. Not to argue the fact it is completely unnecessary most of the time, but that ONE TIME will make one wonder.

AirJunky
04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
We moved from western WA near Seattle to eastern WA near Spokane about 2 yrs ago. The difference is amazing. Western WA has steep hills all over, wet snow & ice in the winter & you cannot get around without 4wd when the weather goes to he11.
But in eastern WA, its gets way colder & a lot more snow. But it's flat & desert area, sort of like northern CA. The valleys are flat & surrounded by mountains to the north, south & east. So getting around without 4wd was a breeze this year as long as I stayed in the valley. My little 2wd econocar got around easily.

All that said, it's just like everyone else has said. If the ramps are easy grades & good surfaces, a 2wd will be fine. About 1/2 the time I launch from a beach though, deep sand, and there isn't any 2wd around that is going to be able to pull a loaded boat out of that.