PDA

View Full Version : Session Boats-Diesel

6ballsisall
04-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Anyone notice in the last issue of Waterski Magazine that Session is building boats again? I see they know offer a diesel engine option. I wonder which diesel it is and if it will catch on. Opinions???

Datdude
04-03-2006, 11:41 PM
that should help with a little more ballast-and killer mileage too! Long live the diesel!

88 PS190
04-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Add nitrous and propane injection, and the barefooters will be happy.

Faded & X9-Rated
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Yeah I looked on the website & it didn't say. I'm curious too. I'd hate to be behind the boat when it start off w/ all that black smoke in my face

CoFooter
04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
I actually skied behind a old (70's) Mastercraft at a ski site (in Singapore of all places) last year that had a diesel engine. The guy said it had over 4000 hours. The wake was terrible and yes, it did stink, and top end was about 35/36. Of course they've made huge improvements in diesel technology since the 70's so maybe it's not so bad.

M-Funf
04-04-2006, 01:19 PM
I was up in Montana last Spring. I visited a friend of my Cousin's, who was building a wooden boat (classic style runabout).

He was putting a marinized Mazda ROTARY engine in it. The weight/hp ratio was better than a V8, and the torque curve was awesome! He should have it done by now (or close). I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of it.

prostar190
04-04-2006, 02:00 PM
All that has to be said about diesels is Audi R10. The technology is there to support a ski boat application in time, to out perform and out last gas engines. Who would have thought of a diesel 3 years ago made completely from aluminum? This is extremely economical, quiet with out smoke?

6ballsisall
04-04-2006, 02:52 PM
If money wasn't an object (which it is :rolleyes: ) I would buy me a cigarrete boat without the engines, at least a 40' boat. Install 3 highly bombed Cummins marine engines (read: 900+hp each, 1750+ ft lbs. torque) and mate them to some auto trannys and a hellaciously strong outdrive. Then I'd race it. I think you'd have absolutely no problem annihilating (sp?) anything on the water both from a holeshot and top end perspective. Not to mention you'd be able to use them more than 10 hours between rebuilds and pass more fuel stops than the burly V-8 boats. :D

rodltg2
04-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Anyone notice in the last issue of Waterski Magazine that Session is building boats again? I see they know offer a diesel engine option. I wonder which diesel it is and if it will catch on. Opinions???

buliding boats again, when did they stop?

Sodar
04-04-2006, 03:39 PM
If money wasn't an object (which it is :rolleyes: ) I would buy me a cigarrete boat without the engines, at least a 40' boat. Install 3 highly bombed Cummins marine engines (read: 900+hp each, 1750+ ft lbs. torque) and mate them to some auto trannys and a hellaciously strong outdrive. Then I'd race it. I think you'd have absolutely no problem annihilating (sp?) anything on the water both from a holeshot and top end perspective. Not to mention you'd be able to use them more than 10 hours between rebuilds and pass more fuel stops than the burly V-8 boats. :D
They have tried it, look at the weight differences between diesel and gas motors. There is a guy in San Fran that has a 38 Cigarrette Top Gun with twin Yanmars, spinnging into Arneson Surface drives and the thing tops out at about 75 MPH. You are right though, the fuel economy would be awesome. Also, dock side manners would be greatly improved over a motor with a heavy cam and big blower!

Sodar
04-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Great idea for ocean boats, but I have yet to see diesel availible on any of my local lakes, which means these things must be trailered to get fuel!

Ryan
04-04-2006, 03:59 PM

Session was testing with Yanmars last Fall.

I remember reading in a couple other wake sites where someone swapped in a diesel in their Xstar and someone else swapped a couple Maristars to diesel (or was it Tristars...).
Check these out:
SN with a 300hp diesel
http://www.marinedieselusa.com/marine-engine-correctcraft.html

Sodar
04-04-2006, 06:27 PM

I remember reading in a couple other wake sites where someone swapped in a diesel in their Xstar and someone else swapped a couple Maristars to diesel (or was it Tristars...).
Check these out:
SN with a 300hp diesel
WOW, that thing is B!TCHIN'!!!

jimmer2880
04-04-2006, 08:51 PM

Check these out:
SN with a 300hp diesel

That is very cool! I didn't realize they are the same weight as a 454. Wonder how much $$$'s they are. Hmmm... go buy a 91 with a blown motor, drop in a diesel.... That's got the gears turning....

jayderwin1
04-04-2006, 09:09 PM
i wonder how much better on gas they are? i wonder it it has that cool whistle sound when you punch it?

6ballsisall
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
i wonder how much better on gas they are? i wonder it it has that cool whistle sound when you punch it?

typical gasoline engine has a ratio of about 25 parts air to 1 part gas. For fact, I know a 12 valve cummins (in a ram) that is stock power uses 278 parts air to 1 part Diesel. Should be a significant difference in gph consumption.

And yes, you get the wonderful turbo whistle unless it's been muffled, but why would someone want to miss that sheer joy of a sound :D

Man I miss owning a Diesel :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
04-04-2006, 11:22 PM
They have tried it, look at the weight differences between diesel and gas motors. There is a guy in San Fran that has a 38 Cigarrette Top Gun with twin Yanmars, spinnging into Arneson Surface drives and the thing tops out at about 75 MPH. You are right though, the fuel economy would be awesome. Also, dock side manners would be greatly improved over a motor with a heavy cam and big blower!

Do Arneson drives have variable gear transmissions? I think this would be key in getting a Diesel to be fast on the water. They have such a narrow powerband and need something that can keep them in that powerband at all speeds. You know what they say, "how fast can you afford to go?" :rolleyes: For the right amount of money I'd think a guy could take an auto tranny from a car, change the internal gearing around to be the right fit, tie it up to a stout outdrive unit and the right prop and you could have 4-5 forward gears set to shift at the right powerband.