PDA

View Full Version : How do you fix a small rip/tear/hole? a Patch?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-03-2006, 11:55 AM
How do you fix a small rip/tear/hole? a Patch?

I have a small hole on my rear bench cushion. I want to keep it from getting bigger. What should I do? patch it with a vinyl kit? take it to a upholstery shop?

ANy ideas??

:confused:

All help is appreciated! :)

6ballsisall
04-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Upholstery shop would be best. Good places can work wonders on the stuff. If not, you can buy kits to do the job, they do ok........

east tx skier
04-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I'd say take it to the shop. Having seen how clean your engine is, I don't think you'd be satisfied with the results from the kit.

Hoff1
04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
I used a kit last year on a couple of rips, about 1" long. Did a decent job, but I didn't try to tone down the white any so it's somewhat noticeable to me when I'm within about 5 feet of it. If you spend a little time to match your vinyl color, it can be sufficient. I guess it's all relative to the age of the rest of the vinyl though.

Tom023
04-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I bought some vinyl "welder" glue from Barts a long time ago for a small cut. It's not a patch kit but a glue that actually melts the tear back together. It worked well but over time the glue has yellowed a bit so it's no longer invisible.

bobk
04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm going to ask that this be posted in the form of a poll ;)

T Scott
04-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Hey UMP- Just use a big wad of duct tape. After a while, it will blend right in! :D :D :D

east tx skier
04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I bought some vinyl "welder" glue from Barts a long time ago for a small cut. It's not a patch kit but a glue that actually melts the tear back together. It worked well but over time the glue has yellowed a bit so it's no longer invisible.

That was an issue I had with it once. The "welder" is pretty much epoxy as far as I can tell. Mine yellowed within a few days. On the other hand, the rip didn't get any bigger.

JohnnyB
04-03-2006, 02:16 PM
For the tears/rips that can't be seen, use the welder. For those that can, look up Dr. Vinyl in your phone book.....