View Full Version : 20 hour service for a new boat - can it wait to 30 hours?

04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I bought a 2006 X2 and it now has 22 hours on it. Time for the 20 hour service. The hours got on there quicker than I thought. Unfortunately the dealer probably won't be able to get me in for a week or two at least. I am supposed to take the boat to a lake with some friends this weekend. That means that if I take it, it will likely be up to around 30 or more hours before the 20 hours service. Is that adviseable? Will this void any of the warranty? I know the oil change is pretty important - should I change it myself before the trip and then just let it get changed again at the 20 hour service? Any help is greatly appreciated. My dealer is closed today and I want to get a head start figuring out what to do.


04-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I don't think it will make much difference. When I got my boat, from same dealer, they indicated the service was suppose to be done at 30 hours anyway, which was different than the 20 hours MC was recommending. I think I might even still have their "30 hour" checklist. Mine was mid to high 20s when I brought it in. You may want to change the oil and filter just to be on the safe side. Make sure they check the engine alignment! Hopefully you'll get a more knowledgeable response from EngineNut or Jim.

04-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Do it as soon as you can. It used to be a 25 hour interval, but they may be trying to get people to think about it sooner since some never bring their boat in till the end of the year, sometimes over 100 hours. Make the appointment so you can get it in ASAP. MC and Indmar want to see if the oil is OK, alignments are OK, etc. They don't put "break-in oil" in it, just the normal recommended grade but the first change needs to be done sooner than any subsequent changes unless the oil is contaminated. They should be hooking it up to run diagnostics, too.

04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Well I definitely won't be waiting too much longer, I am just concerned with going this one more weekend with it not having its first service. So it kinda sounds like in this situation, it isn't going to be bad to wait until 30 hours to get the service done from what you all are saying. Plus if I change the oil this week, that would satisfy the major concern. We haven't noticed any problems whatsoever with vibrations or anything seeming not right.