PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Help

JohnnyB
04-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Well,

Finally deciding to purchase a digital camera......I've been looking around at them in stores and on the web.....this crowd probably has the best advice, since I'll be using it for skiing pics and other sports pics...

I think I want something with a high capture rate or sport mode/continuous mode with a decent optical zoom....>10X????

OK, that being said, coach me a bit on what you've bought and how you like it!!!!

Maristar210
04-02-2006, 05:15 PM
take a look here...
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7331&highlight=digital+camera

erkoehler
04-02-2006, 05:47 PM
10x is alot of zoom, and will be more than enough. Be prepared to shell out a nice chunk of change for a camera with that much optical zoom.

Other features to look for are rechargeable batteries, extra memory cards, and make sure that the camera is not oversized.

I have found with my Kodak and Sony cameras, they drop right into the cup holders on the boat, which is great for safe keeping and easy access.

roddydog
04-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Also you don't need a lot of Mega-Pixels unless you are blowing up posters (Excuse the pun).
IMO Anything over 4 is overkill.

jpattigr
04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

This site is awesome for reviews and info. I have a Panasonic FZ5 with 12x optical zoom and the key feature is the image stabilizer for the big focus.

Read the reviews and have fun.

PS Remeber buy the "lens" not megapixels!! :friday:

JimN
04-02-2006, 08:48 PM
erkle- Olympus has some 10x zoom cameras that are in the $350 range, and they're pretty nice. IIRC, they have Carl Zeiss glass.

jpattigr- for prints, Mpixels are important. For 'net, they aren't. Remember, for a print to look good, the printer is optimized for 300 dpi and in setting up to print, while pixels don't relate to dpi 1:1, the pixels determines the size of the print if specific quality criteria are to be met. For a great quality 8x10, using 300 dpi, 7.2 MP is needed. At 200 dpi, 3.2 MP is needed. That being the case, a 4 MP camera should be fine. Besides, there is software out there that allows enlargment without loss.

You're right, though. The glass makes a huge difference. All the megapixels in the world shot through the bottom of a Coke bottle won't look good.

atlfootr
04-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Finally deciding to purchase digital camera, using it for skiing pics and other sports pics...coach me on what you've bought and how you like it!!!!Glad ya asked ...
CANON POWERSHOT A610 :toast:
All pictures taken and submitted thus far on the board
have been from this camera.

Although, it's only a 5.0MP -
it seems like a 10! Takes sharp clear crystal pictures EVERYTIME and super EASY TO USE.

Bought our's @ BESTBUY, Valentines Day and used it every day since :)
Call me, if you need further info.

BUY "RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES" and CHARGER
512mb Memory Card (stores @least 300 pic's)

FYI -"I'd buy another one of these, before I'd buy anything else.

BrianM
04-03-2006, 09:03 AM
I finally got my new camera this past Friday. Olympus 720 SW (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225). It is very small, user friendly and 7 mega pixels. Best part is it is the only camera out there that is shock proof and waterproof to 10ft. I'm liking it so far.

bigmac
04-03-2006, 10:26 AM
for prints, Mpixels are important. For 'net, they aren't. Remember, for a print to look good, the printer is optimized for 300 dpi and in setting up to print, while pixels don't relate to dpi 1:1, the pixels determines the size of the print if specific quality criteria are to be met. For a great quality 8x10, using 300 dpi, 7.2 MP is needed. At 200 dpi, 3.2 MP is needed. That being the case, a 4 MP camera should be fine. Besides, there is software out there that allows enlargment without loss.

Adobe Photoshop or PhotoShop Elements will do really excellent bicubic interpolation for upresing. I routinely have 16x20s printed from my 4 megapixel Nikon D2H and they are excellent. Even 20x30s are amazing, although I've been disappointed in Kodak's abilitly to maintain exposure on those really large prints.

Things get a little different when we're talking about point-and-shoots compared to digital SLRs, though. The capture from video mode used by non-dSLRs, differences in autofocus method, lens quality and sensor size all make comparisons of point-and-shoots to a dSLR a little unfair no matter what their resolution. Those differences, noise from non-dSLRs in particular, are all magnified when we start enlarging beyond about 5x7. When the pixel density increases, such as putting 8 megapixels on the same size sensor as a 4 megapixel sensor, noise gets worse, and that becomes more noticeable with enlargements.

JimN
04-03-2006, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't blame Kodak for those large prints. The file size just isn't large enough and it's still an interpolation, so it's not the same as a fully saturated negative or slide. On a good slide/negative scanner, a 35 mm original will be about a 27-29 Meg file (I have some scans from a Grand Canyon rafting trip and had them scanned on a Nikon LS-2000 in '97). OTOH, looking at a 20x30 from 12" away isn't the point. If it looks good from arm's length or more, it's a good print.

The point and shoot vs SLR thing hasn't changed. P&S cameras still have a smaller CCD in most cases and that adds a lot of noise. My negatives that were scanned were shot with an old Canon AE-1, handheld on a moving raft, but the detail is excellent and I had a couple enlarged to 20x24 (cropped- same magnification as a 20x30) and the rest are 8x10, 11x14 or 16x20.

bigmac
04-03-2006, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't blame Kodak for those large prints. The file size just isn't large enough and it's still an interpolation, so it's not the same as a fully saturated negative or slide.

It's an exposure issue - they're overexposing the print. The exposure of the print should match the exposure of the file. It's what happens when they let the machine make the print. I send those 20x30s to White House Custom Color now. It's about 15% more expensive but they come back dead on for exposure.

JohnnyB
04-03-2006, 01:28 PM
www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

This site is awesome for reviews and info. I have a Panasonic FZ5 with 12x optical zoom and the key feature is the image stabilizer for the big focus.

Read the reviews and have fun.

PS Remeber buy the "lens" not megapixels!! :friday:

In my research thus far, this camera and its 6megapixel successor seem like a lot of bang for the buck. The FZ7 (I Believe that's the model) goes for somewhere around $340....

Keep the info coming, I'm still researching!!

JimN
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Of course, the machine is trying to hit 18% grey and while it is the theoretically correct exposure, it won't always look right. I didn't know what kind of prints you were getting- laser or photo paper, hence my comment. There's a place here in Milwaukee that does large format prints but I haven't needed to get any lately. The place that did my photo enlargements is gone, basically because they didn't get on the digital wagon on time, if at all. They were still making slide dupes for another place when I was there last, and it may have been the other place eliminating competition by keeping this place busy. It's a shame, too, because they made great prints.

tommcat
04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
i'm looking at the canon 540 and the olympus stylus 600 or 710 right now. if the reviews of the stylus are good enough i will probably opt for one just for the weatherproof part. snowmobiling and boating arent exactly kind to a digital camera

BrianM
04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
i'm looking at the canon 540 and the olympus stylus 600 or 710 right now. if the reviews of the stylus are good enough i will probably opt for one just for the weatherproof part. snowmobiling and boating arent exactly kind to a digital camera

If you are looking at the Stylus 600 and 710 check out the 720sw and go that route. I was looking at the same cameras and because of the watersports went with the 720 because it is actually waterPROOF not just weather resistant. No worries about getting it wet.

tommcat
04-03-2006, 03:11 PM
If you are looking at the Stylus 600 and 710 check out the 720sw and go that route. I was looking at the same cameras and because of the watersports went with the 720 because it is actually waterPROOF not just weather resistant. No worries about getting it wet.i thought they were all waterproof to 10 feet, i must not have read the descriptions carefully.....per usual :rolleyes:

tommcat
04-03-2006, 03:21 PM
so now that i read more carefully, exactly what do they consider "weatherproof" means?

BrianM
04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
so now that i read more carefully, exactly what do they consider "weatherproof" means?

Means you canuse it in a little drizzle of rain without much worry. That is about it. The SW is also shock prrof from 5 ft which means when you drop it will keep working. No gaurantee with the others.

Ryan
04-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Well,

Finally deciding to purchase a digital camera......I've been looking around at them in stores and on the web.....this crowd probably has the best advice, since I'll be using it for skiing pics and other sports pics...

I think I want something with a high capture rate or sport mode/continuous mode with a decent optical zoom....>10X????

OK, that being said, coach me a bit on what you've bought and how you like it!!!!

Try the Canon S3($500 in May) or S2($350). Near SLR performance, in a more convenient size, and video with stereo mic's! The S3 takes 60fps video too. The S3 has the action setting while you'd have to go shutter priority on the S2.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=13077

jpattigr
04-03-2006, 06:56 PM
JohnnyB

I was just on a Cat ski trip and used my FZ5 and was able to shot 4 pics a sec. and the pics turned out awesome even at Huge Zoom.

Again read the reviews and do your homework. Canon makes a good camera too, my buddy has the S3 and it does do a little better movies then mine, but for stills the Panasonic is much sharper and richer.

Go play with them all and if you have some where that allows you to try them for a day and return them then I would buy a couple and test.

Good Luck!!