PDA

View Full Version : Accessory switches on the dash?? Wiring?

skeeler
04-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I think I viewed a post for this once before, but I canít find it. I just finished wiring up a new led lighting system in my boat (04í X-2), and would like to be able to turn on the led lights with one of the accessory switches on the dash. My question is, has anyone ever done this before and if so, do you recall how you wired the switch? I could probably take it apart and figure it out, but I figured someone out there has done it, and has the switch wiring in memory. Any help would be great. Thanks!

RackAtak
04-02-2006, 12:18 PM
If it's any help, I wired my stereo to the acc 1 switch. All I have to do to turn the stereo on is flip the switch. No key needed. It was already wired hot to the battery. I suppose you could do the same with the lights.

skeeler
04-02-2006, 12:25 PM
If it's any help, I wired my stereo to the acc 1 switch. All I have to do to turn the stereo on is flip the switch. No key needed. It was already wired hot to the battery. I suppose you could do the same with the lights.
Did you wire it directly to the back of the switch? If so, how did you wire it to the switch?

RackAtak
04-02-2006, 12:34 PM
The switch was already hot so when I turned it on before hooking the stereo to it the red indicator light came on. It had leads off of the back of it which were tucked up behind the dash labeled ACC1. I connected the end of the ACC1 hot wire to the hot lead on the stereo. I believe it had a ground as well.

skeeler
04-02-2006, 12:37 PM
The switch was already hot so when I turned it on before hooking the stereo to it the red indicator light came on. It had leads off of the back of it which were tucked up behind the dash labeled ACC1. I connected the end of the ACC1 hot wire to the hot lead on the stereo. I believe it had a ground as well.
So you wired it directly to the master breaker panel behind the dash, not the actual switch, correct? Did you just connect the positve there, or did you ground it there also? Thanks for the help, I think I got it.

RackAtak
04-02-2006, 12:48 PM
I wired the stereo directly to the lead coming off of the back of the ACC switch on the dash. The lead was hanging loose...maybe 12" inches of lead just begging to be connected to something! I didn't deal with the breaker panel at all. I suppose the switch itself is wired to the breaker panel already because it had power.

My simple knowledge of electrical told me that if the red light was going on when I hit the switch and nothing else on the boat turned on, it should be able to power the stereo if I hooked the stereo to the 12" ACC switch lead :eek: The switch may have already been grounded as well.

skeeler
04-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I wired the stereo directly to the lead coming off of the back of the ACC switch on the dash. The lead was hanging loose...maybe 12" inches of lead just begging to be connected to something! I didn't deal with the breaker panel at all. I suppose the switch itself is wired to the breaker panel already because it had power.

My simple knowledge of electrical told me that if the red light was going on when I hit the switch and nothing else on the boat turned on, it should be able to power the stereo if I hooked the stereo to the 12" ACC switch lead :eek: The switch may have already been grounded as well.
I understand now. Thanks for the info!!

erkoehler
04-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Crawl under the dash and look up....you should see lots of wires, and MC labeled them all for us ;)

skeeler
04-03-2006, 08:29 AM
After looking at it last night after viewing your posts, I kind of feel like an idiot. :o I had no idea it would be that easy! Leave it to Mastercraft! My last boat and my friend's Malibu, I had to take the dash apart, take the switch out, and then use a voltmeter to determine which pole to connect to make the switch turn on the lights. Just another reason why I went with the best brand out there. :D The lights turned out great. I will post some pics tommorrow. Thanks, again. Shawn

kalanic
04-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Right on for the thread start. Im getting ready to add tower lights & was going to use one of the Accesory switches. Sounds easy.

RackAtak
04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
After looking at it last night after viewing your posts, I kind of feel like an idiot. :o I had no idea it would be that easy! Leave it to Mastercraft! My last boat and my friend's Malibu, I had to take the dash apart, take the switch out, and then use a voltmeter to determine which pole to connect to make the switch turn on the lights. Just another reason why I went with the best brand out there. :D The lights turned out great. I will post some pics tommorrow. Thanks, again. Shawn
I thought your brain was fuzzy and you might have been working off a hangover when you were asking the questions... :D Piece of cake!

skeeler
04-03-2006, 10:54 AM
You know, if I would of done it Sunday that would of been the case. We partied like rock stars Saturday night. :guitar: I never really climbed underneath there and looked around, but man what a refresher to find out how easy it was. I ended up doing about 14 sets of led lights for the interior, blower vent, under the dash, storage area, and bow. I used these for most of them in the white housing.
http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?q=Courtesy+Light&servletPath=%2Fg2m&action=DoSearch
Then I also put some in each speaker grill. Turned out great! It turned out to be a pretty easy project. Took me about three hours start to finish. I will have some pics tomorrow.

skeeler
04-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Here is a few pics of the finished project.
http://www.lockituponline.com/gallery/x-2_led/index.htm

kalanic
04-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Great job skeeler! That looks great!

Tom023
04-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Looks great! The red reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the chicken restaurant across the street from Kramer's window. :D

RackAtak
04-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Looks great Skeeler! Kind of reminds me of a club of some sort. If you had a direct drive, the pole in the middle of the boat would be especially useful ;)

It really looks good and I especially like the red light in the switch on the dash :D Glad the brain fog cleared out and you were able to power everything up.

dave06x1
04-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I must be an idiot unless an o6 x1 is a little diff. The acc1 and acc2 are both hot and not going to anything but I can't find the end. I think that it goes into one of those split tubes and goes forever. Does anyone have any idea or can vouch for me or am I just not seeing the obvious? I promise it is not just hangin' there just beggin for me to wire something to it :confused:

skeeler
04-08-2006, 07:32 PM
I must be an idiot unless an o6 x1 is a little diff. The acc1 and acc2 are both hot and not going to anything but I can't find the end. I think that it goes into one of those split tubes and goes forever. Does anyone have any idea or can vouch for me or am I just not seeing the obvious? I promise it is not just hangin' there just beggin for me to wire something to it :confused:
.Mine were in loom, but way off towards the passenger side of the dash in the back. Hope that helps. :D

dave06x1
04-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks Skeeler, but no luck yet

RackAtak
04-08-2006, 09:40 PM
You probably already looked, but is there a junction block somewhere that the acc switches are already wired to?

SteveO
04-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Skeeler,

Nice work. Saw it earlier this week on Wakeside Rides. Sweet :guitar:

skeeler
04-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks, just finished the ones in all the storage areas and the blower vent. Going to tackle putting lights in the tower speakers next weekend hopefully. I will keep you all posted.

32offer
05-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Do you recall which wire was the 12" "loose" one just hanging there?
looking at the switch from the back.... A B
C D
E
thanks

skeeler
05-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Do you recall which wire was the 12" "loose" one just hanging there?
looking at the switch from the back.... A B
C D
E
thanks
Sorry, it has been so long. I can't remember, but I am sure someone out there in MC land could tell ya.

gguppy
05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
92 prostar can anyone tell me if and where i can buy a new DC electrical panel (switch)