PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount Accessories?- ProStar 197

bdecker
04-01-2006, 07:12 PM
I just bought the Clarion Ipod control. It is supposed to integrate with the factory stereo in my '05. Installation appears to be incredibly easy, but I'm struggling with one simple issue:

-Where do I mount the unit and drill the 2 screws?? Will the self-tapping screws for an automotive application hold in fiberglass?
After spending a fair amount of time up under the seat, it appears that the safest location would be next to the heater, as any screw that went too deep would be covered by the bow cushions. Ideally I'd like to place it on the wall next to the stereo or just below the stereo attached to the glovebox well. Does anyone know how thick these are. Will these quarter inch screws blemish the finish on the other side?

Also, I think I'm going to end up drilling a small hole in the glovebox for the connection to the ipod. Is there any trick to doing that without ending up with a splintered mess?

Any suggestions? With my luck I'll choose the wrong spot and be looking for "gelcoat repair"...

BuoyChaser
04-02-2006, 10:45 AM
the kick panel below the driver's seat, next to perfectpass module is best spot...

there has to be a iPod holder (like at Best Buy or online) that you could mount just under the dash (drill the holder then screw it into side kick panel), then slide your Nano in there for quick/easy access, rather than having to drill a hole in the glovebox...

as for running the wire from back of radio, should be able to follow the pp pickup wire back to pp module...

i've got some pics to post of that kick panel when i mounted my pp module...

here's a pic of the wiring harness coming in underneeth the steering wheel, should be able to follow that to the radio...

BuoyChaser
04-02-2006, 02:08 PM
any luck mounting it, how does it sound???

bdecker
04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Not installed yet. I'm embarrassed to admit how many hours I have into the simplest task in the world... I've been trying to fish the wire up over that kickpanel without having to remove it. Sounds easy but it has been a major headache. The access is gained by removing the seat bottom of the bow on the drivers side. Hopefully nothing has come disconnected in my numerous attempts to get- "over the wall".

If I had it to do over again, I think it would take 10-15 minutes.

1. Mount the module just below or beside Perfect Pass
2. Connect cable to module and drop over the wall in the slot where PP wires go.
3. Run a string in the opening for the driver's heat tube from behind passenger seat to drivers bow (careful not to damage heat tube or you'll have cold feet!!)
4. Access cable from driver's side bow cushion
5. Connect cable to string and carefully pull through.
6. Cable plugs right into port on back of stereo.

I think I'm going to run the ipod cable along the kickboard to the gunnel, zip tying it to the existing wiring and dropping it down in front of the driver's cupholder. Thinking to attaching some kind of holder there, not sure what yet. Access to the ipod is only important for plugging in and removal. The screen will go blank when it's connected.

BuoyChaser
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
a holder like this one might work, not only has the velcro armband attachment, but also has a belt clip, that might be removable...think that is the key, like a belt clip setup...

sure there is plenty of stuff online, but sometimes going to a place where you can see it in person is best, and easily return if it doesn't work:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6493387&type=product&id=1077628821572

BuoyChaser
04-03-2006, 02:53 PM
or for $30, go with something like this:
The DLO Action Jacket for iPod nano
http://www.dlodirect.com/Products/ajnano_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11440898937269467

this looks like it has a nice beltclip and water resistant...sure you could find something to strap this too...if not, under the dash, could easily take a thin strip of rubber, and screw it on each side into the carpet making a belt...then just clip the ipod on that strip...protected under the dash from water/moisture/theft and won't be bouncing around...then when done with a set, clip it on your ski bag and go...

for the $100 MC should add this as an accessory, like Nautique does...

BuoyChaser
04-03-2006, 02:58 PM
this looks like it has a nice beltclip and water resistant...sure you could find something to strap this too...if not, under the dash, could easily take a thin strip of rubber, and screw it on each side into the carpet making a belt...then just clip the ipod on that strip...protected under the dash from water/moisture/theft and won't be bouncing around...then when done with a set, clip it on your ski bag and go...

for the $100 MC should add this as an accessory, like Nautique does...
even better can hook up your cell phone under there too, if it is close enough to cig plug next to throttle be in great shape...then your not wasting your cup holder, need that for coffee/water/beer!!!

then all you have to worry about is bending the banana...:banana:

bdecker
04-03-2006, 04:50 PM
The ipod holder looks like it'll work. I'll probably start with using the cupholder and make the install a little better as time goes on. As for the cell phone, I've yet to find a ski site in NH where it actually works anyway, so I'm better off leaving it in the truck.

Ric
04-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Welcome
I will look for my post on a conduit tube that's installed at the factory which runs under the ice chest to the observer side (this is terribly easy once you find the opening

I think you need to remove the kick panel (4 screws) to reach the thing but I'd feed it from the observer side with a coathanger or someting stiff like that.

(I did this with perfect pass and with wires for my subwoofer etc)

It's basically on the observer side tucked into the carpet where the wall meets the floor (near where that rib or buckle in the fiberclass (covered in carpet) makes a horizontal line from the floor-up in the observer storage area)

Ric
04-03-2006, 05:12 PM
even better can hook up your cell phone under there too, if it is close enough to cig plug next to throttle be in great shape...then your not wasting your cup holder, need that for coffee/water/beer!!!

then all you have to worry about is bending the banana...:banana:
I plugged my cellphone charger into that big cig plug on the drivers side and smoked my charger!! ( I said this was a no smoking boat!!) maybe some yo yo wired the outlet wrong, but I'll crack into it as my 14th distraction of the week! :mad:

bdecker
04-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the tip on the factory conduit. If that kick panel is only four screws, I'll pop it off and finish this thing up pretty quick. I guess it looks/feels like its held in there by more than those four screws which is why I've left it alone so far.

BuoyChaser
04-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the tip on the factory conduit. If that kick panel is only four screws, I'll pop it off and finish this thing up pretty quick. I guess it looks/feels like its held in there by more than those four screws which is why I've left it alone so far.
i had to take off the kickpanel to tie in the perfectpass module...really easy taking out the 4 screws...pretty heavy panel though, surprised that is where the cut-out is located for the subwoofer...

it's been a long night, finally back from Boston, not bad 2:00am...

bdecker
04-08-2006, 05:26 PM
It's finally in and it works perfectly. Apparently I was going through the same conduit that Ric mentioned. They also route the driver's heat through this same area. Removing the kickpanel definitely made it easier, but it was a bit of a pain getting the screws to line up. Still need to play around with the outside screw, as something funny is happening when I tighten is which makes me think I'm outside the original hole. If I had it to do over, I'd probably just throw the wire over the wall and fish it through with the bow cushion removed.

As for the ipod holder, I think I found the perfect solution at Target for $3.99. In the "automotive" section they have these little neoprene bags with a flexible hook on one end. I just bent the hook to fit tightly over the panel where the throttle comes out, slightly under the dash. It looks like it will keep it out of site, safe from water, yet in easy reach if the docking cable comes loose.

As for the mounting location of the module, I chose to put it below/ between the perfectpass and the fuse panel. I chose this spot as it was beynond the reach of the driver's feet (I hope) but if I'd mounted on the other side it would have obstructed the removal of the PP cables.

BuoyChaser
04-08-2006, 05:41 PM
any pictures??? :eek: how does it sound??? :confused: what's up with the temps in the 30s??? :noface:

bdecker
04-08-2006, 07:00 PM
No pictures yet. I'll take some when the weather gets nicer. It sounds perfect.

Hopefully warmer weather is on the way this week. Looks like temps in the low 60's are on the way.

BuoyChaser
04-08-2006, 08:05 PM
No pictures yet. I'll take some when the weather gets nicer. It sounds perfect.

Hopefully warmer weather is on the way this week. Looks like temps in the low 60's are on the way.

sounds like i'm sold!!!lovin' the iPod...sure makes time fly fast...

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 05:02 PM
this is what BDecker put in his 2005 ProStar 197...pretty cool setup, just program in Clarion01 through Clarion05 as playlists on your iPod...then use your Clarion OEM Remote Control to select your tunes...right now he just mounts it under the steering wheel, but could easily mount a holder, especially in place of the MasterCraft Cruise Switch...

Clarion EA1251B iPod Interface for CMD4 and M455 Stereo Accessory
It’s Simple: Operate an iPod as if It were a CD Changer.
Clarion components with CeNET connectivity can control and recharge an iPod, and you can operate the iPod as if it were a CD changer. Play all tracks in order… or select from five different playlists. And the CeNET component will display info such as artist name, song title, and album title… just like an iPod!

BuoyChaser
05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
if you have a Jensen headunit can use this setup, but too many wires...

Jensen JPORT Audio Adapter For MP3, iPod, or Satellite Radio - Stereo Accessory
This cable allows you to conveniently mount a plug in for input into your marine stereo's Aux Input RCA jacks. Perfect for an external MP3 player, iPod or Satellite Radio reciever. 9' RCA cable. Also includes a 4' patch cord to easily plug in your MP3 player.

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/32274.html

BuoyChaser
05-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Poly-Planar IC-3.5PM Audio Adapter For MP3, iPod, or Satellite Radio - Stereo Accessory
This cable allows you to conveniently mount a waterproof plug in for input into your marine stereo's Aux Input RCA jacks. Perfect for an external MP3 player, iPod or Satellite Radio reciever. Includes a 4' patch cord to easily plug in your MP3 player.

Works with any marine stereo with RCA Aux Inputs.

http://www.polyplanar.com/accessories.asp

#47of100TeamMC
05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Buoychaser, that cable is exactly what I was looking for. I was just going to buy an FM transmitter for my iPod since I figured my stereo didn't have an option for an Aux plug like that... But ya know, I remember now that on the remote after hitting "source" a few times going back and forth from Radio to CD player. there is an "AUX" selection i have passed by a few times... Is this plug available at Best Buy do you think? or just from the planar website?

#47of100TeamMC
05-11-2006, 11:09 AM
what's the benefit with going to the Clarion iPod interface? just that you can see the songs on your remote? and control it with that instead of your iPod itself?

BuoyChaser
05-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Buoychaser, that cable is exactly what I was looking for. I was just going to buy an FM transmitter for my iPod since I figured my stereo didn't have an option for an Aux plug like that... But ya know, I remember now that on the remote after hitting "source" a few times going back and forth from Radio to CD player. there is an "AUX" selection i have passed by a few times... Is this plug available at Best Buy do you think? or just from the planar website?
Planar lists a bunch of dealer's including West Marine, originally found it on http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/

now it runs through headphone jack rather than audio/charger bottom jack so not sure the audio quality difference...thinking of modifying my plate where my MasterCraft Cruise control is located to have the plug go in there...then anyone can easily throw their ipod for their tune list when skiing...still get to use the scroll wheel...

BuoyChaser
05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
what's the benefit with going to the Clarion iPod interface? just that you can see the songs on your remote? and control it with that instead of your iPod itself?
clarion interface charges and uses the bottom connection so you only use your remote...have to program in Clarion01 through Clarion05 playlists...

#47of100TeamMC
05-11-2006, 12:07 PM
ahh i c. I'll have to check on the plug. Lots cheaper and I can charge it in the car.

Thanks!

Tenderfoot
05-11-2006, 12:47 PM
I used an adapter that takes the headphone jack to RCA's. Picked it up at Walmart. Does teh same as the poly planer or Jenson. Works fine as far as sound quality off the aux. However, you do have to turn the Ipod volume to max as the volume output seems to be lower than a CD in the headunit. Does the clarion system come from the USB side of the Ipod? Is the sound at a comperable volume level to a CD? What's the price? Were to purchase?