PDA

View Full Version : Pipe plug brass

dchatagnon
04-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi,

I have just replaced my block petcocks with some Pipe plug brass 1/4''.
Now, I have a question, is the plug should be inserted to the maximum? Until the head of the plug touch the block?
I don't want to force to much and brake it on the block... or make damage.
Thanks.
Damien

TMCNo1
04-01-2006, 05:44 PM
They probably won't screw all the way onto the head, just observe how the old ones are and screw in until they are good and snug. I would apply at least one good layer of teflon pipe tape on the plugs prior to inserting. Why are you replacing the petcocks anyway? It would probably be best to replace the old ones [if steel] with brass petcocks, so you won't have to remove them everytime you winterize and the brass ones won't be as likley to corrode. Just curious!

JimN
04-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I would be surprised if you can get the plug in to the head. Teflon tape is a good thing.

Pipe thread is tapered, so don't go nuts- it's not a contest to see who can tighten things the most. You could easily crack the block if you crank it too much.

east tx skier
04-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Not even close on mine when I went to the brass plugs. Like Jim said, teflon tape and just get it snug. I've seen them like just a tad at first, but it stops quickly without any more tightening.