PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Impeller wont come out, any ideas?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-01-2006, 05:47 PM
I cant get my impeller out. I lubed up the vanes with "personal lubricant" and spun the engine over to move it around good and the impellor still wont come out. I am using two paint can openers to try to pull the impeller out. It is being a pain and wont budge. Is there any tricks to this?? I sprayed some penetrating oil inside the impellor as I suspect that the spline shaft is corroded to the impellor, thus making it difficult. I figured If I let it sit there till nite time, rotate the engine so the impeller is 180 degrees to get coverage on both sides, and spray it again then let it sit until tomarrow morning and try it again. I am curious if anyone else has any other tricks to this...... I tried the search and really didnt find much.... :( Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

UMP

Kevin 89MC
04-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Wow, never heard of the "paint can opener" trick failing. Bummer! I'd do what you're going to do: re-lube & try again. My guess is also corrosion onto the shaft. The good penetrants I've had luck with are PB Blaster and Kroil (that one is mail order only I think). I'd spray it good, tap it lightly with a hammer, put a vce grip really tightly on the vanes if you can, then give it a good yank! If that doesn't do it, I'd maybe remove the pylon to get better access, then maybe try a little heat from a torch. If all that fails, let the dealer try!
Good luck!

east tx skier
04-01-2006, 06:07 PM
If all else fails, grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull. Might not make for too good a spare afterwards, but it'll come out. Just be careful of your pump housing.

TMCNo1
04-01-2006, 06:23 PM
One trick I used, was 2 pair of big needle nose pliers 180 deg apart and if you tear a blade on the impeller just move to the next pair of blades, with plenty of WD40 sprayed into the hub and shaft. When you install the new one, use plenty good wheel bearing grease inside the hub of the impeller and on the impeller shaft. I use LUBRIMATIC Marine ANTI-CORROSION Wheel Bearing Grease and next time you change impellers the grease will still be in the hub and on the shaft. Good Luck!

stumbledog
04-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Some vibration delivered via the persuasive powers of a brass hammer.

milkmania
04-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I cant get my impeller out. I lubed up the vanes with "personal lubricant" and spun the engine over to move it around good and the impellor still wont come out. I am using two paint can openers to try to pull the impeller out. It is being a pain and wont budge. Is there any tricks to this?? I sprayed some penetrating oil inside the impellor as I suspect that the spline shaft is corroded to the impellor, thus making it difficult. I figured If I let it sit there till nite time, rotate the engine so the impeller is 180 degrees to get coverage on both sides, and spray it again then let it sit until tomarrow morning and try it again. I am curious if anyone else has any other tricks to this...... I tried the search and really didnt find much.... :( Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

UMP

can you possibly get a feeler gauge in between the impeller shaft & the impeller?

to get some of the corrosion out

04-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I tried several times today before I posted here. I figured I would let that penetrating oil work.

THe visegrips is a good idea. I already have a spare impeller, so I am not worried about ruining this one thats in there now. I already have some anitsieze to put on the shaft for the new impeller. so this dont happen again. I will try again tomarrow morning. I will give it a tap with a hammer, carefully. What did you mean by being careful of the pump housing? can you hurt it? :confused:

Thanks for all the help!! :D

bigmac
04-01-2006, 07:48 PM
What did you mean by being careful of the pump housing? can you hurt it? :confused:

Yes, it's brass...therefore soft enough to dent or deform if you start getting too rambunctious with your various tools.

firstmc
04-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Try ASTROGLIDE!!! lol

east tx skier
04-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Try ASTROGLIDE!!! lol

I bought an impeller from overtons two seasons ago and it came with a little tube of glycerine. Isn't that what astroglide is? :) Makes sense. Water based. Doesn't eat up the rubber impeller.

Hoosier Bob
04-01-2006, 08:57 PM
I have always used an allen wrench. Put the short end around and behind the impeller then pull with vice grips. You can also lightly tap the grips with a mallet or hammer. Rotate sides and check shaft for progress.

east tx skier
04-01-2006, 08:59 PM
I've often used TMC No. 1's dualing needle nose method. Works like a charm when properly lubed (wire pulling lubricant works well). I always find that getting the new one in is a bigger pain.

Hoosier Bob
04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
What are you grabbing Easty, the rubber? Never tried it but may work. The allen key fits great (use the biggest that will fut) and pushes the impeller off. Always pops off but I may have never had a problematic impeller!

erkoehler
04-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Ump, this maybe your first meaningful post in the whole off season! :eek:

TMCNo1
04-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Try the "Warming" Astroglide, that way you have added protection during the winter and or you won't have to warm up the engine that long, that's what happens with the spouse. :toast: :noface: :D

Hoosier Bob
04-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Not that I am interested but glitter or no glitter? I thought also that was for putting it in and not pulling it out? :confused:

milkmania
04-01-2006, 09:10 PM
I bought an impeller from overtons two seasons ago and it came with a little tube of glycerine. Isn't that what astroglide is? :) Makes sense. Water based. Doesn't eat up the rubber impeller.

this is what the dairy industry has used for years for the rubber impellers of the transfer pumps, ice cream machines, etc... works great on o-rings also

http://www.petrolgel.com/ciplube.htm

Hoosier Bob
04-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Melting point 120 degrees? I would think the water would keep the impeller shaft cooler than that. this is what the dairy industry has used for years for the rubber impellers of the transfer pumps, ice cream machines, etc... works great on o-rings also

http://www.petrolgel.com/ciplube.htm

milkmania
04-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Melting point 120 degrees? I would think the water would keep the impeller shaft cooler than that.

just don't use it in the hot tub:rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Melting point 120 degrees? I would think the water would keep the impeller shaft cooler than that.

I'm just grabbing the rubber vanes. With enough lube, I can be gentle. No way for that not to sound bad. But I stay away from the pump housing this way and I have a stack of spare impellers, so if I mess one up, I don't worry about it much.

east tx skier
04-01-2006, 09:26 PM

Yesterday, Erk tells me I've made my least meaningful post.

What's this new post quality analysis, Erk? :rolleyes:

erkoehler
04-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Yesterday, Erk tells me I've made my least meaningful post.

What's this new post quality analysis, Erk? :rolleyes:

I was going to quote your post and put it to a vote, but I didn't think that was necessary :)

vogelm1
04-01-2006, 09:35 PM
If everything else fails, there's always an "impeller puller". The special tool is available from outfites like SKIDIM, but if you talked nice to your dealer they may even let you borrow one for the afternoon? Haven't had one stubborn enough to need this hardcore of a method, but the impeller puller will definitely get it if nothing else does.

Leroy
04-01-2006, 09:37 PM
UMP: Talk to it! #%!&&@)!(~)$&(!#!@@### :uglyhamme

I end up using two pliers and pulling for a long time. Has been taking me 20-30 minutes everytime. And that is on a V-drive.

04-01-2006, 10:02 PM

AWESOME Erk!! :headbang:

Well, I read all your posts, and I will try again tomarrow. I am thinking I will get it. I will try the double vise grip method. I will tap with a hammer too. I think I can get it. I will be sure to put antisieze on the new one for SURE!

Astroglide, I have used it, but not on the boat!!! :D

I have some of that petro gel too, we used to use that on our Ice cream machine at my parents grocery store years ago. its sterile, no germs for food use. I use it for o-rings on my jacuzzi filters and pumps. works like a charm for that. doesnt harm the rubber at all.

Anyone have any other ideas, I am still listening!! :wavey:

Thanks again!!

Tom023
04-01-2006, 10:16 PM
After wrestling with mine, and the limited space in the v-drive, I bought a puller and have never regretted it. As for installing, I always found it easy if you lubricate it and turn it with the palm of your hand while pushing hard to insert it. The vanes will fold down while rotating and it will slip right in.

bcampbe7
04-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Anyone have any other ideas, I am still listening!! :wavey:

Thanks again!!

Make sure you hold your mouth right...

Some nice "mood music" doesn't hurt either. :D

east tx skier
04-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I was going to quote your post and put it to a vote, but I didn't think that was necessary :)

I'm still remembering fondly all the threads that Brian and Beau pulled of yours out of the bowels of TT.

erkoehler
04-01-2006, 11:14 PM
About my post count?

east tx skier
04-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Must've been.

TMCNo1
04-01-2006, 11:16 PM
UMP, got a question! Have you took the 4 little screws and the cover off yet? :D :popcorn: :uglyhamme

erkoehler
04-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Thats good^

milkmania
04-01-2006, 11:19 PM
I have some of that petro gel too, we used to use that on our Ice cream machine at my parents grocery store years ago. its sterile, no germs for food use. I use it for o-rings on my jacuzzi filters and pumps. works like a charm for that. doesnt harm the rubber at all.

we would use a case a day
keep in your HOT soap water buckets when we tear pumps down, lather it up and slap her in..... but we are talking about 10 inch impellers;)

04-01-2006, 11:48 PM
You guys are awesome!! Not only do you help me with these technical issues, you deliver it with plenty of entertainment.

OK fellas, good news! I got hte impeller off. I went to my parents house for dinner and raided my dad's tool box. I got his pair of needle nose vise grips, and when I came home tonite, I grabbed my pair and got a good grip on the impeller gave a strong pull and..... nothing... so I tried again, one helluva strong pull, and out pops the impeller!! :toast: SO I am gonna put the new impeller in tomarrow, I want to clean the housing out with soap and water to make sure I get out any traces of pentrating oil so it dont harm the new impellor. I will install the new one first thing in the morning, and then the next project, The new engine cover insulation!!!! :dance:

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!! :toast: for all the help and fun!!!

east tx skier
04-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Good deal. Hope you marked the position of the impeller or at least remember where the little tick mark was.

As for the engine box insulation, the best thing I did with that mod was let somebody else cut that thing up and install it. The old stuff peeled out pretty easy. The old adhesive took some scrubbing to get out. By the time it came to cutting patterns, I'd had enough.

Check out the "hot to" on www.wakesiderides.com. It's very good and full of pictures.

TMCNo1
04-01-2006, 11:57 PM
You guys are awesome!! Not only do you help me with these technical issues, you deliver it with plenty of entertainment.

OK fellas, good news! I got hte impeller off. I went to my parents house for dinner and raided my dad's tool box. I got his pair of needle nose vise grips, and when I came home tonite, I grabbed my pair and got a good grip on the impeller gave a strong pull and..... nothing... so I tried again, one helluva strong pull, and out pops the impeller!! :toast: SO I am gonna put the new impeller in tomarrow, I want to clean the housing out with soap and water to make sure I get out any traces of pentrating oil so it dont harm the new impellor. I will install the new one first thing in the morning, and then the next project, The new engine cover insulation!!!! :dance:

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!! :toast: for all the help and fun!!!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!, you done good! :firejump:

04-02-2006, 12:11 AM
I remember the notch on the impeller, and wrote it down. Why is that so important?? whats the deal with that?? and I notice the new impeller has a notch on both ends, but in defferent locations on each side.... :confused: so whats the deal there??

erkoehler
04-02-2006, 12:13 AM
I heard that it could cause engine trouble, and wear out your muffler bearings :D

04-02-2006, 12:14 AM
really.....? what kind of engine trouble??

east tx skier
04-02-2006, 12:19 AM
I remember the notch on the impeller, and wrote it down. Why is that so important?? whats the deal with that?? and I notice the new impeller has a notch on both ends, but in defferent locations on each side.... :confused: so whats the deal there??

The side pointing out should say Johnson 812 on it. Just make sure the notch on the new on is in the same position as was the old one. You sort of have to manipulate the vanes a bit to get the new on in there. Lube her up good UMP.

04-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Erk told me I can get severe engine damage if the impeller isnt lined up exactly where it was..... is that somekind of april fools thing?? or can that really happen? :confused:

04-02-2006, 12:22 AM
It was at 7 or 8 oclock-ish on the impeller housing for location. So what If I am off like one notch? what happens?? does that damage something??

erkoehler
04-02-2006, 12:25 AM
tick.....tick......tick.......BOOM!!! :eek:

TMCNo1
04-02-2006, 12:59 AM
UMP, if the bomb didn't go off at your house, then if it is installed improperly your propshaft key will be 180 deg. off, which will cause you steering wheel to pull to the reverse side of the rear view mirror! :steering:

east tx skier
04-02-2006, 01:06 AM
tick.....tick......tick.......BOOM!!! :eek:

That's why Erk is trying to sell his boat. He messed it up by putting the impeller in without sufficient lubrication.

stumbledog
04-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Erk told me I can get severe engine damage if the impeller isnt lined up exactly where it was..... is that somekind of april fools thing?? or can that really happen? :confused:

My memory tells me that the impeller is uniform 360 degrees around on both the ID and OD. How can it matter how it is oriented when it is installed?

Tom023
04-02-2006, 08:49 AM
UMP, if the bomb didn't go off at your house, then if it is installed improperly your propshaft key will be 180 deg. off, which will cause you steering wheel to pull to the reverse side of the rear view mirror! :steering:

You can solve that problem if you use the notch removal tool that comes with the impeller puller. After properly conducting a notchetomy, it doesn't matter which way the impeller is installed.

TMCNo1
04-02-2006, 01:55 PM
UMP, did you see where we found your impeller here in NC, after you got it out and threw it. Thanks! Will work good as a spare in my new Liner!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-02-2006, 02:26 PM
is that somekind of april fools thing??:confused:
Ask him again today......seeing its April 2, you should get a different answer.

Tom023
04-02-2006, 02:39 PM
A bit of a thread jack but impeller related. Last fall I put in a Globe impeller (blue ones that are suppose to be able to run dry for 15 minutes). Although someone posted they had problems at low idle, mine ran fine with no problems the two times I took it out. This morning, I put the boat in at the ramp for the first time and no cooling. Pulled the Globe out and put a Johnson impeller in and headed out on the lake. Nothing but the original from now on...and having a spare impeller and puller made it a 15 minute job. I did notice the notch for the first time but have no idea what it's for.

bigmac
04-02-2006, 03:16 PM
A bit of a thread jack but impeller related. Last fall I put in a Globe impeller (blue ones that are suppose to be able to run dry for 15 minutes). Although someone posted they had problems at low idle, mine ran fine with no problems the two times I took it out. This morning, I put the boat in at the ramp for the first time and no cooling. Pulled the Globe out and put a Johnson impeller in and headed out on the lake. Nothing but the original from now on...and having a spare impeller and puller made it a 15 minute job. I did notice the notch for the first time but have no idea what it's for.
If you are able, could you post a part number for the puller?

erkoehler
04-02-2006, 03:19 PM

Was the boat stored all winter? If so, it was probably a good thing to change the impellar anyways.

JohnnyB
04-02-2006, 03:34 PM
West Marine sells the impeller pullers....I bought one and it makes taking them out very easy. I bought it because the previous owner of my boat only changed the impeller when it went bad...probably had been 3-4 years since last changed when I tried pulling it out...

Someone else had posted a while back that they screw two drywall screws into the rubber, close to the hub and then pull on those with pliers or vice grips.....

bigmac
04-02-2006, 03:44 PM
West Marine sells the impeller pullers....I bought one and it makes taking them out very easy.

Yeh, but I'm not sure of the size. DIM sells a Jabsco puller for $48
http://www.skidim.com/images/41203.jpg

...whereas West Marine sells two sizes for $65 and $75 respectively

http://images.westmarine.com/full/11643_f.jpg

Leec
04-02-2006, 04:47 PM
You should have bought my impeller puller, it was a no hassle job with it. I sold it last week for $35.

Tom023
04-02-2006, 06:24 PM
If you are able, could you post a part number for the puller?

I bought the smaller one at West marine. It doesn't quite look like the picture they have posted, it is the Jabsco puller, but maybe they are the same. I should have bought from DIM and saved a few bucks, although I bought is several years ago and don't recall what I paid.

Leec
04-02-2006, 07:23 PM
The smaller Jabsco is what I had and it worked great. I had to unscrew the center piece to get it to work in my V-drive as there wasn't room because of the rear transom. So I just pulled on the cross bar once it was in place and out came the impeller.

André
04-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Lee!
Hope you're doing OK !

04-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Well the impeller project is completed. Thanks for all the help everyone!!! :wavey: I installed the new impeller today. I aslo ripped out the insulation out of my engine cover and got all the glue residue off it(big job) and cut the new insulation so its ready to go. I will finish that job this week sometime.

Thanks again for all the help people!!! :D

Jaysonsmith
04-29-2006, 03:59 PM
If you don't know what astroglide is then ... well ... I can't tell you. Ask your squaw to get you some. Ha!

lakes Rick
04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
If you don't know what astroglide is then ... well ... I can't tell you. Ask your squaw to get you some. Ha!

drugstore.com

A friend told me about this place.. "slippery stuff" works well also, at least thats what I heard ;)

east tx skier
04-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey, Rick. It's been a while.