PDA

View Full Version : New MC Owner

6ballsisall
09-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Well I got the boat! I had posted about a week ago about a 86 Prostar 190 w/ Powerslot under another thread. I picked it up this weekend. It is going to need a little more work than I had thought, the upholstery is going to have to be gutted and for sure the tranny is toast (won't go into gear-throttle just revs) I can't wait to get the boat fixed and on the water. The prior owner had it supped up some, it has an aftermarket cam, Edelbrock Carb 650cfm with 78 jets, and a high rise Victor JR. manifold. I will say from the fake a lake and backing it down an ramp to start it up and rev it a little, it sounds really strong.

I do have a few questions:

1. I seem to remember someone posting on the old site about a place they bought pre-fitted skins for their boat from somewhere. Does anyone know where these can be bought at?

2. Before I pull that tranny and have it rebuilt, anyone have any pointers on stuff I could try first to see if it really does work? I checked the shift linkage and the lever that points to F and R is moving to the correct place. Any ideas?

3. Can a brass OJ 4 blade prop be rebuilt if it has some dings around the leading edge?

4. The boat unfortunately did not have the back seat with it (which I want) Does anyone have one they want to sell or know where I can find one for sale??

erkoehler
09-27-2004, 02:19 AM
The seat skins may be available through mastercraft. Otherwise, if you know of a good shop, maybe they could make them up for you?

Watch ebay for the seat in the back of the boat. They pop up every once in awhile.

Brent
09-27-2004, 06:53 AM

H20skeefreek
09-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Well I got the boat! I had posted about a week ago about a 86 Prostar 190 w/ Powerslot under another thread. I picked it up this weekend. It is going to need a little more work than I had thought, the upholstery is going to have to be gutted and for sure the tranny is toast (won't go into gear-throttle just revs) I can't wait to get the boat fixed and on the water. The prior owner had it supped up some, it has an aftermarket cam, Edelbrock Carb 650cfm with 78 jets, and a high rise Victor JR. manifold. I will say from the fake a lake and backing it down an ramp to start it up and rev it a little, it sounds really strong.

I do have a few questions:

1. I seem to remember someone posting on the old site about a place they bought pre-fitted skins for their boat from somewhere. Does anyone know where these can be bought at?

2. Before I pull that tranny and have it rebuilt, anyone have any pointers on stuff I could try first to see if it really does work? I checked the shift linkage and the lever that points to F and R is moving to the correct place. Any ideas?

3. Can a brass OJ 4 blade prop be rebuilt if it has some dings around the leading edge?

4. The boat unfortunately did not have the back seat with it (which I want) Does anyone have one they want to sell or know where I can find one for sale??

have you tried replacing the neutral safety switch? it's a much cheaper job than rebuilding the tranny.

6ballsisall
09-27-2004, 09:16 AM
H20

No I have not, where is that located?

Any pics?

Jeff

east tx skier
09-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Congrats on your boat, Jeff. I had a 4-blade OJ prop repaired recently. I sent it to OJ. It had more than a few leading edge dings. It was mangled. They did a fantastic repair job and it now runs smoother than before. $85 plus shipping. This was cheaper than any of my local shops.

As erk' said, I think MC is the only place that has the skins pre-sewn. It's definitely less expensive to have it done by a local shop. If you're replacing the whole interior, I'd probably have it done locally as there will be nothing to match (in other words, all the vinyl will look the same). If you were just replacing a few pieces, I'd vote for spending some extra money and going with the MC skins though.

OhioProstar
09-27-2004, 04:14 PM
I might be wrong but I am under the impression that a neutral switch will keep the engine from turning over, not keep it from going into gear when running.

H20skeefreek
09-27-2004, 04:48 PM
I might be wrong but I am under the impression that a neutral switch will keep the engine from turning over, not keep it from going into gear when running.

you are right Ohio, I guess what i'm suggesting is the module that tells the tranny to go into gear, on the other end would be the little knob you pull out by the throttle control.

OhioProstar
09-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Good point H2O

H20skeefreek
09-27-2004, 05:27 PM
I mean, it's wishful thinking that it's the only thing wrong, but you never know. will it go into gear at all? or just not forward, jrandol?

does the fluid smell burnt??

lakes Rick
09-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Have you checked the fluid??? Low or none would have the symptoms you give..

ktn_cmu
09-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the little knob is pulled out (the thottle only knob) the transmission linkage is disengaged at the throttle, not at the transmission...right? I mean, if it is in "throttle only" mode, the lever on the tranny wont move at all, and his was it seems...

jimmer2880
09-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the little knob is pulled out (the thottle only knob) the transmission linkage is disengaged at the throttle, not at the transmission...right? I mean, if it is in "throttle only" mode, the lever on the tranny wont move at all, and his was it seems...
That is what sounds like is going on. You could disconnect the tranny cable at the tranny & try shifting it by hand. Unfortunately - I've had to do that on the water before when my buddy's cable broke.

It should be on the passenger's side of the tranny and easy to figure out. Just be really careful when you do. I recommend doing it in the slip, still attached to the trailer.

6ballsisall
09-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Sorry Guys, I have been out of town for a few days and unable to respond.

To answer questions, you can watch the trany shift linkage on the tranny shift forward and revers just fine, the cable seems to be working just fine there. However, no gear.

How would you check the fluid? Is it like a car with an auto which needs to be in neutral running to check fluid level? I pulled the dipstick and it has what looks like 1 score line on it and further up an uneven scratched line but no "full" or "add" line. Where should it be on the the dipstick?

Fluid really doesnt smell burnt at all either.