PDA

View Full Version : Boat lifts again...

bigmac
03-31-2006, 07:17 PM
I have a buddy moving back here from upstate New York. He has a Four Winns 230 Horizon I/O and now needs a boat lift for that 4300 lb (dry) 24 foot boat. On his behalf, I ended up shopping lifts for him.

My search came down to Pier Pleasure vs Floe. Both are high quality lifts with deep canopies, a wide range of hiqh quality accessories. Here's what i found...

The Floe VSD6000, 6000# lift with scew drive leveling and included lift motor (either 24 volt or 110 volt). No guides.

VSD6000 lift -- $7154
Bunks -- $877
Canopy 26' -- $3184
total $11,215 - (15% discount until 4/1/06 = $9532 - he can't buy the thing until after 4/1, so he's stuck with the $11,215 price)

Pier Pleasure 5000# lift -- $7149 including 26' canopy, bunks, guides and either 12 volt or 110 volt motor with remote.

Or same Pier Pleasure lift and accessories with hydraulic ram, motor, remote for $8127.

Big price difference there for no quality difference that I can see, although I do think the screw leveling on the Floe is kind of cool. Or would be if it were needed. Leveling is part of what I pay my lift installer for every year.

The hydraulic lift unit on that Pier Pleasure is way cool - I've been lusting after it for a couple of years, and that's the route my buddy opted for. I was kind of surprised at that price difference between the two brands. Floe has alway been at the upper end of the price spectrum for all of their products, but this was way more than I expected, even comparing a 6000# lift with a 5000#.

BuoyChaser
03-31-2006, 09:53 PM
seems pricey, check out http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com

bigmac
04-01-2006, 07:02 AM
seems pricey, check out http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com

My initial shopping foray had already led me to rule out Hewitt, Newman, Shore Station, Shoremaster.

prostar205
04-01-2006, 11:53 AM
What about a Sunstream, either their Floatlift or Sunlift. I know where there are 3 Floatlifts with a 6,000 lb capacity in Florida for $5K ea. The nice thing with the Floatlift is anyone that can launch a boat and install a Floatlift. There is no leveling needed.

Let me know if you need the guys number in FL?

Datdude
04-01-2006, 01:05 PM
The Floe VSD system is bad azz though. Did you hear the VSD 6000 operate? It is almost silent and FAST! Hydraulic is fine when it is new, but like my parents hydraulic RGC starts to have problems with leaks and other stuff. The VSD system is so efficient that it can do over 240 complete up and down cycles on one battery charge(only available as a 24 volt system). Depending on your friend's shoreline, Floe's wheel kits make install and removal much easier because of their leveling system. Floe is not cheap and not for everyone, but you do get what you pay for. Not knocking Pier Pleasure which is a nice lift.....

Datdude
04-01-2006, 01:06 PM
My initial shopping foray had already led me to rule out Hewitt, Newman, Shore Station, Shoremaster.

Good Choice

bigmac
04-01-2006, 01:08 PM
What about a Sunstream, either their Floatlift or Sunlift. I know where there are 3 Floatlifts with a 6,000 lb capacity in Florida for $5K ea. The nice thing with the Floatlift is anyone that can launch a boat and install a Floatlift. There is no leveling needed.

Let me know if you need the guys number in FL?Sunstream makes nice lifts. Not really interested in a floating lift, but I was looking at a Sunlift at the Minneapolis boat show at the MasterCraft display. My biggest concern about the functionality of the Sunlift is that the canopy isn't really deep enough to keep rain out of the interior - the boat doesn't pull up far enough under it because it's too shallow. Otherwise, the price is pretty steep too, IIRC, the 4000 lb Sunstream I was looking at with canopy, but no guides was a little over $10,000. Additionally, it's not a great shallow water lift - it doesn't go as far down as a typical vertical lift.

I assume that the 5000 lb lifts you mention are used, and without canopy? I appreciate your input, but buying a lift from Florida to be used in Minnesota, sight unseen and including shipping, seems less practical than buying one locally.

bigmac
04-01-2006, 01:14 PM
The Floe VSD system is bad azz though. Did you hear the VSD 6000 operate? It is almost silent and FAST! Hydraulic is fine when it is new, but like my parents hydraulic RGC starts to have problems with leaks and other stuff. The VSD system is so efficient that it can do over 240 complete up and down cycles on one battery charge(only available as a 24 volt system). Depending on your friend's shoreline, Floe's wheel kits make install and removal much easier because of their leveling system. Floe is not cheap and not for everyone, but you do get what you pay for. Not knocking Pier Pleasure which is a nice lift.....Yeh, the screw drive is very cool, but the Floe approaches twice the price of the Pier Pleasure, and there's just no possible way it even comes close to being twice as good. IMHO, of course, having just looked closely at the two, side-by-side.

Ease of install and removal isn't a consideration. Write dock/lift guy a check for $120, and when you get home from work, your dock and lift are installed and ready to go :D

bigmac
04-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Good ChoiceI ruled those units out based on a combination of canopy depth, V-bracing/system rigidity, pulley system quality, bunk suspension, canopy frame construction.

Leec
04-01-2006, 03:13 PM
In case you missed I have some new in the package dock rubber / vinyl edging to go around the dock to keep the boat hull from getting scratched. Made by Taylor. Email me if interested, home on weekends LCromwell@satx.rr.com
or weekday 9-5 CST Cromwell.Lee@aaa-texas.com (Cromwell.Lee@aaa-texas.com) I'll make you or him a deal.