PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Prostar 190 Decal Update

TonyB
03-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Using a combination of digital photos taken by Milkmania and myself, I generated a scalable vector graphic of the two side decals shown below.

Yesterday I emailed the graphics to a local franchise of "Signs by Tomorrow". Today I payed $37.37 (including tax) for two of each.

They are supposed to be ready Monday.

I'll post the results.

east tx skier
03-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Tony, I still need to send you a picture. Sorry, I've been given too many tasks at home lately. :)

TonyB
03-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Tony, I still need to send you a picture. Sorry, I've been given too many tasks at home lately. :)

Just as guessed. Certainly no need for an apology. When the time is right, send it and I'll work on it.

Now, because of what I posted in another thread, I may need to apologize to you. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
03-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks, man. Looks good by the way.

milkmania
03-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Using a combination of digital photos taken by Milkmania and myself, I generated a scalable vector graphic of the two side decals shown below.

Yesterday I emailed the graphics to a local franchise of "Signs by Tomorrow". Today I payed $37.37 (including tax) for two of each.

They are supposed to be ready Monday.

I'll post the results.

thanks Tony

BTW.....that scratch (from the previous owner) has been compounded out:cool:

Precision Art has proven unworthy after three emails & two phone calls:(

TonyB
03-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Precision Art has proven unworthy after three emails & two phone calls:(
These decals may look like crap, but I won't know till I see them.

Hopefully they'll be "Right On."

trainwreck_6
03-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Hey TonyB,

Can/Will you get me two of the "190" decals? Give me a call @ work Monday 842-6581.

thanks,
Randy

flipper
03-31-2006, 08:26 PM
If possible I could use a set also. I can't find them anywhere. If you are willing to send them out I can send you a check or whatever you want to do. The other one I am looking for is the "World Record..." for the back in white if anybody has any ideas. I can find every color but white.

TonyB
03-31-2006, 11:09 PM
BTW.....that scratch (from the previous owner) has been compounded out:cool:

Whew, I'm glad to hear it. It's always bothered me. ;)

TonyB
03-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey TonyB,

Can/Will you get me two of the "190" decals? Give me a call @ work Monday 842-6581.

thanks,
Randy

Let's wait and see what mine look like first. They may not be the vendor of choice. Obviously after spending $37.00 I'm hopeful they are.

If everything is good, they are located on University Drive, East of Mem. Pkwy. About two blocks down and across from Red Lobster -- Signs By Tomorrow (except on Friday, in which case it's Signs By Monday).

They've got the files already loaded. I told them that there may be other interested boat owners so don't delete them.

TonyB
03-31-2006, 11:49 PM
If possible I could use a set also. I can't find them anywhere. If you are willing to send them out I can send you a check or whatever you want to do. The other one I am looking for is the "World Record..." for the back in white if anybody has any ideas. I can find every color but white.

My next decal project is to create the necessary vector file for the transom decal (in white).

The previous owner of my 91 replaced the original transom decal (upper pic with the cut through it) with a later model transom decal (lower pic with dropped shadow and w/o the cut).

The lower decal is a series of pics stitched together.

TonyB
04-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I picked up my decals on Monday but did not get an opportunity to apply them until yesterday (Thursday).

The Star 190 decal loolks the best. The PROSTAR decal has a bit of overspray (maybe overspray is the wrong word) in that there is a bit too much white and not enough underneath color. There should be a more pronounced gradation from the top to the bottom of the decal. That is, the decal should go from almost solid at the top to transaparent at the bottom.

I will probably tweak the vector file and have them try again.

Otherwise, not a bad job. I did apply the Star 190 a little bit low. But they gave me an extra set so I will probably remove it and apply the spare.

Top pic is obviously the original. Bottom pic shows replacement set.

The decals were done by "Signs By Tomorrow" in Huntsville, AL.

If you want a set, you can call them at 256-722-8522. Ask them for the boat decals done for Tony Barber on 04/03/06.

Or you can wait til after I tweak the vector file.

Their website is http://www.signsbytomorrow.com/huntsville/

milkmania
04-16-2006, 12:47 PM
I picked up my decals on Monday but did not get an opportunity to apply them until yesterday (Thursday).

The Star 190 decal loolks the best. The PROSTAR decal has a bit of overspray (maybe overspray is the wrong word) in that there is a bit too much white and not enough underneath color. There should be a more pronounced gradation from the top to the bottom of the decal. That is, the decal should go from almost solid at the top to transaparent at the bottom.

I will probably tweak the vector file and have them try again.

Otherwise, not a bad job. I did apply the Star 190 a little bit low. But they gave me an extra set so I will probably remove it and apply the spare.

Top pic is obviously the original. Bottom pic shows replacement set.

The decals were done by "Signs By Tomorrow" in Huntsville, AL.

If you want a set, you can call them at 256-722-8522. Ask them for the boat decals done for Tony Barber on 04/03/06.

Or you can wait til after I tweak the vector file.

Their website is http://www.signsbytomorrow.com/huntsville/

Tony,

had not seen this update, until today..... looks great!

are these "printed" on a solid sheet of vinyl? as opposed to "die cut"?

if it's solid, it's what I'm after!:love:

if it is a solid sheet of vinyl, what would be wrong with shooting the 190 medallion and the PROSTAR all together?
you could close up the gap a little bit between them to eliminate a lot of clear decal.... but it'd be properly aligned every time.

this may seem like a silly question, but which side of the clear vinyl was printed? top side or bottom side... it would be awesome if they could print the bottom side, then apply the adhesive!
then cleaners & waxes wouldn't wear the print away

TonyB
04-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Tony,

had not seen this update, until today..... looks great!

are these "printed" on a solid sheet of vinyl? as opposed to "die cut"?

if it's solid, it's what I'm after!:love:

It's just as the original decals were done. It is screen printed onto the sheet of vinyl and then cut to follow the outline of the artwork.

if it is a solid sheet of vinyl, what would be wrong with shooting the 190 medallion and the PROSTAR all together?
you could close up the gap a little bit between them to eliminate a lot of clear decal.... but it'd be properly aligned every time.

You are right, that is a good idea if you are replacing both decals. I had them do the original way in case I needed to replace them later, one at a time.

this may seem like a silly question, but which side of the clear vinyl was printed? top side or bottom side... it would be awesome if they could print the bottom side, then apply the adhesive!
then cleaners & waxes wouldn't wear the print away

Hmmm, I don't know the answer to that. I haven't tried to scratch my decals to see if the ink comes off. I will take a look at my spares and see if can determine what side the ink/paint is on.

milkmania
04-19-2006, 10:21 PM
thanks for the replies....hollar when you get the new files up to them, and I'll order a set

Workin' 4 Toys
05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Tony,

What is the status of this?
I have someone that needs to order a set.

TonyB
05-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Tony,

What is the status of this?
I have someone that needs to order a set.

I haven't done any thing more on the decals. As the weather gets warmer, I find I have less time to do things on the computer.

Everyone that's seen the decals in person say they look great and tell me I'm the only one that notices that the decal doesn't have guite enough empty space between the white lines on the PROSTAR. The Star is dang near perfect.

If your friend is fine with the way it is now, he can call "Signs by Tomorrow" or I can send him, or you, the vector file.

Let me know.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-12-2006, 08:53 PM
I haven't done any thing more on the decals. As the weather gets warmer, I find I have less time to do things on the computer.

Everyone that's seen the decals in person say they look great and tell me I'm the only one that notices that the decal doesn't have guite enough empty space between the white lines on the PROSTAR. The Star is dang near perfect.

If your friend is fine with the way it is now, he can call "Signs by Tomorrow" or I can send him, or you, the vector file.

Let me know.
What is the number? And where are they?
Do they have a website?

TonyB
05-15-2006, 10:46 AM
What is the number? And where are they?
Do they have a website?
"Signs By Tomorrow" in Huntsville, AL:
Phone - (256)- 722-8522

Web site - http://www.signsbytomorrow.com/huntsville/

I'm trying to find my invoice so I can give you the invoice #. I'll keep looking.

Hopefully they've still got the files on hand. I believe the work was done under the name "Tony Barber". That may be all the info you need.

Let me know.

Tony

MCBoatGirl
10-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Hi,

I have read through this thread and I wondered if anyone found exactly what they were looking for - I am looking to replace the side decals.

waterlogged882
10-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I have read through this thread and I wondered if anyone found exactly what they were looking for - I am looking to replace the side decals.

a dime a dozen on flea bay -good luke

mikeg205
10-19-2014, 09:49 AM
I have made these.. here's the boat they were last put on...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57959&page=15

PM me for details.

mikeg205
10-19-2014, 09:52 AM
a dime a dozen on flea bay -good luke

1991's not on EBAY - they are difficult to make..

GKinTN
10-19-2014, 11:29 PM
I also have a '91 PS190. I did find some of the star emblem decals from Rambo, but I think I got the last pair of NOS they had. Perhaps that part has already been posted elsewhere. That said, I couldn't find a truly authentic '91 era "PROSTAR" decal anywhere. I did however find one NOS "PROSTAR" decal from Rambo that was grey but I needed it in white. I first tried scanning it, but in the end using Photoshop I retraced over the scanned image and cleaned up the lines. It has the true faded appearance where the horizontal lines start thin on the bottom then get thicker towards the top. I had a local shop print them out with die cuts around each letter and it turned out great on the boat and looks original. I obtained a vector file from the print shop, though I don't have the proper software to view it to truly verify it. Still I posted this file it towards the end of this page, look for the attached file and a pic of it on the boat>

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=1036377#post1036377

mikeg205
10-20-2014, 12:07 AM
The originals were silk screen white, I make them as a die cut vinyl decal. UV inks put down a nice white but UV inks don't have long outdoor stability. Eco Solvent inks including white can give you up to 3 years. I opted for the die cut white vinyl because it will last for up to 9 years outdoors. There is a 1991 folder in the dropbox in the appearance thread.