PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump Seal Replacement

wakebdr2002
03-30-2006, 10:36 PM
My raw water pump is leaking out of the back, so I ordered a replacement seal from Skidim. The people from skidim told me to just remove the impellar and pull the seal out with some needle nose pliers. I worked on this for several hours, but could only get small chunks of rubber. The seal seams like it is super glued to the pump housing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this out? (I have an 01 X star so theres not much room to get at the pump)

Engine Nut
03-31-2006, 08:22 AM
I have attached a set of instructions for rebuilding the raw water pump. Hope this helps.

Engine Nut

Tom023
03-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Great instructions Engine Nut, thanks! I replaced the seal last fall and sure could have used them as I found the seal impossible to to pull out with pliers as wakebdr2002 is trying to do. I wound up separating the two parts of the pump as shown and punched the seal out from behind. It's pretty easy to do, the instructions make it even easier.

wakebdr2002
03-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks - that helps alot. I was attempting to remove the pump last night but the 1/4 allen bolt that attaches the pump to the bracket would not come off. I guess I just need some WD-40, and a 1/4 hex on 3/8 breaker bar.

Tom023
04-12-2006, 07:58 PM
For those of you who have replaced their seal on a Johnson pump, did it look like this? I replaced mine this fall and the one I took out and the one I put in (from Skidim) were the same size as this but they did not have the steel inner part this one has. Instead, they had a metal band or spring around the outside to press the seal against the shaft. I got this one in a kit and am wondering if it's on old or new design.

Engine Nut
04-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I checked our inventory and none of the raw water pump shaft seals that we have look tlike the one in the photo. They are all rubber encapsulated seals with garter springs. Our seals conme directly from Johnson Pump.

Engine Nut

Tom023
04-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks engine nut, that sounds like what I have in right now. I think I'll take this kit back and go with the one I know is right.

BrianM
04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
I replaced mine last year in my '88 with the seal from DIM.. Looked a little different than the one that came out but worked great.

pkskier
04-13-2006, 11:07 AM
I replaced the seal in my '87 TriStar two years ago and it started leaking again about 2 weeks later. Did some checking out and was told to check the play in the shaft and that was the problem. After all the hours the pump shaft had just worn out, bought a complete new pump from the local dealer.

Kummer
09-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Can someone help me in removing the pump ? I have removed the bolts and the mounting arm but still can not get the pump to break loose. I sprayed it with "PB Blaster" to possibly break it loose so I plan on checking this tonight.. There are only three bolts right? Any suggestions? I am only replacing the seal and don't want to damage the pump in the process.

Kummer
09-21-2008, 10:29 PM
I have not been able to replace the raw water pump seal -
1. I removed the three Allen bolts holding the pump
2. removed the mounting bracket.

should the pump not come right off? I dont want to damage it but I cant seem to get it loose.

See the picture to get an idea. short of pounding it with a sledge hammer I am out of options. My next step it to put it back to geather and try to get the oring out and not remove the pump just the impeller. I know there has to be a trick to it. so Please can someone help me out here?:confused:

MK

agarabaghi
07-11-2011, 08:21 AM
any luck removing the pump??

Lt.@324
07-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I have attached a set of instructions for rebuilding the raw water pump. Hope this helps.

Engine Nut

hey engine nut, great instruction but still looks a little tough without some tools. also where do you obtain the parts? can you order straight from Johnson or Indmar? not sure mine is bad though. getting a circulating pump rattle(like an auto) but no leaks and temp staying good even with 90 deg lake temp. with raw water pump off and impellor out- bearing seems good-still, on the engine rattle is rather pronounced. ruled out circ pump

Engine Nut
07-31-2011, 03:05 PM
hey engine nut, great instruction but still looks a little tough without some tools. also where do you obtain the parts? can you order straight from Johnson or Indmar? not sure mine is bad though. getting a circulating pump rattle(like an auto) but no leaks and temp staying good even with 90 deg lake temp. with raw water pump off and impellor out- bearing seems good-still, on the engine rattle is rather pronounced. ruled out circ pump

Parts available from inboardonline.com.

emnesto
10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I need to repair the raw water pump on my X-45. I'm planning on removing it from the engine. Do I need to need to remove the serpentine belt before I remove the 3 bolts holding the pump to the pully.

jjbulla
07-18-2013, 07:34 PM
I cannot get my pump off. All bolts and brackets removed. Any advice?

billr
07-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Tap it with a hammer.