PDA

View Full Version : Garage doors

Cousin_Jeff
03-30-2006, 06:57 PM
I know this may sound weird but what size garage doors do you have? I am looking to buy a new house. My search is for a home that would have a garage big enough to store my 197 at my house. Currently I store it at a marina.

I am just having a terrible time finding a house with big enough garage doors. Technically I think it will fit in a 9ft door but you will have to be pretty precise. I would think 10ft would be preferred.

What do you guys have? Is my search in vain?

M-Funf
03-30-2006, 07:02 PM
mine are 9', and I can get the '76 MC in...but it's a straight shot!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/pc298f0d79b0e44261ad3c4c13bd55185/f1a81f44.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/padc590ea58e70ff4803e15673ae21ed8/f1a81f9f.jpg

east tx skier
03-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I think it'll depend on how deep it is. 9' will be enough if you can go straight in like M-funf does. But if you're like me and you keep it on the diagonal, you'll need something really wide.

Mag_Red
03-30-2006, 08:18 PM
I know this may sound weird but what size garage doors do you have? I am looking to buy a new house. My search is for a home that would have a garage big enough to store my 197 at my house. Currently I store it at a marina.

I am just having a terrible time finding a house with big enough garage doors. Technically I think it will fit in a 9ft door but you will have to be pretty precise. I would think 10ft would be preferred.

What do you guys have? Is my search in vain?why don't you just measure the trailer??? I'd allow 6" each side for comfort :wavey:

boatwake
03-30-2006, 09:22 PM
I have two double stalls so width is not a problem, but height with the added folded tower is a HUGE problem. I have a 77" high opening that requires me to drop the tongue of my 03' X2 w/tandem to less than an inch off the ground (yes, I have to remove the spare tire). Granted this is a lower than normal opening, but I also have to drop the tongue as low as the tongue jack will allow to get it into my other garage with a normal size opening (84").

Thank goodness for my powered dolly!

Cousin_Jeff
03-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Mag, good question.

The boat is in storage 4 hours away. I have the measurements of it but sometimes just b/c the measurement is right, there is no substitution for actually having the trailer and trying it. Just thought I would get some feedback and opinion.

I think what I am going to do is actually build a 3rd garage for the boat. Checking on the covenants now to see if that is going to be an issue.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2006, 10:36 PM
The door mine goes through for storage is 10'W X 7'H. Height is tight going through with it hooked to the truck. Width is great.
My height problem is after it goes through the door, the tower folded comes REAL close to the Fire sprinkler pipes. I hope I never forget how tight it is.

87 TriStar 190
03-30-2006, 11:39 PM
I designed the garage, then put a house around it. My door is 18 feet wide. The garage is 'L' shaped and is 46 feet deep on one side and 30 feet deep on the other. We can leave the Yukon connected for several days in peak season. At the back of the 46 foot section, I have a wire shelf with a hanger rod so I can back the boat in, stand on the platform and hang all the jackets and ropes. The skis and boards go against the wall. No climbing in and out. I also have hot and cold water in the sink and a floor drain. There a light right above it and electrical outlets on both sides. There's a header 16 feet from the back wall where I have the red and white MasterCraft banner. Easliy seen from the street. There's also fridge beside it that has the beverage of your choice. God I love summer.

redmike
03-31-2006, 02:34 AM
I have one 9' and one double (18') the 88 barely fits in the 9', like mr east said, if I don't go straight in, it is a bear! Have gotten pretty good at getting it in with no spotter, so it is possible! Hope this helps....

Cousin_Jeff
03-31-2006, 07:33 AM
87 Tristar 190, Is you house for sale? That sounds awesome!

Any pictures of this setup?

Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate how you can come to this board and get responses about anything quickly.

MinnX-10
03-31-2006, 08:18 AM
You can do it with a 9' door... it is a bear (I back up a hill and have a curve... you get good at it fairly quickly... I have marked off the path for my left trailer tire to follow on the garage floor) It is tight.. I have about 3 on each side with an '03 X-10 and tandem trailer...

Put it in 4L and back up slowly! ;)

Rockman
03-31-2006, 10:02 AM
I designed the garage, then put a house around it. My door is 18 feet wide. The garage is 'L' shaped and is 46 feet deep on one side and 30 feet deep on the other. We can leave the Yukon connected for several days in peak season. At the back of the 46 foot section, I have a wire shelf with a hanger rod so I can back the boat in, stand on the platform and hang all the jackets and ropes. The skis and boards go against the wall. No climbing in and out. I also have hot and cold water in the sink and a floor drain. There a light right above it and electrical outlets on both sides. There's a header 16 feet from the back wall where I have the red and white MasterCraft banner. Easliy seen from the street. There's also fridge beside it that has the beverage of your choice. God I love summer.

I like the way you think. :D

Post some pics if you can. :toast:

jraben8
03-31-2006, 10:45 AM
I have a 18' door and a 8' door. The 8' bay is 23 feet deep so depth isn't a problem as long as I don't get a bigger boat. However, when backing it in my wife won't watch and stays inside. Yea, it get interesting with a 96" inch opening for a 94" wide trailer. (Okay, so there is a rub mark or 2 on each side of the opening from the trailer tires but there are no paint marks.) I did remove the trim on each side of the door from below 36" to give a little more space.

I'll post pics of this next time I get it out.

Ric
03-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Cousin, when I bought my last house, I settled for a place with double doors on the garage and the day after closing, had contractors rip them out and install an 18ft wide single door. They had to install a large steel plate across the header on the inside (but you never really see it). This ended the worry of searching for ONLY homes with a large enough garage door for my MC.

jraben8
03-31-2006, 11:11 AM
That's good to know. I thought of having something like that done to mine last year to knock out the middle support and make it smaller (it's 2 1/2' wide now) and install a 9' door. Instead, I made sure that I got a model that would fit, although, barely. I will say that there are some days when I'm really tired that it is a bear to get it in there. The driveway is steep enough that I have to get the wheels though the door with the truck before I can push it by hand. Good thing I'm patient.

I actually have plans drawn up for my next house that we're seriously pursuing moving on. 10 ft' door on the single bay and 26' deep so I don't have to remove the platform. I'm tired of having to be that careful.

phecksel
03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
At my old house, I had to back up on an angle, and it was CLOSE. Couple of inches on each side. Got it down to a science tho! Friend had come over one day and parked in front of the side the boat had to go into. I already had the boat in the drive ready to go, on the other side. When we returned they offered to move their car. Hecky no, I can do this. They turned a little white when I passed an inch or so off the beemers bumper :)

Solved the problem of garage space tho, bought a house with no garage and unusable carport. Boat sits in the water year round :)

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-31-2006, 04:05 PM
We too put requirements on our new home garage. "8' tall doors, 24' deep bay or we don't build with you." The boat goes in the double bay next to the windows with the tow vehicle next to it. Unfortunately, since we have a tight turn into our side facing garage bay, we had to buy a power dolly. However, it has been great for moving the boat around w/o having to make vehicle connections. It makes for precise parking too!

Garages never seem to be big enough...