PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge

mallees
09-26-2004, 04:57 AM
Hi all, I'm the proud owner of a new X2 2004, 1 of only about 6 in the land of Oz. As there is not many people who know much about these great boats over here I thought I'd post a question to you guys. We had the boat out today, it ran like a charm, until we were getting the last rider out of the water so we could head back to the ramp, and then it just died. I opened the centre inspection cap and saw that the fuel tank was pretty low, ( about an inch deep ) but the gauge was reading 1/4. Got her started and stuck the nose up in the air and limped back to the ramp. I guess my questions are, is this normal, is there a way to calibrate the gauge or is my pickup not low enough.
Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kell
09-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Not sure about the gage reading being "normal" or not, but you must be very careful not to run the tank "dry". The fuel pump has an impeller in it and you can burn it up if you run your tank empty or close thereto. When my gage is b/w 1/2 and 1/4 I verify tank fuel at the tank, and if too low, I'm off to the pump.

JimN
09-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Is there a dealer near you? The fuel tank sender sounds like it needs to be adjusted, or there may be an issue with the MDC box controlling the gauges. Make sure the gas is clean, too. These senders are sensitive to additives and water, with the indicated level being higher if the gas isn't clean. It could be that the sender needs to be readjusted for its empty indication. As Kell said, the pump doesn't survive running out of gas and this isn't covered by the warranty, unless you can prove that the sender is misadjusted or defective. Maybe you can just make it a habit to refill at the 1/4 tank point after having the sender adjusted, then have the dealer include the info about how far off it was on the warranty work order. That way, if the pump needs to be replaced, you should be covered.

Texan
09-26-2004, 11:31 AM
I just had the same problem with my boat. It's a 2002 and I've never let it get past 1/4 tank but the other day I was on the water with friends and let it get between 1/4 and 1/8 tank and was on my way to the gas pump and barely made it. It started running out of gas on me. I was freaking out. Limped into the gas station on fumes but I was pretty mad this happened as the gauge didn't even read close to empty.

mallees
09-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks Guys, appreciate the quick responses. There isn't really an actual dealer as such, just the company that imports them. They are good with boats, build their own actually, but I doubt they would know any of the little tricks that a real MC dealer would. Like i said my X2 is one of only a very few in the country, its actually the only one in the state. Unfortunately by joining the elite Mastercraft owners ranks in Australia, it may take a bit of time and luck to sort out things like this.
BTW, I was aware of the fuel pump impeller, but I didnt expect it to be anywhere near empty. Guess I'll have to be a bit more carefull in future. The good thing is you can actually see how much juice is left through the clear poly tank, most Aussie built boats have alloy tanks.

SkySkiSpokane
09-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Just FYI, my sending unit went bad and I ran out of gas. The pump burned out and I had some serious sticker shock when I went to replace it. This is what most of the indmar motors are using and it definately isn't the cheapest one!! http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080023&variation=&aitem=15&mitem=18