PDA

View Full Version : Bad news....

Leroy
03-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Sorry to bear bad news on you guys, but was told today I have until end of April to find another job. Two thirds of the business unit I transferred into in Dec is being sold by June of this year. The rest of Thomson will be sold yet I think. So I'm in a scramble to find another position inside, very tough since the Indy site has reduced from ~2200 to ~500 over the past 4 years or look outside. I've shot out a bunch of resumes this morning, but if anyone knows of any Program Manager/Director/Operations positions let me know. I'm still trying to stay in Carmel/Indianapolis area for now. I would commute and did that for the past two years to California.

Wish me luck!

Ric
03-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Hang in there Leroy!!!

LakePirate
03-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey Leroy, during my search for a job I found that the Ops Ladder was a good resource.

http://www.theladders.com/ It is a pay deal, but they had some good leads.

maristarman
03-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear that Leroy.

So would you be willing to "commute" to California again?

jrcarte78
03-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Leroy, it's time to head to NW AR!! We've got Wal Mart HQ, Tyson Foods HQ, and JB Hunt Trucking HQ w/in a 20 mile radius! Bound to be a good job w/ one of those!!

Good Luck!!

Mag_Red
03-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm pullin for ya man! :wavey: You're probably land a bigger, better, badder job that you did before.

BeavenX5
03-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Sorry to hear that. Good luck in your search.
JC

6ballsisall
03-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Sorry to hear it Leroy! On the positive side at least you do have some forewarning.

I am sure something bigger and better is about to come together for you. Someone earlier posted about www.theladders.com It is a great site.

TonyB
03-30-2006, 02:11 PM
You're a EE. If you ever think you might want to get into the Missile Defense business, give me call.

Huntsville AL has the second highest Median Income/Cost of Living in the Nation.

Forbes Magazine listed it as the 6th best Metro area in the nation for business and career and the #1 spot if you are an engineer. Beautiful Tennessee River flows right thru the middle of it.

I could hook you up with our "Space Capital Water Ski Club".

Today the sun is shining and it's 72 degrees.

Leroy
03-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys :toast:

I'm using Monster, 6 Figure Jobs, and LinkedIN (interesting site). Will look at ops ladder.....

I would commute to CA again, and have contacted my old group, may fall back to that. Also talking with a company in St Pete for a commuter job.

This is how I read company news anymore...via marketwatch, will not hurt so much to leave now as the French have performed magic with the RCA brand, tada anyone see RCA stuff anymore?

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B4EF459AE%2D6B6A%2D45ED%2D8EEC%2 D3154682ED314%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo

Leroy
03-30-2006, 02:23 PM
And my best friend just bought the marina in Florence! Another college bud is in Huntsville also. Nice place. I've been there 5 times over past 2 years visiting Benchmark.

You're a EE. If you ever think you might want to get into the Missile Defense business, give me call.

Huntsville AL has the second highest Median Income/Cost of Living in the Nation.

Forbes Magazine listed it as the 6th best Metro area in the nation for business and career and the #1 spot if you are an engineer. Beautiful Tennessee River flows right thru the middle of it.

east tx skier
03-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Leroy, sorry to hear it. Hang in there, buddy!

bcampbe7
03-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Sorry to hear it Leroy...

You have a PM. :cool:

TMCNo1
03-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear about the job, as a last resort you can always get ERK's job at Target till something better comes along! :eek:

jsonova99
03-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Harris Corp. here in Florida is hiring I believe just in case you decide to relocate

TonyB
03-30-2006, 03:59 PM
And my best friend just bought the marina in Florence! Another college bud is in Huntsville also. Nice place. I've been there 5 times over past 2 years visiting Benchmark.
Is your best friend a new arrival or a long time Florence citizen? If so, who is he?

I think we've covered this before, but to repeat, I grew up in Florence. My buddy's dad once owned the original Florence Marina.

Our ski club used to trailer in our ski jump and put on 4th of July Ski Shows just off the beach (to the left of the harbor).

http://www.flo-tour.org/images/mcfarlandc.jpg

André
03-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Leroy
Really sorry to read that news.I'm sure you'll find something better real soon as talented and intelligent peoples don't stay out of work for long...
No worries,take the Summer off and ski.
Start to look in late August...

BriEOD
03-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Good luck Leroy. I'll say a prayer for you.

Farmer Ted
03-30-2006, 06:59 PM

Hope you find something soon! Did you get a severance package?

mrcrowson
03-30-2006, 08:44 PM
MAN sorry to hear that Leroy. Best of luck in your hunt.

6ballsisall
03-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Recent postings for Indy on Opsladder.com

AutoReqID 4370BR
Functional Job Title Sr. Program/ Resource Manager
Business Unit BPI
Position Location Indianapolis
State/Province of Position Indiana
Company Name Rolls-Royce Corporation
Area of Interest IS or IT or MIS
Position Type Full Time
Position Responsibilities The purpose of the Senior Program/Resource Manager role consists of two distinct components: providing Program Management services for large complex programs and managing a portfolio of projects utilizing the PMO Program/Project resource pool.

As Senior Program Manager, he/she will be responsible to apply PMO project management standards to plan, manage and complete BPI and IT projects to the highest level of project management effectiveness. This includes meeting or exceeding all project requirements including scope, quality, cost, schedule and business benefits. Develop and execute a comprehensive and realistic project plan to achieve project objectives utilizing PMO standards. Integrate project plan with other dependent projects as required. Lead project activities from project initiation (business case development) through project closure (transition to production and business case realization measurements). Form and manage geographically dispersed, cross-functional project teams that include permanent team members, part-time subject matter experts, suppliers and contractor resources, e.g. EDS. Gather, document and communicate timely, accurate project performance information utilizing standard PMO Project Management Information System software tools. Implement and maintain an integrated project change management and approval system. Monitor and control costs within authorized baseline budget. Implement corrective actions as required. Establish and maintain positive relationships and effective communication with all project stakeholders including customers, team members, management and suppliers.

As Resource Manager, he/she will be responsible for effectively managing a portfolio of projects by assigning the most appropriate Program/Project Managers to Programs/Projects; ensuring that realistic comprehensive Program/Project plans are developed and executed following PMO standards; and overall project portfolio performance.
Recruit, staff, develop and coach Program/Project Manager resource pool. Review and approve program/project plans (baseline). Review and approve program/project status reports.
Facilitate removal of program/project success barriers. Collect and communicate accurate portfolio performance on a timely basis.

10-25% travel depending on location and project assignments.
There are multiple opportunities for this role both in the US and in Derby and Bristol in the United Kingdom.
Position Requirements 15+ years successfully completing programs/projects that met, or exceeded, requirements. 5+ years successfully managing multiple concurrent programs, projects and associated resources. Project management of geographically dispersed, cross- functional project teams and stakeholders. Information Technology experience. Engineering environment a plus. Aerospace and Defense industry preferred.

Bachelors degree. Masters or MBA preferred. Strong working knowledge of Projects in a Controlled Environment (PRINCE2), Association for Project Management (APM) or Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK)

Project Management certification. PMI Project Management Professional (PMP) or APM preferred.

Job Title Sr. Strategic Sourc.Negotiator
Division Information Technology
Department Name Technology Planning
Location IN - Indianapolis
SLM Req ID 6191
AutoReqId 5239BR
Job Responsibilities Job Duties **Conduct research and analyze the relevant marketplaces **Coordinate projects and spending between centralized IT and other locations **Drive the creation of RFQ/RFPs and the analysis of responses, managing cross-functional teams **Analyze proposals, including financial analysis, in determining best options for company **Negotiate hardware, software, telecommunications, professional services and other technology agreements for Sallie Mae **Monitor and ensure compliance with agreements **Manage vendor relationships
Basic Minimum Requirements Minimum Requirements: **Bachelors Degree (MBA desirable) **Minimum 10 years Technology experience **Minimum 3 years experience negotiating contracts **Excellent communication skills **Experience creating RFPs
Preferred Requirements Preferred Qualifications: **Prior financial analysis experience **Prior experience leading cross-functional teams
Minimum Education Bachelor s Level Degree
Standard Hours 40.00
Hours of Work 8am-5pm

6ballsisall
03-30-2006, 08:48 PM
opsladder.com might be worth joining Leroy. All jobs posted are 6 figure jobs, I have been happy with the content that can be found on there.

Leroy
03-30-2006, 08:53 PM
I'll try to answer several questions here.

Harris would be nice was there many years ago! I need a good company with HQ in America, prefer me at HQ.

My friend is not a Florence native, but his father in law built the place. He is moving in from Alexandra VA, but his wife is from Smithville, tn.

Thanks for the good wishes, guess I need the job equivalent of St Joseph! Maybe I'll ask Father this week.

I will get a package, if I leave end of April, I'm still trying to find something inside also. On the skiing that was about my third thought today, why did I send out those resumes this morning, I could just ski this summer.....then I thought well, there is college money.....

Leroy
05-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the best wishes guys!

Jeff; Thanks for the ad, Program Manager job looks great, but cannot "find it" in the company. Trying opsladder now. I have 2 contacts inside Rolls Royce looking. I think opsladder is also six figure jobs is also hundredk.com jobs. I have not been impressed with them so far, but I am unwilling to pay for the premium services. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not paying. I find careerbuilder.com and company websites to be good along with Monster.com. sixfigures.com, hundredk.com only have the 100k+ jobs, but those jobs are listed other places.

I'll give an update. I had my deadline extended for 2 weeks as there is a group in THomson wanting to move me over, but all req's are on a hard freeze and they are actually looking at laying off more people in that SBU. I'm hanging on by a thread before I take my package and walk out. Will find out Tues/Wed if I'm on for short term assignment or not. I would like to work for few more weeks to suck every penny out I can before the package starts. Package is too good to pass up. Interviewed last week for Director with great local company, another interview later this week with another great company. Two other target companies that I hope to interview with before having to make a decision.

Really is a different way to search for jobs, respond to jobs and get everything set up now compared to 23 years ago! I've responded to over 50 local positions, probably 20 I would be happy with. Actually pretty good market for middle mgt roles now. I'm trying several operational role in hospitals and insurance companies.

TONYB; My friend is new arrival, but moving the family down in June. His father in law built the place.

Leroy
05-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Jeff; I did find that posting on the Rolls Royce site. Thanks!

6ballsisall
05-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Best of luck Leroy! Also might try 6figurejobs.com Its free ;)

Leroy
05-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks, one of my contacts in Rolls Royce said he thinks that is an IT job. Certainly isn't written that way but sometimes large companies grow in funny ways!

bradamerry
05-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Sorry to hear this news Leroy :( . Good luck in the searc :o , I will keep my eyes open for you man.

Leroy
05-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks Brad, it's people like you and Jeff that keep finding stuff for me! I'm not moving so has to be in Carmel/Indianapolis!

It's time for a change, 23 good years with one company....well maybe 21 good years and the last two of surviving hoping the company would turn around. They are planning to delist the stock from the exchange this summer.

phecksel
05-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Good luck with your search!

Maybe you'll be as lucky as my next door neighbor. At 11:00am he received an offer with an increase of some rediculous amount of money, and at 1:00pm, he received his layoff notice with 60 days severance.

Personally, I'm hanging on by less then a thread. Survived some pretty serious cutbacks, mostly to being in the right place at the right time. Several friends, including a Merrill Lynch VP, are strongly recommending it's time to change careers and locations. Too many roots to easily move. Although skiing for more then four months would be nice :) I've made a adhoc decision, by not making any decision...

Leroy
05-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks phecksel, I think I have been too loyal also. That is good timing. It's too bad that I cannot enjoy time off when it comes but when you are out of work it's hard to relax with your time. Thomson offered me a nice job in Hong Kong yesterday.....no way.

However every day I submit several resumes for great positions I'm sure I will love. Just takes time for them to go through the process.

6ballsisall
05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Leroy if you can post, what is the name of the company you work for? I thought you worked for RCA but then saw something about THomson. Is that Thomson learning?

zberger
05-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Leroy,

Been there twice.. and I'm 25..

Downsized once, and company got bought out the 2nd time. Lets just say getting from 22 to 25 hasn't been the easiest nor most fun road I could have taken, but I've learned alot about myself and who my real friends are.

Hope all is going well and the job search is going smoothly!

Zach

zberger
05-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Leroy if you can post, what is the name of the company you work for? I thought you worked for RCA but then saw something about THomson. Is that Thomson learning?

I believe Thomson and RCA are the same company.. probably through mergers and such.

Leroy
05-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks Zack and good luck to you! :toast:

I started out with RCA, back in '83 it was great place. Then GE to ok over ~87 and it was brutal but I did well and then GE sold us to Thomson ~89.

I did sign up for a month of Opsladder and did apply to another 9 new positions today.

Leroy,

Been there twice.. and I'm 25..

Downsized once, and company got bought out the 2nd time. Lets just say getting from 22 to 25 hasn't been the easiest nor most fun road I could have taken, but I've learned alot about myself and who my real friends are.

Hope all is going well and the job search is going smoothly!

Zach

LakePirate
05-22-2006, 10:08 PM
My latest job fell through, so I am back searching daily.

Fortunately, the Atlanta Journal and Constitution posted the top 145 public companies in Georgia yesterday. I have been hitting one site after another applying for jobs.

This sucks.

Leroy
05-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Good luck Lakepirate, many people from Thomson have moved to Atlanta area for jobs.

Leroy
05-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Yesterday was indeed my last day and I cashed in on my package. Was interviewed again before exit and another position inside, but still all req's are frozen. Their loss! I know they will call in the next 2 months.

I have two second interviews next week, both with the decision person. Both senior positions with large numbers trying to get in. At least I'm in the second cut for each.

The sad thing is I'm out of work and will be June before I ski this year....that is goofy!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Hang in there Leroy, all will be good my friend! :D

Ryan
05-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Yesterday was indeed my last day and I cashed in on my package. Was interviewed again before exit and another position inside, but still all req's are frozen. Their loss! I know they will call in the next 2 months.

I have two second interviews next week, both with the decision person. Both senior positions with large numbers trying to get in. At least I'm in the second cut for each.

The sad thing is I'm out of work and will be June before I ski this year....that is goofy!

If you get short on cash, I'll help ya sell some more trailer hitch covers to get you through.

Where are your two new prospects located?

Leroy
05-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks Ryan, I'm still living high from the last sale! I'm looking at selling my Softride bike and windsurfer, just don't use them anymore. ;)

Companies I have second interviews with, one would be about 5 minute commute, and nice bike path all the way! Second is about 30 minutes away. Other's are 20-40 minutes. I"m only looking close by. Both top picks are Director level so I'm hopeful.

bradamerry
05-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Good luck Mr. Leroy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Leroy
05-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks Brad!

Anyone know of this company? I cannot find anything on them with Google or any search!

SUMMARY

CompanyMarion-Burton Company
LocationIndianapolis, IN
IndustryConsumer Goods
Compensation$125k
Reports to VP of Programs
Date Posted05/22/06

Ryan
05-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks Brad!

Anyone know of this company? I cannot find anything on them with Google or any search!

SUMMARY

CompanyMarion-Burton Company
LocationIndianapolis, IN
IndustryConsumer Goods
Compensation$125k
Reports to VP of Programs
Date Posted05/22/06

I ran a few Google searches and only found a ton of job sites, no corp site at all. How does a Consumer Goods Co. live without a website? Maybe they are a larger holding group? Seems fishy. Do they offer flex time and ask you to cash a bunch of checks?

Leroy
05-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Same thing, I'm wondering if this is an ad to bring in resumes and people for those financial-sales jobs?

I ran a few Google searches and only found a ton of job sites, no corp site at all. How does a Consumer Goods Co. live without a website? Maybe they are a larger holding group? Seems fishy. Do they offer flex time and ask you to cash a bunch of checks?

Leroy
06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Well first offer today from JDSU. Decent offer but not outstanding, comp salary, bonus, options and 5 days to decide. Only problem is commute is 30minutes on the best of days. I really hate commute time. Trying now to get another company to commit by next Friday now.....

I'm happy to see things moving forward, this whole job search thing moves at a snails pace!

6ballsisall
06-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Well first offer today from JDSU. Decent offer but not outstanding, comp salary, bonus, options and 5 days to decide. Only problem is commute is 30minutes on the best of days. I really hate commute time. Trying now to get another company to commit by next Friday now.....

I'm happy to see things moving forward, this whole job search thing moves at a snails pace!

Congrats Leroy. Hold your cards close to your vest and keep the momemntum going! Nothing is better than having a few offers at once.

Leroy
06-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Here is the really funny one. I turn my wife's resume in to the local hospital in middle of May for position that matches her past experience very well. Keep in mind she really doesn't want to go to work and did not know that I did this. So last week they call her and today she is going in for an interview! She left smiling :)

erkoehler
06-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Glad to hear that things are looking up for you. 30 minutes isn't that bad, if that is the only offer that you get right now.

Leroy
06-22-2006, 12:42 PM
It's not only 30 minutes, no chance of bike commuting, opposite direction away from my lake. It would be close to the ski course at Shelbyville which has $25 Monday night skiing.But you are right, a job is a job!

Leroy
06-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Here is a new twist, Ingersoll Rand, where I really want to go to work for, 5 minute commute, bike path there, etc, is offering a contract position for 3-4 months and then either full time if it works out or I'm out the door........They asked me to submit a proposal back with what I want if I am interested (recommendations? last salary plus 50% for contract rate?). They have fired the last two people in this position (Program Manager Director)

Insurance is covered for next 6 months from past employer.

What do you think? Take a full time position with JDSU as CTO with long commute or Program Manager Director contract position with Ingersoll Rand?

What are key points for contract positions, I've never been a contractor?

06-27-2006, 11:31 AM
I wish I could help Leroy, but thats out of my area of knowledge. :(

Good luck! I hope the right job finds you! :toast:

LakePirate
06-27-2006, 11:44 AM
If you go to work for Ingersoll can you score me a new Bobcat?

06-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Good idea Lakey! yea, I would like a new drill. 8p

BriEOD
06-27-2006, 11:55 AM
That is a tough one Leroy. I say go with the contract. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

mitch
06-27-2006, 12:00 PM
30 mins is nothing! Fired the last 2 people?....that would worry me some. Assume you have met the person who is doing the firing? If you think you can please this person you can probably make some decent $$ for the next 4 mos. If you do a good job, is there a good chance of landing full time at IR? Good luck Leroy!~

BTW. I got a good recommendation from Gene when I was looking! :smile:

Maristar210
06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Leroy,

I would take the offer at no less than 50% above rate as premium. I would start at 75% and negotiate down if necessary. Then after you get in you can get me a job as a plant manager ;)

Good luck - Steve

jraben8
06-27-2006, 12:08 PM
I dream of a 30 minute commute...

Workin' 4 Toys
06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Take a full time position with JDSU as CTO with long commute or Program Manager Director contract position with Ingersoll Rand?
?
Correct me if I am wrong here, but wouldn't you be "out the door" if "it doesn't work out" at JDSU as well? Just an observation if you don't think you qualify.
From what HB says about you, you are "over-qualified" ;).
For the record, I love that term.:D

Ric
06-27-2006, 12:37 PM
That is a tough one Leroy. I say go with the contract. You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.
I agree with this one

Workin' 4 Toys
06-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Check these out..... CHEAP!!
Bobcat cheap (http://www.bobcatstore.com/product.html?productId=1394)

:rolleyes:

Leroy
06-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Sure, but wouldn't you rather have a Club Car golf cart?

Leroy
06-27-2006, 04:01 PM
This scares me some also. I have no fear of performing with a level field, but if the hiring manager has problems then it's an up hill battle. I interviewed with him for 2 hours and he seemed like a reasonable person. Yes the contract period is like a trial and at the end if acceptable there is a full time position. I'm guessing I would make 30-40% more for 3-4 months, but this bugs me for the philosophical viewpoint.

30 mins is nothing! Fired the last 2 people?....that would worry me some. Assume you have met the person who is doing the firing? If you think you can please this person you can probably make some decent $$ for the next 4 mos. If you do a good job, is there a good chance of landing full time at IR? Good luck Leroy!~

BTW. I got a good recommendation from Gene when I was looking! :smile:

Leroy
06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Good numbers to start with! I know at Thomson we paid contractors about 50% premium.

THis group does have 15 or so factories, I'll be looking for you!
Leroy,

I would take the offer at no less than 50% above rate as premium. I would start at 75% and negotiate down if necessary. Then after you get in you can get me a job as a plant manager ;)

Good luck - Steve

Ric
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Good numbers to start with! I know at Thomson we paid contractors about 50% premium.

THis group does have 15 or so factories, I'll be looking for you!
once you get steve all set-up, then you can start on setting me up as a vendor :D

Leroy
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM
I really have commute time. Ingersoll would be about 5-8 minutes and never traffic......

JDSU is on the south end of the I-465 beltway and I'm on the north end. It's often in gridlock or stopped due to accident. Funny how the commute time is really in this decision.

I dream of a 30 minute commute...

Leroy
06-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Another friend from Thomson is their sourcing manager!

once you get steve all set-up, then you can start on setting me up as a vendor :D

LakePirate
06-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Sure, but wouldn't you rather have a Club Car golf cart?

I'm an E-Z-Go kind of guy.

a T300 Turbo with a bucket please, I would like a/c and a radio.

Commute is huge. I went from a min of 45 minutes to a max of 15 and it allows you so much more time at home and much less stress.

Ric
06-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Another friend from Thomson is their sourcing manager!
NOW you're talkin!

you want a 5 minute commute so you can have a company cart, don't you?

Leroy
06-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Yes, you are out the door anywhere you do not perform, but the contract is a more stated "trial period" and much easier for them to let me go. I would rather have the company with more of their skin in the deal. My wife says go with JDSU. JDSU's 25k of options is influencing her!

Correct me if I am wrong here, but wouldn't you be "out the door" if "it doesn't work out" at JDSU as well? Just an observation if you don't think you qualify.
From what HB says about you, you are "over-qualified" ;).
For the record, I love that term.:D

Kell
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I have not read the entire thread but some quick thoughts that come to mind with respect to the contract position are:
1. Will the time spent as an IC apply toward participation in 401k/profit sharing plan;
2. Same as one above but with respect to health/disability/life insurance (don't know state law for your area with respect to open enrollment periods.
3. If your area is an "at will" state, as suggested by another TT member, the only difference b/w IC and employee is with respect to the employer's obligations to fund state unemployement insurance, workman's comp, state/fed tax withholding, etc... for employees and said obligations not applicable for ICs. IC typically are responsible for all healthcare and tax withholding.
4. I don't know your line of work but will the services provided by you have any intellectual property rights that you may want to protect?
5. I don't have a feeling for the 50% level Leroy, so I'll defer on that one.

Best of luck with this.

6ballsisall
06-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Good to hear you have options Leroy! Look longer out than a few months and decide which position you think would be more rewarding to you financially, career wise, etc... Indiana is an "at will" state so in reality, you could just as easily be out the door with the salary job as the contract job (not saying you won't perform, I know you, and know you will) so I wouldn't get to caught up with the contract thing. Questions I think I'd ask about the contract job:

1. If after 4 months the position becomes an employment situation what will the comp package be?
2. Is the hiring manager willing to put IN WRITING what expectations there are that you'd have to meet to gain the employment
3. Get a synopsis of why the past 2 people didn't cut the mustard in the role. Listen carefully not to his answer but how he gives the answer. ;)
4. Why should you take this "leap of faith" vs. taking other offers which start as salary type opportunities.

The contract towards full time employment is an interesting concept in the level you are at. Most companies today have some sort of "get to know you" type policy, 90 days to maybe 6 months. If the last two guys were "duds" he might be a little gun shy and using the contract scenario to make sure he finds the right person before going full bore.

Hard to say with the little bit of information given here and most importantly given we weren't in there with you during the meetings but I can't help wonder if this tactic isn't possibly a way for them to see who is "hungriest" for the job. If it was me and I was seriously interested in the role I'd let them know I was interested but be a little coy and not show my hand how interested I was.

Cloaked
06-28-2006, 12:51 AM
.......What are key points for contract positions, I've never been a contractor?I have been a contractor for over 20 years. No key points that I have found yet other than when I'm done on a job, I get to return to TN for R&R until the next assignment or placement. That within itself has become an attraction for me to stay in consulting.

I'd go with what I felt right, being the challange of I-R. I'd take the job and never look back.

You have the look Leroy! Go for it. :headbang:

bkhallpass
06-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Consult your accountant and/or tax attorney. I have a friend who left a VP level job at a high tech firm to become a consultant. While making "less" money, he kept far more of the money he made.

Your car and insurance can be registered with your consultancy business and written off above the line. Mileage from the time you leave the house can be written off. Many of the meals you would pay for anyway can be written off. Entertainment and
"recruiting" of new clients can be written off. When you travel, just by stopping by a business or two and dropping off a card or resume you can right off all or portions of your trip. Also, you can set up and SEP account. This allows you to put away up to 20% of your income in a pretax retirement account. I think it caps at 200K income, but that is still 40K per year that you can put away pretrax which is far better than you can do with and IRA or even a 401K. Under the right scenario, you can write off a portion of your home as and office, etc. You will pay the self-employment tax and pay your own med benefits, but again, the write-offs can be so extensive that you end up far in a much better financial situation as an independent contractor. Most
of the write-offs are above the line so you see a true 100% write-off. It is worth investigating financially. BKH

Maristar210
06-28-2006, 06:24 AM
Consult your accountant and/or tax attorney. I have a friend who left a VP level job at a high tech firm to become a consultant. While making "less" money, he kept far more of the money he made.

Your car and insurance can be registered with your consultancy business and written off above the line. Mileage from the time you leave the house can be written off. Many of the meals you would pay for anyway can be written off. Entertainment and
"recruiting" of new clients can be written off. When you travel, just by stopping by a business or two and dropping off a card or resume you can right off all or portions of your trip. Also, you can set up and SEP account. This allows you to put away up to 20% of your income in a pretax retirement account. I think it caps at 200K income, but that is still 40K per year that you can put away pretrax which is far better than you can do with and IRA or even a 401K. Under the right scenario, you can write off a portion of your home as and office, etc. You will pay the self-employment tax and pay your own med benefits, but again, the write-offs can be so extensive that you end up far in a much better financial situation as an independent contractor. Most
of the write-offs are above the line so you see a true 100% write-off. It is worth investigating financially. BKH

Good detailed advice there BKH! Leroy, does your spouse has medical coverage? This may alter it a bit more than the commute?

Steve

Steve

School Skier
06-28-2006, 07:20 AM
I was in your shoes in the mid 1980s. Hang in there!

Leroy
06-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Great advise everyone, thanks very much. I'm hoping it's 3 months as contractor and then go full time employee with all benefits so I'm hoping bkhallpass advise will not come into play. I have a friend in Seattle that is doing just what you describe.

Just went through calculation and the regular salary plus 75% is justified when I add in everything.

IR is certainly the better company long term. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IR&t=my&l=on&z=m&q=l&c

(http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IR&t=my&l=on&z=m&q=l&c)
JSDU's division here has had 3 names in the past 8 years including one bankruptcy period and while many people have went there I don't know of any that last more than 2-4 years.

My wife is not working, but may go back for 1-2 days a week (no benefits). She does not want to work full time and I agree.

At IR, one guy just couldn't handle this position, was a plant manager and could not manage a geographically diverse team. I'm going to see what happened to the second person today. I've read also where senior positions were being screened this way more and more, but did not think this was at that level :)

Cloaked
06-28-2006, 09:53 AM

of the write-offs are above the line so you see a true 100% write-off. It is worth investigating financially. BKHYes and no. Been there too and as appealing as it sounds, often qualifiers become grey areas of said strategy. And as well, one has to consider the tax status of any contract, beit W-2 or 1099. Again, I have been all down these pig trails and I still find no key points of attraction for my preferences.

Three words ==> Win the lottery... :D

LakePirate
06-28-2006, 10:40 AM
1099 = Estimated Tax

You have to pay it 4 times a year. You also have to be a very organized person to keep up with mileage and receipts.

I am on the Sporty Plan

Trying to win the lotto

Leroy
06-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, Ingersoll is dragging their heels, sent contract offer to them Wed and they are still reviewing. JDSU has upped their offer. Trying to get a final number from IR today, seems like past salary plus 75% was about right for contract.

Hopefully by end of today I've landed something.

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Well, Ingersoll is dragging their heels, sent contract offer to them Wed and they are still reviewing. JDSU has upped their offer. Trying to get a final number from IR today, seems like past salary plus 75% was about right for contract.

Hopefully by end of today I've landed something.

We're keeping our fingers crossed for you Leroy!!

Leroy
06-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks JR!

Yesterday Indianapolis Power and Light (electric company) contacted me to interview for Director of Projects & Contracts position. I'm guessing I'll be getting calls like this for the next few months since I've sent out ~75 resumes. Who knows I may still needs them!

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks JR!

Yesterday Indianapolis Power and Light (electric company) contacted me to interview for Director of Projects & Contracts position. I'm guessing I'll be getting calls like this for the next few months since I've sent out ~75 resumes. Who knows I may still needs them!

Thats great! Nothing better than lots of options....... You've got momentum, your likely to get alot of those calls right now!

Leroy
07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Well good news, I accepted the position with JDSU, starting 7/31 as the CTO of the division here in Indy. :woohoo: :banana:

Position created for me by me with the hiring manager so I only have myself to blame if it isn't what I want! For reference this position came about from a Thomson friend that told my hiring manager at JDSU about me. Adding credibility to the saying it's who you know.

The down side is this is going to put a cramp in my lunch league soccer and possible 6AM skiing.

Thanks for all of the help and support guys!!!!!

bcampbe7
07-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Congrats Leroy!
If you need a Network Engineer at JDSU, let me know. ;)

André
07-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Congrats and good luck!
(Should i buy JDSU shares now that you work there?)

07-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Well good news, I accepted the position with JDSU, starting 7/31 as the CTO of the division here in Indy. :woohoo: :banana:

Position created for me by me with the hiring manager so I only have myself to blame if it isn't what I want! For reference this position came about from a Thomson friend that told my hiring manager at JDSU about me. Adding credibility to the saying it's who you know.

The down side is this is going to put a cramp in my lunch league soccer and possible 6AM skiing.

Congrats Leroy. Time to buy up a ski my brutha!!!:D

Maristar210
07-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Leroy,

Good for you congrats.

What about my new Plant Manager position? I only need a new truck and $300k.

Create that position will ya?;)

Steve

07-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Leroy,

Good for you congrats.

Steve
ya steve! good idea. and I think you should have a UP rep that can monitor things from da UP. I will only need $200K and NO truck. I will be your long distance beeotch slave.:D

JimN
07-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Leroy- congrats on the new position.

However, tell them that I want the money I lost when their stock went to $0 in 2002.

BeavenX5
07-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Congratulations.

Now you can enjoy a little vacation for the next 2 weeks. Go skiing:steering:

Kell
07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Congrats Leroy and enjoy your time off before you start you new job!

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 12:13 PM

Nicely done, Leroy. Congratulations!

slink976
07-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Sorry to bear bad news on you guys, but was told today I have until end of April to find another job. Two thirds of the business unit I transferred into in Dec is being sold by June of this year. The rest of Thomson will be sold yet I think. So I'm in a scramble to find another position inside, very tough since the Indy site has reduced from ~2200 to ~500 over the past 4 years or look outside. I've shot out a bunch of resumes this morning, but if anyone knows of any Program Manager/Director/Operations positions let me know. I'm still trying to stay in Carmel/Indianapolis area for now. I would commute and did that for the past two years to California.

Wish me luck!
Live in San diego and work for EDS float me your resume and i'll submit it for a PM position we have open. it is a work from home position.

Lee

slink976
07-11-2006, 12:18 PM
just made it to the bottom, good luck on the new job!

BriEOD
07-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Congrats Leroy!!

Leroy
07-11-2006, 02:22 PM
They are a Cramer recommendation for what that is worth! If I were not getting options I would buy stock....not because I'm going there! Stock is around 2.2 now, we'll see in one year.

Congrats and good luck!
(Should i buy JDSU shares now that you work there?)

Leroy
07-11-2006, 02:23 PM
They have open req's for 10 more engineers! But I would rather move to your area and get a house on a nice TN lake!!! I was looking at glass last weekend on Melton Hill Lake.....on Saturday and Sunday, no boats on the lake......

Congrats Leroy!
If you need a Network Engineer at JDSU, let me know. ;)

Leroy
07-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I'll let them know Jim.....been there myself, really stinks holding those worthless shares.

Leroy- congrats on the new position.

However, tell them that I want the money I lost when their stock went to $0 in 2002.

Leroy
07-11-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm on it! How do you like to be paid in $100's or $20's? :)

It is a small division, only about $75M in sales but growing pretty much every year.

Leroy,

Good for you congrats.

Steve

bradamerry
07-12-2006, 07:37 AM
glad to hear the good news uncle Leroy.... Hope all goes well. Now get down here for a Greeson trip.;)

Leroy
10-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Three months on the job and could not have found a better fit! High tech, innovative company with great people to work around. Challenging me to the limit to learn new stuff daily!

Downsides, two weeks vacation again and 35 minute commute......

LakePirate
10-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Rub it in.

Glad you are doing well.

Leroy
10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
I was pretty lucky in what I found! It just takes time and a lot of hard work searching. I also realized I could have easily been searching for 6-12 months.

LakePirate
10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I was pretty lucky in what I found! It just takes time and a lot of hard work searching. I also realized I could have easily been searching for 6-12 months.

yep .

I have some things in the funnel, so maybe they will work out.

Leroy
11-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Well bad news again. After 23 years with Thomson/RCA and 15 months with JDSU...

After a great review ~3 months ago, a pay raise and a promotion to lead of the research team one month ago, I was told out of the blue this morning that they are reorganizing and my position was eliminated. My joy with JDSU is gone. Pretty poor way to handle senior level positions.

Job hunting again in Indianapolis :(

milkmania
11-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Well bad news again. After 23 years with Thomson/RCA and 15 months with JDSU...

After a great review ~3 months ago, a pay raise and a promotion to lead of the research team one month ago, I was told out of the blue this morning that they are reorganizing and my position was eliminated. My joy with JDSU is gone. Pretty poor way to handle senior level positions.

Job hunting again in Indianapolis :(

I hate the holidays!:mad:

east tx skier
11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
That stinks, Leroy. Hang in there. The next great job is just around the corner.

Sodar
11-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Jeez!! That is too bad Leroy!! I am sure there are other positions waiting for ya... especially with your level of experience.

Leroy
11-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks, there are always great people on here you can count on!

STLer645
11-16-2007, 04:48 PM
PM at you Leroy

André
11-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Sorry to read this Leroy.
I'm sure something better is just around the corner...:)

RexDog1
11-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Leroy i am so sorry if there is something I can do to help, just ask:o

Ric
11-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks, there are always great people on here you can count on! not cool, hang in there fella! How long do you have there?

Leroy
11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Ric; I was at JDSU for 15 months so very small severance package but into next year.

I'm still stunned at how this happened. 1 year review glowing, pay raise, stock options, grants, and with no warning told my position is gone. I really don't get it, but it's their loss.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Sounds like yet another perfect example of "OUTSOURCING GONE MAD". :mad:
I REALLY HATE hearing this stuff, Good luck in your venture, and hope it all works out.
Let me know if there is something I can do for you.

Slinkyredfoot
11-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Leroy,
Sorry to hear the bad news, what can I say....If I can help you in anyway here in Indy I will be more than happy to do this...this sucks my friend...

tex
11-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Leroy,

Sorry to hear about it. Things will turn around. This is coming from a guy who has been through a lot in health and work in the last 2 years. Keep the positive attitude and if you need someone to rant and cuss to, I'm usually hanging around!

lanier92prostar
11-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Hang in there Leroy, you will find a better job shortly. Best of Luck to you!

Bruce
11-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Leroy, your faith will get you thru this. I will certainly be praying for you as I am sure others here will.( Jesus Freak pls put him on the prayer list. Thanks)

Good luck and God Bless.

Ryan
11-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Sad to hear Leroy. I hope you find something as appealing just as quickly again! Hopefully for a longer term.

It must be in the air. For the second time in 2007 I received a re-org. I thought I was out of a job for the holidays and after moving accross the country. I was granted a position handling CVS and Walgreens just last week though. I didn't have to submit or interview for it like normal, that's nice, but I'm irked because I pitched for a higher-pay job and had no word back, communication and rumors through the whole process have been horrible.

Ryan
11-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Duplicate post .

tex
11-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm awaiting news after interviewing last Wed.

Leroy
11-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks Bruce, that helps more than anything!

Good luck Ryan, I had a friend at Eli Lilly tell me the same thing, re-orgs are happening there and there is no warning and no 6-8 weeks to find another internal position.

Good luck Tex, will be praying for you! I'm amazed at how slow companies can move sometimes, especially during hiring.

Between Friday and over the weekend I turned in for 3 great positions and couple that could be good. Search, apply and wait!

6ballsisall
11-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Jeez, I am just getting caught up on the board and saw this Leroy. Sorry to hear it, not for you, but for the company that was unintelligent enough to select you for a downsizing. It's completely THEIR loss!

My company is doing downsizing too, seems everyone I talk to is doing similar things.

Sounds like a great time for you to go out and start a biz of your own! The only downsizing or reorganizing could happen if you wish it to happen! ;)

Best wishes!

trickskier
11-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Extremely sorry to hear about this Leroy. I've been in your position a time or two. Just remember the cream rises to the top................BEST OF LUCK!!!

wgwollet
11-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Leroy sorry, did you get a job yet?

I will be losing mine on 12/31 from downsizing too. I am a ME with a auto company in the Indy area.

Bill

Leroy
11-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Bill; It has only been two days since I found out I'm going to be out of a job.

Full scale search is on. Let me know if you see any good electrical engineering positions Bill and I'll send any ME positions to you I see. I'm in Carmel and trying to stay as close to home as possible.

Monte
11-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Darn fellas I hate to hear about both of your situations.. Sometimes headhunters are good people to know. They take some of your $ but they know where the best positions are and talk to the HR people in big industry every day. For what its worth. good luck..

6ballsisall
11-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Leroy in case you need it, you can't go wrong with these sites.

www.theladders.com
www.execunet.com
www.sixfigurejobs.com (my least favorite of the three)

Leroy
02-08-2008, 08:15 PM
An update, seems like I am busier when I don't have a job, guess I'm just so eager to work again for some reason.

I've had 4 interviews resulting in 3 offers, Ingersoll Rand (diversified industrials), Beckman Coulter (medical devices), and small company here in town. Typical interview is two phone screens, in person with manager and team, and follow-up with senior mgt. The 4th interview was with my first employer Thomson and after the interview nothing, and just as well as they are going through major re-org for the umpteenth time...

Both IR and BC are almost identical jobs, both companies make a lot of money and have done great for years, same salary, IR offers 3 weeks vacation BC 2, IR is 5 minute commute and BC about 25 minutes. Both are growing their business here significantly. Great people at each company and I already know 8-12 people at each company. I think I could flip a coin and be happy at either place but leaning toward IR.

The 3rd offer is a small company, 18 people, $4M in sales and been in business 30 years. I would be their Director engineering, big fish small bowl, but really nice team and significantly more money and big bonus opportunity. Coming from large corp career this one scares me, but interests me the most in terms of the work.

Comments? I need to make a decision by end of next week.

André
02-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Glad to read that Leroy!
IR sounds really good to me.Well known company and they build good stuff! ...and a quick commute=more time on the water!
Good luck!

TMCNo1
02-08-2008, 09:06 PM
My wife just found out she will be losing her job with GMAC Insurance after 32 years. Outsourcing all their work to India in as few as 6 to 12 weeks. She can retire so she's gonna try, but may have to take the severance package if she doesn't get her retirement decision made in time, but it's her decision.

Leroy,
It's good to hear you've got some prospects and I know you'll make the right decision.

6ballsisall
02-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Congrats Leroy! It's a good place to be to have decisions like this to make!

I hope I am in that place in a week or two here..

sdesmond
02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
My wife just found out she will be losing her job with GMAC Insurance after 32 years. Outsourcing all their work to India in as few as 6 to 12 weeks. She can retire so she's gonna try, but may have to take the severance package if she doesn't get her retirement decision made in time, but it's her decision.

I love when they do this. Another person on the other line I will not be able to understand. Wouldnt you think they get tired of repeating everything they say twice? I feel for all the people that have had their jobs out sourced. Its not right at all. Its unfortunate that americans want to prosper at the expense of others. I wish you all well in your job search, and your spouses too.

Maristar210
02-08-2008, 11:58 PM

stuartmcnair
02-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Leroy,

I went from a large corporate environment (Coca-Cola) to a smaller family owned business. It was not the best move I could have made professionally at the time but I couldn't imagine a better situation now. I am seven minutes from work living on our dream property with the horse in the front yard and no houses in sight. Also five minutes from the lake.

The nice thing about smaller companies is that you can grow quickly if you are good at what you do and more opportunities are available.

I can't say if that would work out for you but its something you should look at.

Stuart

pilot02
02-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Leroy, umm my preference is biased but I say IR!
Reason is this, they make one hell of a 1/2" impact wrench for the money...
Helluva reason I know but having worked in the automotive industry for years, Quality speaks volumes and I'd take many of their products over the so-called "top-dogs" any day of the week..
And yes, I do perssonally own some of the so called creme de la creme...

pilot02
02-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Leroy, umm my preference is biased but I say IR!
Reason is this, they make one hell of a 1/2" impact wrench for the money...
Helluva reason I know but having worked in the automotive industry for years, Quality speaks volumes and I'd take many of their products over the so-called "top-dogs" any day of the week..
And yes, I do perssonally own some of the so called creme de la creme...

Anywho, best of luck with your decision and umm remember what's truly important and get your tail on da lake!! ;-P

trickskier
02-09-2008, 05:52 AM
I have worked for both large and small companies and prefer the smaller ones. My personal experience has been that the larger companies focus more on profits than the individual. If you don't meet their expectations they'll replace you without remorse. If you do meet their expectations they continue to raise the bar for compensation and bonuses.

Truly your choice, but go with your gut feelling on where you think you will be most comfortable and have the best career opportunities.

Good Luck!!!

pilot02
02-09-2008, 06:05 AM
Threadjack!
Hey Trick, Are you like me, just getting ready for sleep after a long night or an early riser??? lol

Anywho, hope ya have a great morning!

Griff

trickskier
02-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Threadjack!
Hey Trick, Are you like me, just getting ready for sleep after a long night or an early riser??? lol

Anywho, hope ya have a great morning!

Griff
An early riser :D ...........Have a Great Day!!!

pilot02
02-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Have a great day yourself Trick!
Not sure about attendance at CSM this year. If I make the trip, my son won't be with me.. He'll be at Disney for a school trip (da turkey)
If ya head to ATL, let me know...

TMCNo1
02-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Thank you Steve! Don't sugar coat it, tell me how you really feel!

trickskier
02-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Have a great day yourself Trick!
Not sure about attendance at CSM this year. If I make the trip, my son won't be with me.. He'll be at Disney for a school trip (da turkey)
If ya head to ATL, let me know...
Will do my friend.........Sure hope you can make CSM Skidog and I will be there for sure!!!

Thread Jack Over........Sorry Leroy!!!

Lennyp04
02-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Sorry to hear about this Leroy. I wish you the best on finding a new job. Hang in, stay strong!
-Lenny

suedv
02-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Leroy, that really bites. I hope you find something really good, really soon.

mrcrowson
02-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Leroy,
What is going on here. I have been with out a job for a month +/- now and it really sucks. I have been laying out some more tiles for our business to walk on and I have one job to install when it gets a little warmer out. I have a neighbor across the street from me that works for IR in Carmel and I never see him. I hope things work out. You come work for me and my business, Pay is none but should pick up soon.

Leroy
02-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the updates, IR does have a great name and you see it in the people.

Good luck to your wife Harold.

You are almost sounding like Jim Steve! :)

Pilot and Andre, appreciate the IR vote of confidence.

Beckman Coulter is moving their centrifuge plant from Palo Alto to here and will employ about 400 people here. My position would be supporting this plant and other BC facilities around the US in technical operations.

Appreciate your insight Stuart, my gut tells me to take a chance on them. I would be setting up everything in engineering and have a team of about 5. Very good bonus plan, very tied to sales.

Lenny and Sue, I think I am on the good side of this problem now, just making sure I pick the right position.

I think I would be happy in any of the positions professionally and they are close in salary now. Will have to find something that makes the decision for me this week......

cbryan70
02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Tell us how you really feel! Were you drinking with HB last night? :friday:

Maristar210
02-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Somebody throw in the crying towel............

cbryan70
02-09-2008, 10:26 AM
awww did you edit your post

Maristar210
02-09-2008, 11:11 AM
awww did you edit your post

I was asked to. Since you asked and no one asked you. Did you ask me or are you just a bayliner sporting devil in a blue dress looking for UMP in a superhero costume????

Confused yet?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

east tx skier
02-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Leroy, I'm happy for your new opportunity.

Harold, I'm sorry for you guys.

Steve???

Leroy
02-12-2008, 05:11 PM
IR called and I verbally accepted with IR but told them one company was still working on my counter. Then the small company came back later this afternoon meeting my the salary I had requested.........will decide by 10AM tomorrow morning.........

Any other small business stories out there?

flipper
02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Different types of work, but have worked for both big and small companies. I would much rather work for a small company.
1. you have a face, your not just a number
2. they tend to take care of you better
3. not so much of the higher up making rules and ways of doing things, when they know nothing about YOUR job.
4. more understanding and willing to work with you.

I could go on and on....

3event
02-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I've worked for two of the world's largest companies, for a small one owned by a holding company, and for a small div of a conglomerate.

Large companies - lots of processes, overhead issues. Possibly slower to market and less nimble, maybe even frustratingly so. It used to be more true that larger companies had more money to spend, so you had plenty of R&D, and the latest innovations in communications and IT to make you more productive. Maybe still true, but companies don't spend money like they used to.

Small is more enjoyable in my experience - more latitude and authority, more "just do it", more visibility for high performers, more direct from the top support for high performers. Less paralysis by analysis, fewer crazy processes and time consuming clerical issues. Consider how/when you could get to an equity position - compare that to the large company scenario , if that's a possible goal.

One risk with small is that the owner(s) sell out, or the division is reorged - merged with sister companies. Happened in both cases for me. So I had to look elsewhere when the future of what was left turned dim.

Working for a bigger company is OK, and if you have spent some quality time in the small company environment you can be quite valuable to the big one if you can handle the culture shift. Should more leverage to offer better benefits and such, but EVERYONE has cut back in those areas, esp healthcare.

If I were to pick my next employer out, it would be a manufacturer $100M or better in a well established market niche in a not-so-cyclical industry. I would avoid foreign ownership if the parent company plays a strong role in running the operation. If only wishes could come true.....

6ballsisall
02-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Thats GREAT Leroy! My take on the company situation would be:

If the vision of the smaller organization supports your vision (whether that be big growth, stability, or whatever else) go with that IF the culture is something you'd like to be involved with.

As you've experienced with big companies (me too!) you are just a number.

peason
02-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I now work for a small company after working for the largest in my industry. I went from management back to sales - I now have a lot more freedom to run my territory as I see fit. Pay is very good, benefits are also very good. My former employer has gone through a lot of changes with a recent merger.
I enjoy working for a smaller out fit. I do hope we stay a small company, but the better we do the more our competitors want to buy us.
Glad to hear you have a decision to make, even though it is a tough one at least you have options. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

trickskier
02-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Congratulations Leroy!!!

whitedog
02-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Great to hear all the good choices. Good Luck Leroy!

I have worked sales for both big and small companies, work in agricultural supply, best experience is current position. A great combination of management and sales. The cooperative has grown to $250 Mil in sales our division just over $40,000,000.00. i work in our smallest location but also have sustained the largest % growth the last 3 years. I am moree than a # as our division's sales staff is small. I have freedom to run my location and territory as I see fit with little interference from my superiors. Will never go back to the big company even if more $ were offered up front. Work more hours now but have much more fun. :cool:

Leroy
02-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Unless something changes I'll be with the smaller company reporting to the CEO as Director of Engineering. I really felt a connection with the product, the people, and the owner. Everything we talked about in the position I had done before and liked doing. Maybe the smaller company read the book PeopleWare as other than the factor workers everyone had a office with a door. Small cost to give everyone a nice workspace and I do think people work differently.

Great input flipper, 3event, JR, pearson and whitedog! Thanks trickskier! I'm surprised that I'm hesitant to take 30% more salary for a much better job, but the big guys come in with full packages describing everything and this company obviously is not so structured.

whitedog
02-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Good luck with the new venture. Its always a challenge to change forced or chosen (been on both sides of that coin myself). Sound like you made a good choice. Small is not always bad. Best advice I have learned is ina small company even if you are a supervisor be a great listener and our division or company will grow from the input of all. Big companies tend to be strangled by to much hierarchy and not enough hand on from the management.:rolleyes:

6ballsisall
02-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Good luck with the new venture. Its always a challenge to change forced or chosen (been on both sides of that coin myself). Sound like you made a good choice. Small is not always bad. Best advice I have learned is ina small company even if you are a supervisor be a great listener and our division or company will grow from the input of all. Big companies tend to be strangled by to much hierarchy and not enough hand on from the management.:rolleyes:

Amen brutha.......I could go on for days.........:rolleyes:

erkoehler
02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Unless something changes I'll be with the smaller company reporting to the CEO as Director of Engineering. I really felt a connection with the product, the people, and the owner. Everything we talked about in the position I had done before and liked doing. Maybe the smaller company read the book PeopleWare as other than the factor workers everyone had a office with a door. Small cost to give everyone a nice workspace and I do think people work differently.

Great input flipper, 3event, JR, pearson and whitedog! Thanks trickskier! I'm surprised that I'm hesitant to take 30% more salary for a much better job, but the big guys come in with full packages describing everything and this company obviously is not so structured.

So, we'll see your employed self at Mag Mania?

Leroy
02-12-2008, 11:54 PM
I hope so! Maybe even another MasterCraft gathering or two!

So, we'll see your employed self at Mag Mania?

erkoehler
02-13-2008, 12:02 AM
I hope so! Maybe even another MasterCraft gathering or two!

Your just starting with the company, lets not get carried away with vacation just yet :)

Leroy
02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Completed the offer yesterday and start 2/25! Everything worked out but it was hard to tell Ingersoll Rand no.....

6ballsisall
02-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Congratulations Leroy!!! Crack open a brew tonight a celebrate!!

Sodar
02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Congrats Leroy!

I actually thought of you this morning... I heard on Bloomberg this morning, that IR's quarterly international profits were up 30%.

I am sure you will be very happy with the smaller company. I made the transition back in October and could not be happier.

Good Luck!

flipper
02-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Congrats!!!!

Sounds like a great deal leroy...Good luck

Oh, ummmm......shouldn't the name of the thread be changed to "Good news"?

TMCNo1
02-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Completed the offer yesterday and start 2/25! Everything worked out but it was hard to tell Ingersoll Rand no.....

That's great! :cool:

Monte
02-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Congrats Leroy!!!!

Leroy
02-14-2008, 05:45 PM
If only I had the power :)

Oh, ummmm......shouldn't the name of the thread be changed to "Good news"?

mrcrowson
02-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Good Deal & Good Luck

:woohoo:

Sodar
02-14-2008, 05:49 PM
If only I had the power :)

Boy, wouldn't that be cool! ;)

André
02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Congrats and good luck Leroy!:)

M-Funf
02-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Congrats on the new job, Leroy!

Wish I had seen this thread earlier. I have always enjoyed working for small companies over large ones. I started at a small company out of college. It was a private company with about 50 employees that designed and built underground locating equipment. I quickly ran up the ranks and had pretty broad experience in many roles.

Then I started with Medical Devices (surgical instruments for the most part), and have been in the field for 18 years. Each of the companies I worked for started small, then was either sold to larger companies, or had an IPO. When they got larger and more bureaucratic, I usually got frustrated with how things slowed down and left.

I can't say enough about being a "fit" with a new company. I tend to go with my gut about how the interaction is during the interview process and other correspondences, and how I feel about the products and business model.

Great to hear about the new job...go kick some butt!

Ric
02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Leroy, I cannot help but notice that the kickass deals keep coming your way man! Congrats

TMCNo1
02-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Leroy, I cannot help but notice that the kickass deals keep coming your way man! Congrats

It could be the networking from being a moderator! Look what it got Eastie!:D