PDA

View Full Version : What Slalom Course Manufacturer?

LakePirate
03-29-2006, 10:46 PM
So I am looking at Portable Slalom Courses and I have created this spreadsheet to compare. If anyone has any experience with any of these brands or models or has any additional models or manufacturers please let me know. Just for UMP's sake I will add a poll

Slalom Course Spread Sheet ManufacturerModelPriceDescription Insta-Slalom 101$610.00Poly rope Mainline P101$695.00Poly rope Mainline w/ Buoys, mesh bag and anchors 101-SS$810.00Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline p101-SS$895.00Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline w/ buoys, mesh bag and anchors EZ - Slalom Standard$619.00Poly rope Mainline Compact$629.00Poly rope Mainline Standard Turnkey$809.00Poly rope Mainline w/ Buoys, Mesh bag and river anchors Compact Turnkey$819.00Poly rope Mainline w/ Buoys, Mesh bag and river anchors Standard SS$839.00Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline Compact SS$849.00Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline Standard Turnkey SS$1,029.00Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline w/ buoys, mesh bag and river anchors Compact Turnkey SS$1,039.00Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline w/ buoys, mesh bag and river anchors Poly Pre-Gates$120.00 Poly Pre-Gates w/ buoys$130.00 SS Pre-Gates$420.00 SS Pre-Gates / buoys Accufloat SP 101$845.00Super portable six buoy slalom course/fully telescopic arms Stainless Steel SC 108$645.00Six buoy slalom course SC 110 $975.00Six buoy Double River Current course for tidal rivers SC 113$185.00(2) 55 Meter sections (includes 4 eyebolts/wing nuts)

erkoehler
03-29-2006, 10:46 PM
If your looking for used, there are a few on www.ski-it-again.com .

LakePirate
03-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Damn, the spread sheet didn't work out so well.....

I will try and figure something out.

erkoehler
03-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Try copying and pasting it into paint somehow, and then saving it as a JPEG?????

LakePirate
03-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Try copying and pasting it into paint somehow, and then saving it as a JPEG?????

Tried that, but it is still too large??
When I get it small enough to post it is too small to see.

I will try it like this

Slalom Course Spread Sheet

Manufacturer

Model

Price

Description

Insta-Slalom

$610.00

Poly rope Mainline

P101

$695.00

Poly rope Mainline w/ Buoys, mesh bag and anchors

101-SS

$810.00

Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline

p101-SS

$895.00

Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline w/ buoys, mesh bag and anchors

EZ - Slalom

Standard

$619.00

Poly rope Mainline

Compact

$629.00

Poly rope Mainline

Standard Turnkey

$809.00

Poly rope Mainline w/ Buoys, Mesh bag and river anchors

Compact Turnkey

$819.00

Poly rope Mainline w/ Buoys, Mesh bag and river anchors

Standard SS

$839.00

Compact SS

$849.00

Standard Turnkey SS

$1,029.00

Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline w/ buoys, mesh bag and river anchors

Compact Turnkey SS

$1,039.00

Stainless Steel vinyl coated mainline w/ buoys, mesh bag and river anchors

Poly Pre-Gates

$120.00

Poly Pre-Gates w/ buoys

$130.00

SS Pre-Gates

$420.00

SS Pre-Gates / buoys

Accufloat

SP 101

$845.00

Super portable six buoy slalom course/fully telescopic arms Stainless Steel

SC 108

$645.00

Six buoy slalom course

SC 110

$975.00

Six buoy Double River Current course for tidal rivers

SC 113

$185.00

(2) 55 Meter sections (includes 4 eyebolts/wing nuts)

erkoehler
03-29-2006, 11:03 PM
If you can email me the file, that would be great....I just want to see it for personal use: EricKoehler8@hotmail.com

Farmer Ted
03-29-2006, 11:11 PM
I have an Insta-Slalom it's not too hard to set up.

I would recommend the first time you set it up.

1. Be sober or somewhat sober

2. Have plenty of day light

3. Be sober

4. If you have a pontoon boat or the Wildman's Duck boat it makes it alot easier. Especially if said boat has a trolling motor

5. Did I mention being sober

All said, the first time we put it out, we were drunk or at least half way there and it was dark. Took probably 40 minutes if I recall correctly and the course only had a slight dog leg left (I think the Wildman's mind was on golf) that needed an adjustment in the morning.

If you were any closer I'd sell you mine but you can get a great deal from Insta-Slalom if you're a USA Waterski member.

BuoyChaser
03-29-2006, 11:12 PM
every INT tournament (except those with permanent setups) use an EZ-Slalom course...IMO this is the best course...at somepoint you're going to need to do maintenance on the course and need to have quick, reliable service to get your course back up and running...Ed is the man, he's the owner of EZ-Slalom and does everything in his power to help you out, he's a skier like the rest of us...

check out his website at http://www.ez-slalom.com or call him 1-800-216-4461

he can ship completed systems or you can buy the plans to make yourself, shipping is actually very reasonable for how big the PVC can be...

Leroy
03-29-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm looked at it enough to realize you can make your own for probably half price, but best to buy a few key pieces from EZ slalom.

LakePirate
03-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Didn't Rod or someone try that and say it cost more at the end of the day?

6ballsisall
03-29-2006, 11:27 PM

U sure it was Rod? That guy has more money than sense :D

LakePirate
03-29-2006, 11:28 PM
U sure it was Rod? That guy has more money than sense :D

Not that I disagree :D but for some strange reason I think it was him.

88 PS190
03-30-2006, 02:09 AM
I've also looked into it, and the main issues are
1. its alot of rope/cable, and takes alot of space to properly measure and lay out the thing to build it.
2. The pvc arms aren't standard schedule 80 pvc from lowes/homedepot.
3. Anchors are still a very expensive piece.
4 Bouys are still expensive.
5. boat guides are still expensive.
6. if you buy from them you get the garden hose reel and don't bother pretending its not helpful, and therefore not buying it.

Accufloat is basically defunct, unless they started up again their systems are not very available. They're also more complex, and not too portable, they are however submersible. So if you want a submersible you are pretty much looking into buying one of theirs used, or designing your own.

Bonuses to the ez-slalom, poly rope uses the zip ties, not metal crimps that does help prevent wear into the poly line.

bonuses to instaslalom - floatation within the bouy arms keeps them from sagging in the middle, makes them more bouyant.

Ez-slalom does have a better anchor, i've used those navy anchors that instaslalom sells before, they're not very good, the ones ez-slalom sells are heavier and bite quicker, don't believe it? tie one on your anchor line to your boat and give it a try in some waves.

BuoyChaser
03-30-2006, 11:42 AM
I've also looked into it, and the main issues are
1. its alot of rope/cable, and takes alot of space to properly measure and lay out the thing to build it.
2. The pvc arms aren't standard schedule 80 pvc from lowes/homedepot.
3. Anchors are still a very expensive piece.
4 Bouys are still expensive.
5. boat guides are still expensive.
6. if you buy from them you get the garden hose reel and don't bother pretending its not helpful, and therefore not buying it.

i couldn't agree more, why reinvent the wheel when there are already great products out there...how many of us spend $800 on a slalom stick, it's only $809 for a turnkey EZ-Slalom course that will work for YEARS (INCLUDES SHIPPING)!!! http://www.ez-slalom.com/ez-slalom-pricelist.asp
split that between 2-3guys and it will improve your game like nothing else will...once you get 3 experienced guys, only takes 15minutes to set (30+minutes if rush and mess something up with an inexperienced crew)...takes about 20minutes to remove, but great beer drinking and hanging out time on the water...have done it for YEARS!!!

Accufloat is basically defunct, unless they started up again their systems are not very available. They're also more complex, and not too portable, they are however submersible. So if you want a submersible you are pretty much looking into buying one of theirs used, or designing your own.

Accufloat is still around, separate company from Accusink, which is no longer...

Bonuses to the ez-slalom, poly rope uses the zip ties, not metal crimps that does help prevent wear into the poly line.
plus less metal on the line, the better because won't ding your gelcoat when you're realing it in...ez-slalom does use fishing anchor weights on the poly lines, but just coat them with liquid rubber and you won't have worries!!!!
[/QUOTE]

bonuses to instaslalom - floatation within the bouy arms keeps them from sagging in the middle, makes them more bouyant.

ez-slalom has this too, even have a better concept for permanent installations becaue the foam soaks water and begins to sag...

Ez-slalom does have a better anchor, i've used those navy anchors that instaslalom sells before, they're not very good, the ones ez-slalom sells are heavier and bite quicker, don't believe it? tie one on your anchor line to your boat and give it a try in some waves.
their anchors once stuck, keep the course good in straight...get some bend if heavy wind across course, but that's going to happen with any course like this...who skis course in chop anyways???

=============================================

i've got a buddy here in New Hampshire who has a USED EZ-Slalom course, turn-key if anyone is interested, including pre-gates...just PM me...perfect condition, only been used for six years...no cuts in the mainline, always removed from the water so clean as can be...easiest to pickup, but could be shipped...sells new for $978 with green novice buoys...think he would let it go for $750 if you're interested, probably even throw in shipping...but much easier to pickup...

=============================================

COMPLETE TURNKEY EZ-SLALOM Portable Slalom Course Systems - Includes absolutely everything you'll need to get rolling. Complete, turnkey systems consist of either of the above portable courses PLUS include our recommended 30 pound river anchors (2), a full set of buoys (24 for a six ball course, 28 with pre-gates), 2 buoy bags and anchor shackles. Just add water!

STANDARD Buoy Arms with Poly Rope Mainline.............$619
COMPACT Buoy Arms with Poly Rope Mainline.............$629
TURNKEY PORTABLE COURSE PRICES............Standard Turnkey $809
............Compact Turnkey $819

Basic Course Systems With Pre-Gates (no buoys)...........Add $120
TURNKEY SYSTEMS WITH PRE-GATES (buoys included)..........Add $130

Turnkey Novice Course option (complete with six buoys and
buoy bag)........Add $49

pilot02
03-30-2006, 11:53 AM
The course I took to Mag Mania was built by me using Ed's plans. You can get everything except for the spring clips locally. Schedule 26 PVC (thin wall) is available at Lowe's though I got it much cheaper at a plumbing supply store. There is some cost savings but the true benefit I found in building my own was that I can repair it if needed.

Also, I saw a comment about flotation in the bouy arms. My course has that as does every one I've dealt with. It's just a 4' section of pipe insulation in the center sections.

LP check your pm..

6ballsisall
03-30-2006, 12:32 PM
and might I add that Pilot02's course worked splendid even in DEEP water. A few extra anchors and more rope and she worked like a charm :dance:

bbeach
03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
I've been skiing on EZ-Slalom courses for several years... The quality of thier product is second to none! EZ uses higher quality materials and has a better design than IS or AF... Installation is about the same on all of them once you get the idea of it and all courses over time will need maintenace which brings us to price and customer service... EZ's are priced well and you get more quality per $ and Customer Service? Well no one gives better customer service than EZ Ed... He's a skier first understands everything from a customer standpoint because he is the demographic! Go with an EZ Slalom you won't regret it...

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I'll add a plug for EZ Slalom. Ed is great. Got my course the other day. Can't wait to get it wet (the 4th was not the right time for a trial run).

kpickett
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I built my own using Ed's plans. Ed was a lot of help over the phone. It was fun to build. But when you total up the cost, I probably only saved a hundred bucks or so. I had the time, so I didn't mind doing the work. If your time is tight, just buy it from Ed.

It is an amazing design. I can't say enough good things about it.

JohnnyB
07-05-2006, 02:23 PM
I've got a good e-article on this from MBO but I can't zip it down to a size that I can post and can't find it on the MBO site....

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 03:09 PM
I've got a good e-article on this from MBO but I can't zip it down to a size that I can post and can't find it on the MBO site....

It's available in the how-to section of www.wakesiderides.com every since MBO disappeared. I just looked at it again last week. It doesn't take you through every step of the process (as it says that EZ Slalom has done that already), but is very helpful when used in conjunction with the EZ Slalom plans.

richardsoncd
07-07-2006, 05:35 PM
James...hurry up and get your course so I can ski on it. Now that you are north of Atlanta where do you ski? You can always come up to Lanier, I even have an empty slip. Let me know brotha. :toast:

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 05:39 PM
I got a PM from a guy in the Northwest who has an instaslalom (barely used) for sale. The price he's asking seemed very reasonable IMO. You just have to add shipping to that, which, of course, isn't cheap. Point is, if anyone wants one of these PM cwright.

LakePirate
07-17-2006, 02:45 AM
James...hurry up and get your course so I can ski on it. Now that you are north of Atlanta where do you ski? You can always come up to Lanier, I even have an empty slip. Let me know brotha. :toast:

Still driving to Bama.

Just got the move completed, problem is the boat is in Bama. (garage not big enough at the apartment)

Let me know when you are going to be skiing up at lanier, I will run up there one morning.

I am still going to make it to Culpeppers

Leroy
07-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Yes, it was him. However a friend and I looked at this close enough with store prices to know we could do it for <$300. You need to ebay the rope or have a good source if you just go to the hardware store and buy the rope at $0.30/ft you will blow your whole budget. We decided we did not have enough time when the water was good to make use of it. We are going to a private lake and for $25/night get as many pulls as we can take on private lake, course set up, boat provided along with instruction.

André
03-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Any one using their portable course as a permanent or at least an all season long one?Anything i should know before i switch from individuals anchors to an E Z slalom style course(Don't know the brand but looks like an EZ slalom or a copy of it).It was given(Hi Brent!;) ) to me by Brent and it's a mainline only but i want to fit bouys arms and i have a couples of questions.
What kind and weight of anchors do you or would you use if you were to leave a portable course full time in?
Looks to be a 1/8" only steel wire,how much tension can it takes and how do you bend that mainline tight and keep it that way?
There are some links at every diamond to attach the PVC pipes.What is normally use to hold the PVC to those links?
Does a mainline ,when seen from the side of the course, sit very horizontal or does it curves toward the bottom of the lakes at the gates and one ball?
Any tips or pics are more then welcome!

Brent
03-22-2007, 09:56 PM
You put eye bolts on the PVC were the boat guilds go & attach the Diamond to them.

3 Cinderblock at each end should suffice as anchors. Tension should not be too much of a problem but one trick is to leave a bouy attached to one of the anchors for adjustment.

André
03-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks buddy!
Do you know if it is a EZ slalom or homemade?
Looks really good anyway...Can't wait!!!

Brent
03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
I believe Michel & Phillipe put that one together. That is the 1st course Michel used around ile Tappet. He had to switch to a permanent with anchors for each ball because of the strong current & weeds!

BeavenX5
03-23-2007, 10:28 AM
We have a custom made portable type course using a SS cable and HW, PVC pipes, etc... and we leave it in the water ready to use all summer long. We only remove it for the winter.

It sits in 25' to 50' of water, 6'-7' under the surface. We keep it fairly deap to avoid any accidents would a large boat with ballast, not that there are any on our lake, decide to go through the course and hit the cable with its prop. It happened to an brand new Xstar on a nearby lake 2 years ago.... major damage to divetrain and the course.

We have a 150 lbs concrete ancor at each end (poured concreat in an 15gal baril and inserted a rod making an "X" through the middle and keeping the loop out as an handle. There is a 125' yellow nylon rope at the deaper end (50' deap) between the SS cable and the ancor and a 75' rope on the 25' deap end. The 2 entrance / exit bouys have longer bungee ropes and sits a bit deaper under water to allow for a greater tention in the SS cable without sinking the red bouys. That is because of the depth of the ancors and the angle of the yellow nylon rope. We use a regular nylon tie-down straps between the rope and cable to easily adjust the tension on the course. Ancors are rarely moving at all but lake level changes weekly.

We custom made the SS hooks going in the PVC pipes out of SS threaded rods and saved a lot of money. We use 5 different diameter of PVC pipes to make the lenth to the turn bouys and need a small jug of milk in the middle of the pipe to keep it strait under water and compensate for its weigh.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions.

Here is a picture of the course to make you wait until May