PDA

View Full Version : New Boom Questions

SD190EVO
09-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Hello-

Just got a new boom. Never used one before so I have a couple of questions. How high should I adjust it over the water and if I am only hanging on the boom do we need a spotter?

Thanks in advance!

Jerseydave
09-26-2004, 08:56 AM
When barefooting, I like the boom around chest high. Have someone drive the boat at speed with the boom mounted loose to the pylon and adjust it then. Our boom had 4 adjustment holes for different hieght skiers.

If your using it to teach new skiers, the higher the better for an upward pull.

Good luck. :)

fletch_n_me
09-27-2004, 12:26 AM
Hey,

I like mine to come off level from the gunwale. It is a bit lower than most of my friends' booms but I don't like to have my arms askew. When the front end planes a bit, it is high enough for me. My only problem is swinging my legs under when I have a superman start working. Seems worse if there are more people in the boat. Anyway, go higher if you use your 5' rope more.

Have a goodun.-Jason

Rockman
09-27-2004, 03:23 PM
SD190EVO,

What kind of boom did you buy? Did it come with a height adjuster if it was a BFI?

Just like the above replies have noted, it it more of comfort than anything. We have the adjuster on our BFI Boom on our BF200. We ski with about 4 different people on the weekends, all of different heights. So each person knows their own hieght by the pin holes and adjusts the boom before they do their runs. This is ok for just footing off the boom.

If you are using a 5 foot line, then you may feel that having the boom up higher feels better when doing tumbles, one footers, backs, etc.

There really is no right way, just the most comfortable for who uses it.

Be careful though that if you have the boom somewhat low, and you turn the boat toward the side the boom is on (when no one is on the boom) not to catch the boom in the water. This will put alot of stress on the cables, the pylon and may even make the boom rub into the gelcoat.

We use a shami (spelling?) that you can get at Target or Walmart for about $10. We get the rag wet and then fold it like you would a bandana (sp?) and tie it around the boom so the gelcoat is protected. This works great.

Happy Boomin'!