PDA

View Full Version : How Honest Are You?

kalanic
03-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Don't know if I would have done the same!

Thanks A Million -- Literally

POSTED: 11:36 am PST March 28, 2006
UPDATED: 12:15 pm PST March 28, 2006

SAUSALITO -- If the old adage that "no good deed goes undone," then San Rafael's John Suhrhoff is about to have a run of great luck.

Suhrhoff was walking in downtown Sausalito Sunday afternoon when he noticed a Louis Vuitton purse abandoned on a park bench. He looked inside, noticed what he thought was costume jewelry and then dropped it off with the contents intact at a local police station, according to Sgt. Kurtis Skoog.

But what Suhrhoff didn't know was that the jewelry was real.

"Obviously, people find purses and turn them in, but, from my memory, I can't remember anyone returning that valuable an amount of property," Skoog told the Marin Independent Journal.

The purse belonged to Shahla Ghannadian, who was in the Bay Area from the family's Toronto home for her daughter wedding. The jewelry was made of pearls, emeralds and diamonds, including a 12-carat stone, and had a value of $1 million.

Ghannadian kept the jewels she wore at her daughter's wedding in her purse for safe keeping. But when she gave it to her husband for safekeeping while they toured Sausalito, he left it on a bench near the Bank of America on city's main street of Bridgeway.

The husband's absentmindedness was not discovered until the family arrived back at their hotel in San Francisco. Ghannadian was grief-stricken.

"My mom started crying," Ali Ghannadian, the couple's son, told the IJ. "We had the perfect wedding, the perfect weekend, up until a few hours before departure."

The depth of the family's despair equaled their surprise when they got the call telling them the bag had been discovered.

"You have to be a real man to return that bag," Ali Ghannadian told the paper. "Even the bag is expensive. We're really, really thankful to that guy."

Leroy
03-28-2006, 05:56 PM
But it would make you think!

6ballsisall
03-28-2006, 05:57 PM
nice to see there are still a few honest people out there.

Cousin_Jeff
03-28-2006, 05:59 PM
:twocents: For the sake of discussion, I think it would be easier to return jewelry or a tangible item as opposed to cash. I would like to think that it wouldn't matter what it was b/c if it doesn't belong to me I should return it. I am just saying cash spends a lot quicker than jewels and it might be tougher to not be tempted to just keep it.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
kalanic, you forgot the "UMP" option in the poll. :firejump:

It could have been any of these:

"Call UMP get his advice, after all, he is better than Dr.Phil"

"Give the money to the humane society, UMP's favorite Charity"

"Give it back to the rightful owner after UMP's advice, but kindly ask for a few bucks of gas money for UMP's boat as a peace gesture"
:uglyhamme

But, in all seriousness, I voted Give it back to the owner, whats right it right. I believe in one thing very stongly, the golden rule. Treat others as you want to be treated. Live by that, I mean really live by it, and you will be fine in the end. You conscience will give you peace, otherwise it will haunt you forever. What comes around, goes around in my book. Fate, Karma, luck, whatever you want to call it, it all comes out in the wash. Do the right thing, always. (now you can see why I am not a very good car salesman. I make enough to get by, and thats it :rolleyes: )

kalanic
03-28-2006, 06:10 PM
kalanic, you forgot the "UMP" option in the poll. :firejump:

It could have been any of these:

"Call UMP get his advice, after all, he is better than Dr.Phil"

"Give the money to the humane society, UMP's favorite Charity"

"Give it back to the rightful owner after UMP's advice, but kindly ask for a few bucks of gas money for UMP's boat as a peace gesture"
:uglyhamme

But, in all seriousness, I voted Give it back to the owner, whats right it right. I believe in one thing very stongly, the golden rule. Treat others as you want to be treated. Live by that, I mean really live by it, and you will be fine in the end. You conscience will give you peace, otherwise it will haunt you forever. What comes around, goes around in my book. Fate, Karma, luck, whatever you want to call it, it all comes out in the wash. Do the right thing, always. (now you can see why I am not a very good car salesman. I make enough to get by, and thats it :rolleyes: )
Sorry UMP! I'll include ya on the next one! I 100% agree with ya on the Karma thing! I live by it & have turned in a few wallets with money still in it. Got nothin in return but thats ok. Just leads back to the Karma! If I found jewels I would automaticly thick "fake" & probably leave it alone. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is!

Leroy
03-28-2006, 06:16 PM
I think if almost anyone found a wallet with $50 in it they would turn it in to lost and found or try to find the owner. If you found $1M it shouldn't, but it makes me think again!

MYMC
03-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Leaving the Master's tournament a couple of years ago Maeghan and I saw a guy in the back of a pick-up truck loose his wallet. We stopped picked it up and returned Fed-Ex'd it to him. Never gave it a second thought...I would hope anyone else would do the same.

That being said most days it would seem like the phrase should be "no good deed goes unpunished".

03-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Oh I am sure if it was $1 Million dollars it would make me think twice two Leroy, but I know me, and I would have to give it to the police or contact the owner and return it.

Hoosier Bob
03-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Jewels I would have done the same however a big ole box of SnapOn tools and I never saw it! ;) Actually I am very honest due to the fact I have a guilty conscience. :o
PS Last year on one of my 5 a.m. skiing trips I found a wallet with $80.00 inside. The wallet was owned by an 18 year old from Fishers. The address did not cross but after awhile I found a relative that located the teenager. Wallet was delivered and he offered $20 bucks finders fee which I refused. To an 18 year old $20 bucks is serious! :D

JEREMY79
03-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Whats right is right. I would have to return it. Still makes you wonder about yourself though.

bcampbe7
03-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah I would return in.

While in College I found a cell phone outside of a movie theater. I went through the contacts and found "Mom" and called the number.
Her son had indeed lost his cell phone so I left my number for him to call back. He called back, described the phone and said he would pick it up later.

The thought never crossed my mind to sell or keep the phone.

03-28-2006, 07:46 PM
To an 18 year old $20 bucks is serious! :D

Actually HB, $20 isnt THAT serious to a teenager these days, its just that you are sooo old, that way back when you were a teenager, $20 REALLY WAS ALOT of money!!! ;) I mean imagine how many 8 track tapes that would have bought you!!! :wavey: :firejump:

Hoosier Bob
03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
I know exactly how many 8-tracks that would be SA! :D Actually HB, $20 isnt THAT serious to a teenager these days, its just that you are sooo old, that way back when you were a teenager, $20 REALLY WAS ALOT of money!!! ;) I mean imagine how many 8 track tapes that would have bought you!!! :wavey: :firejump:

tommcat
03-28-2006, 08:57 PM
has anyone considered that someone dumb enough to walk around with a million bucks in jewels in their purse and then forget it in the park is either
A- so stupid they deserve to lose it or
B- so rich they deserve to lose it?

flipper
03-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Don't know about the X-80 part, but anyone that has million laying around, can afford to kick at least a little down to the poor folk like me!

Mag_Red
03-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Give it back with out a thought, What goes around, comes around. :o

6ballsisall
03-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Give it back with out a thought, What goes around, comes around. :o

Mag would be interviewing the owner of the jewels. You know, to see if she can be the next Boat mate :D :woohoo:

03-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I know exactly how many 8-tracks that would be SA! :D

Talk to me goose. How many 8 Tracks?

Freddie Fenders greatest hit(yes one song ;) ), Frampton Comes ALive, soundtrack to Grease, KISS Alive II, Air Supply's greatest hits, The Bee Gees greatest Hits, AM GOLD, and last but not least, Barry Manilows greatest hits.

any of these 8 Track tapes still in your Chevy Luv pickup HB?? :popcorn: I think we all know that answer to that.....

tex
03-28-2006, 09:50 PM
When I was skiing in Keystone, I was walking to the slopes and noticed a fresh clean $100 bill on the ground next to a group of Aussies. It was close enough to know that it was their's but far enough away that I could have payed for my bar bill that afternoon. I snatched it up and gave it to the dudes and they did not even offer up a thank you. I just chuckled and almost wished that I would kept it and ordered Aussie beers with it later in the day. They must have been raised in the outback with no manners!

SKI*MC
03-28-2006, 09:50 PM
I would put it back, i couldn't live with myself knowing i stole something like that from someone.

tommcat
03-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I would put it back, i couldn't live with myself knowing i stole something like that from someone.
but you didnt steal it, you found it

JEREMY79
03-28-2006, 09:56 PM
but you didnt steal it, you found it
Still, whats right is right.

Hoosier Bob
03-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Almost makes you want to test them first to see if they run by the same rules as you. Good day mate, didn't happen to lose a $100 did you? Why you seen it? What me? NO! Now if he had said something like, "Oh my gosh did you find it my friend?" The answer would be yes and he would offer you an upside down pint! ;) When I was skiing in Keystone, I was walking to the slopes and noticed a fresh clean $100 bill on the ground next to a group of Aussies. It was close enough to know that it was their's but far enough away that I could have payed for my bar bill that afternoon. I snatched it up and gave it to the dudes and they did not even offer up a thank you. I just chuckled and almost wished that I would kept it and ordered Aussie beers with it later in the day. They must have been raised in the outback with no manners!

pilot02
03-28-2006, 10:46 PM
I think if almost anyone found a wallet with $50 in it they would turn it in to lost and found or try to find the owner. If you found $1M it shouldn't, but it makes me think again!

I will say that on Feb 19th while snow skiing in NC (Hawksnest), I lost my wallet on a slope after a horrible fall 100yd slider/flipper and 2hrs later a guy brought it into the lodge, had me paged and returned it cash in tact to me personally. I only had $30 or so in it at the time and gave him $20. The irony was that I was on a boy scout trip and was riding with another parent who'd left his wallet home and I was funding the gas/food for the trip. Sometimes, things just work out!

tex
03-28-2006, 11:39 PM
that's the way they should.

tommcat
03-29-2006, 08:39 AM
i still say losing your wallet is different than walking around with a million in jewels and then forgetting it on a park bench.
i'm nervous walking around with five hundred bucks in my pocket, i certainly wouldnt forget it somewhere.