PDA

View Full Version : New Skins on my 86 MC Complete!

Tom Wortham
03-27-2006, 03:55 PM
:friday: Well, it's finally complete..... :woohoo: New carpet and skins I got from MC are on my boat. I'll try to load a few pictures... They have a few shadows, but will take some better shots once I get it out on the water. Excited and wanted to share. Project is compelte.... Boat is LIKE NEW! Can't wait to get in the water.... just need some water in those Texas lakes. :eek:

Tom Wortham
03-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Two more shots.

east tx skier
03-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Tom, everything looks great!

EFiles
03-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Very nice! Did you do the work yourself or did you have it done? I've got a complete set of skins waiting to go in my '87. I need to do carpet as well and I'm wondering how big a job that is going to be.

G-man
03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Tom

You have something to be proud of. Great looking. Photo tips from a past life, turn on your flash even in the sun to reduce shadows. Most digital cameras let you do this.

Tom Wortham
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks, but these were taken with my Treo/phone... better photos to follow.
Tom

You have something to be proud of. Great looking. Photo tips from a past life, turn on your flash even in the sun to reduce shadows. Most digital cameras let you do this.

Tom Wortham
03-27-2006, 04:17 PM
I had it done. Great little shop down off Cedar Creek. I got such a great deal... it was worth the few bucks to have it done. With two little ones.. (4 and 6) that is where I wanted to spend my time. Good luck with yours!
Very nice! Did you do the work yourself or did you have it done? I've got a complete set of skins waiting to go in my '87. I need to do carpet as well and I'm wondering how big a job that is going to be.

Tom Wortham
03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks Doug.... I am very please as well... just wish I did it sooner.

Kevin 89MC
03-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Wow, looks great! Someday I'll get around to mine. For now I can enjoy looking at yours!

erkoehler
03-27-2006, 04:54 PM
WOW, looks great....enjoy it:)

JohnnyB
03-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Looks awesome.....skins are from aftermarket upholsterer.....they did an awesome job. I assume they had old skins to work with....did they match well (if memory serves well, it looks like they did).

Can you share the price tag for the whole set of skins?

TMCNo1
03-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Looks terrific, can't tell it's not original! Enjoy your new boat!

Brian
03-27-2006, 09:54 PM
i have an '85...do you mind telling us what the skins cost and where you got them? how long for shipping? thanks and it looks great

Tom Wortham
04-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Johnny B, These are MC skins I ordered through Barrett's (sp?). The entire set came from MC out of TN. (HQ). Skins for the whole boat ran about $800-$900 if my memory is correct. I heard they were going to stop making the multi color / older boat skins... so I jumped on a set. Carpet came from the shop that took the old off an put the new ones on. Carpet, New Rear View mirror, old skins off and new skins on cost me $760. So out the door everying done turn key.... $1,500. I could have saved the $760 doing it myself.... just would rather have the time with the family. Thanks.

Looks awesome.....skins are from aftermarket upholsterer.....they did an awesome job. I assume they had old skins to work with....did they match well (if memory serves well, it looks like they did).

Can you share the price tag for the whole set of skins?

Tom Wortham
04-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Brian, Not sure you can still get them through MC. Call Estaban at Bennetts. 800-869-7297. Great Guy! Skins ran right at $800... they had a special when I bought them in December 2004. It's sad that it took me this long to get them on. :uglyhamme I decided to run the 2005 season out with the old skins on it... Very please the way it came out. Thanks.
i have an '85...do you mind telling us what the skins cost and where you got them? how long for shipping? thanks and it looks great

6ballsisall
04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
:toast: That looks absolutely awesome!! Nice work Tom!!

stumbledog
04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Brian, Not sure you can still get them through MC. Call Estaban at Bennetts. 800-869-7297. Great Guy! Skins ran right at $800... they had a special when I bought them in December 2004. It's sad that it took me this long to get them on. :uglyhamme I decided to run the 2005 season out with the old skins on it... Very please the way it came out. Thanks.

What and where is Bennetts?

HdGPS190
04-03-2006, 04:00 PM
http://bennetts.mastercraft.com/

EFiles
04-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Did they replace the carpet all the way up past the observer seat under the closed bow? Also, did they have to loosen up the motor mount plate where the carpet meets the engine compartment?

I ran the 2005 season with my new skins sitting in a box, too. From your post it looks like it's not quite as pricey as I feared. Time to find an installer and get it done!

BuoyChaser
04-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Tom what did they use to restuff the seats with, the same polyfill???for being original my 85 seats are in great shape, didn't realize how reasonable new carpeting and upholestery really is...so much nicer getting same Jeep Seat material rather than the upgrades to vinyl I've seen...

bobk
04-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Nice work!!! :dance:

Great pics also.

How long did it take?

Tom Wortham
04-05-2006, 04:33 PM
I did not run the carpet all the way up. Just past the kick plate. Carpet was in great condition the rest of the way up. You have to stick your head have way in (under the windshield) to see the seam. Very Pleased. Regarding the engin mounts... I don't think they removed the bolts and put it underneath. I'll see how well that hold... if not.

Tom Wortham
04-05-2006, 04:35 PM
I was not in a big hurry... So I left it with them for a month. I wouldn't think the job would take more than a week at any normal shop. This is small "local" shop. And I gave them plenty of time... since the water is so low.... and still a little chilly. (For Texas)

WTRSK1R
04-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Really Nice Work. As you said, Looks Brand New.

34fordoutlaw
05-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Where did you find the skins, MC is telling me that they are out and will not be ordering any more for the older boats. I have an 85 that needs the same TLC you gave yours.
Thanks Ronald

MarkP
05-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Where did you find the skins, MC is telling me that they are out and will not be ordering any more for the older boats. I have an 85 that needs the same TLC you gave yours.
Thanks RonaldWelcome aboard!!! Try this for now http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103135&postcount=4 Good luck..

BuoyChaser
05-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Welcome aboard!!! Try this for now http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103135&postcount=4 Good luck..
how about the screws/caps that go on the side panels for my 1985 MasterCraft...could easily take one out to find a replacement at Fastenal, but did a search and couldn't find any specific details...

buttons look like those will be most difficult to find...i'm only missing 2...

put a call into Bennetts, their checking on availability and pricing...

this was the only search that had anything close, but not on the 1985 Stars & Stripes:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1481&highlight=side+panel

mtripper
05-04-2006, 01:31 PM
That looks great! I used to have that same boat with even the same graphics. Mine wasn't in as nice as shape as yours though. Looks like a great job.

BuoyChaser
05-30-2006, 02:45 PM
according to CONTACT US -> PARTS the skins are still available direct from MC, my bigger question is what about the buttons and the screws???

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=ContactUsForm&contactWith_f=Parts

Q: What is the availability for upholstery for my boat?
A: Replacement skins only for 1984 - 1986 Dlx. Skier.
Replacement skins only for 1987 - 1997 ProStar 190.
Replacement skins only for 1992 - 1997 ProStar 205.
Replacement skins or completes available on all models 1998 - Present.

Tom Wortham
06-01-2006, 06:06 PM
They came with the Button Covers that go on the running boards, but no screws. Screws are extra. :uglyhamme

BuoyChaser
06-01-2006, 06:11 PM
They came with the Button Covers that go on the running boards, but no screws. Screws are extra. :uglyhamme
sweet, screws are the easy part...how about the white caps that the covers snap onto???

Tom Wortham
06-02-2006, 12:35 PM
sweet, screws are the easy part...how about the white caps that the covers snap onto???

You are talking about the clear/white plactic washer that goes on then the "button cover" snaps to it... correct?

Did not come with those either.... Mine were in good enough shape... I was able to re-use mine.

1,100 hours Impressive... How long have you owned your 85? Have you had to do any engine rebuild? I have hear they are rated for 1,000 hours... is that right? I have heard of a few on this board with 4,000 or more. That's why I have held onto mine... Not sure I will ever sell...
Sad to say I have put less than 200 hours on mine since I bought it with 286 hours.... I have owned it for 11 years now.. I know... sad. But with the boys getting older... it's about to get a real work out....
Good Luck.

BuoyChaser
06-02-2006, 01:11 PM
You are talking about the clear/white plactic washer that goes on then the "button cover" snaps to it... correct?

Did not come with those either.... Mine were in good enough shape... I was able to re-use mine.

1,100 hours Impressive... How long have you owned your 85? Have you had to do any engine rebuild? I have hear they are rated for 1,000 hours... is that right? I have heard of a few on this board with 4,000 or more. That's why I have held onto mine... Not sure I will ever sell...
Sad to say I have put less than 200 hours on mine since I bought it with 286 hours.... I have owned it for 11 years now.. I know... sad. But with the boys getting older... it's about to get a real work out....
Good Luck.

yes those are it, the white plastic caps...i'm missing at least two...should be able to do a search and find some...

i bought the boat late summer of 2000 with 430hrs...so i've put the most hours on the boat and it runs the same since i picked her up from 2nd owner in Columbus, Ohio (who was friends with the original owner, that I got to meet)...they always trailered the boat from their garage to rivers and reservoirs...my dad bought his 1985 in 1995 with 220hrs and we ran her a lot until 900hrs, just sold last fall to a guy in Tennesee...we never had to do any engine work to either...key is replacing oil/tranny fluid every year, along with new cap/rotor and she'll never miss or run bad and keep it running into the next 1000hrs plus...

on my 85 they always ran Castrol Syntec oil, stuff is great...sure that helped extend the life as well...less likely to break down with natural moisture/condensation that occurs with boats...

i've got a buddy with Banana George Blair's 86 Barefoot Nautique with over 3000 registered hours, grant it is a 454...but still running strong with a lot of hard barefoot and wakeboard hours...

pwillcutts
06-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Fantastic job Tom !!! Looks real sharp !!!

I just did my boat too....'cept I couldn't get original skins.....but ain't is great to feel like you own a new boat again !!???? :toast:
Enjoy !!!

Mi.mc
06-04-2006, 06:53 PM
hey tom is that an fj 40 in your avatar? my dad used to collect those..

by the way your boat looks great

88 PS190
06-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Cam I dunno if you could say that he "collected" FJ's just that we always had them.

And then there was one... The salmon wagon. Of all the ones we owned. Those w/ corvette engines and a 4 speed etc. the salmon wagon took the cake.

It was yellow and rusty. but not just yellow and rusty it had 5 or 6 yellows and 7 or 8 different colors of rust.

The roll bar was fully functional, though the roof was alarmingly hard to take down compared to others, and the window latches to fold the window down and lock it were not all that operational.

Eclectic stickers proclaiming it to be the salmon wagon were hold overs from the previous owners, and if you eyed the drivers door from an angle in the right light you could read the remains of what used to be a sticker from some off road racing thing the owner did.

The salmon wagon was then mounted with a plow. A narrow plow that it had trouble guiding down the road, and due to low ground clearance we didn't "plow" the road. The road plowed us.

With that old FJ hung up on drifts of snow blown up to the road from the lake adventure was sure to happen.

But of all the adventures I ever undertook the removal of a fishing hook from my foot took the cake.

The salmon wagon liked to hide things so that in the year or so we'd already had the thing i'd failed to notice a coiled fishing string running down the roll cage. that was until the hook at its end peirced the top of my foot through a pair of water shoes (I had to be around 8) There in the back on those funny sideways jump seat i had to pry the thing out of my foot, as the line was still tied to the roll bar. That was pain in its purest.

Only other thing to say about the salmon wagon was the perpetual foot deep pile of car parts in the rear. Probably the hole of the heads, plus a few fly wheels, a couple sets of rotors etc. as this was the last Land Cruiser and therefore, full of all the accumulation of junk that you could imagine.

The salmon wagon sat for most of my childhood in the garage in Michigan next to clarence, the 51 chevy 3100 that still is sitting in PA to be restored to this day.

But the two of them... wow.. that made for some fun times. As we were to young to start it, dad would be in IL and mom didn't know how to start it, so we had the pleasure of pushing the two of them out of the garage to sweep and clean....

great fun... FJ's... wonder if the new ones are more fun?

ps. doubt you remember this cam, but if you do... did you ever see EL Salmon drag the old bomber bass boat up north? Those were the adventure days.

Tom Wortham
06-07-2006, 03:57 PM
hey tom is that an fj 40 in your avatar? my dad used to collect those..

by the way your boat looks great
Mi.mc,
Yeah... it's a FJ40. My father purchased it in June 1973. First owner bought it in March 1973... (his daughter did not like it and sold it to my father). My father taught me how to drive in this car. I drove this car all through High School and College. 4 years ago... I got it back to its org. condition... and added AC to it. It is truely priceless to me.
Glad you like the MC. It now looks new.... as well as runs great. Cheers.

Tom Wortham
06-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Fantastic job Tom !!! Looks real sharp !!!

I just did my boat too....'cept I couldn't get original skins.....but ain't is great to feel like you own a new boat again !!???? :toast:
Enjoy !!!

Any Pictures?

east tx skier
06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Happy Bday, Tom!

pwillcutts
06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Any Pictures?

lots of before & after pics. :headbang: see the thread titled:
"new Upholstery Job 99% Complete !!!!!"

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9040

Tom Wortham
06-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Happy Bday, Tom!
Thanks Doug.

Tom Wortham
06-09-2006, 10:59 AM
lots of before & after pics. :headbang: see the thread titled:
"new Upholstery Job 99% Complete !!!!!"

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9040
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: Looks great!

Fancy
06-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Tom,
Any chance you can show me a photo of the outside of your boat? I'm getting my 86 Mastercraft painted/gel-coated and I know nothing about getting this kind of work done. The guy giving me an estimate asked if I wanted marine paint on everything from the waterline down and use automotive paint on the top? I have no idea if its wise to do that or not. I also contacted a MC team member who has some decals to sell and he said an 86 is not the Stars and Stripes model like I thought, but instead had a rainbow decal design. I can see the outline of the Mastercraft lettering and a star at the beginning and end of the lettering but that's about all I have to go on. I haven't been able to find pictures of an 86 on line to see what the decals looked like originally. If anyone has words of advice or photos of an 86 I'd be so grateful. Here's my baby...BEFORE (http://fancyfrog.com/fancy/2006/cleaningmastercraft.jpg)
After she's painted and the upholstery is done I'll post an after photo too! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Tom Wortham
06-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Tom,
Any chance you can show me a photo of the outside of your boat? I'm getting my 86 Mastercraft painted/gel-coated and I know nothing about getting this kind of work done. The guy giving me an estimate asked if I wanted marine paint on everything from the waterline down and use automotive paint on the top? I have no idea if its wise to do that or not. I also contacted a MC team member who has some decals to sell and he said an 86 is not the Stars and Stripes model like I thought, but instead had a rainbow decal design. I can see the outline of the Mastercraft lettering and a star at the beginning and end of the lettering but that's about all I have to go on. I haven't been able to find pictures of an 86 on line to see what the decals looked like originally. If anyone has words of advice or photos of an 86 I'd be so grateful. Here's my baby...BEFORE (http://fancyfrog.com/fancy/2006/cleaningmastercraft.jpg)
After she's painted and the upholstery is done I'll post an after photo too! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Fancy... Click the camera under my name that has the #4 next to the number of pictures.... two of those pics should tell you what you need to know. Have a ttached a few more as well.

My understanding of the 86... it was the last "mold" as the stars and stripes... they just went heavy with the decals.
The boats where made in Grey, White and Tan.... looks like yours is a grey boat as well.
There a few other 86 owners... on this board... do a "search" for 86 boats... and you should get some more decal shots.
How many hours do you have on it?

BuoyChaser
06-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Tom,
boy that's a nice lookin' baby, WOW, tough to see the boat though... :friday:

Fancy
06-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Perfect! I copied your photos and will take them to the painter...exactly what I needed. I've decided to change the original colors but will keep the rainbow design. I bought the boat from my ski team at UCSD when they upgraded in 2002, they had just replaced the engine but an opportunity to upgrade presented itself so I was lucky to pick the boat up at a bargain price. I think the years of hard use in the salt water of mission bay probably is why the decals were skied off. The rainbow is paint not decals...right? Thanks for your help...oh and BuoyChaser..I'll try to find a bikini to match the new color scheme just for you!

BuoyChaser
06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
BuoyChaser..I'll try to find a bikini to match the new color scheme just for you!
your so kind, thanks for keeping that slack tight!!!

Tom Wortham
06-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Perfect! I copied your photos and will take them to the painter...exactly what I needed. I've decided to change the original colors but will keep the rainbow design. I bought the boat from my ski team at UCSD when they upgraded in 2002, they had just replaced the engine but an opportunity to upgrade presented itself so I was lucky to pick the boat up at a bargain price. I think the years of hard use in the salt water of mission bay probably is why the decals were skied off. The rainbow is paint not decals...right? Thanks for your help...oh and BuoyChaser..I'll try to find a bikini to match the new color scheme just for you!

ALL are decals... even the big ones on the side.... I know this for a fact.... I have a few scratches in them. :noface: Not bad enough to replace. Good Luck.

Scot
06-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Fancy... Click the camera under my name that has the #4 next to the number of pictures.... two of those pics should tell you what you need to know. Have a ttached a few more as well.

My understanding of the 86... it was the last "mold" as the stars and stripes... they just went heavy with the decals.
The boats where made in Grey, White and Tan.... looks like yours is a grey boat as well.
There a few other 86 owners... on this board... do a "search" for 86 boats... and you should get some more decal shots.
How many hours do you have on it?
Here are some pics of my 86 with the rainbow stripes removed. (the way I bought it) I prefer it without the stripes. Way too much decal for me.... But yours look to be in great shape and would not remove them. IMO I would start with the interier replacement skins from MC, if available.

If you decide to remove the decals, you might have serious fading that you might not like.

Tom Wortham
06-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Very nice. The white looks great... and I know it will stay cooler than the grey. :eek:
Got my new MC skins on as well. Now I need to put some hours on her. Enjoy my fellow 86 owner. :friday:

Fancy
07-09-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm so close to having the boat done I can taste it! (does not taste like chicken) Big Thanks to many of you that offered help and advice while I figured out what to do with my 86 MasterCraft. I'm very pleased with the results and all that's left is to put the registration numbers on and pick out new carpet. I used the hints I found in the forum here to refinish the teak swim plateform and it came out great.

86 MasterCraft After Image 1 (http://fancyfrog.com/fancy/images/2006/teammc1.jpg)
86 MasterCraft After Image 2 (http://fancyfrog.com/fancy/images/2006/teammc2.jpg)

I designed the graphic for the back using PhotoShop and a combination of water waves and seismic waves while maintaining the original rainbow design, then had it transformed into a decal. I wanted something special on the back and the "Rock Doc" refers to my upcoming PhD in Geo-Physics, hmm...that is if I can still afford to get the doctorate after I finish with this boat!
86 MasterCraft Rear Graphics Image (http://fancyfrog.com/fancy/images/2006/teammc3.jpg)

Thanks again for the support...

TMCNo1
07-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Really looks good, and we know you are proud of all the hard work and time spent!

cgarmon
07-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Looks Great! I have a 86' just like it. Of course my does not look as nice as yours.

Tom Wortham
07-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Post some pictures. Always enjoy looking at the older models.

woodskier
03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Looking for new skins for my 84 Stars and Strips, ( blue and Grey)I was told a year ago the factory stopped making them. Where and when did you get yours? They look great

Pete
03-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Tom-
Did you get the skins righ tfrom MC? I am curious if I will be able to get skins for my 94 PS from MC?
Pete

Tom Wortham
03-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Looking for new skins for my 84 Stars and Strips, ( blue and Grey)I was told a year ago the factory stopped making them. Where and when did you get yours? They look great

Woodskier and Pete,
It's been over a year... read the entire thread... and you will find what you need.:D

Glad to see this thread is still alive...
Great to see mid 80s' boats out there.
Cheers.

87MC owner
03-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Tom, when having your skins made, did you take the entire boat in and have it done completely by the shop or did you install anything yourself? The piping looks great too! My 87 is in need of a few skins too and i am still looking for the original material!! Cant find it.

TMCNo1
03-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Tom-
Did you get the skins righ tfrom MC? I am curious if I will be able to get skins for my 94 PS from MC?
Pete
As last we heard, there are no replacement skins available for MC's prior to 1997 from MC. That may have changed to a later year by now. Have you read this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8439
It might be worth a phone call to him to see what he can do for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Wortham
04-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Tom, when having your skins made, did you take the entire boat in and have it done completely by the shop or did you install anything yourself? The piping looks great too! My 87 is in need of a few skins too and i am still looking for the original material!! Cant find it.

Thanks.
I took the whole boat in. When they took everything out... I had them put in new carpet as well. The skins were already together (including the piping). The shop that did the carpet... took off the old skins and put on the new ones. Easy job for them.... Cost me $700 to have the old skins and old carpet removed, new skins and new carpet installed. I was very impressed with the material from MC. It's too bad they stopped making it.

jkarp2112
11-03-2008, 05:04 AM
I had it done. Great little shop down off Cedar Creek. I got such a great deal... it was worth the few bucks to have it done. With two little ones.. (4 and 6) that is where I wanted to spend my time. Good luck with yours!

**Don't know if this thread is old and gone, but, where did you get the original skins from ?

I also have an 86' PS (Red) and need to replace.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it all cost ?

thx...jeff