View Full Version : HOWTO: Reupholster rear bench back ('93 Prostar)

03-27-2006, 03:06 PM
The previous owner of my boat didn't use the back seat very much. He kept it in his garage and his cat decided it would be a good place to test its claws. Ironically, the back seat was the piece of vinyl that was in the worst shape in the whole boat, and he didn't even keep it in there!! Since I was replacing the vinyl for the cushion (link (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7933)), I decided to replaced the back as well, so that the color would match. I ordered the replacement skin from Bennett's and went to work.

Here is what I started with.



Start by removing the plastic trays and the staples around the bottom edge. I used a small screwdriver to pry the staples.


Work around the frame removing more staples.


03-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Here is the seat with the vinyl removed.


As most of you know, it is impossible to get replacement skins from Mastercraft with colors to match the original skins. The new skins are all white. Luckily for me, the only damage to my old skins was to the white part. So, I cut the colored section out of the old skin and sewed it in the proper place on the new skin. I had a friend with a sewing machine do this for me. It is actually not that difficult, a relatively straight seam.

Here is the new/old skin mocked in to place.


The old portion was already trimmed to fit, so there is not much adjustment, just staple it back where it was.


Now I used some of the experience from re-covering the cushion. I just placed a few staples away from the edge to test fit the cover. When everything fits right I'll go back and place the staples along the edge.


03-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Ok, now I ran into a problem. Not matter what I did I could not get the front corners to fit right. There was just too much material and it was all bunched up and wrinkled. There is a seam that runs at a 45 degree angle to form the corner. I cut the seam out up to the corner and moved it to take the extra material out. This involved a ton of patience to get the seam right so I didn't destroy my nice new cover! Once I knew where I wanted it, I pulled the cover off and sewed the new seam on each side with a machine. I tried to do it by hand, trust me it won't look right.



Once everything fits properly, place all of the finishing staples in and trim off the excess.


Just like the cushion, the Mastercraft skins did not come with the piping that ran around the outside of the frame. A trip to the fabric store for some white marine vinyl and piping cord, and I was able to make my own.


03-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Staple the black mesh back into place, add the trim along the bottom inside edge, and replace the plastic bins.


Here is it with the recovered cushion as well.


I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I was quoted about $500 for just the back to be recovered, so I also saved a few bucks.

Kevin 89MC
03-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Brian, very nicely done!! Wow! I hope mine will look as good. I will be starting with my observer's seat cushion soon. If that rectangle isn't too bad, I'll tackle the rest of the boat in the next few years. Very good write-up and pictures too. Sweet! :worthy: